PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Monk Question [answered]

Alienist
2013-03-02, 10:01 AM
So I just read this:

You threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack, even when it is not your action. Generally, that means everything in all squares adjacent to your space (including diagonally). An enemy that takes certain actions while in a threatened square provokes an attack of opportunity from you. If you’re unarmed, you don’t normally threaten any squares and thus can’t make attacks of opportunity.

Okay, so I went looking for the exception to the rule, and it looks like Monks don't have one. And I looked in Improved Unarmed Combat, and that just says that if someone unarmed attacks you, you can then make an AoO.

So a Monk not wielding a weapon doesn't get AoO?

CaladanMoonblad
2013-03-02, 10:13 AM
Improved Unarmed Strike [General]
Benefit
You are considered to be armed even when unarmed —that is, you do not provoke attacks or opportunity from armed opponents when you attack them while unarmed. However, you still get an attack of opportunity against any opponent who makes an unarmed attack on you.

In addition, your unarmed strikes can deal lethal or nonlethal damage, at your option.

Normal
Without this feat, you are considered unarmed when attacking with an unarmed strike, and you can deal only nonlethal damage with such an attack.

Special
A monk automatically gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat at 1st level. She need not select it.

A fighter may select Improved Unarmed Strike as one of his fighter bonus feats.

I always took the first statement at face value, and the secondary statement as an example. Unless it specifically states monks do not get AOOs... then I'd not overthink this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iF72W_7tuM <- hilarious!

HalfQuart
2013-03-02, 01:40 PM
Here's a Rules of the Game (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20070403a) article with more clear language:

The Improved Unarmed Strike Feat

As noted in Part One, the Improved Unarmed Strike feat allows you to make unarmed attacks as though you are armed. That is, you don't provoke an attack of opportunity when making an unarmed attack and you threaten the area around you.

Alienist
2013-03-02, 06:33 PM
Here's a Rules of the Game (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20070403a) article with more clear language:

That's exactly what I'm looking for, except I'm looking for it in the RAW.

(Which is not to disparage your research skills, which are excellent)

Greenish
2013-03-02, 07:31 PM
That's exactly what I'm looking for, except I'm looking for it in the RAW.RC page 16 discusses armed unarmed attacks, and states unambiguously that a creature with IUS is armed and can make AoO.

Darrin
2013-03-02, 08:29 PM
That's exactly what I'm looking for, except I'm looking for it in the RAW.

This is the RAW, from the SRD or PHB p. 139:

Unarmed Attacks: Striking for damage with punches, kicks, and head butts is much like attacking with a melee weapon, except for the following:

Attacks of Opportunity: Attacking unarmed provokes an attack of opportunity from the character you attack, provided she is armed. The attack of opportunity comes before your attack. An unarmed attack does not provoke attacks of opportunity from other foes nor does it provoke an attack of opportunity from an unarmed foe.

An unarmed character can’t take attacks of opportunity (but see “Armed” Unarmed Attacks, below).

“Armed” Unarmed Attacks: Sometimes a character’s or creature’s unarmed attack counts as an armed attack. A monk, a character with the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, a spellcaster delivering a touch attack spell, and a creature with natural physical weapons all count as being armed. Note that being armed counts for both offense and defense (the character can make attacks of opportunity)

Emphasis added.

Alienist
2013-03-02, 10:15 PM
This is the RAW, from the SRD or PHB p. 139:
Emphasis added.

Thanks! That was what I was looking for.

*crisis averted* phew