PDA

View Full Version : Help me Item shop! (Help with items for a level 9 Necromancer?)

Giegue
2013-03-03, 09:44 AM
As the title asks. I have been given the opportunity to playtest my own prestige class, the Monarch of the Damned (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246930)(Using specalist necromancer wizard as my base class.) and I have now reached the hardest part of character creation for me; item shopping. Thus, I turn to all of you for help. The starting level is 9 and we have full WBL for a level 9 character to work with. So, do any of you here have item suggestions? If so, please post here and be sure to include A) the price of the item and B) what sourcebook it is from. So anybody willing to help me out?

Slipperychicken
2013-03-03, 10:08 AM
Scrolls of Animate Dread Warrior. These will be perfect for any caster bosses you kill, as Dread Warriors retain their spellcasting ability (their Int and Cha take a hit, but you can just hand them an item to make it up).

CaladanMoonblad
2013-03-03, 10:58 AM
Don't Necromancers adore fashion?

I'd start with a spiffy cloak... something dark... something twisted... something evil... something like... the cloak of shadows! (seriously, if your DM is letting you use your own prestige class, why not your own crafted magic items to boot?)

Cloak of Shadows- continuous Shadow Walk spell command activated, (11 caster level)(6th level wizard spell)(2000) = 132k... okay, maybe a bit expensive...

How about War Wizard Cloak (page 147 of Magic Item Compendium, costs 16k, gives you a useful bunch of spells 1x daily)?

A +1 Mithral Chain Shirt of Twilight = 0% spell failure, no ACP, and costs... 1k mithral, 150 mwk, 100 base cost, 4,000 for Twilight and +1 magic = 5250 gp grand total. Plus, since it's twilight, it already has a nearly transparent look to it.

Next... some sort of staff... I always like the Runestaff of Fire (page 180 of Magic Item Compendium) that lets you sub out an appropriate spell level for burning hands, fireball, or wall of fire. Since you're a necromancer, this staff is only 8400 gp and lets you focus on really dark spells and you never have to worry about an AOE spell preparation. Plus, since it's bronzewood with bronze bindings... it looks good.

Giegue
2013-03-03, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the help. Anyway, I have a question. Is there some more defensive items I can afford at this level? I'm banning illusion and abjuration, so if at all possible I'd like some stuff to beaf up my defenses. The armor does the trick for AC, but what about against magic? Is there a cloak of resistance I can afford at this level? Or something similar to give me some spell defense?