PDA

View Full Version : What's a good PrC for a combat focused Cleric of Kord?

Malak'ai
2013-03-04, 02:53 AM
Hello Playground.

I've come here looking for a bit of advice for a major NPC in a game I'm running.
I'm trying to find what PrC would be best for a (large) Great Sword wielding Cleric of Kord.
I'm looking for something that will give a bit of "Ooph" to the build while not cutting into spellcasting too much (I still want 9th lvl spells), while not having him over-shadowing the main melee character in the group.

I don't mind re-fluffing some aspects of the PrC (eg; Deity specific PrC's like Shining Blade of Heironeous becoming Shining Blade of (Your Deity here)), but I don't want to make so many changes that you lose all the flavour of it.

So please, any suggestions? Nearly all official WotC material allowed, except Dragon Mag (or Dragon Compendium).

Coidzor
2013-03-04, 03:16 AM
Knight of the Raven, Ruby Knight Vindicator, and Bone Knight are the usual martial-themed divine caster PrCs as I recall.

Vindicators require some finagling to keep 9ths though, as I recall, or leaving the class early.

Malak'ai
2013-03-04, 03:36 AM
I know what book RKV is in, but what are the sources for the others?

Arcanist
2013-03-04, 03:45 AM

Bone Knight is in Five Nations and Knight of the Raven is from Expedition to castle Ravenloft.

Coidzor
2013-03-04, 03:46 AM

The Expedition to Castle Ravenloft adventure has Knight of the Raven in it and Bone Knight is from Five Nations, IIRC, an Eberron book.

Malak'ai
2013-03-04, 03:52 AM
*Head Smack* Books I don't have...
Looks like I'm going scrounging...

Ithandor
2013-03-04, 03:54 AM
Check out Fist of Raziel from BoED either! Full BAB, 9/10 casting, various smite abilities. Ordained Champion from CC is also good.

Lonely Tylenol
2013-03-04, 04:08 AM
Ordained Champion, from Complete Champion, the breakfast book of champions, is a good five-level PrC for combat-focused Clerics, although it does lose two caster levels in the process, so use sparingly.

Malak'ai
2013-03-04, 04:08 AM
Thank you! Fist of Raziel looks good. Just have to re-fluff the Alignment a little and suck up the useless feat needed to enter.

Lonely Tylenol
2013-03-04, 04:19 AM
Thank you! Fist of Raziel looks good. Just have to re-fluff the Alignment a little and suck up the useless feat needed to enter.

If you're re-fluffing alignments, see if you can take a level in Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm)... Of Freedom (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm).

:smallwink:

It'll net you Paladin spells on your Cleric spell list. This can include some real gems out of the Spell Compendium, such as Find the Gap (Pal3), Blessing of Bahamut (Pal3), Divine Sacrifice (Pal1), Rhino's Rush (Pal1), and Deafening Clang (Pal1), especially if DMM:Persistomancy is involved.

Malak'ai
2013-03-04, 04:26 AM
If you're re-fluffing alignments, see if you can take a level in Prestige Paladin... Of Freedom.

:smallwink:

Haha... Nah. Wanna keeps his feet on the ground :smalltongue:.

EDIT: He's not a DMM Cleric... He has another Cleric in the party that looks after that sort of thing.

Malak'ai
2013-03-04, 06:51 PM
Anyone else got any other suggestions?

Coidzor
2013-03-04, 06:56 PM
I think all of the really notable ones have been mentioned already, mostly there's not that many, due to the problem of loss of casting.

Malak'ai
2013-03-04, 09:30 PM
I think all of the really notable ones have been mentioned already, mostly there's not that many, due to the problem of loss of casting.

Ah, sweet as then. Thank you all :smallbiggrin:

navar100
2013-03-04, 10:08 PM
Stay cleric.

Why must, must it have a prestige class? Single class cleric can do just fine. Pick the appropriate spells and feats and go to town. Quicken Divine Favor/Divine Power is a nice combo. At high level there's Quicken Divine Power/Righteous Might. Perhaps have a Rod of Quicken to make things easier. Favoring Divine Power provides incentive to have various feats warriors like. Power Attack alone is nice, but you can also do the Shock Trooper/Leap Attack shtick. That's just being simple in ideas. More can be done.

Malak'ai
2013-03-05, 04:10 AM
Well apart from the "Oomph" to the combat side of things, it'll give me some more RP fodder.
And as I said, I don't want to step on the toes of/over shadow the main melee character.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-05, 04:33 AM
Four levels of Divine Oracle is pretty good for a melee Cleric, and you can get its feat prerequisite for 2,000 gp via the Frog God's Fane in Complete Scoundrel. Not all that great if you aren't persisting Divine Power, but still useful for some defensive abilities.

drax75
2013-03-05, 12:00 PM
How about Bone Knight? Good tanking stuff. Looks good for a melee cleric who wants some survivability.

http://dndtools.eu/classes/bone-knight/

MidgetMarine
2013-03-05, 01:11 PM
Knight of the Raven is a good class.

I know a friend who is playing one. Lots of fun. Especially with the raven's abilities.

http://dndtools.eu/classes/knight-of-the-raven/

Coidzor
2013-03-05, 05:32 PM
Well apart from the "Oomph" to the combat side of things, it'll give me some more RP fodder.
And as I said, I don't want to step on the toes of/over shadow the main melee character.

You still wanna stay in the same ballpark so that there's not problems for the DM in making encounters for you though, especially since this is a focus of this character too. You can have more than one character that's good in a fight, in fact, it's recommended, last I checked. :smallwink:

You're a cleric so that's probably not really as big of a potential issue, though...

Malak'ai
2013-03-05, 06:06 PM
You still wanna stay in the same ballpark so that there's not problems for the DM in making encounters for you though, especially since this is a focus of this character too. You can have more than one character that's good in a fight, in fact, it's recommended, last I checked. :smallwink:

You're a cleric so that's probably not really as big of a potential issue, though...

Yeah, but as I said in the OP I am the Dm and this Cleric is an NPC, so I only want him to be the "work horse" in melee, the guy who is always there, doing his job quietly and competently while occasionally being able to step up into the lime light when it's truly needed, but not hogging it all the time.