PDA

View Full Version : Sun-Proof Vampires

Yogibear41
2013-03-03, 11:36 PM
are their anyways to make a vampire not explode in sunlight? I know of the endure sunlight feat but it only lasts for a few rounds, im looking for something that is basically permanent.

Deaxsa
2013-03-03, 11:38 PM
here's a suggestion: don't read if you are not up to date with OOTS

well, Malack researched a "protection from sunlight" spell in the most recent OOTS comics.

apart from that though, which is basically DM fiat, you need a different kind of DM fiat.

TaiLiu
2013-03-03, 11:47 PM
There are ways to deal with this.

The Endure Sunlight feat, from Libris Mortis, allows one to resist all dangerous effects of sunlight for a number of rounds equal to 1 + one's Charisma modifier.

Night's Mantle, from Lords of Darkness, protects one from all effects of sunlight for ten minutes per caster level.

Cloak of Dark Power, from Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, has a similar effect to the above spell - but only lasts one minute per caster level.

I'm certain that there are more ways to do so.

Elderand
2013-03-03, 11:48 PM
The Vampire lord template (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a) is merely weakened in sunlight

Yogibear41
2013-03-03, 11:53 PM
Ninetails :D

Also what is oots?

Yogibear41
2013-03-03, 11:55 PM

The Endure Sunlight feat, from Libris Mortis, allows one to resist all dangerous effects of sunlight for a number of rounds equal to 1 + one's Charisma modifier.

Night's Mantle, from Lords of Darkness, protects one from all effects of sunlight for ten minutes per caster level.

Cloak of Dark Power, from Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, has a similar effect to the above spell - but only lasts one minute per caster level.

I have a book of vile Darkness, Lords of Madness, and Champions of Darkness did you mean one of those? I've never heard of that book

Edit:

Nvm its a forgotten Realms book hmm I dont have it :(

Edit #2 I do have it yay!

Edit #3 1000 gp material component :(

Rubik
2013-03-03, 11:57 PM
Also what is oots?Order of the Stick.

Also, you could wear really heavy makeup, gloves, a hat, and sundark goggles (refluffed as sunglasses).

Yogibear41
2013-03-03, 11:59 PM
Looking back at this endure sunlight feat it has no limit to the number of times you can use it each day in the description, does that mean if I get out of sunlight for one round I can then go back in again for the feats full duration?

Starbuck_II
2013-03-04, 12:00 AM

Looking at it:
Night's Mantle is 4th level but has a 1000 gp material component.

Casting Darkness on yourself will protect you (since only magical light overrides it).

Fates
2013-03-04, 12:01 AM
I believe Libris Mortis has something called Goggles of Sunlight that did just that...or it might have just removed light blindness- either way, my vampire flavored them as sunglasses.

TaiLiu
2013-03-04, 12:07 AM
Looking back at this endure sunlight feat it has no limit to the number of times you can use it each day in the description, does that mean if I get out of sunlight for one round I can then go back in again for the feats full duration?

I don't see anything stopping you from doing anything like that.

Ninetails :D

Indeed. The creator is Serpentine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=14644).

NEO|Phyte
2013-03-04, 12:25 AM
Not terribly viable for a PC, but vampires than come into existence via overusing the capstone ability of Shadow Sun Ninja are immune to sunlight.

Rubik
2013-03-04, 12:30 AM
There's always this. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/adaptBody.htm)

JoshuaZ
2013-03-04, 12:32 AM
Order of the Stick.

Also, you could wear really heavy makeup, gloves, a hat, and sundark goggles (refluffed as sunglasses).

While this seems reasonable, RAW say anything about something like this.

Rubik
2013-03-04, 12:44 AM
While this seems reasonable, RAW say anything about something like this.Uh...what?

Yogibear41
2013-03-04, 12:49 AM
How about ways to change the weather? it says direct sunlight in the monster manual so I assume a cloudy day wouldn't destroy me and a rainy day would be even better.

Since the Level adjustment is +8 this character will be at level 1 for a LONG time, I was going to go sorcerer, but if anyone has anything that would greatly help from another class I'm all ears.

Of course this is all hypothetical for an idea of a future character which I may never play lol, I still get the enjoyment of thinking it up :smallsmile:

VGLordR2
2013-03-04, 12:51 AM
Real men use parasols.

Rubik
2013-03-04, 12:54 AM
Real men use parasols.Pink ones with white kitties.

Or ponies.

Venger
2013-03-04, 01:06 AM
there is a magic item called a "portable shade" that is a disc of cloth that levitates above your head and provides a 3' radius of shade. sandstorm. page 135. 2k. it explicitly blocks the sun's rays.

ThreeDSix
2013-03-04, 05:23 AM
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft:

Spoilers!!!! (Just in case)

Count Strahd in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft uses an Artifact called the Dayheart to gain immunity from sunlight.

Worth a look.

only1doug
2013-03-04, 05:47 AM
Looking at it:
Night's Mantle is 4th level but has a 1000 gp material component.

Casting Darkness on yourself will protect you (since only magical light overrides it).

Does leave you rather exposed if someone dispells your darkness (either with dispell or a higher level light spell) so take the feat as well so that you don't die before you can re-cast the darkness.

a dip in warlock will give you darkness as a SLA at will, some drow darkness feats can make that deeper darkness (full round action, lasts all day) or quickened so that you can have immeadiate responses (but still keep the feat).

Vaz
2013-03-04, 06:12 AM
Permanent Black Sand placed in a normal pocket or bag. Open the bag, 20ft radius deeper darkness. Sprinkle a pinch of the sand over any raised undead you have, and have them stand still while fast healing d4 does its job.

Parra
2013-03-04, 06:14 AM
Using the Darkness spell may not be the solution you are looking for, it only gives 20% concealment, which means you are still 80% in the sunlight. Not to healthy for a Vampire.

Vaz
2013-03-04, 06:21 AM
If it is in 'shadowy illumination' it is not in direct sunlight. Only direct sunlight can kill a Vampire.

JoshuaZ
2013-03-04, 08:51 AM
Uh...what?

*doesn't say anything*. Missing important word there. Sorry.

Psyren
2013-03-04, 02:01 PM
Uh...what?

He's asking, could makeup/heavy clothing/shades protect a vamp. I'm not exactly sure myself.

Starbuck_II
2013-03-04, 02:09 PM
Using the Darkness spell may not be the solution you are looking for, it only gives 20% concealment, which means you are still 80% in the sunlight. Not to healthy for a Vampire.

But you are blind with Deeper darkness.

Darkness is shadowy ilumination: meaning sunlight can't penetrate at all 0%, only shady illumination is there.

3.5 Darkness works differently than the name sounds: it switches all light to shadowy illumination (unless a stronger magical source or dispelled).

So sunlight will not hit you.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-03-04, 02:33 PM
From this Article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20030730a)
Shadowgloom
Illusion (Shadow)
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Duration: 1 round/level
Effect: 10 ft. radius of gloom or one shadowy form of Large or smaller
Saving Throw: Will negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes

You call upon the power of shadow to create one of two effects:

Gloomcloud: You create a cloud of gloom that fills a 10-foot radius. Any creatures within the gloom are protected from the effects of full sunlight and do not suffer penalties for light blindness or light sensitivity from sunlight. Spells that create light (including daylight, searing light, and sunbeam) work normally within the area; the gloom protects only against actual light or sunlight originating from outside the area of gloom. Attacks made inside or into or the area suffer a 10% miss chance due to the gloomy conditions (creatures with darkvision and low-light vision ignore this miss chance).

With this variant you may also cause one creature or object of up to Medium size to be obscured by shadows. An affected object gains total concealment in the darkness, and becomes invisible while the effect lasts. A creature is merely disguised by deep shadow that completely obscures the major features of its bodies. The creature remains visible, but its identity and possibly even its race cannot be deduced just by looking at the creature. The disguised creature can still see, and the enveloping shadows do not adversely affect its ability to perform any action. Saving throws and spell resistance applies to a creature that does not want himself or an object in his possession to be affected in this manner. Normally this aspect of the spell is used to disguise a creature or hide an object from scrutiny (including something like concealing a door).

Quickshadow: You create a roughly humanoid shadow (shaped as you choose, so it may resemble a human, a satyr, or a winged creature) of size Large or smaller. The shadow immediately moves 60 feet per round in the direction you indicate until it reaches the maximum range, at which point it fades away. The shadow is harmless and cannot cause harm. It cannot move into a space unless the spell has line of effect to that space. (For example, it could not pass through a closed door into the room beyond, but could move through a portcullis with ease.) This aspect of the spell is normally used to deceive viewers into thinking a message or summoned creature is fleeing or charging them. Of course, since you choose its shape you may use it as a prearranged signal to someone (a halfling shadow meaning one message, a harpy shadow meaning another, and so on).

A continous item shouldn't be that expensive considering it is a level 1 spell (be careful about dispels though)

Aegis013
2013-03-04, 02:37 PM
You could Iron Heart Surge and remove the sun.

On a more serious note, discussing it with your DM is a good idea.

sambouchah
2013-03-04, 02:45 PM
In my group there are Umbrella's of Eternal Darkness which create an effect equal to nighttime. It allows them to walk around in the sunlight. They do fight however with only one had(they must hold the umbrella above their heads) at a -4 penalty and if a hole is punctured in the umbrella they explode:smallbiggrin:

Karoht
2013-03-04, 03:53 PM
Pathfinder solves this problem with the spell Penultimate Penumbra, which is basically Malak's lovely little 'protection from sunlight' spell.
It is a second or third level spell, so it isn't all that big a deal to burn a slot every day.
It stops pretty much all light based attacks. Such as Searing Light for example, which most undead are typically not fond of.

Shalist
2013-03-04, 04:10 PM
There's a level 0 spell (nolight) in the BoVD that gets rid of nonmagical lighting. While a very cheap option to make into a continuous item, keep in mind that it'd suppressed whenever someone waves a light spell in your general direction, which could be...inconvenient.No Light
Transmutation
Level: Brd 1, Clr 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
The caster creates an area of darkness. Normal light sources cannot illuminate the area, but darkvision allows a creature to see within the area. Light counters no light (and vice versa), leaving whatever light conditions normally prevail in the overlapping areas of the spells. Higher-level light spells counter and dispel no light.Cloak of dark power (reprint from SC pg 48, no material component). lvl 1 spell that specifically shelters you from sunlight:CLOAK OF DARK
POWER
Abjuration
Level: Drow 1
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Saving Throw: Will negates
(harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
A dim gray haze appears around the creature. Light bends around this haze, leaving the creature in a patch of strange and shifting darkness. Cloak of dark power creates a dusky haze around the subject.

The haze does not interfere with vision, but the subject and anything it wears or carries is protected from the effects of full sunlight, even under the open, daytime sky of the surface world.

A drow subject suffers no blindness or bright illumination combat penalties while under the effect of cloak of dark power. The subject also gains a +4 resistance bonus on saves against light or darkness spells or effects.While we're at it, limited invisibility sphere for natural darkness:Darklight
Evocation [Darkness]
Level: Asn 2, Sor/Wiz 1
Target: One creature or
object touched
The caster makes one creature or object radiate special darkness called darklight in a 5-foot-radius sphere. This spell is most useful in a large, naturally dark area. Within the darklight sphere, creatures that can normally see in the light can see, even though there is no light.
Only creatures and objects in the sphere can be seen, and only creatures in the sphere can see within the sphere, unless other observers can naturally see in the dark. Thus, while two creatures in the sphere can see each other, a creature standing outside the sphere can neither see the creatures in the sphere (assuming it doesn’t have darkvision), nor can it be seen by them. A creature with darkvision standing outside the sphere could see those within the sphere, but those inside could not discern the creature.
The darklight spell’s sphere is invisible in normal light and does not function in magical darkness.And worth noting:VEIL OF SHADOW
Evocation [Darkness]
Level: Assassin 2, blackguard 2,
cleric 2, sorcerer/wizard 2
Ca sting Time: 1 standard
action
Range: Personal
Target: You
You speak the words of this spell, and tendrils of purple darkness rise from the ground, surrounding you and concealing you from your foes. Swirling wisps of darkness obscure your form, granting you concealment.

The 20% miss chance is in effect even if the attacker has darkvision. This spell effect is dispelled in daylight or in the area of a light spell of 3rd level or higher.

See invisibility does not counter a veil of shadow’s concealment effect, but a true seeing spell does.And following the shadow motif is 'distracting shadows,' a very nice, if double-edged, low level spell for a sneaky type.
DISTRACTING SHADOWS
Evocation [Darkness]
Level: Bard 1, sorcerer/wizard 1
Components: V, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Target: Object touched
Duration: 24 hours (D)
This spell causes an object to radiate distracting shadows in a 10-foot-radius spread. Casual scrutiny of an affected area doesn’t reveal anything out of the ordinary; however, cracks, crannies, corners, hidden traps, and secret entrances or exits within the area become harder to spot.

Creatures within the area or looking into it are subliminally confused by the distracting shadows, and take a –5 penalty on all Spot and Search checks. However, the shadows do not provide sufficient concealment for a creature to make a Hide check.

Distracting shadows counters or dispels any light or darkness spell of equal or lower level.

Distracting shadows can be made permanent with a permanency spell (minimum caster level 10th; cost 1,000 XP)Cast it on a rock and carry it around with you when you're being sneaky, then stuff it in your pocket when you need to take a closer look at something.

edit: Added warning to 'nolight,' and clarification about material components on 'cloak of darkness'

Xarteros
2013-03-04, 07:43 PM
I have a solution, but it's by class progression unfortunately

Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords has a prestige class called Shadow Sun Ninja. You get an ability that you can use that sacrifices Constitution points for extra power, and if you are reduced to 0 Constitution by usage of this ability, you become a vampire that is immune to sunlight.

It does mention that your character is no longer under PC control, but that's only because you become an evil Undead. If your DM is ok with it (and you choose to embrace undeath willingly) then they might let you ignore that part and you could still maintain control

You get to keep all your class levels and abilities, including the now-infinite ability to deal constitution damage to yourself to use more power

Yogibear41
2013-03-04, 08:38 PM
What books are the last 3 from Shalist

Shalist
2013-03-04, 08:53 PM
Darklight -> BoVD pg 91
Veil of shadow -> Spell Compendium pg 228
Distracting shadows -> Magic of Eberron pg 95

Xervous
2013-03-04, 09:35 PM
Vampire dark sun ninja sounds like a nice option for an evil campaign, probably gestalt though to deal with the LA

Metahuman1
2013-03-05, 12:22 AM
Isn't there a soulmeld that puts you in an area of darkness all the time?

Psyren
2013-03-05, 12:32 AM
Isn't there a soulmeld that puts you in an area of darkness all the time?

Yep, but you can only see within its radius - everything outside it becomes undetectable to you, and it's only 5ft./essentia. The idea is to leave it off until you get into melee range with something, then switch it on and pummel them without their Dex to AC (and while enjoying 50% miss chance.)