PDA

View Full Version : Rust Monster Mount?

RedDragons
2013-03-03, 11:58 AM
What are the worries and dangers of owning a rust monster, if you are decked in non metal gear; can it be effective mid to high levels or victim to one AOe spell and end up dead.

Xenogears
2013-03-03, 11:59 AM
They have around 27 HP IIRC so a bit too squishy unless you could get one as a Special Mount or Animal Companion to buff it up to reasonable levels of survivability.

Telonius
2013-03-03, 12:03 PM
Biggest benefit: It eats the enemy's sword. Eaten swords can't hurt you.
Biggest danger: It eats the enemy's sword. Eaten swords can't be sold.

drew2u
2013-03-03, 12:28 PM
I don't see why a druid focusing on insects and vermin couldn't have a rust monster as an animal companion. It shouldn't be overpowered, at least by a large amount.

hamishspence
2013-03-03, 12:35 PM
In Arms & Equipment Guide, it mentions that apparently Dwarves like using them as mounts. Maybe they tend to use them against primitive opponents whose metal items are not worth salvaging anyway.

Vizzerdrix
2013-03-03, 12:40 PM
I don't see why a druid focusing on insects and vermin couldn't have a rust monster as an animal companion. It shouldn't be overpowered, at least by a large amount.

Because they are neither an insect, nor vermin. They are aberrations.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-03, 12:40 PM
Aside from the flavor issues (rust monster is an aberration), slotting them in at the -6 companion level for druids is perfect.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-03-03, 12:47 PM
In Arms & Equipment Guide, it mentions that apparently Dwarves like using them as mounts. Maybe they tend to use them against primitive opponents whose metal items are not worth salvaging anyway.

I read that too, but in another book. But might I suggest another reason?

Dwarves are master craftsmen. The head of their pantheon is Moradin, a god with Crafting as his portfolio. Why would you, a noble dwarven soldier, bother with nondwarven equipment from a foe that fell to you anyway? In fact, why not attack the Svirfneblin and Drow and Duergar (all competitors for crafty metal items) with Rust Monsters and then club 'em to death in their skivvies?

To the topic at hand; may I point RedDragons to the magical quality "blue shine" for armor and "everbright" for weapons? These entries in the Magic Item Compendium (pages 9 and 34-35) state that these enhancements make the items immune to "acid damage and rusting effects." They are flat costs too, so 1500 gp for armor with blueshine and 2000 gp for a weapon with Everbright. You can have your cake and eat it too (but only armor and weapons- keep those wondrous items away from Dolly!) And wear gloves for rings. And keep your amulet under your shirt- maybe glue it to your chest.