PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items for a Charger

Sloshman997
2013-03-03, 11:10 PM
I'm looking for suggestions for items for a Charger build. I have a Valorous weapon and am crit focused kind of(looking to eventually get Prismatic Burst).

I want a Cape of Polymorph and I calculated the price for 1/day at 13th caster level to be 18720 gold is this correct?
I also want an item of continuous Lion's Charge. What item slot do you guys think it belongs it to be "appropriate"? And I calculated that price at 4k.

Qc Storm
2013-03-03, 11:12 PM
You're not a charger without boots of the battlecharger.

Sloshman997
2013-03-03, 11:30 PM
I have boots of Striding and Springing, I find the move speed and jump bonus better. I didn't mention jumping is my thing lol. Sudden leaping almost as far as I can move is pretty fun. PS. I'm a warblade.

Edit:Though now that I think about it those boots are pretty damn sweet. I didn't realize the implications of being able to charge as a standard action.

Edit2: @Malak'ai It's from the Magic Item Compendium.

Malak'ai
2013-03-04, 12:01 AM
You're not a charger without boots of the battlecharger.

What book are those in?

Gwendol
2013-03-04, 07:43 AM
You probably want Rhino hide armor.

Darrin
2013-03-04, 01:16 PM
For a charger, you want to focus on two things: damage modifiers (which get multiplied via Power Attack/etc.) and movement (swift-action moves, moving through/over obstacles, etc.).

Head:

Horned Helm (8000 GP, MIC). Add a gore as a secondary natural attack to your full attack. This assumes you already have Pounce.

Phylactery of Change (11200 GP, A&EG). You mentioned a Cape of Polymorph. This would be a bit cheaper, all-day polymorph up to 7 HD.

Face:

Fanged Mask (8300 GP, MIC). As with the Horned Helm, add a bite as a secondary natural attack to your full attack.

Third Eye Clarity (3000 GP, MIC). 1/day negate confused, dazed, fascinated, or stunned effect.

Third Eye Freedom (2600 GP, MIC). 1/day freedom of movement for 1 round.

Third Eye Surge (2100 GP, MIC). 3 charges, adds insight bonus on weapon damage rolls for 1 round. Much better deal than the Brute Gauntlets.

Throat:

Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker (500 GP, MIC). 1/day swift action to move up to your speed.

Torc of the Titans (3300 GP, MIC). 3/day +5 morale bonus on melee damage, good for cranking out Power Attack multipliers. Brute Gauntlets don't offer as much of a bonus, but are much cheaper and could be bought/used in bulk.

Shoulders:

Transposer Cloak (6000 GP, MIC). 3/day, swift action teleport to swap positions with an ally within 30'. Great way to set up additional charges. Could also be used on an enemy, but Will save DC 13 negates. If your shoulder slot is already taken, the Rod of Transposition does pretty much exactly the same thing for the same price.

Torso:

Vest of Free Movement (12000 GP, MIC). 3/day, freedom of movement for 3 rounds. Third Eye Freedom is much cheaper, but only 1/day for 1 round.

Arms:

Armbands of Might (4100 GP, MIC). +2 bonus on Str checks and Str-based skills (inlcuding Jump), and +2 damage bonus when you Power Attack for at least -2 BAB.

Strongarm Bracers (6000 GP, MIC). Bigger weapons = bigger damage. This is "Monkey Grip" done right.

Hands:

Brute Gauntlets (500 GP, MIC). 3 charges, swift action to get a +2/+3/+4 morale bonus on melee damage. Torc of the Titans gets a better bonus, but for the about same price you could buy a half-dozen Brute Gauntlets and just put on a new pair when your current pair runs out of charges.

Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting (4000 GP, MIC). Ignore miss chance, +1d6 damage against incorporeal enemies.

Glove of the Master Strategist (3600 GP, Ghostwalk). Works just like a Glove of Storing, but cheaper, and also casts true strike 1/day.

Waist

Belt of Battle (12000 GP, MIC). Action economy = win button.

Feet:

Anklets of Translocation (1400, MIC). Swift action, teleport 10' to set up charges or get out of grapples.

Boots of the Battle Charger (2000 GP, MIC). As has already been pointed out, these should be your default boots for a charger. They allow another good way to set up charges, but with a move action instead of a swift. Make sure you put a Dex bonus on one of your arms, hands, or feet items (including these boots, if need be) so you can charge over difficult terrain and through allies. Only works 2/day, but they're cheap enough that you can buy several sets.

Quicksilver Boots (3500 GP, MIC). Swift action, move up to your speed. Unfortunately, there's lots of competition for your feet slot. Anklets are cheaper, while the Boots of the Battle Charger offer some additional continuous abilities if you pay for the Dex bonus.

Other:

Gloryborn weapons (+600 GP, DMGII). +1 damage when charging.

Crystal of Alacrity (3500 GP, MIC). One of the "Five Virtues" (p. 195). +5' morale bonus to speed when attached to medium or heavy armor. If you're wearing light armor, go with a Rubicund Frenzy or Iron Ward Diamond.

Talisman of the Disk (500 GP, MIC). Bring along an ally, animal companion, cohort, etc. as a "sidecar" so they can full attack right next to you.

Lonely Tylenol
2013-03-04, 02:31 PM
Continuous Lion's Charge should be 8,000gp: 2,000 (base) x 1 (caster level) x 1 (spell level) x 4 (duration expressed in rounds). If you affix it to another item, its base price is 12,000gp if it is not the most expensive bonus on the item; otherwise, it multiplies any other, cheaper bonuses on the item by 1.5.

Sloshman997
2013-03-04, 02:49 PM
@Lonely Tylenol Lion's Charge Duration is 1min/level. But what affinity slot do you think it fits in?

@Darrin I'm currently using the Bracers of Strongarm for a large weapon. But I'm looking at adding Counterstrike and quickstrike to my bracers. I'd also like to get Deathstrike since I'm crit focused.

Quicksilver/Battle Charger/ Springing and Striding boots...those sound good if only I had more gold lol. 13250...hmmm

Picking up some needed defense in a +1 Radiant Called Chain Shirt.

RelentlessImp
2013-03-04, 02:54 PM
Find a way to get a Use Magic(Psionic) Device up a little and use a Power Stone of Psionic Lion's Charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psionicLionsCharge.htm) for 150gp. 12 Wisdom and DC 22, or DC 27 to emulate 12 Wisdom and DC 22 to activate.

CrazyNoob
2013-03-04, 03:02 PM
Gauntlet of War +1 dmg or +3 Dmg if you using the favorite weapon of a deity with war domain.

Collision enhancement for an additional +4 damage.

Oil of Bless weapon, actually pretty good if your get critical threats alot.

Lonely Tylenol
2013-03-04, 03:14 PM
@Lonely Tylenol Lion's Charge Duration is 1min/level. But what affinity slot do you think it fits in?

Oh... Hrm... I was thinking of the Paladin spell Rhino's Rush. Misremembered.

Consider also the Battle War Cry spell (Bard 2, Spell Compendium, can't remember if that's the name; away from books), if its duration is expressed in rounds (it's a swift action/1 round, I believe), for extra to-hit bonuses on the charge, and a save vs. the frightened condition each time.

As for affinity slot, I want to say "boots".

Sloshman997
2013-03-04, 04:19 PM
@RelentlessImp I don't know if my DM would allow that really, he's really odd when it comes to allowing certain things. He didn't consider the text for combining magic items to be "okay" at first.

@CrazyNoob I like all three of them but I'm currently using Str Gloves and am weighing the benefits of certain item costs. But the Oil of Bless weapon is definitely a good thing, is there one of uhh...curse weapon lol? Or a good equivalent anyway.

@Lonely Tylenol No problem lol, I can see the confusion possibilities. And that spell is pretty awesome other than x/day item version would there be a way to make it continuous since its duration is only a round?

Would I somehow be able to get the Whirling Blade spell on an item or my weapon, I really like that idea lol.

AS for Lion's Charge I was thinking I'm thinking Gloves/Bracer/Vest/Shirt/Belt/Boots. Really hoping its something like gloves/vest lol those are my least cluttered slots.

To give a bit more information I'll have roughly 60k gold. The wizard of the group said he may lend me some gold if I come up short. I currently have
+1 Valorous Kaorti Resin Great Falchion (yes my DM allowed this lol)
+2 Called/Mobility Chain Shirt
Gauntlets of Str +2
Amulet of NA +1
Cloak of Res +1
Ring of Deflection +1
Boots of Springing and Striding
Strongarm Bracers

I'm currently looking at buying
Cape of Polymorph 1/day 18720
Item of Lions Charge 4000
Belt of Healing/Deathstrike 6125 (DM says he isn't going to allow Belt of Battle >.>)
+1 Radiant Called Chain Shirt 27350
Sizing Enchant on Weapon 5000
Bracers of Quickstrike/Counterstrike/Strongarm 11850
Quicksilver/Battlecharger/Springing and Striding Boots 13250
Vampiric Torc 5000
Total: 91295

I would then be selling Cloak of Res +1, +2 Armor, Amulet of NA, Bracers of Strongarm and Boots of Springing and Striding.
Total: 25000

We plan on bartering for a discount because of a major RP thing we did for the group selling us items. So before the possibility of the discount the net difference is 66295.

Lonely Tylenol
2013-03-04, 04:28 PM
@Lonely Tylenol No problem lol, I can see the confusion possibilities. And that spell is pretty awesome other than x/day item version would there be a way to make it continuous since its duration is only a round?

AS for Lion's Charge I was thinking I'm thinking Gloves/Bracer/Vest/Shirt/Belt/Boots. Really hoping its something like gloves/vest lol those are my least cluttered slots.

Rhino's Rush still has a duration expressed in rounds (1 round is still rounds), so you should be able to make it as normal, with the x4 modifier for duration.

I would make gloves, if I had to choose between the two.

Sloshman997
2013-03-04, 09:59 PM
Anymore thoughts so far they have all been pretty good and I am considering foregoing my radiant armor for just more offense. But the 10 energy resist and light source are pretty hard to resist...Sway me people!!! Sway me!!!