PDA

View Full Version : Reckoning of Flortean

limejuicepowder
2013-03-03, 09:48 PM
Len Hawke

The inn you have stayed in for the last two days, called the Gold Rush, is a simple place, defined by its lack of everything but the most basic: a long sagging table serves as a bar, mismatched tables and chairs dot the cramped main room, and the fireplace is little more than a hole in the one stone wall. The rooms are the in the same "style" - if it could be called that. Judging by the look of food, it's not much different either. The patrons that frequent the establishment are worn down and ragged, even for times like these. They match the room perfectly.

On this particular night, the Gold Rush is nearly empty, making the place seem even more forlorn than normal. You suspect the evening crowd has not arrived yet. The barkeep, a burly, dirty fellow, glances at you every few minutes.

With a bang of wood and the stomp of boots, a man enters the main door. Stopping for a moment to peer through the relative darkness, his eyes fall on you. Barely dropping his gaze, he strides over to the bar and orders a pint. Once it comes, he walks to your table and stops at the side opposite you. He is rather tall, with stubble covering the bottom half of his tanned and lined face. Auburn hair peaks out from underneath a wide-brimmed woven hat. His simple clothes seem rather ill-fitting, billowing around him as his moves. "May I sit at your table?"

Kel Denom

Though you'd heard once before that the number seven was supposed to be lucky, it didn't seem to be working for this particular street. The barely readable sign at the foot of the gently sloped street identified it has Seven Street, but there didn't seem to be any reason for the name. Flanked by Goldrun Street and the main boulevard of Nimal Lane, Seven Street seemed exceptionally dirty and foul smelling, even for a city. The buildings were in need of repair, and it was difficult to tell if the few businesses were open or had been closed for years. The gutters ran with foul water and waste, both human and animal.

The only building of note was a squat-looking 2-story stone structure that stood at the end of the street. Due to the curve of the hill, only the top of it was visible from the beginning of the street. You had been past it before, and knew it was a church of some kind. Each time you had walked past it, there has been a somber-looking man wearing simple grey robes standing outside. He was always holding the same sign that declared "Closer Draws The End. Prepare."

As you make your way up the street, the sound of raised voices reaches your ears. When you crest the hill and can see the entirety of the stone building, you see a small group of men have gathered around a fallen figure - on second look, it is the robed man, his sign now in the hands of one of the men. Now close enough to hear, the man holding the sign yells "Closer Draws The End? Do we need to be reminded of this garbage? The end is here already, mudmutt, thanks to widders* like you." The other men, 3 in total, add in their cruel jeers. One of them suddenly kicks the robed man, causing him to cry out. The other 2 add their kicks, and robed man curls in to a ball, desperate to protect himself.

Suddenly glancing your way, the man still holding the sign fixes his gaze on you. Taking a step towards you, he brandishes the sign and calls out - "Stick your eyes somewhere else, mud. Less you want some too."

*a widder is the gerric word for an intestinal parasite farm animals sometimes get when they eat from bad pastures.

Finnegan Cross

Along with the daylight, the market is drawing to a close. People are scurrying about, making last minute purchases as merchants, artisans, and farmers pack up their unsold wares, tents, and wagons for the day. Considering the overall situation, the market was a good one, reasonably rich in items of all sorts, from decorative trinkets to armor and weapons. The food quality was surprising as well - clearly, the denizens of Mavelstown had figured out somewhere suitable to plant crops. Unfortunately though, there wasn't nearly enough of it. Most of the fresh produce was gone by mid-day, leaving only some sparse grains. A few different times, fights nearly broke out when two people reached for the same bushel of some vegetable or another. Luckily, no weapons were drawn.

Picking your way slowly through the crowd, leading Dutchess, a voice finally rises over the din of the market and reaches your ears. "...with the horse. Excuse me, I'd like to talk for just a moment." Turning, you see short, rather stout man with pale skin and a beautifully colored blue doublet. His round-topped hat matches his shirt, and has a long feather stuck jauntily in the band. Overall, his appearance is slightly out of place.

"Please forgive me for perhaps wasting your time, but I think I might recognize you - by 3rd party description that is. You see, I spoke to another merchant just today who had arrived in our town not but a few days ago, and he told me of the most extraordinary man that he traveled with. A man that could find almost anything, a man that very closely matches your appearance...." The man speaks very fast, but pauses here to give you an appraising look. "....If this sounds like you, I'd love to have a sit down and talk a little business."

Toliudar
2013-03-04, 12:03 AM
Kel
Kel had seen enough of this kind of violence born of fear and mistrust. People stealing from the stores because they were afraid that others would steal first. Arguments about an impossible situation would boil over into fistfights. Kel's wife had had the knack for a quickly turned phrase, a light word that found humour in the darkest situation. If Kel had ever had that gift, it was long gone.

Instead, what he had was a broad back and a decent snarl. Neither of which had been particularly useful against the dead, but might have some influence here.

"Mud?"

Slowly, deliberately, Kel slid his shield off of his back and settled it on his arm. With a shrug and a lifted hand, Kel swung his axe free, holding it in a deliberate mirror of the sign held by the other man.

"Bud, you have a fever of the blood, and you're talking crazy. C'mere, and let me spill a little out of you."

He began walking toward the man with the sign. He glanced over at the others still menacing the doomsayer, but is clearly intent on the mouthy one. Always. Always start with the mouthy one.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-04, 07:17 AM
Len Hawke

Without verbally responding, the man tips his drink slightly in thanks and sits down opposite you. Pausing to take a sip, he then sets it down, folds his arms and leaning forward to rest his elbows on the table. "My name is Tomra, and I pride myself in recognizing most of the inhabitants of this city, but you, I don't know. I guess that means you've just arrived. A city like this can be harsh to newcomers, and I thought you might need a friend. I could show you around, if you like." He smiles then, and takes another sip of his drink. His eyes never leave yours.

Kel Denom

The man with the sign gives you a once over, his eyes lingering on your heavy ax and large shield. Tossing the sign in to the waste along the street, he draws a short sword you hadn't seen before. Despite this display of aggression, he can't seem to help but take a slight step away from you. He calls over his shoulder and the other 3 men walk away from the fallen man and gather around the leader. Two clubs appear, along with a dagger.

"Walk away, mud" the leader says. "Don't you know who we are? We own this street. One swing of that ax and it'll be swarmed. You'll get chopped up and fed to the Worminns."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-04, 09:21 AM
Finnegan Cross: Finnegan pauses at the new man's request, stopping to make sure his camouflage netting is properly obscuring the goods up on his cart and taking a moment to look about for anything suspicious, either in the man's manner or in the surrounding area.

Skill checks
Sense motive [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Knowledge (local) to see if I recognize this fellow (using lore) [roll2]

"It might be me you've heard of," admits Finnegan, slowly leading Dutchess back home, "I've got some keen eyes and common sense when it comes to finding things. If you don't mind, though, I'm making it a habit to return home with the sun until things calm down around here. If you have a job that needs doing, though, you're free to tell me all about it on the way." With this, Finnegan slowly continues walking home with Dutchess, keeping an eye on this new fellow.

OOC: Finnegan is wandering about aimlessly until he finds a tavern that seems to have a stable.

Toliudar
2013-03-04, 11:39 AM
Kel

Kel grunted and feigned a look around the street.

"You own this street? Bud, you are lousy, lousy landlords."

He lowers the axe into what looks like an ungainly position, but which prepares him for a special two-stroke that Kel has used against pairs of the dead to good effect. He maintains his pace towards the quartet of bullies. At the last moment, he breaks to one side, bringing the axe down on one of the club-wielding mouth-breathers, then follows up with a sideways cut at the mouthy one.

Swift action: enter Punishing Stance. AC drops to 20.

Move action: close to melee distance.

Standard action: activate Steel Wind maneuver. Make two melee strikes against different foes:
Attack 1: [roll0] Base damage: [roll1]. Punishing Stance: [roll2]
Attack 2: [roll3] Base damage: [roll4]. Punishing Stance: [roll5]

When what you have is a hammer...

limejuicepowder
2013-03-04, 07:11 PM
Finnegan Cross

As you take your measure of the garishly dressed man before you, he keeps his eyes steadily locked on to yours. You don't notice anything in particular that says danger about him, but he is definitely looking at you in the same way you're looking at him.

Based on his little speech, you don't think he's telling outright lies, but something still seems slightly off: perhaps he has ulterior motives, or isn't quite telling the whole truth. Or maybe he's just an anxious person (though that seems unlikely, if he's as successful a merchant as his clothes suggest).

In any case, you definitely don't recognize the man, nor have you heard of anyone fitting his description.

The man follows in your slow wake, jabbering on. "At what establishment will you be staying? I really do want to talk to you, but I fear I don't trust my hired help to finish putting away my wares properly unsupervised. Could I perhaps meet you for dinner?"

Not really pausing you let you answer his question, he charges right in to the next sentence: "Alternatively, I invite you to stay at my residence for the night. It's not large, though I do have a guestroom and stable enough for your horse and wagon. This way we can be sure to converse in private."

Kel Denom

The men were clearly not expecting you to just charge, as neither of them even manage to lift their weapons in defense. Your ax cleaves them both cleanly, and both fall to the ground with deep chest wounds. The man that had been holding the sign manages a small cry as he hits the ground, though after that he only gasps, already going in to shock.

The two other man jump back in astonishment, staring stupidly as their companions lay dying. The one with the club starts to raise his weapon, but the other screams "Run!" Thinking better of it, the club-wielder turns to follow his fleeing friend.

You can take an AoO against either one of the fleeing men, as they are not withdrawing - just running in panic.

Toliudar
2013-03-04, 07:26 PM
Kel

Watching the two men flee, Kel reflected that years spent alone and hacking at anything else that moved may not have been the best preparation for him to integrate into life in the city. He makes no move against either of the men who chose to flee.

"Crap."

Instead, he bent over the non-mouthy one. Tearing off the man's own shirt, he inexpertly wrapped it tightly around his torso, then pushed the fallen thug's own hands down on it, hoping that this rough first aid would help in staunching the flow of blood. Finally, he glanced up at the doomsayer.

"Hey, bud. Know how to stop bleeding?"

Tee hee. I normally play casters. But there is a brutal clarity to the melee types that can be hilarious.

Untrained heal check to stabilize the guy: [roll0]

limejuicepowder
2013-03-04, 11:02 PM
Kel Denom

Unfortunately, the man whose blood you are attempting to staunch seems to be unconscious, and is non-responsive when you bring his hands to his chest. Even more unfortunately, the make-shift bandage does little to slow the flow, and the ground is quickly darkening.

Even before you spoke to him, the robed man was already stirring in the dirt. He manages to look towards you, and you can see that bruises are starting to form. His mouth and nose are bleeding freely. "Fire," he chokes out. "Must....burn...."

Len Hawke

Tomra gives a short and jovial laugh, "Wonderful!" he exclaims. "I suppose I should start with the basics - the current political leader is a man named Berithor Mear - a real pig of a man. Calls himself "King" because he leads what may be the last bit of humanity in the world." Laughing again, though this time it sounds more like a bark, he says "Can you tell I don't like him? Watch your step when his cronies are around, they'll take any opportunity to squeeze a man."

Tomra pauses to take another sip of his drink. "Perhaps fortunately for the rest of us though, Berry doesn't wield as much power as he'd like to think he does. Due mostly to his excellent leadership, the gangs are the real power on the streets. Almost every bit of the city is the territory of one group or another. The street we're on right now, Seven St, is the turf of the Filis Fiends - group of thugs of mostly original Mavelstown folk. They blame everyone who's come here since the uprising for the current situation - think if they'd been left alone they would be fine." Tomra pauses again to roll his eyes and to take another sip, then continues.

"I know it's getting late but do you fancy a walk? Don't worry about roughians, I know what streets to avoid...might want to walk quickly until we get off Seven St though."

First person is totally fine - whatever is most comfortable for you.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-04, 11:19 PM
Finnegan Cross:
With his lack of success to far, Finnegan silently curses at the merchant's first question as he silently admits to himself that he'll probably have to sleep outside tonight... unless he accepts this generous offer. Even so, something doesn't seem quite right here. Considering the options Finnegan isn't sure that he likes the odds. At best, he was being asked to do something foolhardy. At worst, this "merchant" was just another thief. Even so, the promise of a bit more scratch was hard to resist...

"Busy man, I understand. Tell me what you need, where you need it, your offer, and any special instructions you've got. I really can't make it much easier for you, friend. If you're still scared of a few street waifs overhearing us, I'm afraid that I'm not your man. We can't exactly move on if we lose our reputations, right?"

Toliudar
2013-03-04, 11:48 PM
Kel

The big man arched an eyebrow at the doomsayer. Great. Risked his life for a genuine nutter. Kel shook his head and turned his attention back to the unconscious man. He applied pressure to the wound himself, feeling the wet warmth of the man's blood seeping up between his fingers.

"Crap."

Kel glanced up to note where the two sensible ones were running to. If that horde filling the street were to come from somewhere, it would be wherever they went to ground. Best to know what doorway to keep a special eye on.

Second heal check:
Trying to stabilize the same guy: [roll0]

Edit: hilarious.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-05, 12:27 AM
Finnegan Cross

The man gives you a long look - long enough to be bordering on rude. Finally he smiles, and titters. "Very well. Though I do hope your memory is good, as the instructions are somewhat lengthy. Simply put, I need some plants collected. This will require traveling outside of the city walls, though not terribly far."

"The first plant is a weed that grows near rivers, called Bertella. It is never more than a few inches tall, and it's almond-shaped leaves are arranged in groups of 5. A healthy specimen has a thin black line running on the underside of each leaf. I hear there is a good place for Bertella due north of here, about 3 miles."

"The second is the flower of a small red vine that grows up the trunks of trees, called Night Lady. The vine favors cherry trees. The tricky part of harvesting the flower is that it is only in bloom for a few hours right before the sun sets. I only have use of a fully bloomed flower."

"To facilitate getting in and out of the city, you are going to need a permit from the Eternal Guild. They are a group of Awakened who work closely with the guard. The permit doesn't cost anything, but you need to give them a good enough reason to warrant the trip - I recommend you say you are on official business for the Neitro Trade Company, as it is a merchant's guild I am a member of. Alternatively, you can leave without the permit but you are going to have a much more difficult time getting back in. The guild station to procure a permit is on Jacobs' Street."

"In recognition of the danger you will be putting yourself in, I will pay 30 gp for each healthy Bertella plant you bring back, and 55 gp for each Night Lady flower. Does this sound like something you can handle?"

You may make craft (alchemy) and/or knowledge (nature) checks to find out more about Bertella and Night Lady. Make a check for each plant.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-05, 07:31 AM
Kel Denom

Despite your best efforts, the man's blood continues to make its escape on to the dirty street. He is still unconscious, but he begins to gasp, his breath hitching in his throat. A small trickle of blood leaks out of the corner of his mouth.

The dying man's two brave friends have just charged in to a large wooden structure at the very end of the street, approximately 200 ft away on the right. There is a sign above the door, though you can't quite make out the faded text. Below the text there is a picture of what you think is a pile of stones with a pickax resting across them.

Catching your attention again, the robed man begins to drag himself towards you. "Burn...the bodies!" he whispers laboriously.

Len Hawke

"Wonderful!" Tomra exclaims again. As he stands he finishes the last gulp of his drink and slams the clay cup back on the table. Waving a goodnight to the barkeep, he walks out the door.

As you step outside in to the evening, Tomra waves an arm to the left - "Well clearly that's the wall, so we'll head right." Talking and walking, Tomra says "On the other side of these buildings is Nimal Lane, the main thoroughfare of the city. If you follow that it'll take you to the central market, eventually. If you then head up the hill to the left from the market, you'll get to the mining district. In the process of the making Mavelstown a self-contained city, walls were built to enclose the whole place - the mines are now within the walls. The important part to remember about the mines though is the two groups that run 'em - The Stone Golems and the Premasons. They get along well enough, despite a bit of a rivalry, but hardly a day goes by that one of em doesn't have some kind of trouble with Berry's men. The Golems and Masons were formed to protect the miners and Berry doesn't like that very much. If you feel like a trip to the mining district, mind you don't upset -"

Tomra suddenly stops mid sentence. You have just reach the crest of the gentle hill and can see the rest of the way down Seven St. Though it's hard to tell in the darkening evening, it looks like there are several men lying in the street, and one man kneeling next to one of the fallen man, pressing on his chest. A light gust of wind brings the sweet smell of blood to your nose. "Told you this street is a little rough..."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-05, 09:07 AM
Finnegan Cross:
Craft (Alchemy) (Bartella) [roll0]
Knowledge (Nature (Bartella, using Lore) [roll1]
Craft (Alchemy) (Night Lady) [roll2]
Knowledge (Nature (Night Lady, using Lore) [roll3]

Toliudar
2013-03-05, 11:17 AM
Kel Denom

"Hey, bud! They ain't bodies till they're dead."

Kel returned to his efforts to staunch the man's bleeding. And then realizes that there was neither heartbeat nor breath rattling in the chest below his hand.

"Oh."

Shaking his head, Kel turns his attention to the mouthy one. The partially soaked shirt would have to do. Tearing it off of the now-dead man, Kel lurches over to where the talker fell, and leaned close to listen for some breathing.

"Right. How do you tie this again? Crap."

He looked over at the doomsayer and nodded in the direction of the now-dead thug.

"Um. So, yeah. That one's dead all right. My hands are kind of full right now. You want to burn him?"

Heal checks until either the second guy stabilizes, or I kill him, I guess: [roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3] [roll4] [roll5].

limejuicepowder
2013-03-05, 01:18 PM
Finnegan Cross

Both items are useful for wound treatment, if processed correctly. Night Lady is actually mildly poisonous in its natural state. Many healing salves contain one or both plants.

Kel Denom

You somehow get the bleeding to stop, though he is in very bad shape. You know that if he doesn't get medical attention extremely soon, it won't matter.

The religious man's head seems to be clearing slightly, and he manages to push himself to his knees. Still panting in pain, he says "Bring them both to the church. We can deal with them there."

Len Hawke

As you dash towards the fallen figures, you can hear Tomra hot on your heels. One of the men that was lying on the ground seems to be alright, and slowly gets up to his knees. The other two are sporting massive wounds in their chests; a 4th man is tending to wounds. He appears unhurt.

You were about 90 feet from the scene when Tomra saw them

Toliudar
2013-03-05, 02:52 PM
Kel Denom

Kel was initially dismayed to see the flow of blood from the talker's wounds diminish to a drip, fearing that he'd killed him too. But he noted the ragged rise and fall of the man's chest, and took some heart.

Kel quickly wiped his hands on the talker's pants, and rose smoothly to help the battered prophet-ish guy to his feet. At which point Kel realized that he was still holding his shield. Dammit. Hastily, he slung his shield back onto his back, and grabbed his axe from where he'd dropped it in the street. Careless careless careless. Disarming himself when there was every prospect of a horde of, well not the dead but the pissed off, coming out of that mining supply warehouse.

With a grunt, Kel slid a hand under the talker's neck and then grabbed his belt. With a smooth motion, he popped the man up onto his shoulders, hoping that he wasn't tearing everything open again. Squatting awkwardly, he grabbed the dead guy's collar and started dragging him along behind, staggering towards the church.

"So that is a church. You a priest, then?"

Hey, who knew? It looks like you CAN carry two people if you have an 18 strength.

In Kel's experience, how quickly does a dead person animate after they die? Should he expect to have seconds, minutes, hours, days?

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-05, 04:41 PM
Finnegan Cross: Finnegan's face lightens as he remembers where he's heard of those herbs before. Suddenly, this well-dressed man seemed like a whole lot less of a threat. Even if this fellow wanted to corner the market on these herbs, just having them in town should do a fair share of good. Allowing himself a small smile, Finnegan dips his head apologetically to the merchant. "Sorry about the rudeness. I'm always jumping at shadows 'round this time. If you want those herbs, you've got them. Hell, you can knock 5 gold off the price of each. Just let me know where I should take them."

limejuicepowder
2013-03-06, 07:14 AM
Kel and Len

OOC

How do I write this with two PC's and characters that one knows and the other doesn't? And the PC's don't know each other?

Len your actions are slightly late - Kel was already carrying the bodies by the time you get there, so you're going to have to ask Kel if you'd still like to check them. I'll give you a chance to change your post, if you'd like. Kel, if you don't mind holding off on another post until Len goes that'd be good.

Kel: Just as you begin carrying and dragging bodies towards the stone building, two men arrive on the scene. One is tall, wearing baggy clothing, and the other in an Awakened.

The tall man takes a quick measure of the scene, and says to you "Judging by your ax, you did this?" Letting out a long blow of air, he continues. "The main hideout of the Fiends are right down the street, they're going to be back any second...If I were you, friend, I'd lose myself somewhere."

A dead body will arise at some point over the next day or so. It could take hours or it could take minutes - there isn't any pattern to it.

Finnegan Cross

The man's face also breaks in to a smile, and he claps his hands excitedly. "Most excellent indeed. You can find me in this very market most weekdays, I think that shall be the best way to contact me. When can I expect the first delivery?"

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-06, 09:17 AM
Finnegan Cross:"2 to 3 days, I'd say" responds Finnegan after a bit of thought. "Should take two to prepare and retrieve but you never know how complicated those corpses are willing to make things. I'll see you then, friend."

With that, unless the merchant intends to continue this chat, Finnegan continues his wandering through the streets until he finds somewhere he might be able to take shelter. Tired and no longer too picky, he will settle for anywhere whether an abandoned home, a church, an inn, or a refugee camp.

Toliudar
2013-03-06, 08:09 PM
Len & Kel

At the sound of approaching footsteps, the big man tenses and turns, but does not put down the man across his shoulders. There are still traces of blood on his hands, but anyone picking the men up would have those. He hunkers down slightly, clearly nervous at the men's approach. The tall man's question causes him to hesitate slightly, but then he turns to continue his process of carrying one man and dragging the other towards what looks like an abandoned church.

"Yeah. If I knew where a safe place was, I wouldn't be here. Look, these guys an' two more were kicking the siht out of this feller. Seemed like a a** thing to do, so I stepped in. Bit too hard, as it turns out. I'm just taking em in where they can rest and Father Doomngloom here can take a look at em."

His progress towards the two-story church is slow but determined.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-06, 11:19 PM
Finnegan Cross

The merchant nods one more thanks to you as he turns and walks away. You slowly pick your way through the bustle of the closing market and on to the large and open Nimal Lane. Though it takes a little bit of time, you finally find a decent place that can house a horse and wagon. It's called the Silver Vein, and it costs 1 silver for a room and 2 copper for the horse and wagon - food is extra. The main tavern is quite crowded, and you even spot a couple of Awakened.

The room itself is spacious and clean, with a shuttered opening serving as a window that looks out on to the street. All told, it is a very comfortable place to stay.

Len and Kel

The tall man quick steps to Kel and grabs the man being dragged. He doesn't have nearly the strength of Kel though, and struggles to get the man off the ground. "Sir Hawke, would you be so kind as to assist me?" he says as he labors. Then he speaks to Kel - "My name is Tomra, by the way. I'd offer my hand but both yours and mine seem to be busy."

The robed man, limping, says "Quickly now. Their friends will be coming." As he walks he keeps glancing down the street to where the 2 other fleeing men went.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-07, 12:02 AM
Finnegan Cross:Exhausted at the end of a long day, Finnegan can't help but marvel at his good fortune for finding a place to stay. He's had a lot to marvel at in the past days. With things going the way they have, Finnegan had been expecting (or fearing) far worse than what he's seen so far. One more triumph for human resilience.

Handing 2 gold coins to the inkeeper, Finnegan secures room for him and his mount for the next week, something to eat for dinner, and a round or two of ale for the house. Upon announcing the drinks to the house, however, he is sure to follow up, "...Course, I can afford a few drinks right now. Just got me a job beyond the town wall. A good-payin' one, too. If any of ya are up for a day of hikin' and pickin' pansies or if ya know someone else who ain't afraid of them mad rotters, I'll be eatin' down here for a bit."

I have no idea if any form of skill check is needed down here but just in case:
Diplomacy: [roll0]
Gather Information: [roll1]

Toliudar
2013-03-07, 01:13 AM
Len & Kel

Kel turns and releases his grip on the man he is dragging. From the pallor and the way in which the remains crumple, it's fairly clear that the man is not just unconscious, but dead.

"Kel. Thanks for the hand."

He grunts in acknowledgment of the robed man's words. Now that Kel is only carrying one person, he's able to pick up his pace significantly.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-07, 02:19 PM
Finnegan Cross

After your pronouncement, the bar stay quiet for a few seconds. Then someone calls "Since you're probably not coming back, can we have a second round?" The room roars in laughter.

A few minutes later though, the barmaid stops next to you. She's a short girl, with healthy curves, rosy checks and wonderfully curly auburn hair. No doubt she's at least part of a the reason this place is so crowded - more than a few of the patrons have tried to to talk to her. She leans over to you and whispers "I know someone who could be interested. I'm busy now, but I might have a moment when we close around 1." Without waiting for a response, she continues her duties.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, are you actively looking for a partner? If so, you can keep your gather info check to talk up some patrons. Or you can just wait to talk to the barmaid - I kind of applied it there.

Kel and Len

Stumble-walking to get in front of the people carrying bodies, the robed man gets to the door of the church. Fortunately, it looks like a very well-made door, with heavy wooden beams and iron cross-brackets. The man groans slightly as he forces the door open, and ushers everyone inside. Just as you are crossing the thresh hold, you all hear a bang from down the street, along with many raised voices. The cavalry is on their way.

As soon as you are all in, the robed man closes the door again, and lowers a large wooden beam to seal it shut.

Looking around, you see the entrance room is just a landing, with stairs immediately to the left of the door going up and a parallel set of stairs going down.

Turning to face the group, the man says "Please, wait here. I will find the head of our order. He will tell us what to do." He then goes up the stairs to the left as fast as his injuries will allow.

Tomra sets the body down on the stone floor. "We might be in it now. If the man in charge decides to protect his church by kicking us out the door, that mob is going to tear us to pieces."

Toliudar
2013-03-07, 02:47 PM
Len and Kel

Kel seems remarkably unperturbed for someone who has just inadvertantly killed a man and is now being pursued by a mob.

"Wouldn't be the first mob I faced. First one that was breathing, mind."

He glanced nervously over at Len and his bird.

"Uh. No offense. I'm still getting used to the idea of, um, chatting with you people."

Setting the still-breathing man down on a bench, Kel confirmed that the move hadn't started the bleeding again. He could think of nothing else to do for the lippy bastard, so simply stood up and wiped the rest of the blood from his hands onto already-grimy pants.

"It was, uh, nice a you two to come running. It don't seem like most people here are helpful like that."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-07, 03:39 PM
Finnegan Cross: Finnegan shrugs when he hears the request. "Your free to drink the gold I paid in any way ya choose, friends." Later, upon hearing the barmaid's idea, Finnegan nods in appreciation with a broad smile, handing her another gold. "Looks like I'll be down here longer than I thought, men. Another Round!"

Technically, Finnegan as a character is looking for a partner. Out of character, I'm on the search for my fellow party members, though I'm willing to work harder for it than "rely on chance" if needed

limejuicepowder
2013-03-07, 10:45 PM
Finnegan Cross

As the night wears on, you make a slow round of the room, chatting to different patrons. For a tediously long time, you only get wise cracks of dubious levels of wisdom - most of are the morbid, you're-going-to-get-yourself-killed variety.

Just when you're about to give up and wait to speak to the barmaid, you get two good leads, both from the same man: Sum Zero, and The Eternal Guild. If memory serves, you don't remember seeing this man earlier in the night, and he definitely wasn't as drunk as most of the other patrons. Probably why you got some decent information out of him.

He explains that The Eternal Guild will sometimes hire out for the right price - the right high price, that isn't usually money. If a person is really expecting serious trouble though, they are second to none.

Much more reasonable, especially for a small job, is Sum Zero. They are a small group of mercenaries that will do just about anything, as long as it isn't politically related. There's a fair amount of Tainted among their number, which makes them a good cut above basic goons. Their headquarters are a ways down on Copperston St, which connects to the market area.

Refreshed after getting some good leads, the rest of the night passes quickly and uneventfully. The last patron who isn't staying at the inn stumbles their way out the door, and the room is quiet except for the crackling fire and the 2 barkeeps and barmaid cleaning up. The barmaid makes a show of cleaning the table you're sitting at and whispers to you "I'll be done with this in about 15 minutes. Meet me in front of the stable."

Roughly 15 minutes later, you are breathing in the sweet aroma of animal and watching the short barmaid walk towards you. Due to her heavy cloak and the night, you wouldn't have recognized her if she pulled her hood up.

"It's getting late so I'd like to make this quick: I have a friend who might be interested, if the money is right. What's the job, how long will it last, and how much will you pay?"

OOC

I hope you don't mind me skipping ahead to the meeting with the barmaid. I felt it's worth it to keep things moving, though I'd be happy to allow you to do something different.

Kel and Len

Tomra steps forward to help Len search the body, but as he does so he says "I'd be very surprised if either of these louts are modified. They are members of the Filis Fiends, which means they are some of the most ignorant, superstitious, and mistrustful dedeontus* in the city." Tomra proves to be right, and there is no sign of surgery on either man.

*For those who speak salathi

dedeontus most specifically refers to someone who refuses to accept help when pulling in a heavy line and ends up hurting themselves; in this context, Tomra is saying they are bull-headed, or stubborn.

As this goes on, you can all hear shouts from outside, though you can only make out snatches of words - like "kill," and "burn it."

A few seconds later though, the sounds of several sets of footsteps on stone cover up the noise from outside. 5 men, all dressed in the same type of robes the man Kel rescued was wearing, come down the stairs and on to the landing. The oldest among them, a slightly stooped elderly man with pale skin and large bags under his eyes, speaks - "Motrus has told me what happened. I'd like to thank you on behalf of the Blood of the Sun congregation for looking out for one of our own. I fear though that you have gone too far. We can hide you in our walls, but I doubt these men will be sated by anything less than your blood running in the street next to their companions."

Tomra turns to both of you and motions you closer. He whispers "If we can get out of this church, I have friends that can hide us until this blows over. Personally, I like that plan more than hiding in this church and hoping the Fiends don't tear the whole thing down around us."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-07, 11:26 PM
Finnegan CrossDespite the amount of less-than-optimistic words of wisdom around him, Finnegan finds himself thankful for the food and for the more useful advice of the newcomer.

Standing in the stables, Finnegan finds himself pondering this new, mysterious offer. "As I've said, the task is nothing more than hiking and herb collection, likely no more than three to five miles from town. Mostly stuff useful for cure-alls, stuff this town needs. Should last no more than a day at most. The lowest price going for what I'm after is 25 gold a pop. For a good man, I'd be willing to split it down middle. If you know someone of particular talent, I'd give them the whole first fifty in profits."

Toliudar
2013-03-08, 01:11 PM
Len and Kel

The sound of the crowd gathering outside focuses Kel's attention. Methodically, he pulls his shield back on. Unbuttoning his jacket, he reveals a makeshift bandolier holding six smaller axes.

"Jail? You still got enough room an' food here to lock people up? Lucky you. And innocent civilians? That'd be nice too."

He tries to get a sense, from the noise levels and individual voices, of how many people are actually out there.

"Gotta wonder how loyal these coyotes will really be. Everybody wants to be part of a crowd, but nobody wants to be the part at the front. You know? So."

He turns to the priest who had addressed them.

"You got a window or something in this place? I hid from a lotta dead, but damned if I'm gonna hide from some cornnal* with sticks."

* Gerric for a prepubescent boy.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-08, 05:40 PM
Finnegan Cross

"Huh." she says, mulling it over for a moment. "Easy gold is always welcome...I'll pass the news on to my friend and see what they say. You'll be staying at the Silver Vein for a few more nights? I'll bring back an answer tomorrow night." With that, she turns and walks in to the night.

Kel and Len

The head priest seems at a loss for words, and doesn't reply. The group with him whispers to each other furiously. Tomra on the other hand has easily thought of some words to say: "Are you two completely off your nut, or are you secretly members of the Nether Gaurd?! By the sound of it there's got to be 20 men out there." He paces across the small landing in agitation, and continues - "Even if you succeed, there's only so much my, ah, friends, can cover up. Butchering a crowd, even in self-defense, is going to get you exiled, or just executed."

Toliudar
2013-03-08, 06:52 PM
Len and Kel

Kel shrugged.

"Is it butchering if they attack us? You'd rather we hide in your cellar till they break the door down and mow you down first? Pffft. No. What I'd rather do is aim a couple of shots to the knees of the loudest ones there, and make the other ones think that this is a really stupid place to be."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-08, 07:17 PM
Finnegan Cross: Happy to get back inside and out of the cold evening air, he returns to his room and starts planning out the next day until the moment he falls asleep.

OOC:Wake me up when something would disturb Finnegan or when tomorrow arrives.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-09, 08:11 PM
Kel and Len

Tomra stares Len down, his eyes suddenly hard. "If we make it known that we left - perhaps by letting ourselves be seen once we're at a safe distance - the crowd should chase us. Give them the slip, and then I contact the right people to make this go away. Remember that as far as they know it's only the man with the ax they want; we're not involved...yet."

When Tomra stops talking, the church elder speaks up in his creaky old man voice. "If any of you have the power to make them leave us alone, we would be most grateful. There is a back door that opens on to Goldrun Street. Whatever course of action you take, I beg you to not bring any wraith down upon us."

OOC

Loved your "everyone likes to be in a crowd" line, Tol. It reminds me Rooster Cogburn's line in True Grit.

Finnegan Cross

For the first time in a long while, you sleep uninterrupted and in a comfortable bed. Once you are finished making yourself ready for the day, you head downstairs for some breakfast. There are definitely more people in the main tavern than there are spending the night; clearly, the Silver Vein is a popular breakfast place as well. You do not see the barmaid.

Sorry for the short post. Basically, I'm waiting to see what you're going to do with the leads :smallsmile:

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-10, 01:56 AM
Finnegan Cross:Having saved this day specifically for preparations, Finnegan wastes no time in heading out of the inn. His general plan for the day, if uninterrupted, goes something like this:

Check on his inventory with Duchess just in case. Finnegan leaves the cart near the horse and most of the cart is covered but it never hurts to check.
Head out onto the town and spend some time scrounging (refueling always prepared just to be on the safe side) and eating the rough equivalent of trail rations found in this way (likely street meat or something similar) as a hasty breakfast.
While out and about, try to get a map both of the town and the surrounding area, preferably from a source that looks somewhat reputable (purchasing if within my means as items gained through always prepared don't last for too long before becoming unusable). If necessary, Gather Information check [roll0].
Try to get permission to leave the town as advised by the merchant, making reference to working for the merchant's guild and avoiding any mention of needing assistance from them at the moment.
Try to find a healer or herbalist within the town (Gather Information [roll1], Knowledge (local) [roll2]) to see if they can tell me A) where Cherry trees would be growing in the area and B) learn if the full bloom of the Night's Lady is particularly venomous (while the merchant seems to be on the straight and narrow, the horrid thought of accidentally poisoning the town still bugs Finnegan to some small degree).
Try to come into contact with Zero Sum (Gather Information [roll3], Knowledge (Local) [roll4]) to see A) if they might have some of those tainted healers or fleshwelders or whatever they call 'em in Mavelstown on hire and B) what a one-day trip beyond the walls would cost with a man, hazard pay included.
Finally head back to the tavern, spend another gold on drinks and food, and wait until the barmaid is willing to talk about her friend.

Feel free to stop me at each or any of these stops if something extraordinary is happening around Finnegan or if you want to play out these preparations to a greater extent (especially if complications come up).

OOC: Although it might be a bit of a delay, I'm perfectly fine waiting until the others complete the actions of tonight before any of this occurs to avoid ending up on different dates unless I started the campaign a day earlier and have essentially just caught up right now.

Toliudar
2013-03-10, 08:55 AM
Kel and Len

It's a fun and flavourful way to start us off, Limejuicepowder. Thanks for this!

Kel shrugs.

"Look, Tomra here is right - it's just me they want. I don't wanna get any of you killed. Maybe I can make em see reason, or leastwise spill enough guts that they back off. So...again, you got a second story window in this place?"

limejuicepowder
2013-03-10, 10:32 AM
Finnegan Cross

The beginning of your day passes without incident; Duchess is munching away on her breakfast when you arrive, and the wagon is as you left it last night. You don't find much of interest until you turn off of Nimal Lane - you get the feeling that Nimal Lane is the single line of true civilization, with a decaying mockery of it built on either side.

You do manage to find a street vendor with some food while on Ferrous St, and it's nothing near the quality of what you could be eating back at the Silver Vein - this is just a large flat piece of bread wrapped around a thick stew of what you suspect is rat meat. Still, it's not the worst you've ever had, and it can be eaten with one hand.

A map proves to be somewhat difficult to come by for some reason. It's probably because of the lack of incoming visitors; if everyone who's in the city lives here, maps are not really necessary. Still though, you eventually find a very basic drawing of the city and surrounding land.

Map

Mavelstown is located between the peaks of two mountains; technically it's in a valley, but because of the size of the mountains and the proximity to one another, the valley is still higher than most of the surrounding land. The western mountain is labeled "Beartrus" and the eastern "Merich." You recognize the names from an old fairy tale about two warrior brothers.

The valley extends some 5 or so miles past the north edge of the city where the 2 flanking mountains come together - the valley is essentially nearly a complete oval shape of roughly 6 miles long and 2 miles wide at the widest point.

The southern opening to the valley is much narrower, no more than 1/4 of a mile. Between the surrounding mountains and the additional human-built walls, Mavelstown is truly in an excellent defensive position.

The city itself in the southern most part of the valley. The largest wall has been built to close the entrance to the valley. Nimal Lane is one of the few streets labeled on the map; it runs from the main gate directly north to the center market, where it turns slightly to the west and connects to the north gate. Unfortunately, no other streets are drawn on the map, though it is broken up in to districts.

The shape of the city, like the valley, is roughly oval, though it's lying perpendicularly to it. It would be entirely oval except for an ameba-like arm that stretches out and runs along the western wall of the valley for some ways. This is labeled Mining Town.

Below Mining Town is the Artisan District. To the east of that is High Town, and to the east of that is the Trade District, which contains the market circle. Squeezing itself between the Trade District and Merich Mountain is Low Town. There is also a long and narrow swath of the city running to the south of each of the districts that is unlabeled.

Sorry for the wordy explanation of a map. Do you know of any simple programs or tools I could use to draw maps? It would make this a lot more clear, I think

You easily find the Eternal Guild, as the merchant told you what street it was on. Their building is quite large, the ground floor made of stone and the 2nd and 3rd of wood. The unmistakable smell of undead clings to the very walls. There is one main door guarded by enormous (human) guards - though they don't give you a second look when you enter. The first room is a lobby-like room, with several doors and a desk with an Awakaned behind it. You think he might be bored, though it's sometimes hard to tell with undead. He directs you through another door that is labeled "Permits" in small letters. There, you have no problem getting a 2-day pass to return to the city; though the clerk (this one a human) gives you a rather sideways look when you tell him your business.

Sum Zero takes a bit longer to find, though nothing you can't handle. Their spokesperson, a man by the name of Mald, is personable and animated - a good salesman. He says that since your trip is north of the city, the danger is much less than if you were going south. Though some undead have made their way in to the valley from hidden paths through the mountains, it's not nearly as teeming with undead as the southern lowlands are.

Basic rates for what is essentially an escort job in to hazardous territory are as follows -
3gp/day/man for what Mald calls "traditional mercenaries"
4gp/day/man for a field medic. Hiring a medic reduces the base rate of traditional mercenaries to 2gp/day/man.
6gp/day/man for Tainted
10gp/day/man for Zero-Fold, a small group of exceptionally skilled humans and Tainted.

Lastly, you find an apothecary to ask about Night Lady. The elderly owner informs you that Night Lady is not exceptionally poisonous; if someone were to eat the plant they would probably just get sick. Even if the plant was processed and the poison concentrated, it would be unlikely to kill a healthy person. He also says he hasn't been out collecting for years on account of his age, but when he used to go out there was a decent place to get Night Lady in the northeast part of the valley, along the base of Merich Mountain.

Finally done with your tasks, you head back to the Silver Vein.

I was originally concerned with the time differences between what is now two groups, but I decided it would be better to "sweep that under the rug" in favor of keeping things moving. I'd hate for you to not have an update for what could be several days, depending on how things go with them. As long as no one cares exactly what day it is, we'll just keep going at whatever pace gets set by each group. When you meet up, we can retroactively add dates if needed.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-10, 05:25 PM
Kel and Len

The head priest finally answers Kel's question - "Well there is a window overlooking Seven St, but isn't that just going to incite the crowd to attack us? A stone building won't burn so easily, but we live here, what will become of us once you leave?"

After a brief pause, Tomra says "Don't get the wrong idea either; I'm not ready to just run off and leave you to the dogs. I'm just saying that running is a perfectly valid strategy in this case." He stops, and seems to be thinking hard about something. Then he speaks again. "But whatever you decide, I'll do my best to make myself useful. And I'm thinking that decision should be of the quickly made variety."

Thank you Tol, I'm glad you're enjoying it. This is my first PBP as a DM, and so far I like it very much - so thanks to you all too

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-10, 09:17 PM
Finnegan Cross:oocAppreciating everything over on this side as well. You're doing a fine job. :smallwink:

The map description was pretty good. I personally just use MSPaint when I map so I wouldn't know how to do it well.

With the day going as well it has been, Finnegan is more than pleased to spend another gold coin of food and drink before heading out to the stables at around the same time of night, hopefully to meet the barmaid and hear what her "friend" replies.

If the friend is on board, the following are matters of concern that Finnegan possesses about this mysterious friend:
-Is the friend awakened?
-If not, is the friend tainted?
-Does the friend have any special skills useful beyond the walls?
-Does the friend have experience beyond the walls?
-Will there be need to keep mention of this friend discrete (in a town with so many sources of mercenaries, Finnegan can't quite imagine the sort who would need to go freelance)?

If this friend seems willing, Finnegan will tell the barmaid that he'll require the night to think on it (whether or not this "friend" seems up to snuff) and will have an answer in the morning.

Unless the barmaid (and Finnegan will try to get her name this night) keeps him long or demands an immediate answer, Finnegan considers returning back to the inn to think things over but decides against it. Instead, against his better judgment, Finnegan goes on the first nighttime stroll he has been on in nearly a month. Careful to stay within a block or two of Nimal but otherwise keeping to himself, Finnegan is interested to see what the area looks like even as he plans out his trip for tomorrow.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-10, 09:50 PM
Finnegan Cross

By the time you return to the Silver Vein from your daytime tasks, the place is already crowded with customers. It takes but a moment to spot the barmaid hard at work serving the customers at the tables. She gives the slightest look of recognition, but nothing more. A moment later though, she brings you food and drink - and a message, slipped casually in to your hand as she turns to walk away. It simply reads "tonight, same time same place."

For the second evening in a row you find yourself waiting, with not much to do.

Would you like to go for the stroll now, or wait to speak to the barmaid? You have several hours to kill, but my understanding of your post is that you don't go out until after you've spoken.

Toliudar
2013-03-10, 10:52 PM
Len and Kel

Kel shakes his head slowly. He's having so much trouble figuring out how these city folk think.

"Um. That's not what I'm after a window for. I want up onto the roof so I can try to drive em off. I'm no good with a bow like this guy, but I throw okay. Didn't look like they had much more'n knives and clubs - the kind of stuff I've gotten used to dodging from the dead. I'm figurin' to go up to the roof, make it real unpleasant for anyone hanging around the building, and try not to die in the process. If that don't drive em off, I'll jump down and take my chances with them aresholes. Then the rest a you are safe."

He gestured towards the stairwell.

"So...that way, then?"

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-10, 11:41 PM
Finnegan Cross:Put like that, I think I'll have my walk first.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-11, 06:30 AM
Finnegan Cross

Nimal Lane is quite crowded at this time of day. Lots of merchants are still making there way home from the market, and there are a fair amount of shops along the street. There are more than a fair amount of taverns as well, most of them just revving up for the evening crowd. Few are as large as the Silver Vein though.

Walking south, you reach the part of the city where the ground begins to slope downwards. If it wasn't for the slope, you'd be able to see the main gate not more than a few hundred feet away. Turning right on to Ninth, and you notice an immediate difference in scenery. This is clearly a much poorer part of the city. The street hasn't been cleaned or cleared it some days, and the buildings are of poor quality.

A couple of people go jogging past you and turn down Seven St. Now that it's got your attention, you hear what sounds like a large crowd of people - a large angry crowd of people. When you reach the head of Seven St, you see what is better described as a riot of men in front of a large stone building. Several are carrying torches, and most have some sort of weapon - clubs, knives, a few short swords. Additionally, there is a smaller but growing crowd of people watching. The armed men are mightily upset about something, and shout insults and threats to whoever they think is in the stone building.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-11, 01:48 PM
Finnegan Cross:Finnegan, seeing this crowd, is more than a bit curious. Walking up to the back of the crowd, Finnegan tries to question a few in the mob to see what's going on. Gather information [roll0]

Regardless of what he learns, however, Finnegan plans on walking around this stone building, seeing if there are any other entrances that the mob may have missed.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-11, 08:36 PM
Kel and Len

The elder shakes his head in confirmation. "There is a small window facing the street, though you might have to take off your armor to fit through it. Please, be careful."

As you climb the stairs, Tomra follows you. "It might seem crazy for me to attach myself to a man who's in as much trouble as you are, but I get a good feeling off of you. I think we're going to be friends....if we live. I'm not sure how helpful I'm going to be, though. I only carry a dagger most of the time." He then draws the dagger from the folds of his baggy clothes. With only the opportunity to glance at it, you see that it is an old, worn dagger, but the edge glitters dangerously. You can tell by the wear and spots on the metal that it has tasted blood before - though human or animal you can't tell.

The stairs go up a half-flight to another landing where they double back on themselves again, continuing upwards. Once you reach the top, you find yourself in a decently sized space, roughly 20 x 30 feet. It doesn't look like it gets much use, and there are only a couple of crates and barrels long the walls. Judging by the smell, it's a dried food pantry.

There are only two windows, one facing east towards Seven St and one west towards Goldrun St. Each of them is an identical vertical slot of a window, about 3 feet high but only a little over a foot wide. Underneath the Seven St window there is a short gently slanted roof of slate that sticks about 10 feet away from the wall.

Though there is no light source in the room itself, you can see quite well from the flickering flames of the torches outside. The shouts and threats can also be heard, though it is hard to discern exactly what it being said. Looking out the window, you see that most of the gang is gathered in the middle of the street, shouting at the church. Behind them, but still in the street, there is a smaller group of 3 men who look like they are arguing. A small crowd of spectators have also gathered, standing along the edge of your angle of sight. A quick count estimate tells you there are 25 or so men out there calling for blood and fire.

Tomra, looking over your shoulder, says "Whatever we're going to do, we'd better be quick about it. That crowd isn't going to wait long before taking the offensive."

window information

Anyone not wearing armor may go out the window with as a full-round action and an escape artist check vs DC 12; wearing armor will take 2 full rounds and an escape artist check vs DC 15 (one per round). Failure of the check has no penalty; that round just doesn't move you at all. Staying inside the window grants cover.

Finnegan Cross

The first man you tap on the shoulder is dismissive of you, telling you to bother someone else. The next person you ask, an middle-aged woman with sour breath, is more helpful. "That lynchin' crowd are the Filis Fiends, and something has got them all hot an' bothered" she says. "I heard that 2 of their members got attacked and killed by some goon that church hired, then the coward ran in to the church for safety. I never did like the look of those church-men; always walking around with signs saying the end is coming. Unnatural it is."

From your vantage point, you can't actually see the entrance to the church, though you can see that the church isn't a perfect rectangle; there is a square missing from the southeast corner, and you assume the door is on the wall facing south (and away) from you. The buildings on either side are pressed very close to the stone walls of the church; passing through there may not even be possible.

Walking further down Ninth though, you can turn left on to Goldrun St, and see the other side of the building. Goldrun looks much like Seven does; dirty and forlorn. There are a fair amount of people on it though, mostly walking in the opposite direction and drawn by the noise of the crowd on Seven.

This side of the church seems to be a mirror image of the other; there is a square missing from the southwest corner, and another door facing south. This would make the church T shaped, though the vertical portion of the T would be very short relative to the rest of it. The second floor is smaller than the floor below it; it doesn't extend past the width of the shorter southern wall.

Trying the door, you find it locked, though there is a large iron knocker at the center.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-11, 11:31 PM
Finnegan Cross:Shrugging and walking up to the door, Finnegan takes the knocker and gives three short knocks.

Toliudar
2013-03-11, 11:34 PM
Len and Kel

Kel pauses before climbing the stairs, wondering if that nameless awakened archer was joining them. It would have been useful to have bowfire as backup. Ah well. This was how life was going today.

Tomra's words seem sincere, and they genuinely touch Kel.

"That's kind a you to say, sir, and I daresay you're a deft shot with that knife. I don't see much point in you stepping out with me, though. If you don't, then you're in a much better place to slip out unnoticed in the crowd later."

Staring at the narrowness of the windows, Kel swears softly but with some inventiveness in Gerric. He shrugs off his pack and opens it, carefully pulling out a pair of ceramic pots that he sets gingerly on the window ledge.

"Right. No way I'm fitting out of that, but if I wedge the shield in there, it'll make it hard for anyone to get up to us. They're yelling for fire, so figure I'd give em some. Then, some are likely to climb up to the roof, and we can pick em off from in here. It's too tight for them to get in with any speed, and if they don't come up, they'll think that we can just keep hitting them with fire, right? So I'm hoping that a few of em get singed, and everybody gets scared and frustrated. Leastwise, we distract em from trying to bash in the door."

Shrugging, he waits for a moment to see if Tomra has a better idea, and if not, sticks his shield into the window frame.

Hmm. DC 19 escape artist check in armour. Eep. I'm hoping to toss out an alchemist's fire, use his shield to close off all or most of the window area, repeat with more alchemist fire if the crowd doesn't disperse, and then jam in the shield while leaving some open space that he can toss axes out through (and Len can shoot arrows out of, if he joins us).

Yes, there are tons of holes with this plan. But Kel has abysmal social skills, it'll take him 30 seconds to remove his breastplate, and he has a 1% chance of not getting stuck in the window. I don't like those odds. :smallwink: Open to other tactics, of course.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-12, 06:29 AM
Finnegan Cross

Stepping back from the door after knocking, you wait for a moment. Then another moment....and another. No one comes to answer the door, nor can you hear anything from inside. Not surprising, really. They are under siege after all, answering doors wouldn't be high on their to-do list.

Looking around for other options, you notice that the stone wall is not exceptionally well-made, and could be climbed pretty easily. There's even a narrow open window on the 2nd floor.

wall climbing

DC to climb the wall is 18, though if you climb in the corner spot to the right of the door it reduces to 13. Same rules to get through the window that I outlined in Kel and Len's post

Kel and Len

Tomra gives a short giddy laugh and says "No this looks brilliant; fire away. Oh and aim for that group of three men talking behind the main group, they look important."

Make some attack rolls for whoever you're aiming for. Also, putting the shield in the window gives you exceptional cover - +8 AC, +4 ref saves, improved evasion. However, because of the narrow and cramped space you have to throw though, -2 penalty to thrown attack rolls. If you step back from the window slightly, you can throw through it without penalty, though line of sight to the street will be greatly reduced.

Toliudar
2013-03-12, 11:18 AM
Len and Kel

Kel hefts an eyebrow at Tomra. He didn't know much, but he knew when he was being played.

"Uh, thanks. I think I'll start with the closer targets, though."

He rehearses the motion of stepping forward and replacing the shield once, then pulls it out again. Kel hefts a pot of alchemist's fire in his hand. He lofts it out the window, making sure he clears the roof with it, and aims to splatter it on a group of the mob below. Immediately after, he holds the shield up to the window and picks up his second pot.

Ranged touch attack for the alchemist's fire: [roll0]. Damage to anyone in the square where it lands: [roll1]. Splash damage: 1 point of fire in surrounding squares.

Initiative, in case it's relevant: [roll2]
In case this counts as a surprise round and he gets to act again before the crowd can react, Kel will follow up by pulling back the shield and tossing a second pot, ideally at a set of targets 10' away from where the first pot landed. Ranged touch: [roll3]. Damage: [roll4]. If it's possible to replace the shield as a move action in this second action, he'll do that.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-12, 02:50 PM
Finnegan Cross:Seeing no easy way into the building, Finnegan decides to stand back and see what happens. If he was so inclined, there was a chance that he could climb in through the window. Even so, he was unsure if he liked his odds in his armor and his curiosity was not yet so great as to risk life and limb to trap himself in a building with murderers. If and when the inhabitants decided to come out, Finnegan was pretty sure that they'd make their way out of the back one way or the other. Until then, Finnegan stands back and waits.

ooc: I'll watch how this encounter develops before Cross actually acts. I doubt it would take more than a couple of days at most.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-12, 09:03 PM
Kel

The pot of alchemist's fire tumbles through the night air, and though it misses your arbitrarily chosen target, it doesn't matter; the crowd is packed close enough together that it just hits someone else. The pot shatters on impact and the contents ignites, dousing the unlucky man in watery flames. His screams of pain are combined with others; several men around him are splashed as well. The directly struck man throws himself on the ground and rolls, attempting to put out the flames.

Amazingly, in the panic of the attack, no one thinks to look up. Most of them just back quickly away from the man on the ground.

Your second pot has similar results - it misses the man you were aiming for, but hits another a glancing blow on the shoulder. Unfortunately for him, it's still enough to shatter and cover him in fire, and splash several others.

This second attack is enough to cause a full-scale panic; the riot crowd begins to disperse in all directions. Each man's desire to get out of the line of fire is more than his desire to help what should be his friend - both men who took direct hits are left to fend for themselves, rolling in the dirt.

Peeking over the top of your shield, you suddenly see a large man running full tilt towards the downed men; his whips off his coat and swings it over the flames, smothering them instantly. He quickly does the same for the other man. He than stands and looks directly at you.

"ENOUGH!" he screams. "I WANT THE COWARDLY, SPINELESS DEAD-LOVING GUTWORM WHO JUST THREW THOSE POTS TO GET OUT HERE!" continuing is a slightly lower voice, he says "I'm going to tear him apart myself - my men are just going to enjoy the show."

At the edge of your range of vision, you see the crowd return and form a rough half circle around the man and the smoldering bodies still lying in the street. Many of them are laughing at the thought of the violence this new man has proposed.

Tomra whispers in your ear "that's Severmall Filis, the leader of the gang. No matter what you say about the company he keeps, he is a very dangerous man. I've heard he's killed a half dozen men in drunken bar fights alone."

Finnegan Cross

As you stand pondering your next move, you hear the sound of breaking pottery followed immediately by screams of pain and panic from the other side of the church. The noise increases a few seconds later, and few seconds after that you see people begin to run past the top of Goldrun St, heading down Ninth.

Luckily for you, there is a big enough gap between the church and the building to the north to allow passage. As you scramble though the narrow path, watching the sliver of commotion you can see, you hear a terrible voice cut through the night.

"I WANT THE COWARDLY, SPINELESS DEAD-LOVING GUTWORM WHO JUST THREW THOSE POTS TO GET OUT HERE!"

Toliudar
2013-03-12, 11:32 PM
Len and Kel

Angus, sorry if we're moving forward without you. Happy to reintegrate you into the story as you wish.

Kel nods his gratitude to Tomra. He still thought that he was being played, but at least the man was helpful along the way. Kel slid a throwing axe out of his makeshift bandolier, and shouted out the window over the gap left by his shield.

"Big words from a man who hid behind a mob a minute ago! Gimme yer word that there won't be no revenge against these priests for any a this, an' I'll come out."

limejuicepowder
2013-03-13, 06:18 AM
Kel

"Word?" he calls back. "Promises? This is my street, as it was long before these invaders came. You don't walk in to a man's house and tell him how to treat his guests. If the guests don't like the hospitality, they leave!"

He then shouts a command to one of his men, and someone breaks though the crowd carrying an enormous log of a weapon; a club that is at least 4 feet long and dotted with metal studs on the wider end. Severmall grabs the club and gives it a few practice swings. Even from here you can hear the air whoosh in its passing.

Toliudar
2013-03-13, 09:10 AM
Len and Kel

Kel roars down at the man.

"Guests? Guests don't get the siht kicked out of them. Guests aren't threatened by torches and clubs. I want yer promise, or I'll keep tossin' fire down till that dildo a yours is charcoal."

limejuicepowder
2013-03-13, 12:23 PM
Kel

Severmall roars back "That's your weasel choice to make, mud! You'll only have a few moments to sit sniveling in the corner though; one way or another we will fight tonight!"

He then turns slightly to look at his men; just at that moment, 4 men come forward, carrying a battering ram.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-13, 01:38 PM
Finnegan:Finally gathering some small bit of courage after hearing all of that shouting, Finnegan removes a small pebble from his pocket (Always Prepared) and tosses it up at the window, hopefully getting someone's attention.

Toliudar
2013-03-13, 02:35 PM
Len and Kel

"Have it your way, guttersnake! I ain't coming down without your promise. Felix, bring up the vat of oil!"

Damn. The battering ram was going to force his hand. Without any assurance that the others would be safe, there was no point in him coming down. Maybe he could force the issue. Kel pulled the shield free of the door and chucked a hand axe down at Severmall's head. Already, he was tugging at his bandolier for the next axe.

Attack: [roll0], less any penalties for range. Damage: [roll1]

Kel is currently AC 24, HP 19. We'll see how long he stays that way. :smalleek:

Toliudar
2013-03-13, 02:37 PM
Len and Kel

Well, that's a nice omen! rolling for crit confirmation: [roll0] Extra damage: [roll1]

Edit: so, not a crit, but still! We've definitely got his attention. I don't think I've ever played a character who died two minutes into the game before. This is fun!

limejuicepowder
2013-03-13, 04:51 PM
Kel

The ax spirals towards its target, and strikes true, cutting a large gash across Severmall's face before landing in the dirt. It would have been worse but he reflexively jerked to the side at the last second. He roars again, but more in anger than in pain. He quickly scoops up the ax and wings it back at you.

For NPC rolls I'm going to show the d20 (or w/e it is) but not the modifier. I'll then edit the post to give the result and damage totals.

I'm assuming you've put the shield back in the window.

[roll0]
if it hits [roll1]

Edit: The rageful throw goes well wide, hitting in to the stone wall of the church. Sparks fly on impact, and the ax ricochets at an odd angle. It lands on the roof of the building to the north.

Behind you, Tomra says "Did you hear that? I couldla sworn I just heard something roll across the floor over there." He then walks towards the opposite window and peers out. "There's a man down there" he whispers to you.

Finnegan and Kel

The pebble flies though the open window. A moment later, you see the hint of man, a shadow within a shadow, appear at the portal. He whisper-calls to you "What do you want? We're kind of in a situation here."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-13, 05:12 PM
Everyone:"You the ones who killed a couple of them Filis Fiends?" calls Finnegan in a soft voice.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-13, 05:26 PM
I think we can dispose of the spoiler'd text now, since we're all in the same place. In situations where one character knows more than the others, I'm going to write from the point of view of the least-knowing character. The other players can just add in the extra stuff their character knows, and react accordingly.

Ex: in the conversation below, the man in the window is Tomra; Kel knows this but Finnegan doesn't. I'm going to refer to him as "man in window" or the like since that's who Finnegan knows him as at this point in time. Kel of course knows differently.

As an aside, if someone prefers me to do something differently for any reason, I welcome you to say so. The worst that can happen is I give a reason for not changing and we continue on; at best, I change what I'm doing and more enjoyment is had by all. Thanks :)

The man whispers back "In the most literal sense, yes; my companion came to the aid of a follower of this church that some Fiends were bothering - though he was perhaps a bit too enthusiastic. Now their leader wants his head. If you have something useful to do, we'd welcome it."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-13, 06:28 PM
Finnegan seems to think things over for a moment or two before removing his backpack and rifling through it. After a moment or two, he withdraws a thin black rod still encrusted with a bit of dirt and baring what appear to be dog bites. Tossing it up, Finnegan calls, "It's a smokestick. Found it just this afternoon. If those goons break in, crack it and throw it down the steps. Might give your friend a moment of surprise. Other than that, I've got me a crossbow, some acid, and a flask O' Alchemist Fire if you keep that window open and stand clear. Sound good?"

OOC: Attack roll to pass up the smokestick?

limejuicepowder
2013-03-13, 08:05 PM
OOC: Sounds good. Let's do it like this: attack roll vs AC 9 (5 base, +4 for cover). Since it's so similar to a club, don't apply improvised weapon penalties. The window is within 2 range increments though, so -1 penalty to the attack.

The man says "Wonderful! Most helpful indeed. I'll stand aside so you can just throw it in, I don't trust myself to catch it instead of dropping in on to the roof." His form then disappears from the window. Just as you are about to let fly though, he comes back again. "On second though, is there any way you could get up here? We'd get a lot more use of that stuff if we could just throw it out of the other window."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-13, 09:06 PM
Cracking his knuckles, Finnegan says, "Trust me, I've considered that. Sadly, this armor isn't for show. I'd not trust myself to climb a knotted rope in this but don't worry because... I've... got... your... back..."

With that, Finnegan tries to lob the smokestick in through the window, glad that a raw impact isn't enough to set it off.

Attack: [roll0]
Edit: Actually 14 but it still makes it.

Toliudar
2013-03-14, 10:53 AM
Kel glances back at Tomra, chatting out the other window with someone below. He briefly mourned his own seeming inability to have a friendly conversation with anyone, ever. Something to work on if he was alive in five minutes. His eyes alight on the smokestick. Ah! Delightful. And it wasn't going off, meaning that there was at least one other person in the world who didn't want to kill him.

Shouting over his shield in the window, Kel glances to the side to see if the axe landed within reach.

"What's it gonna be, Severmouse? Do I get my promise? I can keep this up all day. Your face looks better already."

Pulling the shield back, he snatches up an axe and chucks it back at Severmall before replacing the shield.

If the axe on the roof is within easy reach, Kel will grab that one. Otherwise, another axe from his bandolier.
Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

limejuicepowder
2013-03-14, 12:19 PM
Finnegan's side of the building: The smokestick flies true, sailing though the window. The man comes back to the opening and says "Thanks a lot! If we get out of this drinks are on me."

Kel's side: this time, Severmall is watching your window carefully, and sidesteps the ax that comes hurtling at him. Still keeping his eyes on you, he grabs the fallen ax and then moves under the eve of the building, out of your line of sight. "You should have come out when I first called coward. Now we're going to break this door and every last person will feel my wrath!"

Just then, you hear a shuttering crunch as the battering ram is swung against the door.

OOC: the ax actually landed on the adjacent building, well out of reach.

Toliudar
2013-03-14, 12:44 PM
Internally, Kel groans. He really would need to learn how to use one of those newfangled bow things some day.

Pulling the shield back again, he chucked another axe at Severmall's head.

"Suck my fat one, you cheap dime store hood.

"I did come out when you called, moron. Only reason you wouldn't give that promise is that you wanted to take it out on everyone here anyway, you lying sack of rotting pig balls."

With sincerest apologies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hLCYkSNpPk). I just watched Stand By Me two nights ago. It's such a great line.

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

limejuicepowder
2013-03-14, 04:23 PM
OOC: Severmall moved towards the building after you threw the last ax; you can't see him any more. If you'd like to keep that last throw, that's fine. In fact, because the second floor is smaller than the first, you can't see the battering ram group either; they are obscured by the roof of the first floor.

Borrowing lines is cool - in this case, I didn't recognize the line anyways.

Toliudar
2013-03-14, 05:05 PM
Ducking back from the window, Kel shrugs at Tomra.

"I'm going to head back down to the front door. Even if they get through the door, it'll be a choke point. Maybe if that archer's still below, he can give us some cover fire. And, uh. Thanks. Bet this wasn't how you thought you'd be spending your day!"

Pulling out his not-quite-absurdly large axe, Kel reflected on how it was actually a pretty good match for Severmall's club. The back of his brain tickled with the thought that perhaps both of them were compensating for something. But then, it had been more than a year since the last time Kel had had opportunity to try that out with someone else. In the meantime...he returned to main level to see what was going on there.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-14, 09:30 PM
I've switched back to the spoilers because you guys are sufficiently separated. Feel free to post in a spoiler or in the open.

Kel

Tomra calls after you "Should I come with you or stay up here? I'm not sure what use I'm going to be up here, lacking a ranged weapon." He follows you to the top of the stairs.

As you descend the stairs, the sound of the battering ram against the door becomes louder. When you reach the landing in front of the door, you find it empty - no priests, no Awakened, and no bodies, just some blood stains on the bench. However, you do find splinters of the door scattered across the floor. It won't be long now before the wooden crossbeam gives way and the door breaks entirely.

"What's going on down there?" Tomra calls from upstairs.

Finnegan

For a long moment, you hear nothing but the pound of the battering ram and the encouraging cheers of the other Fiends on the street over. Then, the door in front of you flies open, and 3 men walk though. They are all wearing simple woolen robes, and the man in the middle is quite old. The other two are assisting him. They stop suddenly when they see you, but more out of surprise than fear.

"Excuse us" the man on the right says "but we must escape this violence." They then continue on their way.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-14, 10:28 PM
Finnegan raises a hand to halt the group, pointedly aiming his crossbow away a moment afterwards when he realizes how things must look, "Head to the Silver Vein on Nimal," says Finnegan, hoping he's remembered the street name by now as he reaches into his pocket and draws out a gold coin, "Get something to eat and try to blend it. If I'm there by the end of the night, it's safe to come back." With that, Finnegan tosses the coin their way, "Well, off with you, then."

Diplomacy (if needed): [roll0]

Turning from them to the open door, Finnegan realizes that he stands at a crossroads. To stay outside and remain detached from this mess or go inside and help whatever fool had picked a fight with a gang. In the end, though, Finnegan decides that the chance of notoriety is worth a bit of danger. Slinging his shield, Finnegan reaches into his belt pouch for caltrops even as he walks into the building, pressing himself against the nearest wall to keep hidden as he attempts to seek out the front door.

Hide [roll1]
Move Silently [roll2]

Toliudar
2013-03-14, 11:24 PM
Kel

Kel is relieved to see that the priests have found somewhere to hole up. Of course, that raises other questions, but they were questions that he could ask if he was still alive in two minutes. He glanced up at Tomra, his mind racing as he heard the door begin to splinter, and gestured up at the man to join him downstairs.

Out loud, though, and with a booming voice, he shouts: "Better if you stay up there to keep them from coming through the window. The scythe trap and guard dogs should be enough down here."

Kel thought of the time that he'd been pinned down in the pig barn by seven dead. Waiting next to the door hadn't worked as well as he'd hoped - the first two had gotten past him before he could react. But if he placed himself opposite the door, and pushed the first one back out, he had a shot to make a defensible point in the doorway. Kel slid his axe off of its hook and balanced it in hand, his left foot braced against the wall opposite the door. He was just about out of tricks.

Ah well. It had been a good run.

Entering punishing stance, drawing his axe. Preparing to use Charging Minotaur on the first target he can see once the door goes down. Opposed Strength check [roll0] Damage if he is successful: [roll1] He will push the figure back as far as possible.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-15, 06:36 AM
Finnegan

Your eyes take a moment to adjust to the lighting in the church. This first room has no immediate light source. The only way forward is a small set of stairs going down; there is a flickering light coming from there as well.

Staying as quite as you can, you creep down the stairs. At the bottom, a large room open up on your left. This room appears to be empty, and there are several cots and beds spaced along the walls. Several torches adorn the walls. There is a door on the wall to your right that is open a crack. Before you are even half way across the room, you can already hear voices and movement on the other side - it sounds like wood is being stacked.

Peeking through the door, you see 3 more robed men; one of them looks to have been beaten rather severely. There is also an Awakened. On the ground, there are two bloody bodies. Set in the wall to the left is an enormous hearth, which is currently stacked with wood. As you watch, one of the robed men bends down and begins to strike flint over tinder.

Kel

When you shouted your bluff, the hammering stops for a moment, and you can hear indistinct voices outside. Then you hear Severmall's roaring command "Keep hammering you half-wits! He's trying to scare you; this is a church! They have no defenses!"

Tomra bounds down the stairs, dagger in hand. He then takes up position to the left of the door. If the door is still on its hinges when it goes, he will be hidden by the open door.

Finally, the crossbeam splinters to pieces. One more tremendous strike and the door latch breaks, and the door flies open. In the frame of the door is the battering ram, and 2 men on either side of it who operated it. They quickly step to the side to allow the initial raiding party get in: you see the silhouette of a man charge in carrying a short sword.

This first man gets about 1 step in to the door before you hit him with your shield full in the chest; the force of your charge is so great his head whips forward, and you think you hear his neck snap. His body goes flying backwards in to the man behind him, and they both topple to the ground.

Now standing in the doorway, you can see about 10 or so men waiting to get in the church - but you don't see Severmall.

"Well well. Looks like the coward has finally decided to show his face."

Toliudar
2013-03-15, 09:46 AM
Kel

Kel stands panting in the doorway, his axe still showing traces of blood from the altercation on the street. His left arm is still jarred from the impact with the swordsman, and it takes more effort than it should to lift it into a defensive posture. He thinks about a route of retreat into the room that would let Tomra reach anyone who rushes in...but then Tomra is stuck behind the door, and almost certain to be swarmed. Crap. Kel calls out above the heads of the crowd.

"Look. Nobody else has to die here, Severmall. If you'd promised to make this just between the two of us, I'd a come down. That man's blood is on your hands. As will be the blood of the next fool who tries to come through this door. Now, if I come out to fight you, will you leave this church in peace?"

Beads of sweat - from panic as well as exertion - bead along Kel's hairline, but his determination is clear.

Ready an action to strike at anyone who tries a melee attack or move past him. Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] and damage from Punishing Stance: [roll2]. He is AC 22, HP 19.

Good storytelling, Limejuicepowder!

limejuicepowder
2013-03-15, 12:13 PM
Kel

The other men, now standing in a rough half-circle around the door, are hesitating. After seeing the savagery the first man was met with, none of them seem keen on getting in range of your ax.

Severmall steps in to view; he had been leaning against the wall of the adjacent building. Now that he is only about 15' away, you get a good look at the man.

He is nothing if not big; at least 6'3" and an easy 240 lbs. The flickering torches make shadows dance over the chords of muscle in his neck. He has dark curly hair and a matching scrubby beard, and his eyes are dark circles in this light. You spot studded leather bracers on his arms, hinting at armor obscured by his baggy tunic.

He stares you down for what seems like forever, then takes a quick glance at his men.

"Very well. You come out of the house and we will meet in solo combat. And even after I spread your brains across the dirt, I will not harm whoever is in the church."

Toliudar
2013-03-15, 01:58 PM
Kel

Kel nodded slowly. The big man was probably lying, but the possibility that he wasn't - or the offhand chance that Kel might actually get lucky and beat him - were the only way he could figure out how to give Tomra and the priests any shot at all. So it goes.

So a big man, old enough to know what he was doing. Old enough for there to be military training, back when there were real militaries. None of this was good news. And armour under that jacket, probably, so better to aim for the joints and head, the way he had with the thrown axe. So it goes.

Kel took a careful step forward, encouraging the men near the door to clear away, and cut experimentally through the air with his axe.

"My soul be not on thee."

Now that Severmall had stepped out, and agreed to terms, there was no point in being impolite. An old drunkard had taught Kel that ancient duelist's pledge, absolving the other man of any wrongdoing in one's death. Kel knew that the implications were probably lost on the big thug, but it somehow made things easier.

5' step forward. Flourish to restore his maneuvers.

And in case it becomes relevant: Initiative [roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-15, 06:42 PM
Finnegan Cross:Walking into the room with the corpses and stowing the caltrops once more, Finnegan quickly introduces himself, "Relax, relax. I'm not here to hurt you. I'm just here for them ruffians at the front door. Don't suppose one of you could point the way there, could you?"

limejuicepowder
2013-03-16, 07:58 AM
Kel

Severmall flicks his head towards the open street, and walks in that direction, still keeping his eyes on you. The other Fiends clear a path for both of you.

Stopping in the middle of the street, Severmall once again stares you down as he brings his club up to a fighting position. "You're going to regret sticking your nose in to other people's business. I guess no one told you that in this town, it's better to just mind yourself and not think about anyone else."

Severmall is 15 ft away from you.

Initiative [roll0]

Finnegan

All of the men start at your appearance, but but relax once you've explained yourself. One of the robed men says "Through that door, go straight across to the hallway and up the stairs. That will bring you to the Seven St entrance."

The next room you enter is has several tables; clearly a dining room or the like. Increasing your speed, you bound up the short set of stairs and come to a landing just like the one you entered at. The door here though has been smashed open, and there are splinters of wood everywhere. There is a man standing in the doorway, looking towards the street. He turns at your approach, and smiles when he sees who you are.

"Ah, our noble benefactor. Pleasure to meet you properly - my name is Tomra" he says, shaking your hand. "My companion has finally gotten Severmall to agree to a duel, and they are about to begin."

limejuicepowder
2013-03-16, 08:03 AM
Combat With that last declaration, Severmall lifts his club high and rushes you before you can do the same to him.

attack (charge): [roll0]

damage [roll1]

limejuicepowder
2013-03-16, 08:10 AM
Combat, continued

Uh-oh, he potentially crit'd.....Let's see what happens.
On a side note, it's really annoying that I can't make additional rolls in an edited post.

confirmation: [roll0]

additional roll for damage if confirmed: [roll1]
total damage of crit: 14 + roll above

damage if not confirmed: 8

His club comes crushing down towards your head, and you barely manage to get your shield up in time. The strike is partially deflected, but it still deals you a heavy blow to the shoulder. The pain is great, but nothing you haven't dealt with before.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-16, 09:23 AM
OOC: I know that some people roll confirmation rolls just in case whenever they make an attack roll.

Loading a bolt into his crossbow, Finnegan walks up to the edge of the doorway, readying an action to shoot the next man who tries to enter the fight.

"Are we rooting for the big man or the giant?" he whispers.

Toliudar
2013-03-16, 09:55 AM
Kel flinches as the big man rushed him, and barely got his shield up to deflect some of the force of the man's blow. As it is, the huge club still crunched down on his shoulder, sending spikes of pain up and down his arm.

"If I'd wanted to live only for myself, I could a kept scrounging and dodging the dead. The whole point a coming here was to try to do something more. Arshole."

Stop talking, idiot! Talking is distracting you from fighting. He circled around with the man, seeking an opening. Kel swung low, face fixed into a grimace.

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] plus [roll2] from punishing stance. Kel is AC 22, HP 11/19.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-16, 12:10 PM
OOC: Sorry to (nit)pick on you Toliudar, but punishing stance gives a -2 armor penalty, so your armor is 20 by my calculation. Also, you rolled a d8 for your weapon and it should have been a d10. No big deal, just bringing it to your attention. I'll let you keep your damage roll, of course.

And good idea for the confirmation rolls, that should make things a bit easier.

Finnegan: Tomra gives you a sideways look, trying to tell if you're joking. "We're rooting for the pretty one" he says with a smirk. Then serious, he adds "We may have to step in if some of these boys decide they want in on the action...though fleeing is probably the smart thing to do."

Kel: Severmall tries to jump back from your ax, but unfortunately for him he is too slow. You feel the blade bite deep in to his thigh. He cries out, this time with pure pain, and falls to his knees. His club drops and clatters in the dirt.

Even though the pain, he looks at you with hatred. "Finish it then, filthy cur. I'm done with this town anyways, full of undead and their bitch lovers." He then spits in the dirt in front of you.

Finnegan: When the man with the club falls to the ground, Tomra exclaims "Yes! He's done it!" You do a quick scan of the assembled men, but the fight has gone out of them. They all stand as if frozen, transfixed by the sight of their leader kneeling in the mud and dirt and about to die.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-16, 12:28 PM
"Oi oi oi, looks like I got here a moment too late." mutters Finnegan as he walks out the door. A relatively short and squat man approaching middle age, most of his body is concealed behind layers of armor, belt pouches, bandoliers, backpacks, sheaths, and and a few miscellaneous weapons hanging from his waist. Looking up at the behemoth of a man who won the fight, Finnegan makes a mental note to take his own life if he ever joins the rotters. "We've already got bodies burning in there, friend. Do ya really need to add another to the pyre?"

Toliudar
2013-03-16, 02:06 PM
My mistake on the AC, LJP. I'd noted the penalty from punishing stance, but misremembered Kel's starting AC. Sorry.

Kel quickly steps forward to kick the club away from Severmall, and hefts the axe up to his shoulder, but does not drop it.

"Buddy, all I ever wanted was for your folks to stop beating on these priests. What beef do you have with them, anyway?"

limejuicepowder
2013-03-16, 05:45 PM
Severmall takes quick note of the newcomer, but then focuses his attention on Kel. "Usurpers. Invaders. Outsiders. Weaklings, all of you. This was our town before, and when your own homes were destroyed, you came crawling to us like worms. A man defends his home or dies in it, there is no retreat."

Blood continues to pour down his leg and soak the ground. Even though he's on his knees, he is getting more unsteady by the second. A moment later, a small group of Fiends approach the scene. Without a word or a glance, two of the men crouch by Severmall and put his arms over their shoulders. Standing together, they hoist him up and begin walking back towards the building they came pouring out of not more than 20 minutes before. The rest of the Fiends follow.

Tomra comes bounding out of the church and jogs over to you, a smile on his face. "Well that was exciting, wasn't it. I'm glad your as fearsome in combat as you look, friend. And thank you too....I'm sorry, I've forgotten your name."

Tomra was about to say more, but you both realize he is looking at something else - something coming from same direction the Fiends departed in. A flicker of fear crosses his eyes, and then he mutters a curse. "Our evening of excitement is not over, gentlemen."

Finally, you see what has Tomra spooked - a group of men is quickly approaching your position. Each is wearing identical long black coats with a double row of black buttons holding it closed. Dull grey metal armor plates cover their shoulders and forearms. Black boots send up clouds of dust with each step, and all but the man in front wear unadorned full helms that obscure their faces. The metal of the helms matches their shoulder plates.

The man in front instead wears a black beret with a small grey insignia. Even at this distance, perhaps 75 feet, his lack of helm reveals an unusually pale face, pinched and narrow.

Tomra hurriedly whispers "They are the Nether Guard."

Toliudar
2013-03-16, 11:07 PM
Kel

Kel makes no effort to stand in the way as two of Severmall's crew move to take him away. Two men dead - maybe more if his alchemist's fire had been more effective than he thought. Two men seriously injured. And Kel had no idea why any of this had happened. Maybe it would have been better, all things considered, if he hadn't tried to help in the first place.

As Tomra and the other man come out, he stops to wipe off his axe and slide it back onto its place. He extends a large hand in greeting to the other man.

"Didn't get a chance to say thanks for your help. Kel."

The approach of the guardsmen cuts short further conversation. Kel had grown up in a town small enough that they pretty much took care of law problems themselves, and after the dead rose, there wasn't much law of any kind to be had. Having uniformed guards of any kind was still a novelty to Kel. He wasn't really sure why Tomra would be worried about them. And the name?

Kel murmured his confusion to Tomra. "Nether guard? They watch the back?"

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-16, 11:43 PM
"Finnegan. Sorry I couldn't help more," Finnegan eyes the Nether Guard as they approach, "Or maybe I should be thankful."

limejuicepowder
2013-03-17, 06:52 AM
Tomra quickly explains in a hushed tone as the black-clothed men draw near. "They are the elite, the last and best line of defense - hence, nether. Tainted, every one of 'em."

He ceases talking as the group of men stop abruptly exactly 5 ft away from you three. The man who's clearly in charge gives all of you a once over, then says "I am Vice-Cpt Vantro. There was a report of a possible mass-death situation, and we are here to secure the area and ensure that the bodies are disposed of properly. Where, if any, are the bodies now?"

Vice-Cpt Vantro is exceptionally corpse-like, even for someone Tainted. His skin is so pale it's nearly white, made whiter still by the contrast to his black uniform. His cheeks are sunken, his eyes dead and unblinking. When he talks, you can see that though his teeth are straight and clean, his tongue and gums have turned black with death. His voice is cold and clipped, with a slight rasp that's only noticeable on soft vowels.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-17, 09:51 AM
"Inside and down the stairs" responds Finnegan, "Saw them on my way out."

Toliudar
2013-03-17, 02:37 PM
Kel

Kel stands more or less straight as the Nether Guard approach. Vantro's words wound him, but Kel takes his cue from Tomra's anxiety and says nothing. If these ones were in the business of assigning blame, there'd be guilt enough to go around without the help of his stupid mouth.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-17, 10:31 PM
At Finnegan's words, Vantro gives a short hand command without taking his eyes away from you three. Immediately, 5 of the men break rank and hustle in to the church and out of sight.

"If you three would step over here I'd like to question you on the series of events that led to this. As of now, no one is under arrest, and as a measure of good faith I'll have you know I'd like to keep it that way. In return, I ask that your speak candidly and answer my questions truthfully."

He then turns to his men and gives them various orders; they all then break rank and go about their duties. Some of them move towards the Fiend's hideout, others begin rounding up and questioning other civilians in the area.

Turning back to the three of you, he says "I'm going to question you each individually, beginning with you," gesturing to Kel. "You two may sit if you like, and I ask that you make no attempt to leave the area." You see that one of Guard has taken a bench from the opening foyer of the church and placed it against the wall outside, facing the street. A Guardsmen now stands adjacent to the bench, clearly to make sure you listen to Vantro's polite request.

Once Finnegan and Tomra have walked away, Vantro leads Kel to the opposite side of the street where a table and two chairs have been dragged out from somewhere. Sitting in the chair on the left, he gestures for Kel to join him.

"Starting from the beginning, tell me what happened here tonight." he says.

Toliudar
2013-03-18, 11:50 AM
Kel

Kel is put slightly at ease by Vantro's words, but the reality of being questioned by a group of heavily armed dead guys doesn't get shoved into the mental background very easily. He settled uneasily into the chair next to Vantro. Ah well. If they were going to kill him, they might as well do it for the truth.

"Walking along, I saw four guys with clubs and knives kicking the sh-. Um. Attacking an old priest guy with robes. I yelled for em to stop, they told me to mind my own business. I showed em my axe. They didn't stop. I cut two of em pretty bad, and the other two guys ran over into that building.

"I tried to stop the bleeding on the two guys I cut, an' I think one of em is stil alive in that church there. That guy, Tomra, and some dead-. And another man with a bow came along and offered to help. We took em in to get taken care of. Then a crowd of maybe twenty, thirty come running out of that warehouse place, looking to make some trouble. We barricade the church doors, an the priests offer to hide us there. Don't seem right to bring trouble down on them and then squirrel away in their cellar, though. Tomra and me, we go up to an upstairs window and I try to make the crowd go away with some firebombs I found in a cabinet outside a - right. Tonight.

"Fire doesn't discourage em much, but pisses off their big guy, Severmall, I think. He tells me to come out, which I offer to do if he promises not to trash the church or anybody else. He yells a bunch more crap, and I tag him with an axe."

Kel glanced up at the roof. He liked that axe. It had good balance and weight. He'd have to remember to go get that axe.

"The come up with a battering ram and start working on the front door. This guy - "

Kel points to Finnegan.

"He comes along and tries to help disperse the crowd, which was real nice of him. Anyway, Tomra and me, we go back down to the front doors, and when the idiots burst through the doors, I manage to push em back out again for a second. Finally, the Severmall guy agrees not to mess with the others inside the church. We fight. I cut him bad, and a couple of his guys drag him away. Then you show up."

Kel fiddles with his thick fingers, all too aware that the mouthy man's blood was still visible on them. He shrugs.

"Way I figure it, two guys are dead. Maybe more, but I don't know for sure. That's all on me. All that these two ever did was try to make it all stop. And all I did was try to make a bunch of woodheads stop hurtin' that priest."

limejuicepowder
2013-03-18, 12:25 PM
Vantro listens to your story without interrupting, and doesn't change his blank expression even once. When you finish, he sits for a few seconds in silence. Then he speaks. "That's quite a tale. Under what might be called normal circumstances, I would question the truthfulness of any story that involved fighting off dozens of men without injury....but times have changed. You are clearly a man who has seen the darker side of life, and lived through it."

He ponders for a moment, then says "For now, I have no further questions for you. If you could join your companions by the church and send over the man Finnegan, please."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-18, 02:47 PM
Finnegan nods as he walks up. When he speaks to the nether guard, he does so at a hastened pace, as if afraid that any small skipped detail may prove somehow disastrous. "I'm sorry, sir, but I don't know how much help I'd be. Relatively new in town. Was just taking an evening walk (you have no idea how much I've missed those) when I heard all of this hullabaloo down on Seven street. This is Seven street, right? Anyways, I hear all of this ruckus and a crowd is forming and people are shouting.

"Being a curious fellow, I walk up to a couple of guys and ask what's going on and it sounds like this gang, the Felix Fiends, was it? Someone apparently took out a couple of their men and they're out for blood. With a group calling themselves fiends cornering someone in a church of all places and calling for blood, I just wanted to keep things calm. Bit of a busybody, I guess."

"Went around to the back and got some intention of the people inside. Learned there was a priest inside so I handed the priest a smokestick, a defensive item, do note, and informed him that I'd provide him with cover if the brutes forced their way up to the second floor."

"Not two minutes afterwards, group of priests, three of them, left through a back door and seemed rather spooked. Told them to wait at the Silver Vein, pub and tavern down on Nimal, to wait the thing out. They'll corroborate if you go get them."

"Anyways, I'm here worrying more priests may be inside while a full crowd waits out front for slaughter, whole recipe for a bloodbath. I go in through the back door. Bit of tresspassing, I admit, but I doubt they'd charge. Walk through the building where I see a couple of priests and an awakened... I hope it was an awakened... about to burn a body or two."

"Just went past and out the front door just as the final blow in the battle was struck. Went out to make sure that the guy, Sewermill? He was beggin' to be put out of his misery and I tried to keep that from happening. Not that the big guy would have followed through, otherwise. Just a precaution."

Toliudar
2013-03-18, 02:52 PM
Kel

Kel shrugged off the sort-of-compliment without comment, and got up to go back to Tomra. He pointed Finnegan over to Vantro.

"You're next."

While he waited for whatever happened next, Kel finally took time to shift his shield back onto his back, and loosened his shoulder straps to look at the damage from Severmall's club. Yup. That were nasty. Didn't feel like any bones were broken, but his arm was already stiff and sore, and it was looking like the bruise would look like a map of the continent. 'Without injury'. Huh. Doing up the strap again, he glanced over at Tomra, trying to size up his mysterious benefactor.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-19, 06:13 AM
Finnegan: "Hmm" Vantro says. "It seems you did not personally witness any of the actual violence that took place."

"Two men have been found burned to death by alchemical mixtures; do you have any information about that?"

Kel: Trying to keep his voice low and moving his mouth as little as possible, Tomra whispers "What did he ask you? Only about tonight?" You almost don't even notice he's talking, since he didn't even look at you.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-19, 08:07 AM
"Here?" asks Finnegan, clearly confused, "I only saw two bodies inside, bloody but otherwise mostly intact. The priests were ready to burn them, all right, but with wood and normal flame, not some odd alchemy."

Toliudar
2013-03-19, 10:46 AM
Kel isn't sure what all the circumspectness was about, but since his misunderstandings seemed to have lead to two deaths, maybe more, in the last hour, he was more than willing to give Tomra the benefit of the doubt. He nods slightly.

Slowly - slowly (no point in giving these Netherguys any extra reasons to be nervous) - he reached back into his pack and pulled out his waterskin. Kel poured a bit over his hands and wiped them on his shirt, then took a slug of the water. He offered the half-full flask to Tomra.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-19, 04:20 PM
Finnegan: "Yes, two men died after being hit by jars of alchemist's fire. If you did not witness it though, there is no point in questioning you about it" Vantro says in his cold voice. "That will be all; you may return to the bench, please. And send over the last man, Tomra."

Kel: Tomra accepts the water with a nod of thanks, and drinks deeply. Handing it back, he continues to closely watch Vice-Cpt Vantro sitting across the street. For a second it seems like he's about to say something, but then thinks better of it.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-19, 05:41 PM
Finnegan Cross: Finnegan happily walks back over to the bench, happy instead of frustrated for once at his own ignorance. "You're up," he says to Tomra, sitting himself back down.

Toliudar
2013-03-19, 06:03 PM
Kel shrugs at Tomra, and silently offers the water flask to Finnegan.

"Sorry. I don't really know the customs here. Just got in a couple days ago."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-19, 09:16 PM
"Same here," says Finnegan, stretching his hands up above his head in fatigue. Curiously, as if noticing something, Finnegan looks over Kel with a more critical eye. "Tell me, Kel, what is it that you do here in town?"

Toliudar
2013-03-19, 11:40 PM
Kel smiles bitterly.

"Well, nothing yet. Mostly, I've just been reminding myself how to deal with other people. And it seems pretty clear that I'm not even very good at that. You say you're new here too? Are there other cities left, then? Other holdouts? Where'd you come from?"

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-20, 08:26 AM
"Me. I came from Doubledown, not that much is left of the place. Maybe there's some holdout somewhere, couple families living on top of a mountain or something, but I haven't seen any."

Finnegan sighs, shaking his head, before continuing, "You know, I've recently accepted a job outside of the walls. Nothing out of the valley or anything but I've been looking for a bit of muscle in case things go wrong. You interested in a good day of work?"

Toliudar
2013-03-20, 10:47 AM
Kel perks up visibly. A purpose beyond mere survival would be most welcome.

"Uh, yeah, that'd be great! And, uh, I guess you've kind of seen what I can do. Oh, how far outside a the wall is the job? I got a horse, might be good to have her along. Ferny's a survivor, you know? Oh, uh. I guess I'm not too good at this. I suppose I ought to be asking what the job is, how much it pays. That kind of stuff."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-20, 02:00 PM
"I need to pick some flowers," says Finnegan with his face and voice both serious. "No more than a few miles out of town and we don't need to leave the valley. Two types to collect, one by the river and one that only blooms at dusk. I'll pay you 10 gold for each river flower we grab and 25 for each sunset bloom. Should take all of tomorrow, all things considered."

Toliudar
2013-03-20, 02:37 PM
Kel

Kel tilts his head, clearly checking to see if Finnegan was kidding. Nope.

"We're heading out into areas controlled by the dead...to pick flowers. All right. What the hell. What say I meet you inside the east gate a little after sunup tomorrow?"

I'm using 'east gate' interchangably. If there's a specific exit to the city that would be best for accessing the river, Kel will suggest that gate.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-20, 08:52 PM
"Sounds good, friend," says Finnegan, a smile on his face. Looking towards Tomra and the Nether Guard, Finnegan waits until everything is finally settled.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-21, 06:14 AM
Eventually, Tomra stands from his chair and walks back towards the bench where the two of you sit. Catching your eye, he makes a face showing his relief to have Vantro's questions behind him. You both notice that Vantro had a lot more to ask Tomra than he did either of you.

Stopping in front of the bench, Tomra says "That was a little nerve-racking. Not that I did anything wrong of course, but he sure makes you feel like you did." Tomra still talks in a whisper, as if he's afraid of being overheard. He opens his mouth to say more, but Vantro suddenly appears next to him, and Tomra's mouth shuts instantly.

"I imagine you'll be glad to hear that all of your stories match the overall picture of events as my men have gathered from other witnesses. The Nether Guard thanks you for your cooperation, and you are free to go. However, I urge caution in the future: this time, extenuating circumstances explained your situation well enough to let you go. If we find any of you at the center of a pile of bodies again though, we will be forced to look in to the matter more thoroughly - which I assure you won't be as pleasant. Have a good evening." With that, Vantro turns on his heel and marches up Seven towards the Fiend's hideout.

Giving you both another look, Tomra says "Well what are we up to next?"

Toliudar
2013-03-21, 02:24 PM
Kel shrugs.

"Well, I'd sure as hell like to know why those bas'ards were beating the priest up in the first place, and find out if the guy we brought into the church survived. Plus, I don't have a place to sleep tonight, and figured I might barter some time spent putting that door back on its hinges for a bed and supper. Aside from that...dunno."

He turns to Finnegan.

"You seem like a resourceful land-on-yer-feet kind of guy. What are your plans?"

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-21, 06:30 PM
Finnegan, for all of his time spent on the road and hiding in the bushes between towns, is still flabbergasted that someone in a safe town would be forced to beg for something as simple as a bed. "I'm heading back to the Silver Vein, nice place back on Nimal. You'll see for yourself even if I've got to drag you back. No friend of mine is sleeping out on the streets, you hear?"

Toliudar
2013-03-21, 11:09 PM
Kel seems uncertain as to how to respond to Finnegan's outpouring of kindness.

"That's kind. I just meant, well, I haven't really gotten used to using money again, and I didn't really bring much here. Also, not used to using money for stuff. Like um using beds and such. Don't get me wrong. I'm looking forward to trying it out."

He pauses, hesitating, and then extends a hamhand to Finnegan.

"Seems like maybe there's a lot I can learn from you. You wanna come in and talk with them priests now?"

limejuicepowder
2013-03-22, 06:29 AM
Tomra, who had been just listening to the conversation, interjects "Yah know Kel, I wouldn't think too hard about why those Fiends were bothering the priest. They're bullies, giving people a hard time is what they do. The priest standing there with his sign, reminding everyone of the desperate times we live in, probably didn't help either."

Looking around as if searching for something, Tomra continues "On second thought, I think I might turn in - this crazy night tired me out. It sounds like you're busy tomorrow, but you wanna meet for dinner? If yah don't show I'll know to send out a search party" he says with a grin.

Toliudar
2013-03-22, 08:07 AM
Kel looked like he'd been about to turn in towards the church, but turns back at Tomra's words. There's another hesitant smile.

"A dinner sounds good. But no search parties, please. I think I'm done with crowds for a while.

"Um. Where should I meet you?"

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-22, 08:10 AM
"Sounds fine to me," says Finnegan, never one to waste the gratitude of others. Taking Kel's hand and shaking it vigorously, he adds, "Stay with me, friend. You're on the ups and ups from here on out."

limejuicepowder
2013-03-22, 12:09 PM
"Finnegan is right; The Silver Vein IS a nice place. Since it sounds like you both are already staying there, I'll just come to you - say, at 9 bells....or what would be 9 bells, before the ringing of loud bells was outlawed."

Shaking both Kel and Finnegan's hands, Tomra says "Well it was a very exciting evening. I look forward tomorrow, and let's hope it's not quite as exciting as this one was." With that, he turns and begins to walk up Seven St.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-23, 09:49 PM
OOC

I'm assuming at this point there's not anything else you want to do in the immediate setting, and are waiting to move on. I'm also assuming no one will mind if I move things along a bit - if you'd like to do something else, just say so

Done with the Fiends and done with the Nether Guards, it is finally time to return to the Silver Vein, get some dinner, and relax. There is a fair amount of people milling around on Seven Street, drawn by the commotion. Both of you have an easy time passing however as everyone seems to take an interest in getting out of the way.

Walking up Seven, taking a right on Ninth, then a left on Nimal, you arrive at the Silver Vein in short order. The evening crowd is even more robust than it was the night before - tonight, a musician has taken up a corner of the room, and he is a skilled one at that. The smells of drink, music, and fresh cooked food fills the air. Before long, you are both served with hearty portions of stew, bread, cheese, and beer. True to form, the barmaid serves but makes no show of recognizing Finnegan. The next few hours pass pleasantly in conversation and song.

As the night wears on and the morning becomes young, the last of the patrons clear out. The barmaid spends some time cleaning up before heading out the door, and you both follow soon after. Once again she is waiting by the stables.

Though it's hard to tell in the darkness of night, she doesn't seem to give Kel a second glance, and addresses Finnegan immediately. "My friend has agreed to help....but only for these terms. 250 gold pieces up front, and another 250 on return. An additional 100 gp bonus if more than 30 plants are collected. Do you agree?"

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-25, 04:59 PM
Finnegan raises a single eyebrow as he looks over the barmaid. Here he had been worrying that refusing the help might cause problems. He had considered a dozens of ways to politely decline if it came right down to it but here she had given him the easiest reason at all. Bowing graciously, Finnegan frowns and says, "sadly, I could ill afford your friend even if I were so inclined. I am, after all, a humble traveling handyman, far from a merchant prince."

Toliudar
2013-03-25, 05:06 PM
Kel

Kel has more or less forgotten what things usually cost, but the numbers seemed high, even to his ears. He failed to conceal a small cough of surprise at the figures presented, but otherwise shuts the hell up and let's Finnegan deal with this.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-25, 06:13 PM
The barmaid's only reaction to the refusal is a slight shift in weight; her face remains passive. But when she talks, it is in a slightly exasperated tone "Oh c'mon, your not going to even make a counter offer? What if I told you that my friend is familiar with the surrounding country, and could probably show you good places to harvest. You also originally offered to split it down the middle for good help - I thought you'd jump at the opportunity to only pay 600."

Toliudar
2013-03-25, 09:57 PM
Kel

The big man grunts in recognition.

"Oh, wait! This is that, um. Hogcalling? No. That's not right. Holllering? Haggling! That's it. Um. You're haggling, right?"

He shrugged at Finnegan.

"Sorry. I don't know how to haggle."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-26, 12:46 PM
If Finnegan could have raised his eyebrow any higher, he most certainly would have. "As tempting as that may be, my dear, what you propose is simply impossible. I have very near nothing to offer "in advance" as far as coin and offering a flat sum on completion doesn't make sense if I don't know how much is out there, you see. As I'm the one who's trying to make money, putting myself in debt for protection would rather defeat the purpose, especially when there's others willing to be more cooperative. Take this mountain of a man right here. Kel here doesn't know the meaning of the word haggle. Straightforward, personable, and an ace with an axe. Between you and me, just got into a fight with ol' Severmall and came out in one piece. Kel, right here, he's agreed to help me out in exchange for a share of the profits and I was only really looking for a single guard. Hypothetically, however, if your "friend" really needed a job and you could talk Kel into it, I might be willing to split three ways. Of course, we're leaving tomorrow morning so I'd hope your friend was close."

Toliudar
2013-03-26, 01:23 PM
Kel

Sensing that the negotiation with the barmaid was going nowhere particularly helpful, Kel gestures to the stables.

"Uh. I'll just go get Ferny saddled up."

Kel inhales deeply as he entered the stables. Even in these downtrodden times, there was something refreshing and perfect about the combination of straw, dust and horses**t for making you feel alive and hopeful. Locating her stall, Kel grunted appreciatively to the stable boy and lead Ferny out to check that her grooming and morning feeding was properly completed.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-26, 07:25 PM
OOC

Kel it's about 1:30 AM right now, not quite ready to get the horses saddled yet xD. Still have to sleep and all that. You also might want to look in to wound care before venturing out in to the wilderness.

Clearing trying to hide her frustration, the barmaid says "Alright, make me an offer. I promise it won't be money ill-spent."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-26, 11:54 PM
Finnegan nods, seeming to think for a bit, "I'm only after what's fair here, is all. A third of the pay for a third of the work, split upon payment. If we do particularly well, I'd be willing to be more than fair. An extra fifty gold from my share for every hundred-fifty that share should have. And let it be clear that I'm doing this as a favor. I've looked around and I can get a private army of tainted for the price you've asked. I know next to nothing about your "friend" but I am offering a job... for top coin... because I am willing to put my faith in your judgment. What say you?" with this, Finnegan extends a single hand as if for a handshake.

Toliudar
2013-03-27, 01:02 AM
Ah! The morning is VERY young. My apologies. In that case, ignore my whole last post. Can we assume that Kel asked Tomra where he could get a cracked rib mended, or do you want me to RP that out?

limejuicepowder
2013-03-27, 06:04 AM
OOC

Nah going back for something like that isn't worth it (Tomra, meaning me, should have remembered to tell his buddy of a place anyways). He told you of two places - Churgeon General is the best place in the city, it is essentially a hospital. It is located in the Mining District. However, they focus on treating injuries sustained in the mines or from undead, and charge a premium for other walk-ins.

The second place is on 12th Street (take a right off Nimal as you approach the market place). Perfect Physician is a family-owned place, and they are quite good for regular bumps and bruises.

Showing the smile that helps fill the Silver Vein each night, the barmaid shakes takes your hand and shakes it firmly. "We have a deal then. Where and what time should my friend meet you? And should he have a horse?"

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-27, 09:56 AM
"East gate shortly after sunrise. Horses won't make things too much faster but your friend can bring one if walking sounds bothersome." With that, Finnegan smiles and purchases a room for Kel for the night and tells the barkeep to let the large man know when he gets back in. With all else done, Finnegan heads up to bed.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-28, 06:07 AM
Kel: Despite it being the middle of the night, the city streets are still alive with activity. Whether it's caused by the always-impending end of the world or if city people don't have to rest as much as normal folk, it seems the city never sleeps. In this particular situation, it works out in your favor: when you arrive at Perfect Physician (easily found by the large sign with a red cross on it, with "Perfect Physician" written underneath), there is a light on inside.

Entering the door, you find yourself in a cage of sorts: the 10 x 10 ft space in front of the door is enclosed by iron bars running from floor to ceiling. Looking through the bars, you see the rest of the room is a large one, with beds lining the walls and a long table running the length of the room. The table is stacked and scattered with various medical equipment, potions, and salves. Directly in front of you is the (closed) door to the cage, and to the right of that is a desk, which is empty.

You see three people in the room, besides the several patients lying in beds. There's a middle-aged man with grey, messy hair attending to a patient, and a young girl, probably about 16, helping him. After a moment, you also notice a large man wearing leather armor and holding a club standing in the corner to the left of the door. "I'll be with you in 1 moment, sir" the grey-haired man calls.

Tossing something on the central table, the man walks purposefully to the desk by the door and sits on the edge. Eyeing your armor, shield, and ax, he asks "are you here to receive medical attention....or to report that someone needs medical attention?"

Toliudar
2013-03-28, 09:37 AM
Kel

Kel considered some ham-handed response in the vein of 'you should see the other guy', but dismissed it as the empty bravado it would be. Instead, he simply shrugged at the grey-haired man. He showed two empty palms. The axe and shield were cleaned and hung on his back. It was probably about as un-threatening as he was likely to look.

"Guy hit me with a club big enough to serve dinner on. I got a cracked rib or something. It only hurts when I breathe. Look, I only got a little money now, but I got a job tomorrow, an' could come back with more. Or...maybe I could work it off, doing something like what that guy's prob'ly doing for you."

Kel stood on his side of the cage, impassive. If the man indicated that he wouldn't treat Kel, there was no point in making trouble.

Thanks! I got side-tracked before posting to move this forward.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-28, 12:55 PM
The man gives a short but friendly laugh. "We can talk about money later; if you're well enough to walk in here on your own, it's probably not a major injury. Really, anything you can afford will be appreciated.

"So, down to business. Since you are obviously not in medical emergency, I'm going to have to ask you to strip down to undergarments before I open this cage, and everything can be given to Bremol" he says, gesturing to the large man standing in the corner. "If you are unwilling to do this, I'm afraid I won't be able to help you."

Toliudar
2013-03-28, 01:04 PM
Kel

"Nothing much worth stealing, really."

The big man shrugged, and immediately started lifting off bags, belts, weapons and bits of armour, handing each in turn to Bremol.

"Thanks."

Kel seems unconcerned by the presence of the 16-year-old - or the other people in their beds. Life was too short. The whole process of taking everything off consumes a couple of minutes, especially when it came time to reach around for the straps at the sides of his breastplate. Whoof! That club had hit him harder than he thought.

Once Kel's skin was exposed, evidence bore that out. In the hours since his brief scuffle, the bruise from Severmall's club had spread halfway across his chest, and black and purple mingled under a mat of dark, coarse hair. There were dozens of other scars and pockmarks across his body as well - evidence that most medical attention he'd received was less organized than this.

"I gotta be gone by sunup, but got nowhere I got to be tonight. You get to me whenever you want."

limejuicepowder
2013-03-28, 08:25 PM
The doctor's bushy grey eyebrows raise slightly when he sees the bruise on your chest. "That's quite a shot you took. I daresay that if you hadn't had that armor and layers of unwashed clothes, you might not be standing here now." He winks and smiles to show he's joking. Getting up, he takes a set of keys off of his belt and unlocks the gate. "C'mon in and take a seat on that first bed to the right."

You hear the gate close and lock behind you. Now that the bars aren't obstructing your view, you get a better look at the room. Quite narrow relative to it's length, the room is long enough for approximately 10 beds on each side, with ample room in between each one. Each bed has a window above it, though the windows are covered by a grate with very small holes. You'd guess that this room is very sunny in the day time, though now it's lit by several oil lanterns. Though at first glance the central table seemed to be chaotically strewn with medical supplies, it's really quite orderly.

His back to you, the physician collects some items from the table then comes to your bed. He dumps the items on a small table by the foot of the bed, then grabs a stool and set it in front of you. "Let's take a look" he says, sitting down.

Taking your wrist in his right hand, he gently lifts your arm so it's nearly straight out. He then probes your side and shoulder with his other hand, never pressing too hard. After a few moments, he says "Well the good news is I don't think anything is broken. It's just one of the ugliest bruises I've ever seen." Letting go of your arm, he reaches for some of the items he set on the bed table - a small jar with a wax stopper, something flat wrapped in paper, and a large roll of cloth. Taking the stopper out of the jar, he begins to rub the contents over the bruised area - the ointment is almost odorless, but a soothing chill sets in wherever he applies it. As he works, he talks.

"Curious about our security? I'm guessing you're a newcomer to our charming city, so I'm guessing you don't know how much this place is run by gangs. Extortion, drugs, corruption - and fighting. Fortunately for my gold purse, they just love to make attempts on each other's lives. Not one to takes sides, I patch up anyone who comes in that door. Sometimes though, someone will come to finish what they started. Thus, I put up the gate, mesh the window against arrows, and hire men like Bremol."

Putting the stopper back in the ointment jar, he unwraps the paper package to reveal large leaves with some kind of mixture spread on them. He takes two of the leaves and presses them against your skin. Unlike the ointment, they smell very strong, though not unpleasant. The smell reminds you of a spice cupboard. Due to the ointment, the leaves stick quite firmly to your skin. Finally, he takes the roll of cloth and wraps nearly your entire torso.

"I know that ointment feels pretty good right now, but in a few minutes that's going to wear off and you're going to feel the leaves - it's going to burn. Keep it on as long as you can, then strip everything off and wash it with lots of water. Get as much sleep as you can." Smiling, he shakes your hand. "My name is Trant - Johann Trant. I'll call this visit on the house - though donations are always appreciated" he says with another wink. "Once your back in the cage Bremol will give you your belongings."

Toliudar
2013-03-28, 10:02 PM
Kel

Kel manages a faint smile at the doctor's joke about dirty clothes. He moves meekly through the opened door of the cage, and sits passively through the application of the poultice.

"Kel Denom. Good to meet you. All of you. This is a real decent place you got here. Clean. Well, cleaner'n me. If you ever need any help against them bas'ards, you kin count on me.

"And, uh, you don't need to tell me about how much gangs are runnin' this place."

He glances down at the bruise on his chest.

The doctor's talk about money made the big man think about how many of the coins he still had with him. Ten? Fifteen? He couldn't even remember denominations. If he was going to make it back here around other people, he'd have to smarten up, and fast. Stick with those guys, Finnegan and Tomra, maybe. They seem to have their brains straightened out.

The medicine in the leaves started to bite into him, and Kel lay back. He clenched his teeth, closed his eyes, and tried to sleep.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-28, 10:20 PM
Clearly, you managed to doze off because you awaken suddenly, in no small amount of discomfort. Your shoulder and chest burns like they were scrubbed with a wire brush dipped in a strong alcohol. Tearing off the bandage, you see that the leaves have turned black.

The girl, probably Johann's daughter, appears by your side with a large bucket of water. Without a word, she quickly peels the leaves off and tosses them aside. She then takes a rag from the bucket and begins to wipe the goo from your chest. Complete relief soon follows as she cleans everything off, though your skin still feels raw. Amazingly, the bruise has faded to a dull yellow, as if it had been healing for weeks.

Daring a quick glance at your face, the girl stands and takes the bucket with her.

Toliudar
2013-03-28, 10:34 PM
Kel

Throughout the process of removing the leaves, Kel keeps a tight, controlled grip on the edges of his cot and says nothing. He tries to offer the young woman a reassuring smile, but fears that it more closely approximated a death grimace. When she finishes, he sinks back into the little bed in relief.

"Thanks. You're real good at that."

Kel does indeed marvel at the effectiveness of the treatment. After a few minutes, he swings his legs up and stands. He had no idea how close it was to dawn, but he didn't want to risk being late to meet Finnegan. Moving just a little unsteadily, he made his way over to Bremol to reclaim his belongings. Kel marvels at how much more easily the putting on goes, now that he can move freely.

Reaching into his belt pouch, he pulls out all but three of the coins remaining, and leaves them in a pathetically small heap on Johann's desk.

Back to the stables where Ferny is kept, then. If it turns out to be nowhere near dawn, Kel will simply sit down somewhere at the stables to nap. Otherwise, he'll get her prepped and head off early for the gate.

limejuicepowder
2013-03-30, 07:22 AM
Kel: It's still fully dark out, and even though you dozed off for a bit, you'd guess dawn is still a few hours away. Enough time to get back to the inn for some more sleep, thankfully.

When you arrive at the Silver Vein, all of the lights are out except for a small lantern above the main door. There's a faint glow from the lower windows - probably from the hearth. Walking past the main door to the stables, you are greeted by a voice from the darkness "Who goes there? This is private property." A small flare and a lantern is lit. The light reveals an ugly, misshapen bald man wearing a large black cloak. When he sees your face, he relaxes. "Ey remember you. Coming for your horse already? Dawn is still 3 hours away."

Settling in to some clean hay, you go to sleep.

All: Dawn comes all too soon, rays of light blasting though comfortable sleep. Smells of good cooking make getting up easy though. Collecting items and gearing up for the day, you meet in the stables before setting out. The city is already awake with people traveling to work, mostly walking northwest towards the Mining District.

The walk to the East Gate is a pleasant one, going up Nimal in to the market, then taking a right on to Grand Ave. All of the gates in the city face north or south, but this one is referred to as "east" because it's the right-most gate. The gate is unsurprisingly closed, and there is a large guard station to the left.

Standing near the guard station is the barmaid. Today she is clad in studded leather armor, a backpack, and boots with heavy buckles. Two bandoleers cross her chest, each sporting a number of pockets, knives, and even some handbombs. A shortsword hangs at her side.

"Good morning gentleman" she says with a smirk.

OOC

Sorry for the delay, and thank you for your patience (especially Realms of Chaos). Had a skiing trip yesterday and didn't have much opportunity to post anything.

Toliudar
2013-03-31, 12:07 AM
Kel

As the stableman - whose name, Kel was sad to realize, he had heard and then promptly forgotten - began his morning routines, Kel roused to wakefulness, reaching for an axe on his chest. Too many years of unexpected noises meaning death around the corner.

"Thanks for taking good care of her. If I'm not dead, I'll probably bring her back at nightfall."

Nodding, Kel double-checked the straps, and then walked ahead of Ferny out into the grey pre-dawn light.

--

At the East Gate, Kel was brought up short by the presence of the barmaid, but only briefly. Up in the mountains, the best survivor he'd ever met was a seventy year old woman who'd lived for three years, moving among a group of rooftops and tree forts, living off of potatoes and squirrels. This new world brought out unexpected things in folk.

"Morning, ma'am. Um. What's your name, again?"

He looked over at Finnegan with a nod.

"Ready."

limejuicepowder
2013-03-31, 05:53 AM
"I never gave you my name." she replies. "I've had less careful friends, but not any more. For now, you can call me Brillian."

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-31, 11:22 PM
Leading Duchess along to the gate, Finnegan is the last to reach the stone walls. Seeing the barmaid, Finnegan smiles as the confirmation of his suspicions. "All right then, everyone," he says as he arrives, taking out his passes, "let's get this show on the road. Kel. Brillian. We're just doin' a quick sweep inside the valley. North three miles to the river bed and back southeast by sunset. It's a full day no matter how fast we move so keep your eyes and ears open and keep your wits about you."

Toliudar
2013-03-31, 11:49 PM
Kel

"Got it. So...what do these flowers look like?"

Kel nods, trying to visualize the terrain being covered and what they'd be searching for. As soon as they were through the gate, he mounted up and slid naturally into a lead position, unless one of the others preferred to do so.

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-01, 08:49 AM
Finnegan opens his mouth to speak before his face almost seems to implode. Oh, right, forgot that. Coughing to regain his composure, Finnegan smiles and turns to Brillian, "That would be a good question for Brillian, I think. You did after all, claim you knew the best spots before I told you what type of flowers. What can you tell us about Bartella and Night Lady?"

Using traveller's insight to make the Knowledge (nature) checks as Finnegan wracks his memory for those names.
Bartella[roll0]
Night Lady[roll1]

Edit: I actually forgot a +2 bonus to both of those rolls so 20 and 17.

limejuicepowder
2013-04-01, 12:33 PM
Brillian, walking on foot besides Duchess, either didn't notice the expression on Finnegan's face or pretends to not notice. She glances up at him when questioned. "My mother used to collect herbs in this valley. I've gone with her more than a few times. Bertella is a weed that grows near rivers; there's a spring-fed river running along the east border of the valley. Anywhere along the river is a good place to check, especially where the bank is low enough to flood on occasion. It has almond-shaped leaves, if I remember correctly.

"Night Lady is going to be a bit more difficult - the flowers, which grow on a vine attached to trees, only come out for a few hours right around when the sun sets. We can easily be caught outside the walls in the near-dark. It could be anywhere."

With those knowledge checks feel free to just reference the description given by the merchant. Along with what Brillian told you, Bertella is a low-growing weed with leaves in formations of 5. The underside of a healthy plant has a black line running along the center.

Night Lady is a red vine that favors cherry trees.

2nd spoiler

You should both make listen and spot checks to use for the next hour or two in the wilderness.

Toliudar
2013-04-01, 10:09 PM
Kel nods, seemingly undeterred.

"Flower with almond-shaped leaves. And one that's going to be pretty much impossible to find. Got it."

Geeing his horse slightly, Kel resigned himself to scanning the distance for surprises, relying on the others to actually spot the flowers.

Spot: [roll0] Listen: [roll1]

limejuicepowder
2013-04-03, 08:20 PM
Checks for Finnegan -
spot [roll0]
listen [roll1]

Enjoying the slowly rising sun, the three of you trek carefully but steadily east through the valley. There is no real path to follow, but you travel roughly parallel to the wall of Mavelstown, some few hundred yards away from it. The valley is a lush place, and the trees and bushes have grown tall and strong. By time the sun has fully emerged over the Merich Mountains, you all hear the gushing water of the river Brillian described. Though not wide or deep, the river runs purposefully due south towards the walls of Mavelstown. The opposite side of the river is a steep descent up, nearly a wall of earth marking the base of the mountain.

Keeping within 30 or so feet of the river, you turn north. "The banks are too high here" Brillian says. "We should keep moving and look for flood spots."

It doesn't take much travel north for the river to widen and become more meandering. Near a large bend in the river, the ground becomes almost perfectly flat, leading directly up to the water. Along with some larger bushes, small plants of all sorts dot the area. Brillian exclaims "This looks perfect; spread out and look for some Bertella."

A second later, Brillian does a double take like something caught her eye. "Looks like it's our lucky day." Jogging up to a large oak tree, she points at a twisting vine clinging to the bark. "This is Night Lady, and a healthy one at that. The flowers won't come out for many hours, but we should remember to come back. Anyone have any bright ideas how to mark the locations of trees with Night Lady on them?"

Make search checks to look for bertella in the area. You can of course take 20 on the roll if you want to devote the time.

Toliudar
2013-04-03, 10:01 PM
Kel can't make head or tail of which vines are the 'right' ones, but he surely knows how to mark a trail.

Remaining on horseback, Kel moves up next to the tree. He pulls one of the axes from his vest and carefully makes two quick cuts, one diagonally down and one diagonally up, creating a gleaming patch of fresh wood to mark their passage.

"There. At this height, it won't catch most folks' eye, but we'll know to look for them on the way back. I'll start doing this every few hundred feet, if you like."

limejuicepowder
2013-04-04, 05:59 AM
"Hmm" Brillian says, making an unimpressed face. "It's probable that we're going to have to find these trees at dusk. How good is your night vision?"

Toliudar
2013-04-04, 10:17 AM
Kel

Kel shrugs.

"Hey, this is how I used to do it back home. What do you want me to do, set the tree on fire?"

limejuicepowder
2013-04-04, 12:33 PM
She laughs. "I don't have any better ideas, I just like to criticize. If I think of something, I'll be sure to let you know."

With that, she turns away from Kel and begins to search the muddy ground near the river.

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-04, 07:06 PM
Search check:[roll0]

"Let's keep the fire down to a minimum," huffs Finnegan as he searches by the riverbanks, "I hear them rotters are drawn to destruction like... well... moths to a flame."

limejuicepowder
2013-04-04, 07:38 PM
search check for Brillian: [roll0]

While Kel keeps watch, Finnegan and Brillian search the riverbank for plants. It takes about 30 minutes to cover the flood plain thoroughly, but it proves to be time well spent: 12 bertella plants are in the sack, ready to be exchanged for gold.

The sun now fully in the sky, the three of you move on up the river.

It's going to be terribly tedious to stop and manually search every flood plain and mud hole adjacent to the river, so I'm going to fast forward a bit. There's 6 promising places along the river to search, so if it's OK with you guys just make some search checks and I'll tell you what you get. The checks will also apply towards finding some night lady vines in the area.

Toliudar
2013-04-05, 03:27 AM
Kel

As the day wears on, Kel finds a brief period for reflection in amongst all the nervous glancing about.

"So, this area seems fertile enough, and I sure got a sense that there was a shortage of food round here. So I'm guessing this ain't bein used for farms because herds of the dead keep walkin on through?"

Kel, search checks as desired:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

limejuicepowder
2013-04-05, 06:31 AM
Brillian frowns slightly, and all but raises an eyebrow. "One wonders where the food comes from. I've never seen farm land, and at the Silver Vein at least we've never had a shortage of meat. Still, it's there, so I don't complain."

Brillian's search checks
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

I'd also like to assure you that the search checks DO mean something; I'm not just pulling numbers out of the air. Basically, each spot has several "thresholds" of search DC's with an associated amount of plant. The highest roll in the group determines the total number of plants you collect from the particular area.

Ex: an area may have DC's of 16, 23, and 28. DC 16 yields 5 plants, 23 gives 7, and 28 gives 9 (the DC does not affect the amount of plants, and it changes from area to area). If the best search check is 21, you would get 5 plants.

Toliudar
2013-04-05, 09:07 AM
Kel nodded. He knew enough of the multitude of sins that could be covered under the term 'meat' that asking further questions was not going to make anyone happier.

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-05, 10:36 AM
"Never under-estimate human ingenuity, friends. Put us in the worst of conditions and we'll figure a way to come out on top with profit to boot. Hell, look at us."

search checks
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

limejuicepowder
2013-04-06, 07:12 AM
The next several hours are spent plodding along the river, walking and searching through mud, rocks, and fallen tree branches. By early afternoon, the party has reached the northern boundary of the valley where the river is fed from a waterfall high on the cliff face. In total, 53 prime and healthy bertella plants were collected, and 2 night lady vines were located. A good morning of work to be sure.

Sitting down on a flat rock that hasn't been sprayed with water, Brillian says "I hope you two are in to resting, cause I'm starving." She then takes a small parcel wrapped in a cloth from her back pack and unwraps in, revealing a chunk of bread, some hard cheese, and a slice of cured meat. She digs in with gusto.

Even though you are all just sitting still, Ferny and Duchess stir suddenly, whinnying in agitation. Something they don't like is close. A moment later, despite the sounds of the waterfall and the thick underbrush -

Finnegan

You hear something in the underbrush some 30 feet away. It sounds like crawling, and whatever it is it's definitely trying to be stealthy. A second later, you hear more similar sounds from other directions: 4 in all. Between the cliff at your back and the river to your left, the sounds have you nearly surrounded.

Kel

Peering in to the relative gloom of the plant cover, willing the green leaves to reveal their secrets, you catch movement: a shadow within a shadow. Something grey, something on all fours.....then you see it again slipping past a tree, this time with a better look: wolves, 2 of them.

Toliudar
2013-04-07, 02:58 AM
Ferny

"Ferny!"

Kel's nostrils flare as he casts about for the source of the consternation. He is already moving toward the horse, leaping up into the saddle in one smooth motion. Somehow, in the blur of motion, a small axe has ended up held aloft in his right hand.

"Wolves, two of them. Stay together, present as a large target. It discourages them most of the time."

Unless they're really hungry.

This is assuming, of course, that Ferny is not tied up. If she is, then there's some added complexity there.

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-07, 03:12 PM
Finnegan draws forth his crossbow and loads a single bolt into it before trying to untie Duchess with a single hand. Much as he hated to admit it, the horse was of far more help in battle than Finnegan ever was and letting her move freely could only improve their odds.

limejuicepowder
2013-04-07, 07:29 PM
With a sudden serious of barks and howls, wolves explode out of the surrounding terrain: 7 in all. They have formed a quarter-circle around the party, forming an effective perimeter. Their mouths are drawn in to hideous snarls, revealing long yellow fangs. With a commanding bark from the largest in the group, they charge.

I'll try to explain the "combat grid" as best I can.

The party is essentially in the northeast corner of the valley; since you are currently facing south, the river is to the left. The cliff wall runs due west, to the right (and perpendicular to the river).

From the edge of the river to the edge of the forest is about 30 feet wide, and extends from the cliff face about 60 ft before the forest cuts closer to the river. This open area is extremely rocky and treacherous; treat it as difficult terrain (Kel you may retroactively dismount if you feel it would be better on foot, considering the terrain).

Brillian is sitting on a flat rock nearest the waterfall. Kel is 15 feet away from her, straight down the river. Finnegan and Duchess are 10 feet away from her in a southwesterly direction.

There are 3 wolves, adjacent to one another, on the tree line directly west of Finnegan's position. This puts them 20 feet away from him. 2 more wolves are 20 south of them, and 10 away from the tree line towards the river. This group is 25 feet from Kel and Ferny. The last 3 wolves are 20 feet further south from the second group, and exactly in between the river and trees. They are about 30 feet from Kel.

Roll initiative, and a spot check

Initiative and spot check for Brillian -
ini - [roll0]
spot - [roll1]

edit: I suppose that initiative check is appropriate, since she's currently eating :)

limejuicepowder
2013-04-07, 08:11 PM
Whoops I guess I should include initiative rolls for the wolves as well. They'll act as three units as laid out in the combat description

Group 1 (northern most): [roll0]

Group 2 (middle): [roll1]

Group 3 (southern most): [roll2]

Toliudar
2013-04-08, 10:06 AM
Kel Initiative & Spot: [roll0] [roll1]

Toliudar
2013-04-08, 10:16 AM
Kel

A cold sweat breaks out on Kel as he sees how many wolves there really were. This was a pack - enough to feel bold enough to actually attack people.

Crap.

Hoping to discourage them, Kel whips his axe at the nearest wolf, then wheels Ferny around and guides her into a point between Brillian's rock and Finnegan's horse.

"Okay, guys. Let's stay together. Don't let them surround you."

Standard action: throwing at the nearest wolf. Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Move action: draw waraxe
Free: guide Ferny to fill the gap between Duchess and Brillian.

Kel is currently AC 18 (no shield) and HP 19.

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-08, 03:10 PM
Initiative [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

Slipping a bolt into the crossbow, Finnegan desparately messes with Dutchess' reins, trying to free her.

Move Action: Load Crossbow
Standard Action: Try to detach Dutchess from cart? I admit that I don't really know how my horse would be pulling a cart (or much about horse-drawn transport at all), especially while wearing barding. If it's as simple as slipping a bit out of its mouth or slipping a saddle off, that shouldn't be much problem. If it involves undoing a bunch of difficult straps, I don't know if it might be simple but lengthy (like removing armor) or short but difficult (use rope check?). In any case, I'm trying use rope. Let me know if something else is necessary.
[roll2]

limejuicepowder
2013-04-08, 04:33 PM
Kel's ax whistles through the air, but doesn't even muss the fir of its target. It does elicit more growls, however. Huffing in agitation - and aggression - , Ferny nonetheless allows himself to be guided, stumbling slightly on the loose rocks. As Kel and Ferny draw along side Duchess, the wolves spring forward on the attack.

The first group, closest to Finnegan, rush forward, 2 of the wolves going after Duchess and 1 after Finnegan.

The other two groups chase after Kel and Ferny. The closer of the two groups bound the distance in an instant, jaws snapping at Ferny's legs. The last 3 wolves are hot on the second group's heels, but don't attack anyone yet.

Attacks against Duchess
[roll0] damage [roll1] trip [roll2]
[roll3] damage [roll4] trip [roll5]
trip defense, respectively [roll6], [roll7]

Attack against Finnegan
[roll8] damage [roll9] trip [roll10]

Attacks against Ferny
[roll11] damage [roll12] trip [roll13]
[roll14] damage [roll15] trip [roll16]
trip defense, respectively [roll17], [roll18]

I didn't realize Finnegan had taken his entire wagon; I had assumed he'd left it in the stable. Honestly, it would have been nearly impossible to get the wagon through the woods.

Since this creates an odd situation (you assumed you had your wagon, and I'm saying you couldn't have), I'm going to explain a couple of options and leave the decision to you.

1) Bring the wagon with you. We'll sweep the difficulty of travel under the rug until the party starts to travel again if you choose this option. However, this brings up what to do with Duchess in the battle.
1A) I too know almost nothing about how a horse attaches to a wagon, though I have a hunch that it takes more than 6 seconds to undue it. I'll rule it takes 2 full round actions.
1B) If you leave Duchess attached, she may still fight in a hindered state. She may strike at any of the 3 squares directly in front of her (currently, there is a wolf in the right-most square). She takes a -2 penalty to her attacks due to being constrained. Additionally, she looses her dexterity to AC against any attacks (since she's currently attached, factor this in to the attacks above). If you go with this route, she'll attack (if possible) on your initiative, and you may roll for her.

2) Don't bring the wagon. If you decide to do this, you may take any gear from your wagon you want and add it to your person since Finnegan would have prepared to not have his wagon when he left. Carrying capacity still applies of course. Duchess may fight freely and will act when you do, as above.

OK one last edit and spoiler

I've decided just now that crossbows may be fired (but not loaded) without drawing attacks of opportunity. After all, firing a crossbow is about as easy as pulling a trigger, so it doesn't exactly leave openings for your opponent. Consider this a new houserule.

limejuicepowder
2013-04-08, 04:43 PM
Her food flying as she jumps to her feet, Brillian dashes to the right to attack the wolves from behind. Drawing a shortsword as she nimbly hops over the rocks, she swings it in a vicious arc at the wolf that tried to bite Finnegan.

attack [roll0] confirm [roll1] damage [roll2]
sneak attack [roll3]

spot [roll4]

"There's something wrong with these wolves!" Brillian screams. "I think they're sick!"

With a closer look, you both see that the wolves do look ill; long of tendrils of foamy drool fall from their mouths, and what should be keen and intelligent eyes are cloudy grey.

Toliudar
2013-04-08, 10:04 PM
Kel

Kel is trying to stay stable on Ferny's back as she darts away from the snapping jaws of the wolves. Brillian's observation, apt though it was, did not improve either their prospects or Kel's attitude.

"So...don't let them bite you? Good advice."

With that, he risked opening up his defenses long enough to reach back and slide his shield onto his arm. He clamps hold of Ferny with his thighs, and swings at the two wolves with his axe.

Both attacks on Ferny miss, but not by much! Good thing, too, because those trip attempts would have been nasty to try to beat.

Swift action: enter punishing stance.
Move action: put on shield.
Standard action: Steel wind maneuver to strike at both wolves.
Wolf 1 attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] and punishing stance bonus damage: [roll2]
Wolf 2 attack: [roll3] Damage: [roll4] and punishing stance bonus damage: [roll5]
Kel is now AC 20 (including shield and penalty from punishing stance), HP 19.

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-09, 08:58 AM
I'm going with option "don't have cart". I can't imagine much I'd need from it, bringing it out here would've been very difficult as you said, and detaching the thing would be very inconvenient.

Shaking off the wolves and taking a step back from the nearest one before firing his crossbow, Finnegan turns to his horse, "Dutchess. Kill."

Free action: 5-foot step
Move action: handle animal [roll0]
Standard action: Attack [roll1] [roll2] (anyone else attacking the same wolf gets +1 to the attack roll this round)

limejuicepowder
2013-04-09, 10:32 PM
Kel's ax cleaves two of the wolves dead, but the next three leap forward to take their place. Their slavering jaws snap at Ferny's legs.

attack [roll0] damage [roll1] trip [roll2]
attack [roll3] damage [roll4] trip [roll5]
attack [roll6] damage [roll7] trip [roll8]

Ferny's defense against trips, if necessary (respectively)
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

Finnegan's bolt misses the wolf and goes streaking off in to the trees, narrowly missing Brillian. Eclipsing the sound of howling wolves, Duchess shrieks in anger, and flails with her great iron-clad hooves.

Sorry Fin but you can't 5-foot step in difficult terrain. I did rule though that firing a crossbow does not draw an AoO

Duchess' attacks, aimed at the center wolf.
attack [roll12] damage [roll13]
attack [roll14] damage [roll15]

Howling in anger, the wolves press the attack against Duchess and Finnegan.

If Duchess kills one of the wolves, ignore the second attack against her (she must do at least 14 damage)

Against Duchess -
attack [roll16] damage [roll17] trip [roll18]
attack [roll19] damage [roll20] trip [roll21]

trip defense -
[roll22]
[roll23]

Against Finnegan -
attack [roll24] damage [roll25] trip [roll26]

If the wolf hits roll trip defense at the beginning of your next turn.

Brillian swings her sword at the same wolf

attack [roll27] confirm [roll28] damage [roll29]
sneak attack [roll30]

Results

Ferny takes 3 damage but easily avoids the trip
Duchess kills one of the wolves
Brillian hits but does not kill the wolf attacking Finnegan.

Alright a quick description of the current battlefield -
Kel riding Ferny is currently facing south and fighting 3 wolves. They are arranged in a line in the 3 squares in front of Ferny.

About 10 ft northwest of Ferny's position is Duchess, who is facing west. Immediately west of Duchess is a wolf.

10 ft to the north of Duchess is Finnegan, and immediately west of his position is a wolf. On the other side of this wolf is Brillian.

Toliudar
2013-04-10, 04:07 PM
Kel

Kel speaks soothingly to Ferny after the wolf nips her leg.

"Shhh. There's a good girl. Attagirl."

He glances back at Finnegan and Brillian, who seemed to be holding their own. Well, he had more pressing issues to deal with anyway.

Kel lifted his axe with a flourish and brought it down towards the spine of one of the wolves. No use trying for subtlety right about now.

Standard action attack in order to refresh maneuvers.

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] plus [roll2] from Punishing Stance.

Kel is AC 20, HP 19. Ferny is AC 14 and HP 27/30.

Edit: Well, at least it wasn't a 1. :smallsmile:

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-11, 11:21 AM
Dropping the crossbow and drawing his longsword, slashing down at the nearest wolf and trusting his horse to keep up the work.

Free action: drop crossbow
Move action: draw longsword
Attack [roll0] [roll1]

Not certain if I have to order Dutchess to keep attacking each round. Assuming not for now.

limejuicepowder
2013-04-11, 01:54 PM
Finnegan's sword catches the already injured wolf in the shoulder, and the mad animal falls to the ground. On the other side of the battle field, the three wolves press the attack against Ferny

attack [roll6] damage [roll7] trip [roll8]

Ferny's trip resist
attack [roll9]
attack [roll10]
attack [roll11]

Duchess and a wolf continue to duke it out with hoof and fang

Duchess' attacks
attack [roll12] damage [roll13]
attack [roll14] damage [roll15]

Wolf counterattack

attack [roll16] damage [roll17] trip [roll18]

trip defense
attack [roll19]

Results
Ferny takes 4 more damage, an laughs at the trip attempt.
Though the wolf makes a valiant effort, he is unable to bite Duchess before she beat his brains in.

limejuicepowder
2013-04-11, 02:01 PM
Stumbling on the rocks, Brillian calls "Come on Fin! Kel needs us!" Seeing she isn't going to get close enough for her sword, she draws a dagger as she moves and launches it at the closest wolf.

attack [roll0] damage [roll1]

Results and update
Dagger misses badly.

Kel and Ferny are in the same place, as are the three wolves they are facing. Brillian is 15 ft west of Kel. Duchess and Finnegan are in the same place as well, though their opponents have fallen.

Toliudar
2013-04-11, 04:53 PM
Kel

Now Ferny is pissed. Kel struggles to maintain his place in the saddle as she kicks and bites at the offending wolf, while he tries to line up a stroke with his axe.

Full attack by Ferny on one of the wolves on the side.
Hoof: [roll0] [roll1]
Hoof: [roll2] [roll3]
Bite: [roll4] [roll5]

Ride DC 10 check to allow Kel to also attack: [roll6]

If the above roll is 10 or higher, Kel will again use Steel Wind to strike at the other two wolves.
Attack 1: [roll7] [roll8] plus [roll9] for stance
Attack 2: [roll10] [roll11] plus [roll12] for stance

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-13, 02:37 PM
Making his way to Kel through the undergrowth, Finnegan endeavors to slash at one of the wolves once more.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

limejuicepowder
2013-04-13, 03:52 PM
OOC

Fin I'm assuming you took a flanking position, so your attack hits, dropping the already injured wolf

----------

Despite one of the wolves sporting grave injuries, he and his last ally continue the attack on the enraged Ferny.

trip defense
[roll6]
[roll7]

Brillian closes the distance to the injured wolf and swings her sword

attack [roll8] damage [roll9] sneak attack [roll10]

Results

Misses all the way around.

There are two wolves left, one of them quite injured. Both are facing Ferny. Finnegan is to the southwest of the wolves, Brillian is to the south, and Ferny and Kel are to the north.

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-15, 08:28 PM
Seeing that the battle is close to a conclusion, Finnegan attacks once more, (I don't seem to have killed a wolf in the past round so I'm assuming it's the same one and that I took flanking. If it was slain, moving to the nearest wolf and attacking, flanking if possible)

attack[roll0][roll1]

limejuicepowder
2013-04-15, 09:23 PM
Seeing that the battle is close to a conclusion, Finnegan attacks once more, (I don't seem to have killed a wolf in the past round so I'm assuming it's the same one and that I took flanking. If it was slain, moving to the nearest wolf and attacking, flanking if possible)

attack[roll0][roll1]

OOC

You actually did drop a wolf last round, leaving only 2. This attack kills another, leaving only 1.

I'm going to give Kel until tomorrow to post before moving on.

limejuicepowder
2013-04-16, 07:16 PM
Struggling to maintain seated on the enraged and flailing Ferny, Kel attempts to lash out with his ax.

Ferny's attacks
hoof [roll0] damage [roll1]
hoof [roll2] damage [roll3]
bite [roll4] damage [roll5]

Kel's ride check to attack [roll6]

Full attack, with a swift action to recover maneuvers

attack [roll7] damage [roll8]

Hopefully between the two of them that wolf is toast

limejuicepowder
2013-04-16, 07:30 PM
The last sickly wolf collapses to the ground under the combined onslaught of ax and hoof. Sheathing her sword, Brillian quickly bends down to the examine one of the fallen beasts. Kel slides off Ferny and gently takes her head in his hands in an effort to calm her down. Blood runs freely down her leg and on to the rocks.

"That was one of the oddest things I've seen in a good long while" Brillian says. "I've heard of exceptionally hungry wolf packs attacking humans before, but never a group this big - with 2 horses to boot. They must have been really starving, or really sick."

Taking a closer look, the former option seems possible: the outlines of ribs can be seen on the sides of each animal, and their fur is matted in some places and patchy in others.

Feel free to make whatever skill checks you feel are relevant to what may have caused the wolf attack - know (nature), search, etc.

Toliudar
2013-04-17, 04:06 AM
Once Kel is convinced that no more wolves are going to break from the brush, he jumps down to try to examine Ferny's bite wounds. He is clearly concerned.

"Either of you know anything about cleaning out wounds? If them wolves were sick, I don't want any of that crap getting into Ferny here."

He steadies Ferny, and wipes at the bite.

Unless either Brillian or Finnegan step forward to help, Kel will make an untrained heal check to try to cleanse the wounds: [roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-18, 04:16 PM
Finnegan shakes his head, looking down at the wolves, "Don't know much about first aid, I'm afraid. Incidentally, you might want to sever the heads. I've never heard of animals turning into rotters but better safe than sorry."

limejuicepowder
2013-04-18, 09:43 PM
Ferny is still extremely skittish from the fight, and Kel has a devil of time cleaning and wrapping the wounds. Still, he manages to do an OK job all considering. Ferny then joins Duchess in drinking from the river.

In the mean time, Brillian searches for and finds her thrown dagger, along with Kel's ax. Returning it to him, she says "What's our plan now? I highly doubt we have to worry about more sickly wolves attacking, but I don't exactly relish the idea of sitting out here for another 5 hours, waiting for it to get late enough to pick Night Lady. Do either of you have an idea for what to do next?"

Toliudar
2013-04-19, 04:04 PM
Kel

Kel hikes a finger at Ferny.

"Well, if she's gonna come down with something, it might do me good to know more about where these wolves come from. Do wolves have whatayacallits - dens? Homes? If we can follow them back to some kind of sleeping place without getting stuck in the deep woods, it might tell us something about what made em sick."

Hefting his axe with a series of carefully positioned strikes, Kel methodically decapitates each of the wolves.

Realms of Chaos
2013-04-22, 03:23 PM
"You think there's any real mystery?" Finnegan asks softly, looking over the dead, "You think those carnivores decided to eat some odd weeds or something? Nah, this is the doing of the dead. Either they tried to feed on the flesh or caught some disease from them or who knows what else. We trace them back and at best we'll find some corpses when we've got seven right here. At worst we find more of them rotters and fight for our lives once more. Grab a paw or something from one of them wolves and show it to a healer if your horse grows ill. We've got a few hours out here but it's best to keep low and out of sight."

limejuicepowder
2013-05-01, 06:32 AM
Sorry for the delay folks. The forums being down killed my momentum, and then I had a very busy last few days. I'd like to get the ball rolling again and actually kill some zombies.

The three of you quickly dispose the dead wolves, beheading each and throwing the bodies in to the woods. Brillian insists on this, saying that leaving them so close to Mavelstown's drinking water is a bad idea. Collecting some of the items dropped from the surprise attack, the party settles in to wait for dusk.

The time passes slowly. Under another set of circumstances, it would be a nice day. Waiting on edge, ears and eyes straining for the any sound, any movement in the underbrush, makes the afternoon a torture. The sun crawls across the sky, at times never seeming to get any closer to the mountain peaks. The sounds of running water and insects fills the air. The droning back round noise fills your minds, doing nothing to help the time pass more quickly.

Finally, the valley grows darker, only lit by indirect sunlight shining over the surrounding hills. Saddling up, the party goes south as quickly as the terrain will allow.

The first marked tree with Night Lady you find easily. The white buds are just beginning to bloom as you all approach. Despite yourselves, no one can help watch as the flowers open up right before your eyes - and a beautiful it is. Purest white, with long and narrow petals and a deep red center. After a mere few minutes, the vine sits in all its glory, 9 flowers decorating its twists.

Transfixed as you are by the blooming flowers, none of you at first realize what you hear. The sounds of humming are just audible over the sounds of the river.....a child's humming, a tuneless sound of innocence. Turning around to find the source, you all see a young girl step out from behind a tree. She is traveling parallel to you, and all you can see is her right side. Golden blond hair cascades over her face. Her clothes are ripped and dirty, her feet bare. Despite being in the wilderness, she seems at ease, slowly skipping through the underbrush, humming as she goes.

Make will saving throws.

You guys are on one side of a clearing that opens on to the river. The river is about 50 feet to the left, and the girl is about 30 feet away on the other side of the clearing. The clearing extends another 20 feet to the right. The ground is flat, with low weeds covering the flood plane.

Brillian's save [roll0]

Toliudar
2013-05-05, 12:33 AM
Kel will save, using Moment of Perfect Mind: [roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2013-05-05, 10:12 PM
Finnegan Will save [roll0]

limejuicepowder
2013-05-06, 06:22 AM
Sorry, I should have asked for a listen check as well. To expedite things, I'll just roll it here.

Kel [roll0]
Finnegan [roll1] ------- Fin has been fascinated, hence the penalty
Brillian [roll2] --------- same

Kel since you are the only one who made the save, you get the opportunity to act - 1 standard action. Since you still failed the listen check though, I'm not giving that info quite yet.

Toliudar
2013-05-06, 09:27 AM
Kel

Since this nightmare of undead began, Kel had faced four things with large claws. Two things with hideous, deformed mouths full of teeth. An angry mob of thugs. And more dead people than he could count at the moment. And he was still alive. But this...this kid was freaky. Maybe awakened, maybe something weirder still. All in all, bad news.

With a bit of showiness, Kel brought his axe ready to hand. He wanted to start out with something not-so-threatening, but couldn't for the life of him think of what to say to her. Mostly, at this point, he just wanted to see all of her face.

"Uh, hey kid! Uh, hello! Do you know if that stream's water is safe to drink?"

Standard action to refresh his maneuvers.

limejuicepowder
2013-05-06, 12:19 PM
Completely ignoring Kel's question, the girl continues to slowly move parallel to the group's position, humming along in time with her movements. There is something enchanting about it, something magical. Finnegan and Brillian stand transfixed by her, caught up in the song and dance.

After a short moment, Brillian suddenly shakes her head violently, as if woken up with cold water. She whirls around, saying "Did you hear that?" The effect broken, all 3 of you turn. Peering in to the deepening gloom of the forest, 2 shapes can be seen closing in on your position...2 humanoid shapes.

A roar breaks out behind you, a child's roar of displeasure. At the end of the scream, her voice changes dramatically - deep and echoing. Now fully facing the group, you can see that most of her face is burned and blackened. Her eyes have taken a horrible bulging look as a result of most of the skin being burned away. She then begins to sing in the language of the dead -

So pretty, so frail
I watch your body turning pale
So fragile, so weak
I didn't want to be this freak

A faint shimmer begins to rise from the girl, as if looking at her through heat waves off of stone. With a crash of twigs and branches, the 2 shapes dart forward.

Same field as before, except there are 2 bogeys 15 ft away directly opposite the girl, on the party's other side.

Roll Initiative

Toliudar
2013-05-06, 05:53 PM
Kel

"Gah!"

Shambling masses of rotting flesh bursting out of the woods...that, Kel had dealt with before. It wasn't pleasant, but it was somehow manageable. But this kid freaked him the hells out!

Kel forced his feet to stay put and not back away. This was going to give him nightmares for a very long time.

Initiative: [roll0]

limejuicepowder
2013-05-06, 06:48 PM
Boring post, but Brillian needs an initiative roll
[roll0]

Realms of Chaos
2013-05-07, 11:01 AM
Rolling the 'nitiative: [roll0]

Finnegan curses to himself as he considers the obvious rotters at the scene. This wasn't going to be easy but Fin felt fairly safe in his odds... at least at the moment.

limejuicepowder
2013-05-07, 11:47 AM
Initiative
girl - [roll0]

unknown 1 - [roll1]

unknown 2 - [roll2]

Order -
Girl
Brillian
Finnegan
Kel
unknown 2
unknown 1

Her voice getting deeper still, the undead girl continues to sing.

soul ripper, soul stripper
bind your hands excruciate her
start bleeding, stop breathing
it is done, I am leaving

As she sings, she moves about 10 feet west (directly away from the river) and disappears behind some bushes. Her haunting, awful voice gives away her precise location - but she is protected by ranged attacks.

Brillian yells "I'll get the baby freak! You two trash whatever's in the woods - don't let them meet up!" She says this while dashing towards the clump of bushes, drawing her rapier as she goes.

Toliudar
2013-05-07, 01:47 PM
Kel

As soon as Brillian speaks, Kel shakes his head. That little girl was freaky. No one should be facing her alone. He glances over at Finnegan.

"If you don't go after her, I will."

I know that this is out of sequence, but Kel's options are fairly clear, and this might be my only chance to post for a bit.

If Finnegan also moves to engage the girl, Kel will enter punishing stance, move up to the two other figures while drawing his shield, and (unless they seem to be living humans) use Steel Wind to attack both of them.
Attack 1: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]+[roll2]
Attack 2: [roll3] Damage: [roll4]+[roll5]

If Finnegan doesn't move to attack the girl, Kel will enter punishing stance, move around the tree while putting on his shield, and attack (if he can) or move up adjacent to her (if he can't attack).
Attack: [roll6] Damage: [roll7]+[roll8]

limejuicepowder
2013-05-11, 08:15 AM
Sorry Realms but I want to get this moving again

Drawing his sword and readying his shield as he moves, Finnegan dashes across the small flood plane, hot on the heels of Brillian. "I'll help her! Goo' luck with the rotters!" he calls.

Plunging in to the woods, Finnegan finds Brillian and the girl squared off in combat. Brillian's sword is pointed directly at the girl's head, and the girl has her small hands raised, fingers hooked like claws. Neither seems to have injured the other. As Finnegan runs up behind the girl, he notices that Brillian's eyes seem glassy and out of focus. She shakes her head as if trying to clear it.

---

Kel bounds in to the woods towards the dark shapes. Eyes taking a second to adjust to the gloom, he then sees the creatures in better detail -

Both are men, or used to be. The one on the left is tall, with filthy long brown hair. His left cheek is torn off, exposing his rotted teeth. More noticeably though, he is clad in black full plate armor. The armor appears dull, as if it was burned. However, it occasionally twinkles oddly, as if reflecting a beam of light.

The man on the right is short and rather rotund. His face looks quite ordinary, with a scrubby brown beard and ruddy face. His torso gives him away; the man had been disemboweled, his innards exposed through a massive slash to his gut. On second glance, Kel also notices a curved pair of goat horns coming out of the man's head.

Kel raises his ax and swings it in a ferocious arc.

Attack against the armored rotter misses

Attack against the other one cleaves him terribly, and he drops.

Taking no note of his fallen ally, the armored undead raises a heavy mace and swings it.

attack [roll0] confirm [roll1] damage [roll2]

And then back to the top of the order

Edit: whoops, I forgot about the buff the girl used. +2 to all of those rolls.

The girl glances over her shoulder, taking note of Finnegan. She then ducks and rolls to the side, attempting to get out from in between Fin and Brill.

tumble check [roll3]

edit for results: she avoids the AoO since Brillian is dazed.

Now 10 feet away and out of reach, the girl open her mouth wide and screams; the scream seems to rend the air. Finnegan swears he can see the sound waves coming from the girl's mouth. The ground beneath his feet begins to shake violently.

Fin and Brill make a ref save against DC 14; failure means you're tripped. I'll roll for Brill in the next post.

limejuicepowder
2013-05-11, 08:27 AM
Brillian's save [roll0]

limejuicepowder
2013-05-11, 08:30 AM
Easily keeping her feet despite the shaking, Brillian closes to swords distance once again and swings.

[roll0] damage [roll1]

Alrighty we're back to Finnegan again. I'll give another day or two.

Toliudar
2013-05-12, 12:19 AM
Kel

Kel's cry of pain is muffled by his clenched teeth as the armoured figure's sword thrust bites into his thigh, just under the protection of his breastplate. He spares barely a glance at the tubby rotter as he falls, merely making a mental note to return to finish the job properly in a moment - if he was still alive. The other rotter was huge, and he'd never faced off against anyone who'd been wearing that kind of protection. He wasn't sure how good he'd be at getting past it.

Well, one way to find out. Kel tried to focus on what looked like a weak spot, up by the neck, and swung for it.

"Awright you big lumbering git. Be a good boy and lie down."

I doubt that Realms' post would materially affect Kel's options, so I'll go ahead and post.

Standard action attack: [roll0] Confirm: [roll1] Damage: [roll2].

limejuicepowder
2013-05-17, 06:06 AM
Closing the distance to the girl once again, Finnegan swings his sword with cruel intentions.

attack [roll0] damage [roll1]

On the other side of the battlefield, the armored undead trades vicious blows with Kel. His heavy mace whistles through the ever-darkening air.

attack [roll2] confirm [roll3] damage [roll4]

Hissing in anger, the girl ducks, turns, and dashes further in to the woods directly away from the river. Brillian quickly gives chase, yelling to Finnegan "she's probably circling around to meet up with the other group! Stay on her!"

results

Finnegan hits, but the girl isn't down yet. The armored undead misses.

Toliudar
2013-05-17, 11:39 AM
Kel

"I'll keep an eye out for her!"

Grunting as the big man's mace slams into his shield, making his left arm tingle, Kel adjusts his footing and looks for another opening in the big man's masses of iron.

Standard action attack to replenish his maneuvers:

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] plus [roll2] from punishing stance.

Kel is now AC 20 and HP 10/19.