PDA

View Full Version : Help with specifics - Laurel Of Glory

Felandria
2013-03-02, 02:30 PM
So the new campaign I'm running, I'm developing a new magic item.

Backstory: It's twenty years after the campaign our group just finished, so I established the characters from that one as prime NPC's in this one.

The party has been recruited by Felandria, now living in Olympus, she wants them to take over as the guardians of the gates, the task our party was assigned in the last campaign.

Basically until the gates are threatened she will send them on a series of smaller quests, ensuring a sense of variety in between the big plot quests.

When they first meet, there is a large group of people organizing some kind of event, Felandria reveals that she is organizing an big sporting competition to take place in Olympus (:smallbiggrin:)

One of the quests will involve recovering some items required for the Olympiad, specifically the awards for the winners.

Instead of medals, they will receive special laurels, I want them to be magic items and once they are recovered, Felandria will gift some to the party.

My first thought was the bonus they should give should be related to glory, like +1 to all physical stats and a small increase in size, not category changing or anything, just like six inches or something.

But I would love to hear other ideas for what they could give.

Jormengand
2013-03-02, 02:55 PM
My brother ran a campaign with some plot-important "keys" which also acted as magic items. Odin's hammer allowed the weilder to cast shocking grasp despite his oracle class levels - maybe, therefore allow an extra spell to be cast? Maybe some kind of leafstorm spell, or a god-relevant one (shocking grasp if Zeus gave it, maybe? Depends on character level). Odin's spear gave some kind of fighting bonus when worn (it was a mini-spear strung on an amulet), so that's a consideration).

The party only got Tyr's sword and Rattatosk's acorn at the very end, though the latter gave them some pretty nifty acorns which worked in a similar fashion to a necklace of fireballs - not sure how this could be integrated.

Stealing other minor magic items is a possibility... maybe something akin to an aasimar's halo... I dunno, I'm just throwing ideas at you.

Frathe
2013-03-02, 05:40 PM
My first thought was the bonus they should give should be related to glory, like +1 to all physical stats and a small increase in size, not category changing or anything, just like six inches or something.

But I would love to hear other ideas for what they could give.You could give them something like a half-giant's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/halfGiant.htm) Powerful Build to represent an increase in size. Maybe a sacred bonus to attack rolls and physical skill checks.

Felandria
2013-03-03, 12:31 AM
Shocking Grasp is a possibility, but the party is caster light.

I'm really having fun with the Olympians thing and I want to come up with an appropriate prize.

Felandria
2013-03-03, 02:02 PM
Anyone else?

Please?

Poppatomus
2013-03-03, 02:26 PM
If they are physical challenges, maybe they should give some related feat, pre-requisites be damned, to the wearer. Although that might be much more work as each would need to be unique and suited to the game.

Or you could make the items themselves "magic" so, say each laurel has X leaves, which, if torn off act like a particular spell (you could eat them to gain giants strength for an hour, say, or throw them and have it act like a summoning spell that summons a god appropriate animal for 10 rounds). Additionally, you could have an unplucked or only partly plucked laurel provide some standing bonus, that they are sacrificing when they pull a leaf. Maybe something like constant bonus to natural armor equal to Cha for an unplucked laurel, and 1/2 Cha (min 1) for a half plucked one.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for in terms of ideas.

Frathe
2013-03-03, 02:59 PM
Anyone else?

Please?Well, I already gave my (non-caster-related) input, with no response. Don't know what you want here.

Felandria
2013-03-04, 01:18 PM
Okay, I think I've got it.

Laurel of Glory

Slot: Headband

The laurel, when worn, imbues the wearer with a vague aura of prestige, as it is usually only possessed by champions of a series of sporting competitions known as the Olympiad.

The wearers are usually treated with a small measure of respect wherever they go, as word of their triumph spreads throughout the land.

The laurel grants the wearer the following:

+1 to all Str, Dex and Cha based skill checks
+1 to all saving throws
+1 to attack and damage rolls

In addition, wearers are treated as though they possess the Powerful Build trait.

Frathe
2013-03-04, 02:11 PM
Okay, I think I've got it.

Laurel of Glory

Slot: Headband

The laurel, when worn, imbues the wearer with a vague aura of prestige, as it is usually only possessed by champions of a series of sporting competitions known as the Olympiad.

The wearers are usually treated with a small measure of respect wherever they go, as word of their triumph spreads throughout the land.

The laurel grants the wearer the following:

+1 to all saving throws

In addition, wearers are treated as though they possess the Powerful Build trait.All those +1s are pretty nice for a single magic item... but I know you want these to be like artifacts. Seems fine unless you want to add some other magical effect (and, depending on the level of play this is at (if it's high), you might want to increase some of those bonuses to more than +1, but maybe not).

Felandria
2013-03-05, 12:40 AM
All those +1s are pretty nice for a single magic item... but I know you want these to be like artifacts. Seems fine unless you want to add some other magical effect (and, depending on the level of play this is at (if it's high), you might want to increase some of those bonuses to more than +1, but maybe not).

Not neccesarily artifacts, I will be giving a few out to the party when they successfully recover them, they'll be between level 6 and level 9.

DracoDei
2013-03-05, 03:19 AM
There is actually one effect that would be absolutely perfect to have on a prize for athletic excellence, and yet wouldn't overpower them at all.

If worn continuously for a month*, then the wearer gains the "Timeless Body" trait of a monk/druid. For each additional month they are worn, the wearer reduces their age by one year (INSTEAD OF increasing it by one month) for purposes of calculating there physical ability penalty, to a minimum of the minimum starting age for a "simple" class for their race.

*It can be removed for a few moments without breaking this, such as for taking off, putting on a helmet, and then putting the laurels on top of the helmet.

Have them magically stay attached to the wearers head until removed. They can be grabbed off by a foe easily enough, but they aren't going go come off in the wearer's sleep.

Remaining strong and hail until the end would be a big draw for an athlete.

Mechancially this is a really small effect, except in very long campaigns, and even then it helps the classes that need it the most (fighters etc). You can basically throw this on top of any other effects the item has and not worry about it.

Felandria
2013-03-05, 01:42 PM
There is actually one effect that would be absolutely perfect to have on a prize for athletic excellence, and yet wouldn't overpower them at all.

If worn continuously for a month*, then the wearer gains the "Timeless Body" trait of a monk/druid. For each additional month they are worn, the wearer reduces their age by one year (INSTEAD OF increasing it by one month) for purposes of calculating there physical ability penalty, to a minimum of the minimum starting age for a "simple" class for their race.

*It can be removed for a few moments without breaking this, such as for taking off, putting on a helmet, and then putting the laurels on top of the helmet.

Have them magically stay attached to the wearers head until removed. They can be grabbed off by a foe easily enough, but they aren't going go come off in the wearer's sleep.

Remaining strong and hail until the end would be a big draw for an athlete.

Mechancially this is a really small effect, except in very long campaigns, and even then it helps the classes that need it the most (fighters etc). You can basically throw this on top of any other effects the item has and not worry about it.

I love it.

Debihuman
2013-03-05, 06:04 PM
You cannot wear a headband and a helmet at the same time in 3.5 since they both take up the head slot.

What level are the PCs and should these be minor artifacts or regular magical items.

Debby

DracoDei
2013-03-05, 07:48 PM
You cannot wear a headband and a helmet at the same time in 3.5 since they both take up the head slot.
Technically incorrect I THINK (and if it isn't it should be). They just can't both be magical items... or at least not ones that take up the head slot.

Call it a fluff thing so you can be wearing the helmet of your full-plate, or your jaunty hat.

Debihuman
2013-03-06, 01:54 AM
Technically incorrect I THINK (and if it isn't it should be). They just can't both be magical items... or at least not ones that take up the head slot.

We were discussing magical items. So a magical laurel wreath that you wear on your head cannot be worn with a magical helmet. If the helmet is non-magical, knock your socks off.

Call it a fluff thing so you can be wearing the helmet of your full-plate, or your jaunty hat.

Well,yes. I suppose you could even wear both if they aren't magical, though it would make your PC look silly. :smallsmile:

Pricing up the Laurel of Glory

Costs for said laurel of glory [These are the costs to make, cost to buy is double]

Skill bonus (competence) costs bonus squared × 100 gp. so for ever skill that gets a +1 bonus the item costs 100 gp.

+1 to all Dex based skills: Balance, Escape Artist, Hide, Move Silently, Open Lock, Ride, Sleight of Hand, Tumble, Use Rope [900 gp]

+1 to all Str based skills: Climb, Jump, Swim [300 gp]

+1 to all Cha based skills: Bluff, Disguise, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Perform (Act), Perform (Comedy), Perform (Dance), Perform (Keyboard instruments), Perform (Oratory), Perform (Percussion instruments), Perform (String Instruments), Perform (String instruments), Perform (Wind instruments), Perform (Sing), Use Magic Device [1,600 gp]

Save bonus (resistance) costs Bonus squared × 1,000 gp x1.5 for wrong slot
+1 to all saves (Fort, Reflex Will) [1,500 gp]

Grants Powerful Build -- just like Strongarm Bracers from MIC, page 138 (based on enlarge person spell) requires you to be 3rd level [6,000 gp]
Use-activated or continuous--Spell level × caster level × 2,000 gp x1.5 for wrong slot [1 x 3 x 2000 x 1.5= 9,000 gp]

Total 900 + 300 + 1,600 + 1,500 + 9,000 = 13,300 gp.

Is this item worth that much gp?

Debby

DracoDei
2013-03-06, 04:12 PM
You did the save bonuses wrong I think. It defaults to being for all saves, thus a Cloak of Resistance +1 is 1,000 gp. Of course, with it being in a different slot that might cause an increase, but I doubt it is exactly a x3 increase.

As for the overall cost, I think that one has to consider that the type of characters who benefit the most from Powerful Build are not the sort who benefit the most from a bunch of skill bonuses. So maybe a bit lower ad hoc, but maybe not.

Debihuman
2013-03-07, 02:54 AM
It's 1,500 gp not 3,000 gp for the resistances. x1.5 for the wrong slot. And Powerful Build is in wrong slot too, bringing the cost up further. Total has been revised.

Debby.

Felandria
2013-03-08, 05:40 PM
It's 1,500 gp not 3,000 gp for the resistances. x1.5 for the wrong slot. And Powerful Build is in wrong slot too, bringing the cost up further. Total has been revised.

Debby.

I'm not too worried about the cost.

I'm a fairly lenient DM.

DracoDei
2013-03-08, 07:26 PM
I'm not too worried about the cost.

I'm a fairly lenient DM.
Fair enough.

You might want to deccide what they can get for them IF you let them sell them though. Personally I wouldn't let them sell them. They power up the classes that most need a power boost, and fluff-wise it might be seen as insulting to their patron.

Felandria
2013-03-08, 09:44 PM
Oh, they won't be selling them, that's for sure.

Debihuman
2013-03-09, 07:50 AM
How's this:

Laurel of Glory
Aura faint transmutation; CL 3rd
Slot head; Price 13,300 gp; Weight 1 lb.

Made from interlocking branches and leaves of bay laurel dipped in gold, this horseshoe-shaped wreath sits elegantly upon its wearer’s head,

When worn for at least 24 hours, the laurel imbues its wearer with a vague aura of prestige, as it is usually only possessed by champions of a series of sporting competitions known as the Olympiad. Such champions are treated with a small measure of respect wherever they go, as word of their triumph spreads throughout the land. Sporting a laurel that one has not earned is a crime punishable by fine and imprisonment.

When worn, the wearer gains the following benefits:

+1 to all saving throws
Powerful Build

Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, enlarge; Cost 6,500 gp 532 XP

Debby

Felandria
2013-03-09, 02:23 PM
How's this:

Laurel of Glory
Aura faint transmutation; CL 3rd
Slot head; Price 13,300 gp; Weight 1 lb.

Made from interlocking branches and leaves of bay laurel dipped in gold, this horseshoe-shaped wreath sits elegantly upon its wearer’s head,

When worn for at least 24 hours, the laurel imbues its wearer with a vague aura of prestige, as it is usually only possessed by champions of a series of sporting competitions known as the Olympiad. Such champions are treated with a small measure of respect wherever they go, as word of their triumph spreads throughout the land. Sporting a laurel that one has not earned is a crime punishable by fine and imprisonment.

When worn, the wearer gains the following benefits:

+1 to all saving throws
Powerful Build

Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, enlarge; Cost 6,500 gp 532 XP

Debby

I like seeing it all official like that.

But what would be the additional cost to add the Timeless Body to it?

DracoDei
2013-03-09, 10:17 PM
But what would be the additional cost to add the Timeless Body to it?
Don't know of any rules of thumb for that particular sort of ability, so have some rambling pondering instead.

Well, it is equivalent to three different +6 stat items (and incidentally ones that stack)... to someone who is venerable, which is a pretty small portion of the populous.

A vain noble worried about his/her looks would also be interested in it.

All of this is counterbalanced by the fact that it isn't very useful to a PC. If you could get it at character creation, you could get an effective +3 to all your mental ability scores for the cost of the slot. This is mostly useful to casters (which the other effects of the item don't help as much), although martial initiators could probably use both. Come to that, a rogue might be able to make good use of all of the effects. Int for more skill points and disable device, wisdom for will saves and spot/listen, and charisma for UMD/Diplomacy/Bluff. Powerful Build isn't bad TWF either.

Note that, technically, as long as you don't mind having a very small circle of people (27 others if my math is right)that you ever interact with in person and have a secure area to activate a magic item in, getting nigh-immortality via a Rod of Security (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#security) costs about 2,108 GP (again, assuming my math is right), and adding more people is as simple as adding more rods I think (although technically you age a bit more, but it is still a few minutes every few days).

Now the two are a bit "apples and oranges", but they are in the same broad conceptual category.

At the end of the day, it is a question that would probably be best answered by the individual GM.

Debihuman
2013-03-10, 07:01 AM
First, I don't recommend adding Timeless Body since that is a special ability. Magic items and spells shouldn't dupplicate Special Abilities because it dilutes what makes Special Abilities special. Take levels in the appropriate class to gain class features.

In 3.x there are fewer things that age you than there were in 2nd ed. so it isn't as useful and it doesn't stop you from dyig of old age. You just avoid the aging penalies.

Second, it's hugely expensive to add.

You could base it on the Wellspring of Youth spell from Atlas Games (see here: http://www.atlas-games.com/pdf_storage/pen_time_domain.pdf)

The laurel should only cast this spell once. The spell comes with a 100 gp material requirement (100 gp for the diamond dust).

You have to be at least Caster Level 13 to cast this spell as it is a 7th level spell for a Cleric with the Time Domain and it changes the Aura to Strong Conjuration [Healing] (Time) but the cleric can't cast the druid spells so it actually takes a cleric with the time domain and a druid to make this item.

Since wellspring of youth is a instantaneous spell, the laurel of glory should only be able to cast it once. It it takes effect as soon as it is placed on the recipient's head (assuming it is won in one of the games).

13 x 7 x 50 x 50 (because there is 100 gp worth of diamond dust). Total to add to price is 297,500 gp (148,7500 gp to cost to create). That's how much it costs to add Timeless Body.

Debby