PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Incantrix help

JinElusion
2013-03-02, 06:43 PM
I've been looking for the answer to this specific question all over, and I just can't find it. So here it is:

As far as the "Focused Studies" Class feature of the Incantrix is concerned, how does it interact with a Sorcerer? Does the Sorcerer gain a new abjuration spell known per level or is the Sorcerer able to cast an extra abjuration spell that he may know, per level? Or does the Sorcerer not get any benefits from this feature, but still has to prohibit one school?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-02, 06:56 PM
I've been looking for the answer to this specific question all over, and I just can't find it. So here it is:

As far as the "Focused Studies" Class feature of the Incantrix is concerned, how does it interact with a Sorcerer? Does the Sorcerer gain a new abjuration spell known per level or is the Sorcerer able to cast an extra abjuration spell that he may know, per level? Or does the Sorcerer not get any benefits from this feature, but still has to prohibit one school?

No character ever gains anything from the Focused Studies class feature, other than being able to take the Incantatrix prestige class. It's nothing but a drawback.

Focused Studies (Ex): At 1st level, the incantatrix gives up a school of magic so as to focus more on the remaining schools. She must choose a school of magic other than abjuration or divination as a prohibited school. This prohibited school is in addition to any others already chosen due to school specialization. Thus, a specialized wizard taking this prestige class has three prohibited schools instead of two.
It only gives you one additional prohibited school, even if you were already a specialized wizard. If you're not specialized in any school of magic, it does not give you the benefits of that, it only imposes a prohibited school on you.

phlidwsn
2013-03-02, 07:00 PM
It does exactly what it lists, pick one school to ban in addition to any already banned. You get nothing back. Note that you're not gaining a new specialization in a school, just a prohibited school.

JinElusion
2013-03-02, 07:02 PM
And of course I was mixing the old definition into my understanding of the new one. Sigh. Well...that's kinda lame. But okay, thanks for the help

phlidwsn
2013-03-02, 10:48 PM
Think of it as another cost / requirement for entering the PRC and I find it goes down a bit smoother. Its the price you pay for all the fun metamagic games to come.

Arkturas
2013-03-02, 10:51 PM
Wish they had left in the bit about retaining all the spells of that school.