PDA

View Full Version : Rulings on cleric racial domains?

Scarce
2013-03-04, 04:31 AM
After a few unsuccessful searches of the internet, I find myself with a quandary. Can a cleric of one race (let's say an elf) adopt the domain of another race (a kobold, for example?)

Background: I'm running a small party through the 3.5 Tomb of Horrors and (to make things appropriately challenging) I'm ensuring the players build their characters as RAW as possible, and keep cheese to a minimum, with all official WotC sources a legal option. One player has decided to build a rouge-ish cleric using the kobold domain (from an online supplement,) despite being an elf. Not broken, per se, but cheesy. The question I have is: is it illegal?

Ithandor
2013-03-04, 05:57 AM
From page 32 of the PHB:

Deity, Domains, and Domain Spells: Choose a deity for your
cleric. Sample deities are listed on Table 3–7: Deities and described
on page 106–108. The cleric’s deity influences his alignment, what
magic he can perform, his values, and how others see him. You may
also choose for your cleric to have no deity.
If the typical worshipers of a deity include the members of a race,
a cleric must be of the indicated race to choose that deity as his own.
(The god may have occasional worshipers of other races, but not
clerics.)

Ashtagon
2013-03-04, 07:05 AM
After a few unsuccessful searches of the internet, I find myself with a quandary. Can a cleric of one race (let's say an elf) adopt the domain of another race (a kobold, for example?)

Background: I'm running a small party through the 3.5 Tomb of Horrors and (to make things appropriately challenging) I'm ensuring the players build their characters as RAW as possible, and keep cheese to a minimum, with all official WotC sources a legal option. One player has decided to build a rouge-ish cleric using the kobold domain (from an online supplement,) despite being an elf. Not broken, per se, but cheesy. The question I have is: is it illegal?

This all depends on whether you are requiring deities or not.

If you require deities to be selected, then they must choose two domains from their deity. And Most (all?) deities that grant racial domains also require their priests to be of that race.

If you aren't using the deities, then there's no RAW restriction on racial domains.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-03-04, 11:14 AM
This all depends on whether you are requiring deities or not.

If you require deities to be selected, then they must choose two domains from their deity. And Most (all?) deities that grant racial domains also require their priests to be of that race.

If you aren't using the deities, then there's no RAW restriction on racial domains.

This is 100% correct.

I say go with dieties required, make them play a Kobold cleric of Kurtulmak it will undoubtedly be cooler than any Elf. You'll be doing them a favor! Kurtulmak also has Trickery and Luck btw.

Darrin
2013-03-04, 01:35 PM
One player has decided to build a rouge-ish cleric using the kobold domain (from an online supplement,) despite being an elf. Not broken, per se, but cheesy. The question I have is: is it illegal?

Mostly illegal. There are a couple ways around this, however:

Domain Draught (8000 GP, MIC). Grants access to a domain for 24 hours. The MIC version does not mention any restrictions, although the DMGII version mentions that if a cleric that gains access to a domain or casts spells that is opposed to his alignment, then he may need to atone for that.

Planar Touchstone feat (Planar Handbook). Spend 250 GP on a touchstone to "link" yourself to a planar site and gain access to its base ability. The base ability of the Catalogues of Enlightenment is you gain the domain power (but not spells) of a cleric domain. The Catalogues don't have any restriction on who you worship or what domains you have access to. If the PC just wants trapfinding and doesn't want to bother with planar touchstones, he can get that with Shape Soulmeld: Theft Gloves and Open Least Chakra: Hands.

Story
2013-03-04, 02:08 PM
Domain Draught (8000 GP, MIC). Grants access to a domain for 24 hours. The MIC version does not mention any restrictions, although the DMGII version mentions that if a cleric that gains access to a domain or casts spells that is opposed to his alignment, then he may need to atone for that.

Note that this was intentional. The writers of MiC felt that the DMG restriction made it too weak to be worthwhile.

Scarce
2013-03-04, 05:50 PM
A million thanks! I'll requiring deities as per the normal pantheon and let him know to change his build for Friday.

In order to survive the Tomb of Horrors, he'll be better off playing a good cleric and taking advantage of spontaneous healing. And now I can quote rules instead of complaining about cheese! :smallbiggrin:

HunterOfJello
2013-03-04, 05:53 PM
A million thanks! I'll requiring deities as per the normal pantheon and let him know to change his build for Friday.

In order to survive the Tomb of Horrors, he'll be better off playing a good cleric and taking advantage of spontaneous healing. And now I can quote rules instead of complaining about cheese! :smallbiggrin:

Having trapfinding without having to sacrifice a level into Rogue is far more useful then being able to heal spontaneously.

Ashtagon
2013-03-04, 06:09 PM
Having trapfinding without having to sacrifice a level into Rogue is far more useful then being able to heal spontaneously.

This. If it's anything like the original Tomb of Horrors, hit points are irrelevant.

Story
2013-03-04, 06:59 PM
Plus the 3.5 edition of ToH explicitly encourages the 15 minute adventuring day, and there are barely any combat encounters. Just grab a wand of Lesser Vigor and be done with it.

Anyway, he can still get Trapfinding via the 2nd level spell Substitute Domain.

Psyren
2013-03-04, 07:07 PM
Note that two incarnum feats can get you always-on Trapfinding without having to rely on dubious domain rulings or potentially pissing off your deity.

Scarce
2013-03-04, 07:46 PM
This. If it's anything like the original Tomb of Horrors, hit points are irrelevant.

This is actually the party's second run through the Tomb. Three of fou characters died and the survivor is bringing a new party back (played by the same players.) Of the deaths, two were hit point damage, and one touched the statue. Given their record, a dedicated healer might be a good call.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-03-04, 08:31 PM
Anyway, he can still get Trapfinding via the 2nd level spell Substitute Domain.

No, they can't: "Upon casting substitute domain, you can swap one of your current domains for another that your deity offers."