PDA

View Full Version : The Barren Wastelands (IC)

Frosty
2013-03-04, 01:29 AM
You 4 are all acquaintances one way or another. You may not actually be friends yet, but you've been around each other enough to have at least a surface level of trust with each other. That is, you expect not to get backstabbed by the others unlexx it's for a really good reason or if the pay was really good. You've mostly seen each other in Doc's clinic, where each of you have come in on various occasions thanks to the violent nature of the Barrens. Today you sit around one of the tables (Doc claims that it's an operating table but the rest of you swear that it has seen more use as a card table) because Doc has received a talent-search 'trix mail in his anonymous dropbox.

Apparently the Red Hot Nukes gang is looking for local talent to do some reconnaisance and possibly data-retrieval from another gang. They want a team of at least 4 people who can work together well and trust each other. For those that don't know, the The Red Hot Nukes are a Gang of Dwarfs - i. e. dwarven adepts - that calls the Redmond-Barrens in Seattle its turf. Their colors are red and grey, their symbol is a mushroom cloud and they always wear baseball caps. They are led by a dwarven adept, a former shadowrunner, called Grinder, who has strong anti-corporate feelings and sees himself as a neo-anarchist. They excel in explosives and use self constructed bombs as a tool for extortion of protection money or for destroying buildings in order to help locals to commit insurance fraud.

The pay promised seems decent, and y'all are low on credits to be sure. Feel free to discuss your options as you wait for further information on the initial meeting location.

(OOC thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273790)

Maugan Ra
2013-03-04, 03:14 AM
Mouse sits slouched in one of the rickety chairs, soft brown eyes unfocused and mind drifting. His hair is an untidy sprawl, and his jacket is battered and more than a little worn around the edges, giving him the appearance of a vagabond drifter... just like so many others in the Barrens. Only a keen eye would note the way his gaze occassionally sharpened and flickered between his companions, or the practiced grace in even the most relaxed posture he adopted. One day, he hoped to be good enough to fool even the keenest of gazes... but for now, he'd settle for just being unremarkable.

"So. The Nukes." he says quietly. Mouse was always quiet, always low-key. It was a survival mechanism as much as anything else. "Anyone done a job for them before?"

Sir_Gabes
2013-03-04, 03:46 AM
Docbox served up four beers on coasters. The stocky dwarf clambered onto a wooden box that looked to small for him. He'd offered all his best chairs to the guests. He was trying to look tough, but he looked really awkward perched on his improvised seat.
"Nope, most gangs don't last long enough, they must be a new group."
Gangers came and went in the barrens. One minute it was the Big Bang squad and the next it was the Red Hot Nukes. They generally found themselves in a ditch bleeding out or on the corner frying their brains on some new narcotic.
"I could use the money though. There's no money in healing these slummers."
Docbox didn't charge much for his services. Of course it was a case by case basis. He'd fix up a kid with a fever for free. A ganger with a heart only for credits would owe him an arm and a leg.

Frosty
2013-03-04, 08:03 AM
(Those of you with at least one rank in the knowledge skill Seattle Gangs can roll it to remember more about the Red Hot Nukes. Oh, Abombom forgot to do Knowledge Skills for Rover I think. He should do them quickly.)

Frendle
2013-03-04, 02:40 PM
Et’Thir sits uncomfortably on the chair Docbox has offered him. He was unused to sitting on anything but the dojo floor, but he didn’t want to seem ungrateful since Docbox had invited him to work this run. It was an odd lot that was arrayed before him, maybe not the typical group of runners, but who knew for sure. He had rarely been in the company of more than a couple of the dojo members or Carlos in all the runs he had gone one before…. Et’Thir winced, thinking about his life at the dojo was still painful.

“I don’t know much about gangers, ‘cept if you see more than two slags dressed the same it’s best you blend in as you pass by.”

He looks intently at Rover. He knew he had power, but he didn’t know much about it beyond that. He had to know if Rover ever used spirits, and if so what kind. He knew none of the local city spirits would much like the shammy if Et'Thir ran with him.

“Hey chummer,” Et’Thir looked at Rover, “you ever call spirits in your work. I only ask cause some of the locals don’t feel too friendly about me.”

Abombom
2013-03-05, 08:21 PM
The kid, barely turned 18, sat down next to Mouse. He wore a fancy dress shirt underneath an inappropriate padded jacket. It complimented the even more out-of-place laser-red eyes he looked out of.

The Zen was still in full effect, making him feel afloat, asleep, elsewhere. Rover leaned back on his chair and looked down into the beer he was drinking. He was used to cheap alcopops and their bubbles going every which way. But even with this beer he could still see the fizz growing, expanding, popping. So… slowly. He thought of the last time he held a proper beer... then the time before that… then the time before that… then…

He snapped out of the experience when Et’Thir addressed him.

”Ah… er… Always got some on call. What you mean by the local ones?”

Abombom
2013-03-05, 08:29 PM
((Seattle Street Gangs Check:))

Intuition 3 + Seattle Street Gangs 2: [roll0]

Frosty
2013-03-05, 09:15 PM
Rover knows... ...that the Nukes have lasted longer than your typical gang in the area. That alone is impressive in this extremely lawless land.

Mouse knows in addition to what Rover knows... ...that the Nukes are known for hating most other gangs, and are usually pretty violent about it. However, the Nukes also see themselves as sometimes-protector of the down-trodden folk against the corporate hegemony and the other (in their eyes) exploitative gangs in the area. So, on occasion, the Nukes *have* aided poor folks in need in the Barrens. Sometimes fighting away menacing rival gangs. Sometimes by helping perpetrate insurance fraud via blowing stuff up. Still, they do their share of damage to the Barrens as well, physical and otherwise.

Another message appears in Doc's dropbox. A location and a time is there. Time: an hour from now. Place: in a section of the sewers. So, to go and listen to this job or not, knowing what Mouse and Rover knows about the gang? Assuming they share the intel of course.

Sir_Gabes
2013-03-05, 09:43 PM
Docbox shook his head and deliberately neglected to place a beer in front of Rover. He didn't need the alcohol in his system. Docbox didn't like junkies. Especially when they had a gift as valuable as magic. Docbox would of said something if the others weren't in the room. He didn't want to risk embarrassing Rover. He also had a stern belief in doctor, patient trust.
"What was I thinking inviting him?" Docbox thought.
He realised that the money from this job would just support Rover's addiction. He shifted uncomfortably on his makeshift chair. A fleeting moment of paranoia crossed his mind. He wasn't sure if Rover could read minds, but it worried him a little. He instead decided to focus on the task at hand.
"There is one thing I like about this job. It doesn't ask us to kill people. It's just grabbing some data and getting out. I could nuero-stun the place and we could be home in time for tea."
Docbox stood up and searched around for his medkit. He wanted to make sure it was fully stocked and ready to go.
"Does anyone have a problem going in clean? I realise that it might not sound fair, but these so called "gangsters" might have families who need them. At least while they're alive they have a chance to change or improve their situation."
In truth Docbox wasn't incredibly optimistic about the chance of that happening, regardless, Docbox didn't want to take away someone's chance at life. He believed in second chances and maybe when four people come in and wipe the floor with their entire gang, some might rethink their life.

What about the opposing gang? Can we get some information about them? Docbox is going to use intuition + organleggers to see if any of them are connected to organlegging. If they are it might help Docbox feel better if he has to kill one.
[roll0]

Maugan Ra
2013-03-05, 10:01 PM
Mouse shakes his head. "Why would I mind? I don't kill people. Not my job. Kill a man, and the next week you'll find his buddies kicking down the door trying to return the favour. Not worth it."

He cricks his neck. "Still, I'm good with at least seeing what these guys want. The Nukes are white hats, or they see themselves that way at least. Real big on protecting the little folk. Kinda odd to set a meet in the sewer, but it's their Nuyen, so they get to set the rules. Might as well see what precisely they're offering."

Frendle
2013-03-05, 11:30 PM
“Many of the spirits in the barrens, ‘specially those that float around in the astral close to where people are livin’, are Spirits of Man.” Et’Thir speaks softly but distinctly as he addresses Rover’s question.

“Ever since I come to the Barrens 7 years ago, the local Spirits of Man have been messin’ wit me. If I’m with you and you call em, they likely won’t help you, in fact they may frag things for us.”

Et’Thir stands up and grabs this chair, he moves it in front of Rover sits down on it and says,
“Take a look at my Aura mano, it glows like a beacon.. My…” Et’Thir stops speaking and clears this throat, “My master figured my Aura offends them somehow.”

Frosty
2013-03-05, 11:59 PM
Docbox doesn't know anything about that because the job description doesn't include the name of the target gang. They're keeping that info sealed until you meet with them.

Sir_Gabes
2013-03-06, 12:03 AM
"I don't know how much luck you'll have talking to him in that state. He's had a, um... Long day. Rover doesn't deal much with human stuff. That bugger turned up on my doorstep shaped as a dog of all things."
Docbox finished his beer and dropped the bottle in the bin. Docbox checked his schedule for any appointments. It was a pretty quiet day. Other than an expecting young couple, he didn't have anything. It was only a routine check up anyway. He could easily get it done fairly quickly.
"I say we meet this "Grinder" and see what he wants. I'm free today anyway."
Docbox began gathering up his equipment.

Abombom
2013-03-06, 03:06 AM
“Man spirits… Spirits of Man… A spirit that is Man…” Rover thought of these man-spirits. In that moment, were they not all spirits of man, together? Did they have no spirits? The words and the world seemed to blend together, just ever so slightly.

“Yes! I have known many such spirits. I talk to them frequently. They’re great for talking. Talk talk…They have much to say. What’s your spirit say?”

Rover tried assensing Et’Thir’s aura. Something seemed… off about it. “What’s your scar, hey? Don’t matter. Just talk with them, they’ll listen.” He’d have to take a better look at it some other time.

“Great for movies too!” He’d often watch movies with the spirits, but they didn’t know that, nor did he explain; his train of thought was way off. Spirits of Man were the easiest spirits Rover ever came by. Instead of the wise, all-seeing inspirations of humanity the trids depicted, he seemed to always evoke and befriend things that looked almost ripped straight out of the movies. He had two standing by even now, far off, one of which looked like the 1990s Robocop. Rover watched too many old movies.

“Ever smoked with one? They can’t really smoke, but they like to pretend. ‘cept with those air spirit friends… they don’t like the smoke so much.” Rover laughed.

He managed to keep his smile and laughter even through Docbox’s comment about him. He’d just had a little Zen to take the edge off the day. It actually helped him focus when the time came for it. Doc took his habits way too seriously after he had had wandered in one day looking ten kinds of dead and eleven kinds of high. “Don’t listen to Docbox too much, I’m still here... mostly. Your spirit might be scarred…” He looked from Et’Thir to Docbox. “But at least it ain’t aged like this one’s.”

He finally gave some input on the situation. “Lez do it. Need the yen.”

Frendle
2013-03-06, 02:50 PM
“So chummer,” Et’Thir gets up from his chair, “up to you if you wanna use em with me around, neh?”

Grabbing his backpack the Elf looks around the group, “So yeah, might as well go to the meet. How we do this? Scout it out first? Go in like we own the place? Figure Rover and Doc’ hang back a bit while Mouse and I head in first?”

Et’Thir reaches into his armored vest and takes out a pair of ear buds. “How about coms, you all got something? We should get on the same freq.”

Sir_Gabes
2013-03-06, 09:30 PM
Docbox's face went a little red. He'd saved Rover's life and now he was commenting on how old he looked. Docbox was only young, but his face looked aged. It was due to a life of study and constant conflict. Needless to say he was rather sensitive about his prematurely grey hair and his smile lines.
"Yeah, I have my Renraku."
He showed Et'Thir his commlink. After they chose a frequency and were set up. Docbox wandered around the shop, complaining under his breath. Fortunately most of his things were all in one place. So he sat in the corner grumbling. Docbox was a very surly man. He was typically nice and good natured, but when he was in a bad mood it was hard to get him out of it.

Maugan Ra
2013-03-06, 09:37 PM
"Yeah, I got comms." Mouse says, adjusting it to properly link up with the others. A few moments later, he moved over to speak with Docbox, keeping his voice low and making sure it didn't carry.

"Level with me here, doc. The spirit-talker, is he... well, right in the head? I appreciate confidentiality and all, but if he breaks down in the middle of the run..."

Sir_Gabes
2013-03-06, 11:08 PM
"He should be okay. He's pretty good at magic and if he's in the right "mood" he'll be pretty focused."
It really depended on what drugs he was taking. Though Docbox didn't want to get that specific. He assumed that Mouse would get the gist of things. Docbox grabbed what looked like a stress ball and began squeezing it pretty hard. He always got like this before arranging a run. The whole process really stressed him out.
"Let me know when you guys are ready to go. I need to lock up before we leave."

Frosty
2013-03-07, 08:14 PM
(Ready to go yet? You guys need to decide on how to approach the meetup in the sewers, unless y'all just want to walk in together in one, big vulneable group.)

Maugan Ra
2013-03-07, 09:35 PM
Mouse nods to Et'Thir. "All right. We go in first, take a look around, buzz the others in if it looks clear? I figure we got the best chance of scampering if things go arse up."

Frosty
2013-03-08, 12:43 AM
Assuming the elf agrees, the group proceeds as planned, with the two stealthier people going first. The two of you see some inconspicuous dwarves hanging around near the entrance to the sewer meeting place. The look alert, but without malice. Well, without more malice than what is usual for being in the Barrens. Do the two of you want to try to sneak past the guards and go scope out the meeting place personally, or do you just want to say hi to the guards?

Maugan Ra
2013-03-08, 01:26 AM
Mouse studies the dwarves for a moment, then glances at Et'Thir. A quick hand gesture indicates that the elf should stay back for now - always good to have armed backup the other side doesn't know about, and he'll trust his running mate to work out the best way to go about providing that backup if necessary.

Then, keeping his hands loosely by his sides, palms facing forwards - see, no weapons here, nothing hostile to get an itchy trigger-finger over - he steps out and walks towards the guards.

"Evenin', lads. Here to see a dwarf about a job." he says easily once he's close enough to be heard without needing to shout. No raised voices, no posturing or immensely suspicious language - just polite, professional and non offensive. Hey, a man had to have a style...

Sir_Gabes
2013-03-08, 01:26 AM
Docbox watched mouse quietly from afar. He loaded his shotgun with some stick n shock. He didn't want take any risks with this gang. He looked towards Rover and waved his hand in front of his face.
"Are you home, chummer."
He really hoped Rover was ready for action.

OOC: Docbox is going to rush out there and open fire if there's an attack.

Abombom
2013-03-08, 02:14 AM
Rover had taken some more Zen shortly before the meet, this time in pill form. The 2070s saw convenience in not just cyberware, bioware, the Matrix, and other such wonders, but also in the venues that drugs existed in. They were available in capsules, liquids, slap-patches, and whatever the **** else one wanted them in.

Docbox's fingers merged into each other, at times appearing as one, other times diverging and appearing as 10. Rover focused on them, marveled. A welcome distraction from the way the shadows of the sewer seemed at times ready to devour him. He hated sewers, and had seen far too many during his dealings with his 'teacher,' Seth.

Logic, and a little voice at the back of his head, told him he should have dosed himself up with Cram and Jazz as well. Get that little extra bit of speed in case the meet went sour. But for the moment he was content to just be, for death and danger seemed a foreign concept to his distracted mind.

He continued staring at Docbox's hand far after Docbox had removed it from gesture. "Course I'm here. Where else would I be? Spirits here, too. You here?" He set the safety off his Predator and gripped it firmly in his hands. Not that he could hit anything off the broad side of a barn without the use of his smartlink while sustaining his spells.

OOC: Rover stands ready to follow Docbox if there's gunfire. He loads gel rounds into his pistol.

Sir_Gabes
2013-03-08, 06:57 AM
"Why do I get stuck with the addict." Docbox thought.
He'd never seen Rover in action. He only invited him for his knowledge of magic. Docbox had severe misgivings about Rover. He turned his attentions to the task at hand. He kept his eye on the guard. He was ready for any movements. He was also trying to think of things to say if he was noticed.

Frendle
2013-03-08, 04:31 PM
Et'Thir waits a dozen yards behind Mouse. Taking his que from the face he turns his hands out hopefully in a non-threatening manner. Of course, it was his hands they needed to fear, but no reason to let on.

He tabs his coms to Docbox, "Doc, you and Rover in place? Can you see Mouse from there?"

Perception: [roll0]

Scanning to see if I can detect if someone is standing overwatch for the Dwarfs.

Assensing : [roll1]

Checking the astral to see if there are any Spirits of Man about who might cause trouble.

Frendle
2013-03-08, 04:33 PM
Oops
Perception: [roll0]

Assensing: [roll1]

Abombom
2013-03-08, 04:45 PM
OOC: If Rover can see Mouse or Et'Thir, he splits up his counterspelling of 2 (1 for each). If he can only see 1, he applies all dice towards that target. If it's too dark, he cycles his cybereyes to low-light or infrared as needed. If it's too far but in sight, he zooms in with vision magnification.

Frosty
2013-03-08, 05:32 PM
The 3 dwarven guards look at the two of you, apparently not very impressed. "We were told to expect da 4 of yer. How come there's only 2 now? They run away? Our boss don't wanna hire no stinkin' COWARDS for his job."

The guards have not raised their weapons. Et'Thir can see no other guards and sense no spirits nearby. Rover can see all of his allies for now.

Maugan Ra
2013-03-08, 10:37 PM
"Oh, there's more than just us." Mouse says calmly. "But your boss is a dangerous person, and not one we've worked with before. So maybe you understand why I keep my backup out of sight, just in case this thing turns out not to be on the level and I need rescuing or something."

Frosty
2013-03-09, 02:21 AM
"Ch...maybe this team won't be as stupid as the last group of sorry idjits after all. Tell them to come out and we'll get the meeting started. The boss is waiting." He still doesn't sound too impressed, but at least he's inviting y'all in.

Maugan Ra
2013-03-09, 02:33 AM
With the very faintest of smiles, Mouse raises one hand to his ear and activates his comms to the rest of the team. "You heard him, folks. Seems legit."

Abombom
2013-03-09, 04:37 PM
Rover scratched at the tiny sub-vocal microphone strapped to his throat. He hated wearing that thing.

He activated it for a second to interact with the comms. "All right." He holstered his Predator and readied himself to follow Docbox to the guards and then to the meet.

Frendle
2013-03-09, 06:20 PM
Et'Thir gives a quick acknowledgement of the all clear and moves up to the guards and Mouse.

He takes a quick moment on the walk up to center himself, he intones his ritual under his breath.

"'Lo." He nods to the Dwarfs, and takes a position off Mouse’s left shoulder.

Sir_Gabes
2013-03-09, 11:08 PM
"I'm coming chummer. Hold yer horses."
Docbox came out from cover with his shotgun in hand. He didn't want to alarm the guards. He stepped up to the group.
"I'm only loaded with Stick n Shock. I won't kill you even if is a trap."
Docbox showed the guards his clip. It was clearly Stick n Shock. He wanted to make his intentions clear. He didn't want to go in without his shotgun.

Frosty
2013-03-10, 04:54 PM
The dwarves check the shotgun and eye all of your weapons carefully before leading you down the man-hole into the sewers. You end up someplace dark, where a non-modified human eye wouldn't be able to see much, but dwarven eyes and cyber-enhanced eyes might see just fine. Standing before you, flanked by a few more guards is bald dwarf wearing a trench coat of some sort. From what Mouse knows, it doesn't appear to match the description of the leader of the Nukes. Maybe it is a lieutenant of some sort giving the job?

He speaks up, "So, who do I have the pleasure of hirin' today? You do this job right, and you could be protectin' the community from the SCUM of the world."

Sir_Gabes
2013-03-11, 07:38 AM
"The name is Docbox and I'm all for protecting people, but you'll need to be specific about this so called scum."
Docbox had never met an entire gang of dwarves. The concept was kind of bizarre.
"This group of yours. Why is it entirely made up of dwarves?"
Docbox tightened the grip on his shotgun. This whole thing was starting to make him nervous. He just wanted to go home.

Maugan Ra
2013-03-11, 07:43 AM
"Name's Mouse. And it's always nice when the job falls on the positive side of the old karma scale." the thief says warily, sizing their potential employer up.

He glances at Docbox. "Doc, chill. You look like you're about to freak out."

Abombom
2013-03-11, 03:28 PM
"Name's Rover. I'll be slinging spells."

Rover stayed quiet to allow the others to speak.

Frosty
2013-03-13, 04:15 PM
The elf has not actually given his name yet. If he wishes to stay silent, he can, but the dwarf did ask for names. Refusing to answer can be a way to strategically insult people...if you want to insult them.

Frendle
2013-03-13, 04:42 PM
Et'Thir shifts uneasily to the balls of his feet as the Dwarf in the trench coat asks their names. He had never been asked to give it in the runs he made for his master or with Carlos.

His master had told him that names held power so don't be too free with giving it out. Besides, he'd always been careful with it for fear of any word of him making it back to the Tir'

He shifts his eyes around the room, hoping that his silence will be taken as watchfulness.

Frosty
2013-03-14, 01:03 AM
The lieutenant snorts as the elf seems to give him the cold shoulder. "Be careful who you disrespect, boy. We Nukes don't tolerate ATTITUDE without the RESULTS ta back it up, understand? Now, onto business. Word is that a new gang called the Alphas has recently muscled their way into the Barrens, taking over a seedy bar/club, calling it "Top Dog" or something. I know, I know, cliched, ain't it? We worry that these Alphas are bad news for the BArrens. You guys know anything about the Alphas first of all?"

Sir_Gabes
2013-03-14, 01:24 AM
Docbox decided he didn't like these people. They ignored his question and talked as though he didn't exist. He whispered to Et'Thir.
"You need an alias chummer. Do you think my real name is Docbox?"
Of all the people here Docbox was least familiar with Et'Thir. He liked him the most though. He wasn't as unstable as Rover or as shifty as mouse. He also had similar values and appreciated the value of life.

Maugan Ra
2013-03-14, 05:57 AM
"The 'Alphas'? Could swear we get half a dozen gangs with names like that through here every year. As for this lot..."

Int+Knowledge (Seattle Gangs): [roll0]

1 sux

Frendle
2013-03-14, 12:30 PM
A blush passes over Et’Thir’s face when the Dwarf rebukes him, then hearing Docbox’s suggestion he nods his head and, stammering a little, says, “I a-a-apologize, I meant no disrespect. I am unused to meets like this, in the past I have been given instructions directly on what I must do, and then I go and do it.”

Et’Thir gives a small bow as a sign of resepect.

“I am…., Peace Runner.”

Drek, did I just say that? Probably worse than if I said nothing. Et’Thir blushes for a second time as he considers his new handle.

Frosty
2013-03-14, 08:07 PM
The dwarf does NOT look impressed by the moniker 'Peace Runner' and his face shows as such.

Mouse doesn't know much, but he heard rumors that the Alphas didn't take over the establishment the traditional way (that is, by killing the previous owners). they instead *bought* the place. This is highly unusual in the Barrens, especially for gangs.

Abombom
2013-03-15, 01:04 AM
Alphas... Rover recalled the movies he had seen on the subject... alpha wolves, alpha dogs, the leader of the pack, the first... A partial obsession of his, given his tendency to take animal forms.

Alphas knowledge check
Intuition 3 + Seattle Street Gangs 2 = [roll0]

Frosty
2013-03-15, 01:14 AM
Rover has heard similar rumors to what Mouse has heard.

Sir_Gabes
2013-03-15, 01:27 AM
"So what did this gang do to justify your wrath, other than being a different gang?"
Docbox's simplification of the stupidity behind gang violence was intended as insult. He often had to tend to people who got caught in the crossfire of these gang wars. Not all of them made it. Docbox saw gang warfare as petty and wasteful.
"Can we do this mission without killing? Please, tell us what needs to be done."
Docbox was fairly sure this gang thought he was a joke. They must of done their research though. They contacted him after all.

Maugan Ra
2013-03-15, 06:45 AM
Mouse pinches the bridge of his nose in visible irritation and 'trying-to-suppress-a-headache'.

"The Alphas... can't say I'm too familiar with them. They only really popped up on the radar because they bought their base, rather than just take it over with guns. Kinda odd, 'specially around here."

He looks up again. "Anyway. The job. Memo said something about a data-grab?"

Frosty
2013-03-17, 02:16 AM
Taking a drag of his cigar (which is also kind of wierd, given that this IS the 2070s and not the year 2000 anymore, and also since the Nukes work with explosives so much) and then answers, "Yep. Now I don't know 'bout you, but *I* certainly can't afford to just go out and *buy* a big place like that. Heck, not even if 20 of us pooled our resources. We Nukes figure that the only way that a gang can have that kinda nuyen is to have backers. And backers means outside interference by people with money. Maybe a corp looking to gobble this up by killing all the gangs not under their control. We cant have those fascist corp BASTARDS have their way if this is true. So, what we need to do first is to see if there is indeed a backer for the Alphas at all, and if so, who is it? This is where you come in. We Nukes are fairly well known in the area, and we'd have a much harder time infiltrating the place. If we're just trying to blow the joint up it'd be different, but we know to know who's the power behind the front, so we'll need you to somehow infiltrate the place, and steal any important files and data chips."

Maugan Ra
2013-03-20, 10:16 AM
"Hmm." Mouse says, mulling it over. "Doable. All right... what are we talking, payment wise? "

Frosty
2013-03-20, 10:23 AM
"12000 nuyen for the group, with bonuses if the information is very useful."

Frendle
2013-03-20, 02:00 PM
Wow, that’ll more’n double my net worth. I can deal with that Et’Thir thought. Sounds like it should be pretty straightforward. Recon, stealth in, grab, stealth out.

He glanced over to Docbox and Rover with a concerned look. Wonder how good those two are at sneaking around. Rover probably does ok, but the Doc…..

Frosty
2013-03-20, 02:03 PM
(remember. it's 12000 divided amongst the 4 of you. It's solid pay for the Barrens, but not the lottery or anything.)

Frendle
2013-03-20, 07:10 PM
I know, but it took him 7 years to save up 5000. So for him it kinda is lotteryish :)

Abombom
2013-03-21, 01:55 AM
The company Rover found himself was a bit too quiet for his tastes, but not necessarily in a professional way. The one known as Mouse was doing most of the talking it seemed... Rover found himself wondering if he was supposed to speak up. Someone should be doing the talking... Had they hammered out these details back at Docbox's? He didn't remember.

$3,000 nuyen... Enough to get by... for a little bit longer. More days of watching the trid, talking with the spirits about... about... what was it exactly he talked about? What was it exactly he did all day? The thoughts escaped him at the moment, just like the details of who was supposed to be talking. I really gotta pay more attention...

Rover coughed, seeking to break what he felt was silence. "Heard similiar things about the Alphas... Need the nuyen. I'm in."

Frendle
2013-03-21, 12:44 PM
"Me too." Et'Thir says in a hurry after Rover worried that it might be expected to accept or reject the offer immediately.

"Do you have any recon on the building, or an estimate on the number of Alphas?"

Negotiation: [roll0] Not sure if that question would require a roll, so just rolling it in case

Sir_Gabes
2013-03-21, 12:50 PM
"Now listen here. I say you should offer a bit more. You did say they might have corp contacts. That means they might be better equipped then your average gang. Not to mention the powerful enemies we might make on the way."
Docbox stepped forward, he was no longer nervous. He tries to act as confident as possible. He knew they would be getting a raw deal if the corporations were involved.
"I think 6000¥ each is a little more reasonable. Double the risk, double the reward"."

Frosty
2013-03-21, 01:45 PM
"Me too." Et'Thir says in a hurry after Rover worried that it might be expected to accept or reject the offer immediately.

"Do you have any recon on the building, or an estimate on the number of Alphas?"

Negotiation: [roll0] Not sure if that question would require a roll, so just rolling it in case You don't need to roll Negotiation yet, but you can keep that roll for if you *do* try to Negotiate a better payout with this person.

Sir Gabes: SinceDoc is directly trying to drive a bargain, he now needs to roll Negotiation to see how well he sells it to the dwarf.

The dward harumphs. "Well, I said tha' they MIGHT have corporate ties. We don't know fer sure, which is where you come in. Look, this is a CLUB-slash-BAR, but Ares HQ, and I already promised bonuses if the documents are useful to us."

Frosty
2013-03-21, 02:11 PM
Dwarf rolls negotiation: [roll0]

The dwarf stands firm on his price, but makes an alternative offer. "How about this? I offer you 10,000 nuyen, BUT...if you guys get shot at by the new gang while you're trying to steal the documents, the total pay for successful mission goes up to 16000 nuyen, before the document bonus?"

Maugan Ra
2013-03-21, 02:22 PM
"I'll keep the first offer, cheers." Mouse says, smiling slightly. "A man might do stupid things when he knows his payment goes up if he gets shot at. And in the same vein of removing the temptation for really bad ideas, let's just call it three grand apiece, and not twelve split between us."

He pauses, aware that some of those present are staring at him. "Look, once you've worked with some of the proper scum out there, you start confirming this drek before hand."

Frosty
2013-03-21, 02:31 PM
The lieutenant shrugs. "Fine. Less for me ta pay if your fuse runs out. But I'm not paying more if you recruit more people into your team. Now, the situation is basic. We know the basic layout of the club, but we don't know exactly where any safes are stored. We can't get scouts near because the Nukes are kind of well-known in the Barrens. They'd recognize us and our Nuke tattoos too easily. Ya might want to go to a different dive to gather some information. Mebbe ask others who may have patronized the club since the change of ownership. The club is also looking for...new talent of the...nude female persuasion, but that of course doesn't help any o' ya."

Sir_Gabes
2013-03-21, 10:51 PM
Docbox stepped back. He had a bad feeling about this. He let mouse take the reigns. His attempt at negotiation was undermined, but he didn't care. He only hoped the Nukes would pay up front. He kicked the ground, he was clearly grumpy again. The group could only assume he'd complain about it later, as usual. This run didn't sound routine and he had never run with Rover before. The thought of running with that unstable addict scared him a little.

Frendle
2013-03-23, 01:41 PM
"Do you think it would be possible for one of us to simply go to the club as a patron to get a look at security?" Et'Thir asks his question directed as much toward the Dwarf as the rest of the team.

Frosty
2013-03-23, 08:26 PM
"Ya might be able to see some of the guards, but you probably won't see any important safe-type places from the public area."

Abombom
2013-03-24, 04:47 PM
Nude female persuasion... Rover had taken the forms of many animals over the years...Rats, birds, mostly just dogs... But he had read online that the spell he worked for shapechanging could be used to take the for of any non-meta creature. This included humans, but not paracritters or metahumans. This begged two questions: Were trolls, elves, the SURGE'd, drakes, and whatever manifestation magic decided to evoke in humanity not really... human? And what the hell was it like to change gender?

The young shaman kept his mouth shut regarding the possibly good idea. He hadn't attempted the odd transformation yet, and he'll be damned if he was going to try it for the first time on a job.

He kept listening for any more details.

Frosty
2013-03-27, 01:12 AM
"So you gonna take the job then? If so here's 1000 nuyen in credsticks up front, for whatever palms need to be greased or what have you. The remaining will be paid upon your successful return. Any more questions? Here's my trix' dropbox when you wish to report something."

(not sure why everyone stopped posting...)

Sir_Gabes
2013-03-27, 02:18 AM
"I suppose I'm in... As long as everyone else is."
Docbox looked around to gauge his companions reactions. There must be something more to this. These guys are more than just a bunch ill-tempered dwarves sticking it to the man.

I haven't stopped posting by the way. I just didn't have anything to say.

Frendle
2013-03-27, 08:46 AM
"I'm happy with the deal." Et'Thir moves forward and holds his hand out for the cred sticks. "You got a deal chummer."

Frosty
2013-03-27, 10:27 AM
The dwarf hands over the credstick and gives the elf a half-hearted handshake before snapping his fingers. "We expect the info within 5 days." The bodyguards pack up and they start walking away unless you have any questions. So, what is your next step? You have the address of "Top Dog" of course, and you can go there immediately if you wish. Or, you can try gathering information elsewhere before going.

Sir_Gabes
2013-03-28, 06:35 PM
"Right! No sense in standing around here!"
Docbox shouldered his shotguns. He took the Cred stick from the Red Nukes leader. As the group left, he looked around at the group.
"Where to next? We could probably get some information from employees of the Top Dog."
Docbox was glad the Nukes leader didn't ask him to kill. This job should be simple enough.
"What do you think Mouse, do you want to scope it out or go in hot?"

Abombom
2013-04-01, 02:52 PM
Rover pocketed the credstick given and smiled. This pitiful amount was more than he had seen in a long time... But he remembered his roots, too. When he was younger, he would have risked his own life just to get a quarter of this amount. In fact, he had, multiple times.

The dwarves... vibrated as they left. They appeared to grow large one moment, bigger than a troll, then small the next, smaller than a child. Rover shook his head and focused his cybereyes on them, making the hallucination vanish. The Zen was still in full effect.

"I can check it out, too. Right now, even. Can just zoom on in via the astral. Will probably only take a few minutes... I'll be passed out in the meanwhile though." Rover coughed. "C'mon Doc, you're used to seeing me passed out anyway, just make sure the rats don't get me, heh heh." Rover glared at Doc, trying to smile, but failing to. He felt his spirit was smiling, and that was surely enough, wasn't it? Zen could be weird like that sometimes.

If there aren't objections, Rover sits down against a wall and astrally projects. If there are, then he can wait till later.

Sir_Gabes
2013-04-01, 04:36 PM
"Your mad Rover, but I will remain here and make sure no one can get at you. Just be fast, I don't want to hang around in this dump any longer than I have to."
Docbox sat against the wall alongside Rover. He readied his weapon and got comfortable.
"When is the last time you showered by the way?"

Frosty
2013-04-04, 08:08 AM
(if you guys want to get the spell started or perhaps go back to the clinic and then do that then go ahead. I'll PM the others today)

Abombom
2013-04-06, 03:55 AM
Rover tried to come off as loud and confident but instead came off as quiet and monotone. "Showered? I'm clean, man, clean as can be. Sewers just be a nasty place. Need some nice blue..." He paused as his cybereyes shifted from red to blue for a moment. "...waters down here, make it squeaky clean."

The astral world was on his mind as he adjusted the crimson dress shirt he was wearing underneath his armored jacket. "Just watch out for me, eh? You don't have anything to worry about!" Rover dramatically raised his two fists, ready to give a thumbs up with both his hands in Docbox's direction... when he suddenly heard an awkward thud, the noise of human skull hitting concrete. His skull.

He had projected outside of his body before finishing the gesture, not able to handle both the thought of the astral and the thumbs up at the same time. His body didn't get the memo and fell awkwardly to the floor. See... nothing to worry about at all? His astral form, floating above the party, gave the thumbs up, with no one but himself to notice.

-

Rover was in his element in what mankind called the astral plane. Travel was fast on this plane. Just last week he had been halfway across the world in Berlin with his spirits. The hard part would be orienting himself and trying to read the real world's signs and landmarks... Everything that wasn't alive was rather blurry on the astral. Maybe he should have consulted a map first.

He began calling his spirits. First, the watchers, all of whom had the form of various different races of dog. "Sparky! Rex! Max! Timber! We got work to do." Then, he called the rest of his spirits and set off to see what he could find out.