PDA

View Full Version : YAY! Potentially Broken Computer!

Dr.Epic
2013-03-02, 07:15 PM
So, my laptop of almost 4 year may be at the end of its life. The problem is I can't easily close it. Like, the screen just doesn't easily close/open. And when I try to close/open it, part of the casing splits and I can see exposed wires. I mean, I'm using it now to make this post, so it's not completely busted...yet. I'm just wondering if it can be fixed and for how much. Please tell me I can get it repaired for under $100. I mean, I think so long as I just keep the screen open and use it like a desktop it should be fine. But it is a laptop and I need to transport it to school classes so I'd like this fixed.

So, how do I fix this?

(I can send pictures of the damage if that will help you assess the damage.)

Thanks.

celtois
2013-03-02, 07:30 PM
From your description the damage sounds superficial and personally I'd just duct tape the casing together, and tinker with the hinge to get it to open/close easier. But I may be failing to understand the damage you are trying to describe.

Weezer
2013-03-02, 07:31 PM
Probably need a few pictures to get a decent look at the damage.

Dr.Epic
2013-03-02, 07:39 PM
From your description the damage sounds superficial and personally I'd just duct tape the casing together, and tinker with the hinge to get it to open/close easier. But I may be failing to understand the damage you are trying to describe.

That's what I thought: it was just cosmetic. But the screen is starting to split, and I can see wires. I'm worried it won't just be an appearance problem for long, and soon it will be a performance problem.

celtois
2013-03-02, 07:42 PM
As Weezer said I think we'd need pictures to tell you much of anything.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the screen is starting to split.
My assumption is the back part of the casing is separating from the front part, with the screen. If that is the case. I think duct tape to hold the two parts of casing together would probably be fine.

If you mean something else than I am unsure.

Dr.Epic
2013-03-02, 07:51 PM
I'll have pics up tomorrow. Tonight I'm a little busy.

nedz
2013-03-02, 08:24 PM
Gaffer tape — just try not to cover over any ventilation holes.

Dr.Epic
2013-03-02, 08:26 PM
Gaffer tape — just try not to cover over any ventilation holes.

I keep hearing people recommend tape. I'm not sure that's strong enough.

Grinner
2013-03-02, 08:39 PM
I keep hearing people recommend tape. I'm not sure that's strong enough.

If you're that worried, you could try adding superglue to the crevice and then taping it shut.

Dr.Epic
2013-03-02, 10:01 PM
If you're that worried, you could try adding superglue to the crevice and then taping it shut.

I'm also hesitant about putting any sort of fluid in my computer (even if it is superglue).

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-02, 10:17 PM
Superglue is also exothermic, so be REALLY careful around heat sensative parts.

leafman
2013-03-02, 10:31 PM
If you're applying the glue to the plastic case, heat shouldn't be a problem. I don't think superglue is conductive, though I've never tried to pass a current through it.

Don Julio Anejo
2013-03-03, 12:48 AM
Glue is almost always made from polymers so it can't be conductive by definition. It has no metal/semiconductor/electrolyte properties that let electricity (which is a stream of electrons) pass through it.

Jack Squat
2013-03-03, 07:08 AM
Sounds like the hinge broke - I had it happen on my last laptop.

This is how I ended up fixing it:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/189011_10150113290041035_668287_n.jpg

Note: The clamp's there to hold it while the JB weld dried

OracleofWuffing
2013-03-03, 07:55 AM
Wouldn't hurt to know the model of the laptop, too, so we could dig up service manuals and the like. The actual casing components typically aren't sold separately, so replacing the parts that are breaking likely will require finding some used parts off of eBay or similar sites.

Depending on the situation, $100 may be a reasonable budget for a do-it-yourself job if you're confident enough to do it all on your hands if anything goes wrong. However, taking it to any repair shop would probably cost you at least twice as much as that at.

If it's just limited to the top half- the part of your computer that houses the screen- there typically aren't that many wires in that section, and they're usually shielded. That'd be the monitor data and power cable, sometimes the WiFi antenna, and then a microphone and digital camera. Of course, we'd have to see more to make any definitive statements.

shawnhcorey
2013-03-03, 09:28 AM
Be careful when repairing hinges. The video cable runs through one of them and if you bust that, you could be in for a costly repair.

Jack Squat
2013-03-03, 04:39 PM
Be careful when repairing hinges. The video cable runs through one of them and if you bust that, you could be in for a costly repair.

It depends on the laptop. The dell inspiron that I posted of picture of had the cable run down the middle and the hinges were on the side.

inuyasha
2013-03-03, 08:27 PM
the most beutiful thing i can offer is gorrila tape, its great, and strong, its elegent, (and its black :D)

shawnhcorey
2013-03-03, 08:43 PM
the most beutiful thing i can offer is gorrila tape, its great, and strong, its elegent, (and its black :D)

You forgot its cool name. :smallwink:

inuyasha
2013-03-03, 09:46 PM
that is its cool name :smallmad: gorilla tape

OracleofWuffing
2013-03-04, 09:07 PM
You promised us hawt pictures of exposed nasty wires! How dare you leave us hanging! :smallfurious:

:tongue::wink:

nedz
2013-03-05, 06:00 AM
You promised us hawt pictures of exposed nasty wires! How dare you leave us hanging! :smallfurious:

:tongue::wink:

It's obviously a case of a Potentially Broken Camera.:smalltongue:

More Gaffer tape I say.

GnomeFighter
2013-03-06, 05:42 AM
I had something simelar happen with my wifes netbook. The case had moved and was out of line on the hinge. All it needed in that case was the plastic pushing back in to place and a screw tightening.

Weezer
2013-03-06, 10:20 PM
Glue is almost always made from polymers so it can't be conductive by definition. It has no metal/semiconductor/electrolyte properties that let electricity (which is a stream of electrons) pass through it.

Though there is conductive glue out there. It's bloody awesome.

Dr.Epic
2013-03-07, 03:53 AM
Though there is conductive glue out there. It's bloody awesome.

Why would I want glue made from blood?:smallconfused: That sounds gross!:smalleek: