PDA

View Full Version : New prestige class: Choosen of Bahamut

Mortia De Luna Draco
2006-11-12, 05:12 PM
Heres one that me and Earin developed. Wanting criticizm, and good critique.
This is basicly a slight upgrade from the dragon deciple class, but it takes longer to achive it completely.

Chosen of Bahamut
Hit die: D10
Requirments:
Race: Any nondragon (cannot already be a half-dragon).
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge (religion, Bahamut) 8 ranks
Languages: Draconic.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast arcane spells without preparation, or to be able to cast divine spells.
Alignment: Character must be any good
Religion: Must be a follower of Bahamut
Special: Must have gone on at least 2 quests for the sake of religion, and succeeded.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b46/quitmeyer1892/bahamutchart.gif

Class Features
All of the following are Class Features of the Chosen of Bahamut prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Chosen of Bahamut gain proficiency with only a light pick. No other proficiency in any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day/Spells Known
At every even level of Chosen, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class in which he could cast spells before he added the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one spellcasting class in which he could cast spells before he became an Chosen, he must decide to which class he adds each level of Chosen for the purpose of determining spells per day..

Natural Armor Increase (Ex): At 1st, 4th, and 13th level, a choosen gains an increase to the character’s existing natural armor (if any), as indicated on Table: The Chosen. (the numbers represent the total increase gained to that point). As his skin thickens, a Chosen takes on more and more of his progenitor’s physical aspect.

Claws and Bite (Ex): At 2nd level, a chosen gains claw and bite attacks if he does not already have them. Use the values below or the disciple’s base claw and bite damage values, whichever are greater.
A dragon disciple is considered proficient with these attacks. When making a full attack, a dragon disciple uses his full base attack bonus with his bite attack but takes a –5 penalty on claw attacks. The Multiattack feat reduces this penalty to only –2

Ability Boost (Ex): As a Chosen gains levels in this prestige class, his ability scores increase These increases stack and are gained as if through level advancement.

Breath Weapon (Su): At 3rd level, a Chosen gains a minor breath weapon. The type and shape depend on the dragon variety whose heritage he enjoys . Regardless of the ancestor, the breath weapon deals 2d8 points of damage of the appropriate energy type.
, and when a Chosen attains dragon apotheosis at 10th level it reaches its full power at 6d8. Regardless of its strength, the breath weapon can be used only once per day. Use all the rules for dragon breath weapons except as specified here.
The DC of the breath weapon is 10 + class level + Con modifier.
A cone-shaped breath weapon is 30 feet long.

Blindsense (Ex): At 5th level, the Chosen of Bahamut gains blindsense with a range of 30 feet. Using nonvisual senses the chosen notices things it cannot see. He usually does not need to make Spot or Listen checks to notice and pinpoint the location of creatures within range of his blindsense ability, provided that he has line of effect to that creature.
Any opponent the choosen cannot see still has total concealment against him, and the choosen still has the normal miss chance when attacking foes that have concealment. Visibility still affects the movement of a creature with blindsense. A creature with blindsense is still denied its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class against attacks from creatures it cannot see.

Iron scales: At 6th level, the Chosen ‘s scales become more and more like iron. As the scales increase in hardness, It becomes increasingly difficult to land a critical blow on a chosen. At 6th level, treat the scales as having light fortifcation. At 11th, it goes to medium fort, and at 15th, heavy.

Blessings of Bahamut: At 10th level, the Chosen of Bahamut gains the ability to exchange one spell slot, either arcane or devine, for the oppisite type of spell. An arcane caster may pick one devine spell, and exchange it for the same level spell in his list. A devine caster may chose one of his spells to exchange for any arcane spell of the same level. The spells chosen can not be apposed to Bahamut’s schools or domains. He is also granted the ability to detect evil at will.

Wings (Ex): At 11th level, a choosen grows a set of draconic wings. He may now fly at a speed equal to his normal land speed, with good maneuverability

Dragon Apotheosis: At 15th level, a chosen takes on the half-dragon template. His breath weapon reaches full strength (as noted above), and he gains +4 to Strength and +2 to Charisma. His natural armor bonus increases to +4, and he acquires low-light vision, 60-foot darkvision, immunity to sleep and paralysis, and poison effects, and immunity to fire.

the_tick_rules
2006-11-12, 05:16 PM
looks like a combo of vassal of bahamut and dragon disciple, but interesting none the less.

knightsaline
2006-11-14, 01:47 AM
oh gods....

you do realize that at 15th level, you lose all benefits of this class because of the requirement that you are not already a dragon. thats one of the problems with the dragon disciple. it contradicts itself.

Gyrfalcon
2006-11-14, 02:31 AM
To be fair, adding one line 'Becoming a half-dragon as a result of Dragon Apothesis does not count against the racial requirements of this class' will fix that. ;P

Exalted_Hater
2006-11-14, 03:15 AM
Breath Weapon (Su): At 3rd level, a Chosen gains a minor breath weapon. The type and shape depend on the dragon variety whose heritage he enjoys . Regardless of the ancestor, the breath weapon deals 2d8 points of damage of the appropriate energy type.

bold is mine

you seem to have forgotten to add Draconic Heratige to the list of pre-reqs.

and doing so would make this a Sorcerer only PrC.

maybe try the old roll a d% to determine what type of half dragon the Chosen is turning in to. or DM picks.

one last thing... how many skill points per lvl? 2 or 4 should do it, and that brings up the question... what are the class skills?

almost forgot... i'm a big fan of dragons, so lets make this guy a bit more dragonish... give them a d12 and replace the fortifacaton with DR 5, 10, 15 /magic. and energy resistance as it stands now... energy immunity at 20HD? maybe resist scaling into immunity around PrC lvl 10?

and the size increase at lvl 6... you didn't explain that one

all in all, i like the idea :smallsmile:, and i hope my ideas help

Gyrfalcon
2006-11-14, 03:25 AM
As with Dragon Disciple, I suspect you can choose your heritage as you enter the prestige class.

Otherwise, the HD was bumped down I suspect for balance reasons - compared to the original Dragon Disciple, this class is much more powerful, including actual caster progression as opposed to spell selection known progression.

Fortification is less powerful then out and out DR, and again, Dragon Disciples and half-dragons don't even get DR, and PC DR tends to top out around 5/weakness ... 10/magic and 15/magic are extremely powerful.

Exalted_Hater
2006-11-14, 04:11 AM
good points on, well, everything Gryf.

here's my reasoning...

about heritage: the second most venerated God of the Good Dragons (aka the DM{i remembered IO}) is Choosing this person, so the God grants the His Chosen the draconic energy that He deems most Suitable. IIRC the deciple attains his transformation in a manner muchlike a Monk attains Perfect Self, so he guides his own transformation.

i'll reluctantly give in to your logic on the HD, though i think this would rank Up There with Exalted Deeds levels of Power and thus the d12.

and about the DR/magic... unless your in a low/no magic campaign, what kind of self respecting BBEG would not have an enchanted weapon at CR 11? in my experiance, magic weapons usualy come out around lvl 3 and if i'm a Wizard never later than lvl 5 so i guess i threw in the DR just to ad flavor to the class. that, and the only PrC i know about that have fortification are in Libris Mortis or are for Warforged... and i can't think of any Dragons (true or otherwise) that have fortification.

All PrC designers need to keep the flavor of the Class in mind and with that in my mind, how about a new Pre-req, Feats: Dragonfriend. 'cause what goodly dragon god would grant this blessing upon a mortal who does not look upon His mighty Children as Friends? gods i love flavor!:smallbiggrin:

Mortia De Luna Draco
2006-11-17, 02:07 AM
looks like a combo of vassal of bahamut and dragon disciple, but interesting none the less.

That was kinda my intent. Glad it shows...

oh gods....

you do realize that at 15th level, you lose all benefits of this class because of the requirement that you are not already a dragon. thats one of the problems with the dragon disciple. it contradicts itself.

*sigh*

To be fair, adding one line 'Becoming a half-dragon as a result of Dragon Apothesis does not count against the racial requirements of this class' will fix that. ;P

I had figured that it was assumed, but perhaps adding that line would keep people from aruing about it. Assuming anyone ever uses it...

bold is mine

you seem to have forgotten to add Draconic Heratige to the list of pre-reqs.

and doing so would make this a Sorcerer only PrC.

maybe try the old roll a d% to determine what type of half dragon the Chosen is turning in to. or DM picks.

one last thing... how many skill points per lvl? 2 or 4 should do it, and that brings up the question... what are the class skills?

almost forgot... i'm a big fan of dragons, so lets make this guy a bit more dragonish... give them a d12 and replace the fortifacaton with DR 5, 10, 15 /magic. and energy resistance as it stands now... energy immunity at 20HD? maybe resist scaling into immunity around PrC lvl 10?

and the size increase at lvl 6... you didn't explain that one

all in all, i like the idea :smallsmile:, and i hope my ideas help

Nope, didnt forget to add draconic hertiage. It just says what kind of half dragon their turning into.

Ah... Skill points. I knew I forgot something. I would say 2, as this is a rather powerful class.

I got rid of a D12 for ballance reasons, same with the fortification. It applies less than damage reduction does, but still gives a perk. I figured it would help ballance a little more. I know that dragons dont have any fortifacation, but I think that Bahamut would look after his own by granting them some kind of protection.

Again, by the time your imune to your own weapon, you have to have gone to 20th lvl. You have been through alot to get this far, and now is when it pays off. I like it being one of the last things you get, beacuse it is one of the prises at the end of the tunnel.

Ah, yes. The size increase. I included that basicly beacuse it was in the old 3.5 DD class, and I miss it. To justify it, dragons are bigger, stronger, and more powerful than just about anything. The size increase is a visual manisfestation of how the choosen is growing in power.

Thanks! I like it too, Im just wanting to see if I went too far.

As with Dragon Disciple, I suspect you can choose your heritage as you enter the prestige class.

Otherwise, the HD was bumped down I suspect for balance reasons - compared to the original Dragon Disciple, this class is much more powerful, including actual caster progression as opposed to spell selection known progression.

Fortification is less powerful then out and out DR, and again, Dragon Disciples and half-dragons don't even get DR, and PC DR tends to top out around 5/weakness ... 10/magic and 15/magic are extremely powerful.

dead on. Glad to make your aquaintance...
*bows*

good points on, well, everything Gryf.

here's my reasoning...

about heritage: the second most venerated God of the Good Dragons (aka the DM{i remembered IO}) is Choosing this person, so the God grants the His Chosen the draconic energy that He deems most Suitable. IIRC the deciple attains his transformation in a manner muchlike a Monk attains Perfect Self, so he guides his own transformation.

i'll reluctantly give in to your logic on the HD, though i think this would rank Up There with Exalted Deeds levels of Power and thus the d12.

and about the DR/magic... unless your in a low/no magic campaign, what kind of self respecting BBEG would not have an enchanted weapon at CR 11? in my experiance, magic weapons usualy come out around lvl 3 and if i'm a Wizard never later than lvl 5 so i guess i threw in the DR just to ad flavor to the class. that, and the only PrC i know about that have fortification are in Libris Mortis or are for Warforged... and i can't think of any Dragons (true or otherwise) that have fortification.

All PrC designers need to keep the flavor of the Class in mind and with that in my mind, how about a new Pre-req, Feats: Dragonfriend. 'cause what goodly dragon god would grant this blessing upon a mortal who does not look upon His mighty Children as Friends? gods i love flavor!:smallbiggrin:

Heritage, I was assuming gold, tho I never stated that. I guess it would be up to the DM to choose, or the PC. Either would work, but I cant see Bahamut giving a black dragon all these neat powers...

The fortifacation is my way of making up for not having any realy good armor. This class helps a magic caster, (devine or arcane) into becoming more involved in an fight, and having some melee chances. For more info on the fortifacation, see above.

I like the idea of having that feat as a prereq. Thanks for the advise!!

Exalted_Hater
2006-11-17, 04:48 AM
my thoughts about the Fortification/DR thing were mostly for flavor.

Do you have the Draconomicon? if so, check out all the planar dragons.

Some are Evil (everywhere but Eberron)i.e. Tartarian, Stygian, Styx...

Some are Good (see ^) friggen Radiant!, Battle Dragon, Oceanius...

Some are Asian (and in OA) all the various Lung types.

give some consideration to the Good Non-Metalic types.

the Radiant Dragons have a habit of being used by Bahamut as messengers and such. also the only Greater good planar dragon (medium Wyrmling)

Ah, yes. The size increase. I included that basicly beacuse it was in the old 3.5 DD class, and I miss it. To justify it, dragons are bigger, stronger, and more powerful than just about anything. The size increase is a visual manisfestation of how the choosen is growing in power.

just up 1 catagorey with all the perks?

The DC of the breath weapon is 10 + class level + Con modifier.

the DCs of a half-dragons Breath weapons is 10 + 1/2 Racial HD + Con mod. Your way seems a bit under-powered when the chosen gets it.
Lets assume a realy sutrdy human for the character Con 18 (+4) maybe 20 (+5) if this is where he put his Ability Points. so an 8th lvl character belching out an attack with a Save DC of 7 or 8 -- baring magic items (brings it to 9) and Ability Focus (11).

Not to bad if he's hosing down a group low-level commoners, but something of his level at 8 with a Poor Reflex save (+2) and a decent dex mod (also +2)... has to roll a 7 or better to save.

A good Save mod (+6) decent dex (+2) neede to roll a 3 to save.

At this point, a 8HD half-dragon with the same scores (adding in racial adjustments) and Ability Focus would have a save DC of 12.

at 20HD: 10+8+2 = 20

So now the guy with the good save looks like:

12+5 = 17 needs to roll a 3 so 85% chance to save

while the guy with the bad saves:
6+5 = 11 needs to roll a 9... 55% yeah, burn that action point.

going with your way
level 8... 3+5+2=8

this gives the fighter (+4) a 80% chance. Wow!... while the monk (+8) - um, does he even have to roll? - laughs at you... and at the fighter... (derned Evasion)

level 20... 15+9+2 = 26

this gives the fighter a 20% chance(wow, he managed to kiss his own but good buy in time)... while the monk (45%) laughs at you... and at the fighter... (derned Improved Evasion)

So the question is... "Do you want this guys Breath Weapon weak to start, but getting massively more potent than a regular half-Dragon... or do you want it harder to dodge becaust this guy has LA+0?"

remember, Classes that transform you dont give you that peskey Level Adjustment. Case in point, the Dread Necro... turns ya in to a Litch... with no level adjustment.