PDA

View Full Version : New 3.5 DM Needs Advice

PrinceOfMadness
2013-03-03, 04:28 PM
So I find myself in the situation that our gaming group needs a new game (there are some issues in our current game that I am basically wanting everyone to approach with, shall we say, cooler heads). We've been playing a lot of grimdark sci-fi (40k, Iron Kingdoms, Shadowrun) so I'm looking for something a little different. Basically, while everyone in our group has played some D&D, almost no one (1 guy) has played 3.5, and I figure that's a good one to know.

So here's the deal. I've never played 3.5 directly but I am familiar with many of the basic mechanics (I have some experience with it through games like Neverwinter Nights 2, D&D Online, and KotOR). I'm looking to run an adventure module for the group to cut my prep time (ideally something around level 5-7) that can be run as a one-off or chain into a grand old campaign if people like it. I would prefer adventures that have some light-hearted elements, and strike a good balance between combat and "skill challenges" (social interactions, dungeon traps, puzzle-solving, etc). I'm also looking for tips, tricks, hints, and resources for a new 3.5 DM. I have access to most of the official Wizards books either through my personal library or the local game shops.

I'd also like to know what kind of house rules I should look at implementing. I've often heard that it's a good idea to ban non-WoTC supplements, as well as Dragon Magazine.

pbdr
2013-03-03, 06:16 PM
If it's a one-off, i'd say core only.

If it's a campaign, I'd g with core plus other material on a case by case basis. This let's you get a chance to look over the non-core material and familiarize yourself with it before hand, and also prevent some of the squirrelier stuff from getting in....

Krobar
2013-03-03, 08:15 PM
I probably wouldn't worry about too much in the way of house rules yet. At least not until you're familiar enough with the rules to know where the problems are and where they aren't. Before my group ever got into house rules we ran a game for almost 4 years with no problems. It was mostly core though, without a bunch of optimizing. The fighter had fun, the monk had fun, the cleric and wizard didn't really overshadow the others - they did a lot of party buffing and the traditional combat spells.

You can have a great game without optimization and house rules.

Crake
2013-03-03, 08:42 PM
If it's a one-off, i'd say core only.

If it's a campaign, I'd g with core plus other material on a case by case basis. This let's you get a chance to look over the non-core material and familiarize yourself with it before hand, and also prevent some of the squirrelier stuff from getting in....

To add to this, if it's a campaign I strongly suggest starting at level 1. A bunch of character attachment occurs at lower levels, and it makes the transition into higher levels feel more deserved.

If it's a one-off though, sure, 5-7 is a good starting point.

Telonius
2013-03-03, 08:44 PM
Battlemats can be a real help. So can "initiative cards." Basically, fill out a few notecards beforehand, with player and character name, save bonuses, spot check, listen check, Initiative modifier, and Dexterity score. Keep a blank card for your monsters. When you call for initiative, you can place them in the correct order; saves a lot of time trying to remember who went when. It's also a good quick reference for you if you need to know the results of a hidden roll. (i.e. did they hear the orcs sneaking up on them, or not).

On that note, make a bunch of d20 rolls before the session starts, and record them. That way the players won't have the "DM just rolled dice, start acting suspicious" tendencies. (Even really experienced players can have trouble suppressing that, it's a lot of human nature to overcome).

If you're going to make just one houserule, I'd suggest completely ignoring Multiclass Experience penalties. It's more math on your part to determine everybody's experience reward, and I've never seen how it enhances the gaming experience at all.

Crake
2013-03-03, 08:48 PM
On that note, make a bunch of d20 rolls before the session starts, and record them. That way the players won't have the "DM just rolled dice, start acting suspicious" tendencies. (Even really experienced players can have trouble suppressing that, it's a lot of human nature to overcome).

I personally prefer to roll randomly here and there so that the players either are always on their toes, or more likely they eventually settle down and get complacent regardless of if you're rolling dice or not. Works out either way.

Karnith
2013-03-03, 08:54 PM
To add to this, if it's a campaign I strongly suggest starting at level 1. A bunch of character attachment occurs at lower levels, and it makes the transition into higher levels feel more deserved.
While I think that starting a new group at low levels is a good idea, I would recommend starting at second or third level, rather than first. At first level, everything is so squishy and bonuses to everything are so small that combat is very swingy, and characters (and enemies) die at the drop of a hat. Skills and other non-combat things are also very dependent on rolls and much less dependent on character abilities. After a few levels, though, characters become a little sturdier, so not everything is instant death, and they get significant enough bonuses to start feeling accomplished in their roles.

PrinceOfMadness
2013-03-03, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Anyone have any preferred modules to run? I'd really prefer to run a published adventure rather than cook up something on my own.

Crake
2013-03-03, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Anyone have any preferred modules to run? I'd really prefer to run a published adventure rather than cook up something on my own.

Temple of elemental evil can last a while depending on your players, and it can be quite easy to implement into a larger metaplot. I've always been a fan of homebrew plots, but I can understand that many people don't have that kind of time on their hands.

World's largest dungeon has 16 or so parts that can be individually played with level ranges from 1-20, so you can probably find something you like in there too.