PDA

View Full Version : ARGLEBARGLE: A Dragon Age strategy conundrum.

PhallicWarrior
2013-03-02, 11:31 PM
Here's the setup: DA1, no dlc, fresh out of Ostagar my party heads to Redcliffe. This being my first time through the game, I had no idea how difficult it would be to keep all of the townsfolk alive. And seeing as my friend decided to be a **** and tell me that there's a reward for 100% survival at the end, I am compelled to try to achieve this. For the record, I am aware that it's just a helmet, and that's already taken into account. It's there, so I want it. Problem being, I've tried the battle four times without managing to do this. I can avoid losing anyone during the part of the battle in front of the windmill; charge the undead before they make it down into aggro range of the knights and all that needs to be done is make sure your own guys stay alive. Near as I can tell, however, there's no way to make this strategy work in the battle in the village itself. Given that I have no one capable of dealing fire damage, no one with healing magic, no saves from before I came to Redcliffe, and that I know I can't leave Redcliffe without dooming everyone in the town to an early death, is there any possible way I can actually save every last guardsman? Is there a trick similar to the one I found for the windmill fight?

JadedDM
2013-03-03, 03:41 AM
Without healing magic? I don't think it's possible.

I managed to save everyone once, but it required me going to the Circle Tower before Redcliffe (thus gaining valuable levels, gear and of course, Wynne). I also taught Morrigan the Heal spell. I then micromanaged both of them so that I could keep every citizen alive. If there's any other way to pull that off, I don't know it.

Grif
2013-03-03, 07:19 AM
Assuming you're playing Normal? Entirely possible. But be prepared for an orgy of save-reloads.

I assume you have the Sten, Allistair and Morrigan about. Dog and Leliana cannot be used since they don't deal enough damage at this level, nor generate enough threat. For the village fight, make sure you get Alistair to spam Threaten and Taunt constantly to lure the zombies to himself. Sten can be wherever: his 2-handed sword should take care of things nicely. Get Morrigan to have Cone of Cold ready and freeze approaching zombies. As for yourself, you'll need to play the role of an off-tank even if your character is not built for it. Station yourself in the outer ring of barricades and make sure you grab the attention of any oncoming enemies and pull others off the villagers. Be sure to watch the health pool of your fellow allies. The Mayor in particular loves to rush forward to tank, so you might want to stick on him. Micromanagement is crucial, and switch to your companions to maximise their abilities if you can.

Of course, if you have Wynne, then the fight becomes much, much easier. (Or if you specced as a healer.)