PDA

View Full Version : The Warlock re-imagined (PEACH)

barna10
2013-03-03, 03:34 PM
The Warlock (re-imagined)
(more fluff and stuff to come)

My intent with this re-work was to provide a tier 3 Warlock option that wasn't just a vehicle to provide more Eldritch Blast damage. Also, I have never been a fan of Melee-Locks of any flavor and wanted a more magely version. In addition, I have always found the open-ended Imbue Item ability to be a bit broken and badly designed.

This variant should reach tier 3 and provide a better item creation ability with some flavor all while not just becoming more of a tank.

Alignment: Any non-Lawful
Hit Die: d6

There are many possible Warlock characters so I feel limiting the alignment choices too much to be out of line. That being said, the image of the Warlock is of someone living outside of societies norms meaning a Lawful alignment doesn't make sense.

I left the Hit Die the same because I wanted a Sorcerer stand-in, not a Duskblade wannbe.

LevelBABFortRefWillSpecialInvocations

1st+0+0+0+2 Eldritch Blast, Invocations (Least), Arcane Mimicry, Eldritch Body (Resistances)1

2nd+1+0+0+3 Warlock Eyes, Eldritch Inspiration 2

3rd+1+1+1+3 Master of the Cauldron 3

4th+2+1+1+4 Eldritch Body (DR 1/cold iron)4

5th+2+1+1+4 Master of the Forge, Eldritch Body (Fortitude+1, Fast Healing 1)5

6th+3+2+2+5 Invocations (Least or Lesser)6

7th+3+2+2+5 Deceive Item 7

8th+4+2+2+6 Eldritch Body (DR 2/cold iron)8

9th+4+3+3+6 Master Craftsman (Skill Focus, Take 10)9

10th+5+3+3+7 Eldritch Body (Fortitude+2, Fast Healing 2)10

11th+5+3+3+7 Invocations (Least, Lesser, or Greater)11

12th+6/+1+4+4+8 Eldritch Body (DR 3/cold iron)12

13th+6/+1+4+4+8Master Craftsman (Skill Focus)13

14th+7/+2+4+4+9Quick Invoker14

15th+7/+2+5+5+9Eldritch Body (Fortitude+3, Fast Healing 3)15

16th+8/+3+5+5+10 Eldritch Body (DR 4/cold iron), Invocations (Least, Lesser, Greater, or Dark)16

17th+8/+3+5+5+10Master Craftsman (Skill Focus)17

18th+9/+4+6+6+11 Still Invoker18

19th+9/+4+6+6+11Extraordinary Invocation 19

20th+10/+5+6+6+12 Eldritch Body (DR 5/cold iron, Fortitude+4, Fast Healing 4, Outsider Type)20

Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level, x 6 at 1st level): Bluff, Concentration, Craft(all), Disguise, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge(Arcana), Knowledge(Religion), Knowledge(The Planes), Profession(all), Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device.

I didn't muck with the skill choices, but I did add some skill points. This variant is heavily skill-dependent and wouldn't work without more skill points.

Weapons and Armor: All simple weapons, Light armor.

Nothing special here. Casting and using Invocations in Light armor is a staple of the Tier 3 casters so I saw no need to change anything.

Invocations: As a normal Warlock, except he gains invocations as noted on the table above.

Since I wanted this class to be somewhat of a tier 3 Sorcerer it needed more options. The greater number of invocations together with Arcane Mimicry should achieve that goal.

Eldritch Blast: As a normal Warlock except that damage is 1d4 per class level, and the Warlock adds his Charisma bonus as a damage bonus to his Eldritch Blast damage.

Again, my goal wasn't to make a better damage dealer, but Eldritch Blast was still lacking. By 10th level most other casters have spells that can outshine a 20th level Warlock's EB, and reserve feats make the EB equally bland. This upgrade should provide the umph that EB needs to be a dangerous weapon without making it overpowered.

I've seen many "fixes" that provide iterative attacks, or swift EBs to make up for the lack of firepower, but I think it should be treated like a spell. Since a normal mage can only fire 1 spell per round, the Warlock should only be able to fire 1 EB per round.

Lastly, adding the Charisma Bonus in fits the class and provides a way for some Warlocks to be better than others instead of every 5th level Warlock to be the equivalent every other 5th level Warlock, etc.

Eldritch Body: The Warlock’s body is infused with arcane energy. This makes him stronger and slowly changes him into something resembling a creature from the outer planes. At First level, choose two of the following energy types: acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. There after the warlock has resistance to the chosen energy types equal to the warlock’s class level (i.e. a 5th level warlock has resistance 5 to his chosen types).

At 4th level the Warlock’s body toughens to the point of providing damage reduction. He gains DR 1/cold iron. This improves by 1 every 4 levels after 4th.

At 5th level the Warlocks metabolism begins to change. He gains a +1 bonus to Fortitude saves. Every 5 levels after 5th the bonus to Fortitude saves increases by 1.

Also at 5th level the Warlock gains Fast Healing 1. This is as listed in the Monster Manual except that it will only heal the Warlock up to halve his hit points. Every 5 levels after 5th his Fast Healing improves by 1 up to Fast Healing 4 at 20th level.

At 20th level the Warlock’s body changes drastically. His type changes to Outsider. He gains Spell Resistance equal to 10 + his Charisma modifier + ½ his class level. In addition he no longer needs to sleep and no longer ages. Unlike other Outsiders he can still be raised or resurrected.

Eldritch Inspiration: Creativity and mad genius often drive a Warlock as much as raw, eldritch power. The warlock adds his Charisma bonus to all Craft checks.

I wanted this variant to be brimming with creativity and artistic talent. Making him a great crafter seemed to fit that. This should turn normal crafting into an art form.

Arcane Mimicry: A few times per day the Warlock is capable of focusing his internal energies into something resembling an arcane spell. He does this as a spell-like ability that follows all the rules for using one of his invocations (subject to arcane spell failure, a standard action, etc.). He can mimic any spell found on the Sorcerer/Wizard list by making a Spellcraft check with a DC equal to 20 + (spell level x2). The Warlock can pull off this trick a number of times per day equal to 1 plus his Charisma modifier. If he fails the Spellcraft check, that use per day is lost just as if he had been successful. He can mimic a spell with a spell level equal to or less than his class level/3 (round down) and only one spell per day of the highest level he can mimic. Also, the Warlock cannot mimic any spell that requires XP to cast or has a material component worth more than 1gp.

Warlock Eyes: At will, a warlock can cause his eyes to glow with a soft glow. The color is often a reflection of the warlock’s mood (red for anger, green for envy, etc.). This grants Low Light Vision and the warlock can detect magical auras as the spell detect magic, at will.

This ability is mainly for the sheer coolness, but I also felt giving the ability to see in low light helped the class.

Master of the Cauldron: By infusing strange brews with the raw eldritch power he wields the warlock is able to brew magical potions. The warlock gains the Brew Potion feat as a bonus feat. The warlock must provide all materials and experience as normal. However, instead of requiring spell knowledge to brew potions, the Warlock is able to substitute a Craft(Alchemy) skill roll in place of the potion’s spell requirements. The DC of the check is 15 + (the spell level x2). If he fails the roll by less than 5, he must start the process over, but the raw materials (and experience) are not wasted and can be used again. If he fails by more than 5 the brew is ruined (but the experience is not lost). This process otherwise follows the normal rules for potion creation.

Gaining Imbue Item at 12th level always seemed a bit late. Also, in my mind's eye, Warlocks are similar to Witches. Standing over a cauldron and brewing up a love potion or something just seems to fit that idea.

Master of the Forge: In much the same way as a Warlock can brew potions he is capable of channeling energy into other crafted items. As a bonus feat, the Warlock gains either Craft Wondrous Items or Craft Weapons and Armor. Every 5 levels after 5th, the Warlock gains one additional Craft Items Feat which he meets the prerequisites for. The Warlock is able to craft magical items similar to those produced by other mages and the Artificer, but his process is not as refined nor is it capable of producing any item. In addition, the Warlock must create the base item from scratch. It is in the act of creating the item that the Warlock infuses it with eldritch power. He must provide all of the raw materials and experience as normal, and this process takes the normal time as outlined in the DMG. However, just like how the Warlock is capable of substituting a Craft (Alchemy) check for the spell requirements of a potion, so can he also substitute the appropriate Craft (Item) check for other items. For example, if he were forging a +1 Long sword he would make a Craft (Weaponsmithing) check.
The Warlock is capable of instilling bonuses and enchantments upon items, but not the ability to cast spells. For instance, he can create a +1 Suit of Full Plate, +1 Flaming Long Sword, or even an Animated Rope, but he cannot scribe a scroll or create a wand of Fireball using this ability.
The DC of the craft check is 15 + (the item’s bonus total x5). For instance, a +1 Flaming Longsword would require a DC of 25. For items that aren’t weapons or armor, compare the item’s base price to the values on table 7-9: Weapons on page 222 of the DMG (an item costing 2000 gp or less would be considered +1, 2000 gp – 8000 gp +2, etc. A Ring of Protection +5 costs 50,000 gp and would require have a DC of 40). If the Item costs more than 200,000 gp, add +1 to the DC for each 50,000 gp over 200,000 gp. Only roll needs to be made to the create the item (the Warlock does not need to roll for creating a master work item as the DC for creating the magical version will be the same or higher).
If he fails the roll by less than 5, he must start the process over, but the raw materials (and experience) are not wasted and can be used again. If he fails by more than 5 the item is ruined (but the experience is not lost). This process otherwise follows the normal rules for item creation.

Deceive Item: As a normal Warlock except for gaining it at the level noted on the table above.

Master Craftsman: At 9th level and every 4 levels after 9th the Warlock receives Skill Focus as a bonus feat. In addition, his innate artistic talent and his skill combine to allow him to take 10 on any craft check for which he has the Skill Focus feat.

Quick Invoker: A number of times per day equal to the Warlock’s Charisma modifier (minimum of 1) he may use an invocation as a swift action.

Still Invoker: The Warlock is no longer subject to Arcane Spell failure when using any spell-like ability and can use spell-like abilities even when paralyzed, held, grappled, etc.

Extraordinary Invocation: The Warlock can choose any of his Invocations and it is hereafter an extraordinary ability instead of a Spell-Like ability. This means it will work in an anti-magic field, is not subject to spell resistance, and cannot be dispelled.

Kane0
2013-03-03, 04:17 PM
Looks good, and it's a nice little change in direction while keeping the flavor.

The only two things I can see straight away is he gets fast healing that scales. Some other classes like the dragon shaman have fast healing, but it is usually either under a time limit or stops after you reach half HP to curb its power. May I suggest you allow your Fast Healing to work only until you reach half HP?

And second is EB is d4s now. Adding CHA bonus to damage is great, you don't need to offset it by lowering the damage dice, especially since this EB isnt iterative.

Also, mind if I add it to the compendium?

barna10
2013-03-03, 05:07 PM
Looks good, and it's a nice little change in direction while keeping the flavor.

The only two things I can see straight away is he gets fast healing that scales. Some other classes like the dragon shaman have fast healing, but it is usually either under a time limit or stops after you reach half HP to curb its power. May I suggest you allow your Fast Healing to work only until you reach half HP?

And second is EB is d4s now. Adding CHA bonus to damage is great, you don't need to offset it by lowering the damage dice, especially since this EB isnt iterative.

Also, mind if I add it to the compendium?

Thanks! Feel free to add it to the compendium.

Re Eldritch blast damage: I scaled it down to d4s because it is 1d4 per level. Do you think it should still be d6s at 1 per level?

I see your point about Fast Healing, I'll change that, let me know what you think.

Change:
At 5th level the Warlocks metabolism begins to change. He gains a +1 bonus to Fortitude saves. Every 5 levels after 5th the bonus to Fortitude saves by 1.
Also at 5th level the Warlock gains the ability to enter a restorative trance. While in the trance the Warlock cannot take any actions or move. When he first gets this ability at level 5 it offers Fast Healing 1. At 10th level it increases to Fast Healing 2. At 15th level Ability Damage can also be healed at the same rate. Finally at 20th level the Fast Healing becomes Regeneration 2 which means the Warlock can now regrow lost body parts.

Wargamer
2013-03-03, 05:12 PM
20th level Warlock is still doing an average of 50 damage per attack with a ranged touch attack before applying anything else... so I'd say that's pretty acceptable personally. :P

I would comment further, but my Complete Arcane was "borrowed" by a friend and so I don't have it on hand to compare to yours. :P

barna10
2013-03-03, 05:17 PM
20th level Warlock is still doing an average of 50 damage per attack with a ranged touch attack before applying anything else... so I'd say that's pretty acceptable personally. :P

I would comment further, but my Complete Arcane was "borrowed" by a friend and so I don't have it on hand to compare to yours. :P

Thanks for the response!

Kane0
2013-03-03, 06:21 PM
Oops, missed that it was every level instead of every 2. In that case then no problem.

On the Fast healing/regen, it still allows you to be virtually at full combat capability every encounter with the ability to self heal to full any time out of combat and unlimited magic. Thats the main reason I suggested the fast healing only works up to half HP.

How about fast healing as you state on the table when under half HP functioning passively, and the healing trance can be used once per day to restore some ability/level damage/drain?

Also, try to stay away from regeneration. One of the great things about the warlock is that it is a magic class that isn't as complex as most casters. Plus regeneration can be broken easily with non-lethal immunity and such. Fast healing is all you would really need.

barna10
2013-03-03, 06:35 PM
How about fast healing as you state on the table when under half HP functioning passively, and the healing trance can be used once per day to restore some ability/level damage/drain?

Good point. I'll just go back to the original version and limit it to halve HP. I like simplicity.

barna10
2014-08-27, 08:55 PM
I still haven't had the chance to playtest this. Has anyone tried it? If so, how did it go? Any recommended changes?

nonsi
2014-08-27, 11:50 PM
My 2 cents:

On average, the difference between d4s and d6s is a single point of damage per level.
It's not that significant and it's balanced by the fact that your Warlock's ranged-touch attack has been compromised by lowering its BAB to poor.
(FYI: The reason you encounter EB iterarives is so that the Warlock's primary means of attack is not subject to foil like regular spells)

Consider omitting "color is often a reflection of the warlock’s mood" from Warlock Eyes.
You don't want to provide intel to the enemy (or promote mockery within the group).