PDA

View Full Version : Is it really that strong?

Devronq
2013-03-02, 08:05 PM
Someone brought up in a thread how a weapon cannot damage a magic weapon unless it has an enhancement bonus at least equal to it. Does this mean that a +1 weapon is invincible from all non magical means of destroying it? I could drop a mountain on it or throw it in lava and it wont damage it correct? and if not where is the line drawn between my +1 sword cant damage your +2sword but blah can even though its not a +2weapon or better.

Urpriest
2013-03-02, 08:09 PM
Someone brought up in a thread how a weapon cannot damage a magic weapon unless it has an enhancement bonus at least equal to it. Does this mean that a +1 weapon is invincible from all non magical means of destroying it? I could drop a mountain on it or throw it in lava and it wont damage it correct? and if not where is the line drawn between my +1 sword cant damage your +2sword but blah can even though its not a +2weapon or better.

That's a common misconception, it's not actually the case.

catsora
2013-03-02, 08:10 PM
I'm pretty sure that there are limitations as to what can and can't destroy a magic item. I think that weapons of at least huge size can still sunder a medium size magic weapon or armor normally.

pbdr
2013-03-02, 08:15 PM
magic weapons get +2 Hardness and +5 HP per enhancement bonus and a bonus to saves equal to the enhancement. That'ts it as far as I know.

They can still be sundered and damaged as normal, with extra hardness and HP...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-02, 08:27 PM
That was the case in 3.0, but only when trying to Sunder (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#sunder) a weapon. The wording for Shatterspike (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#shatterspike) still contains a bit of this at the end.

Devronq
2013-03-02, 08:37 PM
That's a common misconception, it's not actually the case.

Can you post rules that clarify this please ?

Hardness and Hit Points: An attacker cannot damage a magic
weapon that has an enhancement bonus unless his own weapon
has at least as high an enhancement bonus as the weapon or shield
struck.

This is DMG p.222

Urpriest
2013-03-02, 08:53 PM
Can you post rules that clarify this please ?

Hardness and Hit Points: An attacker cannot damage a magic
weapon that has an enhancement bonus unless his own weapon
has at least as high an enhancement bonus as the weapon or shield
struck.

This is DMG p.222

That sentence was removed in the errata, which is why it is no longer in the updated description in the SRD.

Devronq
2013-03-02, 09:25 PM
That sentence was removed in the errata, which is why it is no longer in the updated description in the SRD.

Ahh my fault for questioning Urpriest :P