Agent of Renunciation, God of Second Chances
Intermediate Deity
Symbol: A mirror
Alignment: True Neutral
Portfolio: Renunciation, change
Worshippers: Those who have renounced their past lives
Domains: Chaos, Evil, Good, Law, Renunciation*
Favored Weapon: Quarterstaff

Laphistopheles is the god of renunciation, lord of damnation and redemption. He is worshiped by those who have rejected their past lives, seeking to remake themselves. He claims the sinner who seeks redemption and the saint who succumbs to evil as his own, helping his followers reject their past lives to find new beginnings. He does not seek to judge sinners or seek new converts, only to offer a second chance to those who would seek it. Laphistopheles is a passive god for the most part, rarely directly intervening in the world.

The clergy of Laphistopheles is greatly varied in its aims. Some simply counsel others through difficult changes in life, while some, calling themselves “agents of renunciation,” take a more active role, forcibly changing the ways of those they perceive as being harmful to their agendas. There is no true organized church of Laphistopheles, at least, not in the conventional sense. There are no public worship services or rites, and even private prayers are sparse. Instead, it focuses more on one-on-one interaction between priest and layperson, with all clerics being of equal standing. There is no head of the church, though the recorded teachings and thoughts of past and present clerics are often used in settling disputes.

Renunciation Domain

Deities: Laphistopheles
Granted Power: You can cast spells with any alignment descriptor, even if they contradict your own.
Spells:
1. Ward of Renunciation*
2. Renounce Skill*
3. Renounce Feat*
4. Renounce Ability*
5. Atonement
6. Forbiddance
7. Hand of Laphistopheles*
8. Renounce Self*
9. Renounce Reality*

New Spells

Hand of Laphistopheles
Abjuration [See Text]
Level: Renunciation 7
Components: V, S, F, XP
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell functions at the redemption or temptation function of the atonement spell, except as above. The target’s alignment can be altered to any alignment, rather than simply to match yours. In addition, the target is not allowed a choice in the matter–unless it succeeds on a Will save, its alignment is immediately changed. Even outsiders can be swayed by this spell, though they receive a +4 bonus on their save.

This spell has the alignment descriptor(s) of the alignment you force on the target.

Focus:
A mithral mirror, worth 2,000 gp.

XP Cost:
500 xp.

Renounce Ability
Transmutation
Level: Renunciation 4
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Target: Willing creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You allow the target to exchange on of its ability scores for another. Only the base ability scores, plus any of the level-based increases, are exchanged–racial, inherent, or other bonuses are not exchanged. The target cannot exchange ability scores if doing so would cause him to lose the prerequisites for a feat or prestige class.

Renounce Feat
Transmutation
Level: Renunciation 3
Casting Time: 1 hour

You grant the target the ability to renounce one of its feats in exchange for a new one. He must first choose a feat it has to permanently give up. He may not give up a feat that would cause him to lose the prerequisites for another feat or a prestige class, or a bonus feat granted by a race or class. He may then gain another feat in its place. He must meet all prerequisites for the feat he gains, and he must have been able to meet them at the time he gained the feat that was given up.

Focus:
A silver mirror, worth 100 gp.

XP Cost:
250 xp, which must be paid both by you and the target.

Renounce Reality
Transmutation
Level: Renunciation 9
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You

With this spell, you can literally take back your past actions. You regress time back up to one year/caster level, returning to a single point in your past. You retain knowledge of the future, though others do not. You may only spend a single round of action in the past, after which you return to normal time. Depending on what actions you take in the past, the present situation may be altered to a drastic degree, which is mediated by the DM. Even if your action alters events such that you do not cast this spell, you must still spend the XP.

Focus:

XP Cost:
1500 xp, plus 100 xp for every year traveled back, rounded down.

Renounce Self
Transmutation
Level: Renunciation 8
Casting Time: 24 hours

This truly powerful spell allows its subject to change the very essence of who he is. When you cast this spell on the target, he may choose to change either his race or class.

If he changes his race, he first loses all traits of his former race, including ability modifier, and gains all traits of the race he becomes a member of. If changing races causes him to lose the prerequisites to a feat, he may swap it out for another one, as the renounce feat spell. However, he cannot change races if doing so would cause him to lose the prerequisites for a prestige class. If he changes his race to one with a higher ECL than his former race, he permanently loses a number of levels equal to the difference of ECL’s. However, if he changes to a race with a lower ECL, he does not gain any additional levels.

If the target changes his class, he permanently loses up to one level/5 caster levels, and gains an equal number of levels in any class or classes of his choice. If he chooses to gain a level in a prestige class in this way, he must meet all prerequisites for the prestige class. If changing classes causes him to lose the prerequisites to a feat, he may swap it out for another one, as the renounce feat spell. However, he cannot change classes if doing so would cause him to lose the prerequisites for a prestige class.

Focus:

XP Cost:
5,000 xp, which must be payed by both you and the target.

Renounce Skill
Transmutation
Level: Renunciation 2
Casting Time: 30 minutes

You grant the target the ability to renounce one of its skills in exchange for proficiency in another. He may subtract up to one rank/caster level from one skill, and add those ranks to one other skill. The skill he adds the ranks to must be a class skill for at least one of his classes. He may not subtract a number of ranks that would cause him to lose the prerequisites for a feat or prestige class.

Focus:
A silver mirror, worth 100 gp.

XP Cost:
25 xp per skill point subtracted, which must be paid both by you and the target.

Ward of Renunciation
Abjuration
Components: V, S, F
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level or until discharged
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You wrap yourself in a shimmering silver barrier that allows you to forcibly reject your foes. Whenever a creature hits you with a melee attack, whether with a weapon or touch attack, you may choose to discharge this spell. The creature that struck you must make a Will save or take 1d4 force damage/level, max 5d4, and be knocked back 5 ft. away from you and fall prone. If it cannot complete its movement, it instead falls prone in its own square.

Focus:
A hand mirror.

Winged One
2006-11-12, 06:00 PM
Hand of Laphistopheles has the same ethical issues as Sanctify the Wicked, but otherwise this is an interesting deity...

The Demented One
2006-11-12, 06:16 PM
Hand of Laphistopheles has the same ethical issues as Sanctify the Wicked, but otherwise this is an interesting deity...
I know, and it's a tricky issue. Although it's not necessarily evil. and can even have the Good descriptor, I can't see many good clerics using that spell. I think the only way to resolve the matter is to leave it up to the DM.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-11-12, 08:13 PM
I'd probably crank up the EXP costs on the spells, but that might just be me. Renounce Reality is absurdly powerful, and the retraining spells are, while no more powerful than Psychic Reformation, are still broken just because PR is in no way balanced.

Might also put a more limited duration on Hand of Laphistopheles. Maybe cut it down to a week per caster level, and make it so that the creature must act within the constraints of its new alignment (Atonement doesn't do that; it just changes its alignment if it sincerely wants to, fixing its alignment aura), with a possibility of having the creature retain its ways at the end, or relapse back into its old ways (probably depending on a second save, with a long table of circumstance modifiers).

The Demented One
2006-11-12, 08:55 PM
I'd probably crank up the EXP costs on the spells, but that might just be me. Renounce Reality is absurdly powerful, and the retraining spells are, while no more powerful than Psychic Reformation, are still broken just because PR is in no way balanced.
Bumped up some of the XP costs, though I disagree on the PR thing.

Fax Celestis
2006-11-12, 11:52 PM
Zomg Tso Reference I Luvz Joo.

The Demented One
2006-11-12, 11:53 PM
Zomg Tso Reference I Luvz Joo.
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why friends don't let friends post drunk.

reorith
2006-11-13, 06:03 AM
nicely done. i'd pray to him.

Fax Celestis
2006-11-13, 12:20 PM
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why friends don't let friends post drunk.

I was too. Tried Sangria for the first time. It is good. Very good.

In any case, a few questions:

Can Renounce Self be applied to a target more than once?

Renounce Reality seems like it'd be a pain in the ass to deal with.

And I was going t osay something about how all the spells seem a tad overpowered, but then I realized there's no way to get them except through the Renunciation domain.

The Demented One
2006-11-13, 06:51 PM
I was too. Tried Sangria for the first time. It is good. Very good.
Fun. I will note that, despite your drunkenness, you did manage to point out that the title was a reference, earning you a cookie.

Can Renounce Self be applied to a target more than once?
Yep.

Renounce Reality seems like it'd be a pain in the ass to deal with.
Eh, not really. It functions rather like one of the functions of wish, which is undoing a past event, except this is slightly more flavorful. The one that's a real pain is teleport through time.