PDA

View Full Version : Best polymorph forms for wand-aficer?

Seiko
2013-03-02, 01:04 PM
I'm at a general loss as to getting the most bang for my buck.

The character itself is just a human artificer, and I'd rather avoid LA or monster HD, so most templates are right out.

now, basically it'll be flat out artificer til llv9, then with the option of switching to Cannith Wand Adept.

pre lv11, I will only be able to use wands, 11+ I'm only limited by the number of hands.

Now I know already that spell weaver has 6 arms, and 10hd (MMII)
any better options?
9str, 16dex, 9con. bleh.

Semi-on topic mention.
Each hand will be equipped with a dwarven buckler axe. why?
Bucklers+wand chamber.

So, opinions on awesome forms to shift into?

Urpriest
2013-03-02, 03:22 PM
More hands won't allow you to use more wands.

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-02, 03:30 PM
You want hands, dex, con, movement modes, bonus feats and abilities... none of which make you inherently better at wands, just a bit better in general.

Seiko
2013-03-03, 09:59 AM
More hands won't allow you to use more wands.

Well looking at the prc index, at second level cannith wand adept "As a full Round Action, you may use a Wand in each hand, but each consumes 1d4 charges."

So unless that translates to still only using two wands.

regardless, even with just dual wand wielding, having 6 arms means I have 12 wands ready at any given time.

So this gives me a large amount of options in regard to lower level goodies.
That still gives me the option to cast from 3 wands in a round, granted that atleast one of then is a swift action spell.

This keeps my options very open.
Never doubt the usefullness of a lv3 spells.
I once shut down the BBEG round one when it failed the fort save on ice lance, and was stunned for 4 rounds. And this was lv20+ gestalt game play.

Urpriest
2013-03-03, 12:35 PM
Well looking at the prc index, at second level cannith wand adept "As a full Round Action, you may use a Wand in each hand, but each consumes 1d4 charges."

So unless that translates to still only using two wands.

regardless, even with just dual wand wielding, having 6 arms means I have 12 wands ready at any given time.

So this gives me a large amount of options in regard to lower level goodies.
That still gives me the option to cast from 3 wands in a round, granted that atleast one of then is a swift action spell.

This keeps my options very open.
Never doubt the usefullness of a lv3 spells.
I once shut down the BBEG round one when it failed the fort save on ice lance, and was stunned for 4 rounds. And this was lv20+ gestalt game play.

...the PrC index is irrelevant. It's just a summary, the actual text only gives you two wand attacks.

I suppose having a variety of wands ready is useful...though there are lots of item-based ways to do that. And besides, as a Cannith Wand Adept you have Quick-Draw for wands anyway.

Seiko
2013-03-03, 01:23 PM
I see. the the dual wand weilding feat could very well replace the prc.
All I'd really gain is a small bonus to caster level and save dc.

As for quick drawing wands, if I'm dual wielding wands and need a different spell, I need to free action drop a wand, then free action draw a wand.

This will lead to wands being picked up by moonrats.

With things I've done in the past regarding quick draw and a few dozen spell storing weapons, my dm has an army of item stealing rats waiting behind every corner.

And there's still the question of wand strike. As silly as the feat is.
But I'm pretty sure the standard action feat can't be argued into becoming a full round wand attack. correct me if I'm wrong.

My question still stands!
How many arms can I manage?
My delving into the MM hasn't found me any better options then Spell Weaver.
And it's stats will do some damage to my str and con. amply application of bite of the were rat fixes dex.

7+ armed monsters?

RedDragons
2013-03-03, 01:38 PM
Forgotten realms grand staffs of wands thingy.

Like three wands on one staff sort of thing. If you are going to get that focused on wand use, you should have one of those when you need to blow something up on the first shot.

Seiko
2013-03-03, 01:43 PM
Forgotten realms grand staffs of wands thingy.

Like three wands on one staff sort of thing. If you are going to get that focused on wand use, you should have one of those when you need to blow something up on the first shot.

a rod of wands I think.

Full round action to cast from all 3 wands.
But pulls 3 charged from each.
This is already in my mid/late game plans.

I am aware of all the meta magic straps/grips for wands aswell.

My question is, how many arms may I have?

You see, each hand is basically two wands that are out and ready to deal with what ever problems I might be forced to face.

I even have ready a spell storing double x-bow with spell storing bolts.
So I can drop 9d8+15 healing on an ally at the cost of 2d6 damage X3
I have things ready without trying to batman.
My question stands.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-03, 01:47 PM
Take the feat Assume Supernatural Ability from Savage Species and pick Eye Rays, then Polymorph into a Beholder. All of their eye rays are a single supernatural ability, which you would gain and be able to use freely while polymorphed. A beholder can hold a wand with an eye stalk, so that form wouldn't even hinder your ability to use wands.

RedDragons
2013-03-03, 01:48 PM
Well unless some specific feat, I think you can only activate one magic item during a turn , so if you have a feat, you can activate two wands and that is it?

Seiko
2013-03-03, 01:51 PM
Well unless some specific feat, I think you can only activate one magic item during a turn , so if you have a feat, you can activate two wands and that is it?

dual wand weilding.
requires craft wand and twf.
lets you, as a full round action cast fro two wands.
the second wand uses 2 charges.

As for the beholder idea, it's great BUT.
I don't qualify for assume supernatural ability.
As I can neither cast polymorph or use any shape shifting abilities as a class feature. This is an artificer, I shall be casting polymorph from a scroll.

I ask for arms, because each arm needs to be able to both equip a buckler, and hold a wand.
Yes, I know I only get +1ac from one buckler, even if I hold 20.

Also, if I was going to assume natural ability I would sorc/wiz into force missile mage. And then I'd still go spell weaver for it's ability to drop 6 magic missiles plus a spell.
So, my turn one against the BBEG will be dispell magic(in case of shield)->magic missile x6
or warmage(i think, adds int to spell damage?) into force missile mage for better magic misses.

Kazyan
2013-03-03, 02:20 PM
The Multitasking feat, from Savage Species, lets you wand it up with multiple arms. I think they need to have the same verbal component, though, and the prereqs are ridiculous. As found by a friend, it's best on a Sharn for 27 spells in one turn.

Vaz
2013-03-03, 02:32 PM
Take the feat Assume Supernatural Ability from Savage Species and pick Eye Rays, then Polymorph into a Beholder. All of their eye rays are a single supernatural ability, which you would gain and be able to use freely while polymorphed. A beholder can hold a wand with an eye stalk, so that form wouldn't even hinder your ability to use wands.

Problem is you must define which monster and which ability you wish to assume. An Ardent 2/Cerebremancer 3 with Metamorphic Transfer is a slight hitch (and magic mantle can give you +6 caster levels from Cerebremancer 3 if you take RAW at its most stupid/beneficial), for 3/day gain Supernatural. For none class UMD'ing scrolls, have fun with Visilight.

Seiko
2013-03-03, 02:40 PM
Well.
Let us keep in mind, this is not a "What can I do with polymorph" post.

This is a "Help me find something with 6+ arms and not trash stats for my polymorphing wand caster"

I already know a hundred things I can do with polymorph, not limited to playing a rouge, turning into a hydra, cast invis, cast wraith strike.
rinse repeat.

What I am looking for, is a monster form with usable arms that I could easily run around as. As I plan on abusing wands mostly.

Vaz
2013-03-03, 03:27 PM
It isn't a 'break polymorph' thread, it is a 'enhance UMD' thread. Wands of Divine Power, say. Scrolls of Body Outside Body/Giant Size.