PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

Immabozo
2013-03-02, 02:31 PM
My character is a half ogre barbarian 5/war hulk 1. I am looking for a one level dip with full BAB progression that would be good, cause levl 6 of barbarian is entirely underwhelming if I dont anticipate going any farther in the class.

DM might let me retrain a few levels of barbie too.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-02, 02:39 PM
Should have gone Fighter 6 instead of Barbarian for Dungeoncrasher with Knock-Back. Just two levels of Fighter for the first installment of Dungeoncrasher would definitely be worth it.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-02, 02:47 PM
Should have gone Fighter 6 instead of Barbarian for Dungeoncrasher with Knock-Back. Just two levels of Fighter for the first installment of Dungeoncrasher would definitely be worth it.

I've always found six levels of fighter hard to swallow, dungeoncrasher or not. Yeah the full 6 gives str x 3 instead of only x 2, but 4 levels of poor skills points, 1 bonus feat, and no other class features is....painful.

My advice is keep 4 levels of barb and take 2 levels of fighter. This gives a bonus feat and the lessor dungeoncrash use - 3d8 + str x2, if memory serves. You can still use the same knockback tactics, and your damage is still going to be off the charts.

I don't know what barb ACF you're using, if any, but if the DM allows a near-full retraining, spirit lion whirling frenzy barb 2 dungeoncrasher fighter 2 warblade 2 would be the best.

Immabozo
2013-03-02, 03:00 PM
I've always found six levels of fighter hard to swallow, dungeoncrasher or not. Yeah the full 6 gives str x 3 instead of only x 2, but 4 levels of poor skills points, 1 bonus feat, and no other class features is....painful.

My advice is keep 4 levels of barb and take 2 levels of fighter. This gives a bonus feat and the lessor dungeoncrash use - 3d8 + str x2, if memory serves. You can still use the same knockback tactics, and your damage is still going to be off the charts.

I don't know what barb ACF you're using, if any, but if the DM allows a near-full retraining, spirit lion whirling frenzy barb 2 dungeoncrasher fighter 2 warblade 2 would be the best.

I agree on the 6 levels of fighter. I am unfamiliar with dungeoncrasher. Where can I find that? Also, I am using whirling barbie but other than that, just a vanilla barbie.

Karnith
2013-03-02, 04:02 PM
I agree on the 6 levels of fighter. I am unfamiliar with dungeoncrasher. Where can I find that? Also, I am using whirling barbie but other than that, just a vanilla barbie.
The dungeoncrasher fighter can be found, appropriately enough, in Dungeonscape, under the alternate class features section. It replaces your second- and sixth-level bonus feats to give you extra damage (4d6 plus twice your Strength bonus at 2nd level, and 8d6 plus three times your Strength bonus at 6th level) if you bullrush an enemy into a solid object. It also gives you bonuses when breaking objects and against traps, but the main draw is the extra damage. It's extra fun with the Knockback (from Races of Stone) and Shock Trooper (from Complete Warrior) feats.

EDIT: Actually, since you're looking at a half-ogre War Hulk anyway, you may be interested in reading about the Bulldozer (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1532.0).

Immabozo
2013-03-02, 04:56 PM
The dungeoncrasher fighter can be found, appropriately enough, in Dungeonscape, under the alternate class features section. It replaces your second- and sixth-level bonus feats to give you extra damage (4d6 plus twice your Strength bonus at 2nd level, and 8d6 plus three times your Strength bonus at 6th level) if you bullrush an enemy into a solid object. It also gives you bonuses when breaking objects and against traps, but the main draw is the extra damage. It's extra fun with the Knockback (from Races of Stone) and Shock Trooper (from Complete Warrior) feats.

EDIT: Actually, since you're looking at a half-ogre War Hulk anyway, you may be interested in reading about the Bulldozer (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1532.0).

how, dungeon crasher/shock trooper is a FANTASTIC addition! I'll look into bulldozer more. I love the build. Thank you

Immabozo
2013-03-02, 05:08 PM
I'm not following one thing thought, how is that build getting the DC each hit or be dazed? I figured it out, walked away and came back and apparently my train of thought left the station without me

Karnith
2013-03-02, 09:35 PM
I'm not following one thing thought, how is that build getting the DC each hit or be dazed? I figured it out, walked away and came back and apparently my train of thought left the station without me
The save DC comes from Shield Slam, a feat in Complete Warrior. The feat lists the save DC against dazing as 10 +1/2 of your character level + your Strength bonus. So at 20th level the DC is 20 + Strength modifier. 10 levels in War Hulk grants you a +20 bonus to Strength, which is another +10 to the DC (30 total). I'm not sure which version of the half-ogre you're using, but if it's the Savage Species race, then you can start with a Strength of 24 (18 base + 6 racial), with +5 from leveling up (Strength 29), and a +5 inherent bonus from tomes or wishes (Strength 34, or a +12 bonus before all of the War Hulk silliness). This gives you (at 20th level) a save DC of 42 without really even trying, which enemies must make when you shield slam them.

Also, you mentioned that the only Barbarian ACF that you're using is whirling frenzy. If you're going for a bulldozer build, you should seriously consider both Wolf Totem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ) and Spirit Lion Totem (from Complete Champion). While the former just eases the feat-intensive nature of the build, Spirit Lion Totem gives you pounce, which is more or less essential for melee combat at higher levels. (Also note that despite the names, each ACF trades away different features so you can combine the two on one character.)

Immabozo
2013-03-03, 03:49 AM
I think I have another build in mind, but similar, but not insanely broken. But that totem barb stuff is what I was looking for!