PDA

View Full Version : Several things that don't deserve their own threads

Seharvepernfan
2013-03-02, 07:52 AM
1. How do you decide whether or not a given npc has a set of MW artisans' tools as opposed to non-MW?

2. Do you, personally, bother with the different weapons sizes for small and medium races? I mean, with like a ranseur or something, you need to, but say you have a goblin with a "shortbow" that is actually a longbow for him? Would you rule that he's actually using a small-sized longbow that a human would get a penalty with? Or do you just say it's a shortbow?

3. Take a look at this race: small
base speed 20ft.
-2 con, +2 cha
darkvision 60ft.
poison use
+1 nat armor
+2 craft (poison), +2 craft (traps)
+2 search
Without knowing what they are, or what their fluff is like, what would you predict that an average 1st-level warrior of that race would be equipped with, and what general tactics would it use? I'm not necessarily asking for a long answer.

Bakkan
2013-03-02, 08:07 AM
1. Generally, the master of a crafting service, or someone who works on his own, will have MW tools. Appretices and helpers generally won't. The exception to this is very affluent enterprises in large communities, where even the apprentices have MW tools and that's one of the distinguishing features of the place.

2. I use the 3.5 rules. In particular, a Longbow sized for a Small creature is not the same as a Shortbow sized for a Medium creature. They are two different weapons. Using a weapon not sized for you, if even possible at all, will impose penalties. And yes, I do keep track of what size weapons and armor my NPCs are using.

3. Since they don't have an intelligence penalty, this race is capable of using intelligent tactics. Therefore, their 1st-level warriors should be split up into different specialities that work together. For insance:

The Front-Liners: Greatsword (no Str penalty is nice on a Small race), Chain Shirt (if the community can afford it), feats include Power Attack. Only used for those who have a high initial Con because of the penalty.

The Support: Poison-tipped arrows, (composite) longbow, leather armor, maxed hide and move silently, feats include Rapid Shot. Most of the race's warriors should be in this group.

SilverLeaf167
2013-03-02, 08:11 AM
3. I agree with Bakkan about the warriors, but I would also expect the race to put those traps to good use, perhaps together with their poisons. Poisonous spike traps, poisonous gases...

Miranius
2013-03-02, 08:12 AM
1. I guess it would depend on how much customers the NPC is getting/how good business is or if they are somehow inherited (same shop led by the same bowmaking family....) oooor... maybe the NPS had an adventure or two himself and looted it. Guess it depends either on net wealth or backstory.

2. i would just say it`s a shortbow. if the PC is a good roleplayer, maybe he`ll set aside an hour or two to adjust the grip, but i wouldn`t change mechanics or anything like that.

3. poisoned caltrops and/or darts. the con-penalty would make hin into a hit-and-run fighter for me, so... maybe a net or marbles to make his escape.
If he and/or his employer is smart, a falsified map to his "lair" that will lead the PC`s right into prepared traps/ambushes.

Hope that helped. Cheers, Miranius

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-03-02, 08:14 AM
1. The DMG has a table for determining NPC WBL (their significantly poorer than PC's) decide whether MW tools are a reasonable expenditure at that level. Craftsmen should probably have tools pretty early since that skill check is their livelihood.

2. I usually don't bother, even though reasonably the grips would be wrong even if structurally the two were identical.

3. Well, they probably want to deliver poison from as safe a distance as possible since they're squishy (-2 con). Since Longbows are expensive either shortbow or heavy crossbow. Or better Javelins which could be used either as weapons or as spikes and such in traps.

nedz
2013-03-02, 08:41 AM
1. It depends. Is it a skill which the NPC uses all of the time professionally ? Is the NPC successful ? Would having an expensive tool be useful, i.e. are the DCs of their typical skill usage high enough for it to be worthwhile ? What are the traits of the NPC, i.e. are they diligent or careless, etc. ?

2. It depends upon the weapon. A medium short spear is a small spear, but a medium long sword is not a small greatsword.

3. Poisoned missile weapons.

Seharvepernfan
2013-03-02, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the input, folks!

Rainbownaga
2013-03-02, 05:24 PM
Was pondering number two, but my brain broke when I realised a fine longbow can out-range a medium sized shortbow.

Considering how unrealistic the weapon rules are generally, and that small characters in fiction never seem to have two much trouble using weapons made for larger creatures, I prefer the 3.0 rule.

HalfQuart
2013-03-02, 06:10 PM
base speed 20ft.
-2 con, +2 cha
darkvision 60ft.
poison use
+1 nat armor
+2 search
Without knowing what they are, or what their fluff is like, what would you predict that an average 1st-level warrior of that race would be equipped with, and what general tactics would it use? I'm not necessarily asking for a long answer.
Darkvision combined with a bonus to search makes me think of miners.. so I'd say a Pick. Tactics would involve traps and ambushes. Frankly it reminds me a kobolds.

Saidoro
2013-03-02, 07:09 PM
1. How do you decide whether or not a given npc has a set of MW artisans' tools as opposed to non-MW?If they could reasonably afford them they can have them. So basically, if they're part of some large established and successful business they've probably saved up for them at some point, otherwise no.

2. Do you, personally, bother with the different weapons sizes for small and medium races? I mean, with like a ranseur or something, you need to, but say you have a goblin with a "shortbow" that is actually a longbow for him? Would you rule that he's actually using a small-sized longbow that a human would get a penalty with? Or do you just say it's a shortbow?
This has never come up in one of my games. I'd probably apply my "don't abuse it and you can do what you want" rule.

base speed 20ft.
-2 con, +2 cha
darkvision 60ft.
poison use
+1 nat armor
+2 search
Kobolds? Whatever they are, they'd probably favor ranged weapons over melee with that constitution penalty. Weapons that take well to whatever poisons are cheapest in their native environment or that are well adapted to take down the sort of thing likely to get through their traps, I suppose. Their tactics will mostly be hitting and running with poison and letting traps take care of invaders, these things are not well adapted to open warfare or aggressive action, they'll try to fight exclusively from entrenched positions.