PDA

View Full Version : Dual weilding sword class.

Xeran
2006-11-12, 04:52 PM
An old creation of mine with the Class Construction Engine by Shadowcraft. Table is once again messed up, all I can say is it looks all right on word. Oh well. What do ya think?

Blademaster

Adventure: As Blademasters are commonly human; they may adventure for many reasons. Blademasters who are elven often adventure for an advance on their skills, or art as their want to call it. Though they are just as common to advance to find fame and fortune.
Background: Blademasters are probably the least common class on the world of Omn. After the collapse of the Blue League, (the only unified school of Blademasters) they had to be apprenticed by older Blademasters. As a result there are probably only 10,000 Blademasters in Omn at this time. They see fighting as an art form, which they try to perfect by improvised training and chaotic tutelage.
Race: Humans are the most common to become Blademasters because they are ambitious and passionate; two qualities need to become a Blademaster. Elves also become Blademasters due to their being so well suited to the tasks. The elven knight Lea Galonadal was the one who founded the Blue League. Among the savage humanoids, only the drow have the dedication and skill to become Blademasters.
Alignment: Only characters of chaotic alignment may become Blademasters. This is because of the free nature and openness to improvisation and willingness to change that is needed to follow this path.
Characteristics: Strength is important due to his need to wield a sword. Constitution is almost as important so he can see himself through combat. Some choose dexterity because of the weak armor of beginning Blademasters, but over time this is wasteful.

Class Features
Hit Die: D10
Alignment: Any chaotic
Weapon & Armor Proficiencies: The Blademaster is proficient with every type of sword that the Blademaster may wield in one hand, and the two-bladed sword. The Blademaster is proficient in no armor and no shields.
Class Skills: The Blademasters class skills are balance (DEX), bluff (CHA), disguise (CHA), forgery (INT), hide (DEX), intimidate (CHA), move silently (DEX), perform (CHA), climb (STR), and tumble (DEX). 4+int modifier.

Level Base Attack Bonus Fortitude Save Reflex Save Will Save Special AC
1 +1 +2 +0 +0 Duo Weapon, Weapons/Armor Allowed, Sharp-Shield +1
2 +2 +3 +0 +0 Uncanny Dodge (DEX to AC) +2
3 +3 +3 +1 +1 +2
4 +4 +4 +1 +1 Trackless Step +2
5 +5 +4 +1 +1 +3
6 +6/+1 +5 +2 +2 Sword-Shield +3
7 +7/+2 +5 +2 +2 +3
8 +8/+3 +6 +2 +2 +4
9 +9/+4 +6 +3 +3 +4
10 +10/+5 +7 +3 +3 Weapon Specialization +4
11 +11/+6/+1 +7 +3 +3 +5
12 +12/+7/+2 +8 +4 +4 +5
13 +13/+8/+3 +8 +4 +4 Sword-Shield (magic) +5
14 +14/+9/+4 +9 +4 +4 +6
15 +15/+10/+5 +9 +5 +5 +6
16 +16/+11/+6/+1 +10 +5 +5 +6
17 +17/+12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +5 +7
18 +18/+13/+8/+3 +11 +6 +6 +7
19 +19/+14/+9/+4 +11 +6 +6 +7
20 +20/+15/+10/+5 +12 +6 +6 Diamond Essence +8

Weapons/Armor Allowed: The Blademaster may not gain proficiency at any time during his career. Doing so causes him to lose all powers, but his stats remain. If he attempts to use a weapon other than a sword he incurs the –8 penalty for not being proficient, and another –2 penalty. The same applies to armor and shields.
Sharp-Shield: The Blademaster gains the ability to use his swords in his defense somewhat like shields. As he gains levels the AC bonus made by this increases (as shown by the AC column).
Duo-Weapon: the Blademaster may use two weapons with no penalty at all, as long as there swords. He attacks twice each turn.
Uncanny Dodge: As on page 25 of the players handbook.
Trackless Step: As on page 35 of the players handbook.
Sword-Shield: The Blademaster now has the ability to make a shield out of his whirling swords. Doing this is a full round action. It is the same as if the player was standing behind a steel wall. As he gains full cover, neither melee nor ranged attacks may hurt him. His eyesight can go through his “shield”. Only magic may penetrate.
At 13th level target magic may not even penetrate, however area spells still hurt him.
Weapon Specialization: As on page 37 of the players handbook.
Diamond Essence: A combination of Diamond Body and of Diamond Soul, which are both on page 40 of the players handbook.

Myatar_Panwar
2006-11-12, 07:40 PM
Ummmmmmmm, ok. So can a Blademaster attack with his offhand as many times as he wants according to his BAB (normally you can only get one offhand attack per round unless you have certain twoweapon fighting feats)? Or is he even considered of having an offhand? And if he can attack with his offhand as many times as he wants, then you should instead change it to getting the ability to attack once more with the "offhand" at each new BAB (like when he gets to +6/+1 or +11/+6/+1) so that people just dont take one level in it and get the ability to attack with the offhand as many times as their BAB permits, and not have to take the feats. If you know what I meen.

Hmmm, I think I like this class for its simplicity. It has few abilitys but those abilitys are very strong. But one word of advice. I think that the Blademaster should get Duo-sword at third or a later level. Because if you dont then people would just take one level in it so they would never have to get minuses with two weapon fighting.

Edit: O ya, and he has two special AC's? The sword-shield AND the one next to the saves? That might be okay, the class is pretty simple so a little extra, extra Ac wouldent hurt.

Xeran
2006-11-12, 07:45 PM
The one next to the saves represents Sharp Shield. And I didn't think about people just multiclassing out of it...

Rainspattered
2006-11-13, 06:56 PM
Well, if you take it up to third level, they could just multi-class out of it, then. I'd keep it at first since that makes the most sense for class playing purposes and you really won't avoid dirty munchkin types whatever level you put it at.
That said, I think the idea of a class that doesn't really have an off hand and gets full attacks per round at full BaB with both hands is really cool. Given the melee-combat gimping that happens at higher levels, it wouldn't really be considered broken, either, really.

Xeran
2006-11-13, 07:55 PM
Yeah, so I guess you would have to keep this class away from semi-cheating players. Or couldn't you just put in a multiclass restriction?

vanyell
2006-11-15, 09:49 AM
I think the lack of armour, and loss of all abilities would be cross class deterent enough

Were-Sandwich
2006-11-15, 10:51 AM
First: Dipping isn't 'semi-cheating'

Second: too front-loaded. One level nets you the ability to TWF at no penalty. Every Fighter/Swashbuckler/Dervish/Tempest (They're quite common) would take a dip.

Rahdjan
2006-11-15, 12:13 PM
I was messing around with making my own "Blademaster" and here is the quick version of what I came up with.

BAB: 3/4
Saves: Good Ref, Fort
HD: D8
Armor Prof: Medium Armors
Weapon Prof: All slashing weapons (not exotic)

SKILLS
Flurry of Blows: As per monk except only usuable when dual wields slashing weapons.

Bonus Feats: At level 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20
Precise Strike: Starting at lvl 3, a blademaster can cast True Strike as a self only spell 1/day. This goes up to 2/day at level 6 and continues to increase at levels 9, 12 and 15.

Shield of Blades: Starting at lvl 5, a blademaster may deflect 1 missle attack per round. This counts towards the Blademasters Attacks of Oppertunity for the round. At lvl 10, the Blademaster may use this ability as often in a round as he or she has AoO. This ability does not work with large missle such as boulders thrown by giants or Ballista Fire.

Road to Perfection: A Blademaster treats his weapons as extensions of his body. Starting at lvl 10, a Blademaster can not be disarmed by non-magical means and any weapon he wields counts as Adamantite for purposes of being sundered.

I'm still trying to come up with a few more skills for the 15-20 range, but I think you get the idea. To me this will make a solid 20 level class. It prevents people from taking just a lvl or 2 dip because all the TWF goodness is in the flurry of blows and progress as does the Blademaster. I plan to flesh it out with all the RP elements and finished skills and abilitys. I'll probaly post it in it's own thread when it's finished.

Xeran
2006-11-15, 04:41 PM
The whole of my class is based on two weapon fighting with no penalty. And as long as you throw in that multiclass restriction Vanyell suggested it should be good, right?