PDA

View Full Version : Some Ideas for Salvation

Surfnerd
2013-03-02, 10:22 PM
In my current campaign I had an NPC's apprentice kidnapped while investigating some events in a remote monastery. While he was being held captive the evil band that had taken over the monastery locked him in a magically sealed room.

This room was the prison of a very powerful and evil magic user, disembodied. The evil magic user has begun the process of taking over the apprentice. The players rescued the apprentice and returned him to his master. He appeared sickly and unwell. The players keep in regular contact with the NPC master and the apprentice has remained sickly the whole time.

The players haven't really paid attention to the sick apprentice just assuming he was tortured etc. Which is fine they are busy with other lowly adventurer business, but eventually I want this apprentice to start to show signs of being possessed by the evil magic user.

I haven't really thought of any possibilities for saving the apprentice or just allowing the players to fight and kill the evil magic user.

I was wondering if anyone has had similar plots or if you guys have some ideas to throw out on what are some resolution scenarios for this???

Frathe
2013-03-02, 10:48 PM
I was wondering if anyone has had similar plots or if you guys have some ideas to throw out on what are some resolution scenarios for this???I haven't had any plots like this (in fact, I've never Dm'd), but if you want to make really sure that the players realize ahead of time that he's possessed (which seems probably fair, and more interesting than what would be, from their perspective, pulling it out of nowhere), you could give him glowing eyes or something similarly unsubtle/physical.

You could maybe give them access to some kind of exorcism spell, or someone who could cast one.

Surfnerd
2013-03-03, 12:03 AM
@Frathe Thats a good idea. Respect the rule of 3. I will slowly start to introduce more symptoms of his possession to clue the players in. I can make it take plenty of time to also introduce some potential cures before they realize he is possessed so that doesn't spring out of nowhere either.

The players have some growing to do and a few other tasks before them to occupy while this takes place in the background. I try and let the players pick their own course while the NPCs factions and world continue evolving.

Rhynn
2013-03-03, 01:54 AM
I haven't really thought of any possibilities for saving the apprentice or just allowing the players to fight and kill the evil magic user.

I was wondering if anyone has had similar plots or if you guys have some ideas to throw out on what are some resolution scenarios for this???

"Die, die, die!" is always a possible resolution with player characters. Be prepared for that. Maybe it's not optimal? Maybe the posessing magic user can just leave the body upon death if not trapped somehow?

I'd leave a lot of it up to the players. Once they know they're facing a possessing spirit, they should be able to come up with some ideas. But you should also have some of your own to present to them if they just do general research, asking around with mages & priests, etc.

There's magic, obviously - bound to be a lot of soul-traps, banishing spells, wards, etc. that can help. If it's D&D derived, there's even the humble protection from evil which would/could suppress the possession temporarily (but not necessarily cast the possessor out). You could require some special ritual, some particular location, or some specific magic item to draw the possessor out.

Surfnerd
2013-03-03, 11:55 AM
@Rhynn I like the suppression idea alot. Hadn't considered that. If the players take an active approach but haven't come up with a solution I can throw that at them, buy them sometime.

I present them with problems and let them make decisions. This plot hook is far out on the horizon as far as resolutions are concerned, but I want to build possible solutions into the campaign world so its more organic for them to come to conclusions.

I'm totally fine with the apprentice meeting his end in this situation, if the players just decide to kill him now and earn the ire of his master thats an outcome I can live with.

I always hope my players come up with original plans or voice their concerns or ideas on possible scenarios, helps me give them the campaign they perceive and one unique from my creativity. Unfortunately players can be very unmotivated or uninspired to come up with a creative solution at times, got to keep the ball rolling in case of inaction.

turkey901
2013-03-03, 12:42 PM
I'd actually go the more subtle approach. While not the BBEG this has the makings of a high level side quest kind of flavor to it. Maybe the apprentice starts speaking with a different accent or his hair/eye colour begin to change. Slowly at first so that his master doesn't really notice it, but after a few months if the PC's come by the apprentice now has white hair and blue eyes instead of the brown hair and brown eyes, this would be especially effective to me if most of the PC's don't even remember how you described him from the beginning.

PC "Wait a minute, this guy didn't have white hair before did he?"

GM ".........." (depending on the direct contact they have had with him I would leave the character knowledge = players knowledge)

You could even have the apprentice start speaking about things he shouldn't know about; high level magic, ancient history that even the master barely knows and he uses "We did this....." when talking about it. The point is I would leave bread crumbs to point to this for when the PC's are higher level so that it's resolution could span several sessions.

Arbane
2013-03-03, 01:41 PM
Protection from Evil shuts down possession for its duration.

Just saying.