PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Warrior Water Orc Bloodstorm Blade build advice

ranger557
2013-03-04, 04:02 AM
I needed to flesh out my character I had in mind. So I am presenting my build to see what you guys think of the build and its abilities? what are good feats overall and magic items that can make this character good at melee and range? Thanks :smallsmile:

level 7(LA buy off)

Warbld1/Barb1/Ftr1/Warbld2/BsB2 (32 point buy)

Race & template(used LA buyoff): Mineral Warrior Water Orc

Str: 22(level4&8)
Dex: 14
Con: 18
Int: 10
Wis: 10
Cha: 8

Weapons: +1 Greataxe, Masterwork javelin
Feats: Point blank shot, Far shot, Power Attack, Improved Bullrush, Shock Trooper
Flaws: Shaky

Magic items I am thinking: Gauntlets of extended range, scouts headband, anklet of translocation, ring of protection +1, Healing belt, sundark googles
Armor: +1 chain shirt

Lonely Tylenol
2013-03-04, 04:17 AM
I needed to flesh out my character I had in mind. So I am presenting my build to see what you guys think of the build and its abilities? what are good feats overall and magic items that can make this character good at melee and range? Thanks :smallsmile:

level 7(LA buy off)

Warbld1/Barb1/Ftr1/Warbld2/BsB2 (32 point buy)

Race & template(used LA buyoff): Mineral Warrior Water Orc

Str: 22(level4&8)
Dex: 14
Con: 18
Int: 10
Wis: 10
Cha: 8

Weapons: +1 Greataxe, Masterwork javelin
Feats: Point blank shot, Far shot, Power Attack, Improved Bullrush, Shock Trooper
Flaws: Shaky

Magic items I am thinking: Gauntlets of extended range, scouts headband, anklet of translocation, ring of protection +1, Healing belt, sundark googles
Armor: +1 chain shirt

As I'm sure you are aware, it is useful to have at least as many magic weapons as you have thrown weapon attacks in a round, as the returning weapon property doesn't return the weapons you throw until the beginning of your next turn (read: you can't throw the same weapon multiple times in the same turn).

The Brutal Throw feat (Complete Adventurer, p. 106) adds your STR modifier to attack rolls with thrown weapons instead of your DEX mod. This is a +4 for you, and will only continue to improve as you get stronger. Right. Thunderous Throw. Carry on.

Um... If you're making iterative weapon throws with two-handed weapons (read: a thing you want to do), you are going to want either the Quick Draw feat (so you can draw multiple weapons) or multiple Least Crystals of Return (Magic Item Compendium, p. 65), so that you can draw additional weapons to throw as a free action.

To be honest, I don't know all that much about Bloodstorm Blades, so I'll let somebody else make suggestions beyond that...

Fouredged Sword
2013-03-04, 11:34 AM
Blood storm blade nicely gets around the lots of weapon issue with thrown weapons. Consider a +1 distance greatax for a nice cushy 40ft range increment or a +1 distance spear for distance shots (80ft).

Another option is to use a +1 keen distance falchion and use blood in the water + the ability to attack everything once per round. Carry a large bag of rats and dump them out for a blood in the water boost.\

Note, avoid the javelin. It takes -4 to attack rolls when you use your bloodstorm blade abilities as it counts as a melee attack. Instead use a normal spear or shortspear. Yes the range is 10ft shorter, but you can throw it two range increments further before the penalties match.

Snowbluff
2013-03-04, 12:32 PM
Another option is to use a +1 keen distance falchion and use blood in the water + the ability to attack everything once per round. Carry a large bag of rats and dump them out for a blood in the water boost.\

Chicken Infested: "What? Every time I draw a weapon to throw it as a free action, I get more chickens to hit!"

ranger557
2013-03-05, 10:56 AM
Blood storm blade nicely gets around the lots of weapon issue with thrown weapons. Consider a +1 distance greatax for a nice cushy 40ft range increment or a +1 distance spear for distance shots (80ft).

Note, avoid the javelin. It takes -4 to attack rolls when you use your bloodstorm blade abilities as it counts as a melee attack. Instead use a normal spear or shortspear. Yes the range is 10ft shorter, but you can throw it two range increments further before the penalties match.

Thanks for the clarification about the spear and the javelin....I didn't really think the javelin would get the -4 when I use the Thunderous Throw ability. I guess I would go Greataxe and Spear than. However, in the distance magical ability.....it ONLY affects ranged weapons, so that ability couldn't apply to both weapons....maybe the spear if the DM allows it to be counted as ranged as well as melee.

I have Far Shot and gauntlets of extended range, so those two should give me good range, I talked to my DM and he said he will allow them to be stacked but additive x2 +x2 = x3 like the multipler stacking. So right now I have 30 ft. for the Greataxe and I would have 60 ft. for the spear. What other feats or magic items extend range? :smallbiggrin:

Fouredged Sword
2013-03-05, 11:29 AM
The greatax is an improvised thrown weapon with a 10ft range increment. If a throwing ax is a ranged weapon (and it is on the ranged weapon chart for enchantments in the SRD as a common ranged weapon), then a spear should be a ranged weapon as well.

The criteria seems to be that they have a range increment as a thrown weapon.

If you can't pull off distance on the greatax, I would just use the spear. Yes, the -2 damage hurts, but just enchant it with flaming or some such and call it a day. Not trying to enchant two weapons will save you a lot of cost in the long run.

gallagher
2013-03-05, 03:08 PM
The greatax is an improvised thrown weapon with a 10ft range increment. If a throwing ax is a ranged weapon (and it is on the ranged weapon chart for enchantments in the SRD as a common ranged weapon), then a spear should be a ranged weapon as well.

If you can't pull off distance on the greatax, I would just use the spear. Yes, the -2 damage hurts, but just enchant it with flaming or some such and call it a day. Not trying to enchant two weapons will save you a lot of cost in the long run.

except that he is throwing a lot of weapons per turn. I do suggest getting a Gauntlet of Infinite Blades. You know, in case.

Fouredged Sword
2013-03-06, 07:36 AM
It returns instantly after each attack while using bloodstorm blade, though a gauntlet of knives is a great backup weapon, as they are knives of force and thus hit incorporial without a miss chance.

Bloodstorm blade really fixes a lot of the issues with throwing weapons.

Darrin
2013-03-06, 07:54 AM
It returns instantly after each attack while using bloodstorm blade

Only when he reaches Bloodstorm Blade 4 and gets Lightning Ricochet. Until then, his weapons don't return.

Jopustopin
2013-03-06, 08:13 AM
I'd actually go human to grab the bonus feat. This was stored in my OneNote and was based on something that I started playing once. Notes indicate that build is based on Zombiegleemax's "Goat-Ball MVP." But with changes based on what books were allowed in the game.

Basically you get to make a sunder, trip, and attack against every opponent on the battlefield.

1) WB (Power Attack, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (GreatspearCW)
2) WB
3) Fighter (Combat Expertise, Improved Sunder)
4) Fighter (Far Shot)
5) Warblade
6) BSB (Weapon Focus: Greatspear)
7) BSB
8) BSB (Weapon Specialization: Greatspear)
9) BSB (Ranged Weapon Mastery)
10) BSB
11) Master Thrower (Deadeye shot)
12) Exotic Weapon Master (Improved Trip)
13) BSB (Combat Brute)
14) BSB
15) BSB (Improved Critical: Greatspear)
16) BSB
17) BSB

Attack everyone within range, think it's 600 with a distance greatspear. Start with a sunder, if it's successful combat brute allows you to make a free attack at the same attack bonus. Make it a trip attempt (exotic weapon master allows you to trip with a greatspear). If successful follow that up with a normal attack (from improved trip). Since it counts as a melee attack they get easier to hit when they are tripped.

ericgrau
2013-03-06, 10:38 AM
Through alternate offensive items like boots of speed, strength & dexterity boosters, a belt of battle, etc., you can delay the need for magic weapons until around level 13. Throwing weapons can stay viable until then because you don't need to pay for multiple magic weapons.

At level 13 and up you need to find a trick or a backup plan.

ranger557
2013-03-06, 07:09 PM

Hmmmm never thought of the Greataxe as that......I will definitely ask my DM if he will allow me the distance ability.....Also I rather have a big awesome axe than a small pointy stick lol. :smalltongue:

I'd actually go human to grab the bonus feat. This was stored in my OneNote and was based on something that I started playing once. Notes indicate that build is based on Zombiegleemax's "Goat-Ball MVP." But with changes based on what books were allowed in the game.

Basically you get to make a sunder, trip, and attack against every opponent on the battlefield.

1) WB (Power Attack, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (GreatspearCW)
2) WB
3) Fighter (Combat Expertise, Improved Sunder)
4) Fighter (Far Shot)
5) Warblade
6) BSB (Weapon Focus: Greatspear)
7) BSB
8) BSB (Weapon Specialization: Greatspear)
9) BSB (Ranged Weapon Mastery)
10) BSB
11) Master Thrower (Deadeye shot)
12) Exotic Weapon Master (Improved Trip)
13) BSB (Combat Brute)
14) BSB
15) BSB (Improved Critical: Greatspear)
16) BSB
17) BSB

Attack everyone within range, think it's 600 with a distance greatspear. Start with a sunder, if it's successful combat brute allows you to make a free attack at the same attack bonus. Make it a trip attempt (exotic weapon master allows you to trip with a greatspear). If successful follow that up with a normal attack (from improved trip). Since it counts as a melee attack they get easier to hit when they are tripped.

How are you getting 600 feet of distance with the Greatspear???? :confused:......it only has 10 ft. increment range to start off with.

Through alternate offensive items like boots of speed, strength & dexterity boosters, a belt of battle, etc., you can delay the need for magic weapons until around level 13. Throwing weapons can stay viable until then because you don't need to pay for multiple magic weapons.

At level 13 and up you need to find a trick or a backup plan.

Hmmm really?.....but what about DR/Magic, that comes up quite a bit in low to mid levels. Also why is throwing weapons not a viable choice past level 13?

ericgrau
2013-03-06, 07:32 PM
Oil of magic weapon early on, or I suppose multiple +1 weapons are affordable later. The thing is you also need other metal types or alignment based weapon and often DR is a lost cause on any permanent item even for regular melee. Then you get align weapon, oil of magic weapon, silversheen, masterwork cold iron, etc.

Like I said at level 13 and above you need a magic weapon to keep up with other builds that use one, so paying for multiple thrown weapons isn't practical. The purpose of all the other non-weapon offensive items is to delay that need as long as possible because once you have to start paying for a magic weapon then that's when thrown weapons get screwed. Unless you find a workaround to keep up.

For example Stormlord (Complete Divine) and gauntlets (gloves?) of endless javelins (MiC) helps thrown javelins scale and keeps them viable at later levels without paying for 5 magic javelins. But I'm not sure if that's compatible with the melee aspects of your build.

Jopustopin
2013-03-07, 08:58 AM
How are you getting 600 feet of distance with the Greatspear???? :confused:......it only has 10 ft. increment range to start off with.

Great Spear (10 feet)
Ranged Weapon Mastery (30 Feet)
Far Shot (60 feet)
Distance Greatspear (120 Feet)

A thrown weapon has a maximum range of five range increments.
0 - 120 = 1
120 - 240 = 2
240 - 360 = 3
360 - 480 = 4
480 - 600 = 5

Although the order of operation might be
Great Spear (10 feet)
Distance great Spear (20 feet)
Ranged Weapon Mastery (50 feet)
Far Shot (100 feet)

Fouredged Sword
2013-03-07, 10:22 AM
Dr is less of an issue for a warblade due to the hammer line. I think that you should just go with a greatax or spear for now wit ha gauntlet of daggers for iteratives. Don't worry too much about it coming back to you, as you can just keep throwing as many knives as you want.

You should be doing standard action strikes though, so the knives shouldn't come up except for turns that you are refreshing.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-03-07, 10:30 AM
Actually I think the gloves of Endless javelins are better, IIRC the gauntlet of infinite blades needs to spend charges to make force daggers, while the Gloves doesn't. Also AFAIR you don'y have to use your thunderous throw ability so you can avoid the -4 of using javelins in melee.