PDA

View Full Version : 9th level Cleric visiting Positive plane

gibbo88
2013-03-04, 04:14 AM
So in the current campaign one my temporary character is about to visit some sort of Positive energy plane to retrieve my actual character. This is basically a more intricate way to recover a character to avoid a revolving door process from ressurection. Anyway, he has a bit of time to come up with ways to protect himself, 23 wisdom and access to a wizard with >20 int. So I figure that whatever the playground could come up with is something they could come up with.

Thoughts? Additional necessary information?

Also has Extend spell and an empty feat slot.

Giarc
2013-03-04, 04:17 AM
Try not to explode when you are on there. The plane heals you so much, you rupture with positive energy.

gibbo88
2013-03-04, 04:20 AM
Sorry, should have been more specific - helpful ways to survive on such a plane. :smallamused:

Lonely Tylenol
2013-03-04, 04:31 AM
I think "don't explode" is the most helpful advice anybody can give you regarding the Positive Energy plane... :smalleek:

Specifically, one should try to accrue a Planar Bubble (Spell Compendium, p. 158; Clr7, Sor/Wiz7) if at all possible, and if not, make it clear to your DM that filling up with feelgood energy until you pop like an overfilled balloon is an "overtly negative trait", and thus Avoid Planar Effects (Spell Compendium, p. 19; Clr2, Dru2, Sor/Wiz3) should provide adequate protection. (It makes specific mention of it doing so, but be sure that your DM knows this.)

This is probably the single most dangerous thing about the Positive Energy plane. At least, that I can think of.

gibbo88
2013-03-04, 04:43 AM
The DM is...unlikely to make me explode but all the same, I'll put that on the list.

Ithandor
2013-03-04, 05:29 AM
The better-duration option is Attune Form, Cleric 3, also from Spell Compendium.

TuggyNE
2013-03-04, 05:34 AM
The DM is...unlikely to make me explode but all the same, I'll put that on the list.

Za? It's a thing that happens by RAW; it doesn't require any DM fiat to trigger, rather the reverse. You do, however, get a short initial reprieve to do whatever you can, but that won't last more than a few minutes, likely.

Medic!
2013-03-04, 09:02 AM
I'm pretty sure (not looking this up will probably bite me in the behind) that a Ring of Positive Protection out of the MIC is pretty cheap, especially around that level.

Or find a way to wiggle your way into the Vivacious Creature template from the Planar Handbook :smallbiggrin:

Psycho Yuffie
2013-03-04, 09:08 AM
I think one of my friends said that there is a magic ring that deals damage to you per round when you wear it. This keeps you from going over maximum hit points in the positive plane.

Frosty
2013-03-04, 09:15 AM
If all else fails, start stabbing yourself every round.

Story
2013-03-04, 09:48 AM
Become a Necropolitan. Undead are immune to the PEP.

drax75
2013-03-04, 12:36 PM
If all else fails, start stabbing yourself every round.

Yea this, just make sure you attack yourself every few seconds....

Who knows maybe you can get a free toughness feat from your Dm after your done hahaha

gibbo88
2013-03-05, 01:22 AM
I'm (IC and OOC) not really expecting him to come back from this retrieval mission anyway, so the stabbing should work.

Seems like that's the main detrimental thing about the plane...I suppose anything I meet there should really be "good"?

AntiTrust
2013-03-05, 01:36 AM
I'm (IC and OOC) not really expecting him to come back from this retrieval mission anyway, so the stabbing should work.

Seems like that's the main detrimental thing about the plane...I suppose anything I meet there should really be "good"?

Its a near empty plane and has very little in way of native life.

Story
2013-03-05, 09:02 AM
There are pockets of inhabitation in the areas where the planar effects aren't as strong.

Though by RAW, you'd expect the place to be colonized by undead and constructs.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-05, 02:24 PM
Bring a way to breath. The positive energy plane itself has no air. Oh, and sunglasses. Bring sunglasses.

mregecko
2013-03-05, 03:27 PM
we always just put caltrops in our boots on the Positive Energy Plane. IIRC it was enough to counteract the HP you get on average.