PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Blazana Knight (Paladin Variant)

Psycho Yuffie
2013-03-03, 07:30 AM
I would never claim to be an expert in roleplaying games. I find them fun to play and DM, though. I have a certain passion for them. I always wanted to create my own classes, but it always felt so daunting. Do I know how the game works well enough to do it? A few weeks ago, I just went for it.

The result was my very first custom class: the Blazana Knight. Blazana is a goddess from my campaign setting: Avelice. She very passionate, righteous, and vengeful. I wanted to come up with something better than the paladin to properly illustrate her fury. I guess the idea was to create paladins that raged like barbarians.

I tried my best to replace class abilities and giving my best guess at whether or not they are equivalent. Not sure how well I did. Opinions?

BLAZANA KNIGHT
Blazana is a goddess of martial wrath and righteousness. Her soldiers bask in her fire and spread her fury across the land, slitting the throats of evil wherever they go. As such, they are fearless—rushing into battle first and asking why they are even fighting later.

Blazana Knights often find their way into trouble. Unlike their paladin brethren, these knights are often rash, blunt, and unpredictable. They will seek out evil, it is their only purpose. Using their martial might to spread their fight against evil, they are often met with fear amongst even the good.

These knights are only devoted Blazana. Unlike paladins, they can’t be dedicated to just an idea or a code of ethics. Despite taking orders from the Blazegate Empire, they are first and foremost committed to Blazana.

No one chooses to be a Blazana Knight. They are chosen by Blazana herself. These knights used to be soldiers with a certain title, but times have changed and the name means something to a specific dedicated members. Blazana does not take to those who ignore her call very well, punishing them severely.

Due to their experiences in fighting the blight, Blazana Knights are trained in basic survival techniques and have the opportunity to learn about natural environments, so they can better distinguish normal conditions from blight conditions. Specifically, to deal with blight during early stages rather than wait for another Great Blight to happen.

Role: Blazana Knights fit the roles of both damage dealer and tank. Being a tank suits them just fine, they love being on the front line. Blazana Knights aren’t the most skillful class. The mission of a Blazana Knight is seek out and destroy evil, often dragging their party along for the ride. As such, they will not suffer evil in their presence. Blazana Knights will act quickly, harshly, and often with deadly consequences, whether if it is a thug on the street, a government official, a farmer, or another party member.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Blazana Knights have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Strength is important for a Blazana Knight because of they love to fight close and personal. Due to this Constitution doesn’t hurt either. Literally. Constitution also dictates how long you can stay in a righteous fury. A Charisma score of 14 or higher is required to use a Blazana Knight's flaming weapon ability.
Alignment: Chaotic good or chaotic neutral.
Hit Die: d10.

Class Skills
The Blazana Knight class skills (and the key ability for each skill Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Knowledge (nobility) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), and Survival (Wis). See Chapter 4: Skills of the Pathfinder Core Rulebook for skill descriptions.
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Blazana Knight.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Blazana Knights are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with shields.

Aura of Good (Ex): The power of a Blazana Knight’s aura of good (see the detect good spell) is equal to her Blazana Knight level, just like the aura of a cleric of a good deity.

Detect Evil (Sp): At will, a Blazana Knight can use detect evil, as the spell.

Smite Evil (Su): Once per day, a Blazana Knight may attempt to smite evil as a swift action. She adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per Blazana Knight level, she adds this bonus damage until the enemy is dead. If the target of smite evil is an outsider with the evil subtype, an evil-aligned dragon, or an undead creature, the bonus damage on the first successful attack increases to 2 points of damage per Blazana Knight level. Regardless of the target, smite evil attacks automatically bypass any DR the creature might possess.

In addition, while smite evil is in effect, the Blazana Knight gains a deflection bonus equal to her Charisma modifier (if any) to her AC against attacks made by the target of the smite. If the Blazana Knight accidentally smites a creature that is not evil, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that day.

At 4rd level, and at every three levels thereafter, the Blazana Knight may smite evil one additional times per day, she gains another smite evil at 20th level for a maximum of eight.

At 10th level, smite evil deals 1 additional point of damage per Blazana Knight level. If the target of the smite evil is an outsider with the evil subtype, an evil-aligned dragon, or an undead creature, smite evil deals 2 additional points of damage per Blazana Knight level on the first successful attack.

Divine Grace (Su): At 2nd level, a Blazana Knight gains a bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws.

Aura of Courage (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a Blazana Knight is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects.

This ability functions while the Blazana Knight is conscious, but not if she is unconscious or dead.

Divine Health (Ex): At 3rd level, a Blazana Knight gains immunity to all diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases (such as mummy rot and lycanthropy). This includes blight.

Righteous Fury (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a Blazana Knight may fly into a fury in battle. This vastly increases her Strength and Constitution. In this state, she can no longer be reasoned with and will hunt down every last evil person they can sense, even at personal risk. The number of rounds she may remain in this fury is equal to her Constitution modifier plus 4. Righteous Fury temporarily increases a Blazana Knight’s Strength and Constitution by 4. During a righteous fury, a Blazana Knight’s sense evil ability is always active. As such, she may only exit her fury willingly if she no longer senses evil. Righteous Fury qualifies as a rage ability, so it is eligible for rage-based feats. When exiting a fury, a Blazana Knight is fatigued for the number of rounds she spent in the fury.

During a fury, a Blazana Knight may not cast spells or spell-like abilities, with the exception of detect evil. She may still use her smite evil and flaming weapon abilities, though.

The difference between a rage and a fury is that a fury does not decrease a Blazana knight’s AC, but it also doesn’t increase her Will save the way that rage does. If a Blazana Knight has a rage ability already, it does not stack with righteous fury. Instead, she may decide between the keeping other rage ability or replacing it with righteous fury. After deciding this, the Blazana Knight increases her number of rage or fury times per day by one.

Flaming Weapon (Su): Beginning at 5th level, a Blazana Knight with a Charisma score of 14 or higher can infuse her weapon (or those of others) with flames by touch. She can do this up to half of her Charisma modifier (rolled up) each day. A flaming weapon deals an additional 2d6 of fire damage on a successful melee attack. This damage does not multiply on a critical hit. This effect lasts for 1 minute per Blazana Knight level. Using this ability is a swift action.

When this ability is used, the weapon receives a +1 enhancement bonus to its attack and damage rolls. For every three levels beyond 5th, the weapon gains anther +1 enhancement bonus, to a maximum of +6 at 20th level. These bonuses, along with the flaming damage, stack with smite evil damage, existing weapon properties, and elemental bonuses from other spells, spell-like abilities, and class abilities.

Aura of Resolve (Su): At 8th level, a Blazana Knight is immune to charm spells and spell-like abilities. Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against charm effects.

Aura of Justice (Su): At 11th level, a Blazana Knight can expend two uses of her smite evil ability to grant the ability to smite evil to all allies within 10 feet, using her bonuses. If allies use this ability before the beginning of the Blazana Knight’s next turn, they gain smite evil for a minute. If not, they lose smite evil.

Divine Fury (Ex): Beginning at 12th level, a Blazana Knights’ Righteous Fury bonus increases her Strength and Constitution by 6. This stacks with other bonuses received from rage-based feats or abilities.

Aura of Faith (Su): At 14th level, a Blazana Knight’s weapons are treated as good-aligned for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. Any attack made against an enemy within 10 feet of her is treated as good-aligned for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

This ability functions while the Blazana Knight is conscious, but not if she is unconscious or dead.

Divine Stamina (Ex): Beginning at 16th Level, a Blazana Knight is no longer fatigued after coming out of a fury.

Aura of Righteousness (Su): At 17th level, a Blazana Knight gains DR5/evil and immunity to mind-effecting spells and spell-like abilities. Each ally within 10 feet if her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against mind-effecting effects.

Endless Fury (Ex): At 20th Level, a Blazana Knight never stops raging so long as she senses evil. In fact, once she is aware of evil, she will automatically fly into a fury and won’t stop until she or her enemy is dead. Blazana Knights’ Righteous Fury increases Strength and Constitution by 8. This stacks with other bonuses received from rage-based feats or abilities.

Ex-Blazana Knight
A Blazana Knight who ceases to be chaotic, who willfully commits an evil act, or who has abandoned her faith loses her spells and Blazana Knight abilities, but not weapon, armor, and shield proficiencies. She may not progress any farther in levels as a Blazana Knight. She regains her abilities and advancement potential if she atones for her violations (see the atonement spell description, Pathfinder Core Rulebook, page 245), as appropriate.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Aura of good, detect evil, smite evil 1/day
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Divine grace
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Aura of courage, divine health, righteous fury 1/day
4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Smite evil 2/day
5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Flaming weapon
6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Righteous fury 2/day
7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Smite evil 3/day
8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Aura of resolve
9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Righteous fury 3/day
10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Smite evil 4/day
11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3|Aura of justice
12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4|Divine fury, righteous fury 4/day
13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+4|Smite evil 5/day
14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4|Aura of faith
15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5|Righteous fury 5/day
16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5|Divine stamina, smite evil 6/day
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|Aura of righteousness
18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|Righteous fury 6/day
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|Smite evil 7/day
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|Endless fury, smite evil 8/day[/table]

inuyasha
2013-03-03, 09:29 PM
OK so I have good news and bad news...
Good news: looks like a pretty cool class
Bad news: to me it just looks like a more fighting less healing oriented paladin (but still cool :smallcool:)

Psycho Yuffie
2013-03-03, 09:55 PM
OK so I have good news and bad news...
Good news: looks like a pretty cool class
Bad news: to me it just looks like a more fighting less healing oriented paladin (but still cool :smallcool:)
Well, this class is, more or less, a paladin variant than a stand-alone class. They do prefer melee combat over ranged and magic attacks. That basically is meant to fit their flavor.

Originally, righteous fury was meant to replace mercy and lay on hands was sacrificed to make divine bond (flaming weapon) and smite evil more potent. After thinking about it, I thought that righteous fury might be powerful enough that they would also lose their spellcasting. Plus, I wasn't sure of Blazana Knights had the patience to deal with magic. If this wasn't an equivalent trad-off, what would you suggest adding in place of spellcasting?

SamBurke
2013-03-04, 02:13 PM
I'll just point out that without spells, this variant is strictly less adaptable than a straight Pally. That said, it's pretty solid for combat.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-04, 05:05 PM
Interesting! I do love tanky classes. I have a couple questions, though.

Why is there a 14 CHA requirement for Flaming Weapon?
Why not smite Lawful if it requires the character to be Chaotic?
Why is the class table (with BAB, saves, and class features) at the end of the post instead of the beginning?

Psycho Yuffie
2013-03-04, 07:44 PM
Interesting! I do love tanky classes. I have a couple questions, though.

Why is there a 14 CHA requirement for Flaming Weapon?
Why not smite Lawful if it requires the character to be Chaotic?
Why is the class table (with BAB, saves, and class features) at the end of the post instead of the beginning?

1. I guess there's no real reason. It's pretty arbitrary, but I guess the idea was that you have to have some Charsima to use the ability. 14 seemed to be a reasonable ability score without being outrageous.

2. Because Blazana Knights are dedicated to hunting down evil. They have no quarrel with law. What makes them chaotic is that they pursue evil regardless of the consequences.

3. No reason. Why? Is it supposed to be at the beginning? I didn't know.