PDA

View Full Version : Protect my monsters from being turned.

Ketiara
2013-03-04, 07:01 AM
So in my groupe there's a cleric that has a feat or something allowing him to turn demons or perhaps anything with evil in the discriptor (not sure about that last part).
Now that's all good and fine, but is there any good, easy, expensive or whatever way of protecting monsters from being turned? Both like being immune and raising the DC?

TuggyNE
2013-03-04, 07:15 AM
Get a cleric with a similar feat/ACF/whatever to bolster the critters instead of turning them?

I don't think turn resistance is generally available except to undead.

Parra
2013-03-04, 07:17 AM
More Minions. AFAIK turning cannot be targeted and goes for the lowest HD in the area first, not the closest.

Vaz
2013-03-04, 07:57 AM
To turn Outsiders, he likely has Turn Anathema (Cleric 2 Spell); Choose a Non-neutral aspect of your alignment, and for 10 minutes/CL, can Turn creatures of opposing Alignment Subtype.

Try hitting him with targeted dispels, Devils and Demons have a lot of them. Or discover his alignment, and then hit him subtyped Outsiders that are opposite. Ie, if he's a Lawful Good, and he casts Turn Anathema, then he has to choose either Chaotic or Evil; but a Lawful Good outsider who has a bit of beef with him cannot be affected by it. Or indeed a True Neutral. Of course, that might just be one of them things that's against the storyline; and sadly, it's breaking it.

If he's going for Radiant Servant of Pelor (I'm guessing through his turning Optimization), his Greater Turning will be a massive PiTA. There's no Turn Resistance for Outsider's though.

The problem is as well, spells and classes and templates specify Undead; although you are treated as Undead for the Casters Turning ability, you are not eligible to recieve the Turn bonus as you aren't Undead.

TuggyNE
2013-03-04, 07:57 AM
More Minions. AFAIK turning cannot be targeted and goes for the lowest HD in the area first, not the closest.

No, it's closest first. Minions may work, you just have to position them as a turnshield. :smallwink:

mattie_p
2013-03-04, 09:29 AM
No, it's closest first. Minions may work, you just have to position them as a turnshield. :smallwink:

Create a few dozen rat zombies, keep them in a bag of holding. Dump them out in front of you when the battle starts. This is if it works on all evil.

Parra
2013-03-04, 09:46 AM

My mistake, you are correct.

But like you said the tactic still stands. Just have the minions beside you (or on you)

Ketiara
2013-03-04, 12:44 PM
Ok it sounds like its the aforementioned spell that's in play, thus a dispel magic will work. But apart from that being boring in the long run, I feel a house rule might be the way to go, perhaps a rule that makes the normal ways of protecting undeads work on demons and devils... Any ideas on that area?

navar100
2013-03-04, 12:50 PM
What's the point of the PC having the ability if you're just going to deny him the ability to use it?

Ketiara
2013-03-04, 12:56 PM
Not deny... Just make sure he doesn't wipe all the important baddies too fast :)
It's a matter of knowing what options that's out there.

Story
2013-03-04, 01:04 PM
Create a few dozen rat zombies, keep them in a bag of holding. Dump them out in front of you when the battle starts. This is if it works on all evil.

I prefer Tiny Viper Skeletons. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14387323)

nedz
2013-03-04, 04:34 PM
Can you not just have someone turn him first ?

Or use waves of monsters, by the time he's turned the last wave the first one has come back.

Story
2013-03-04, 07:04 PM
Turning is also blocked by Total Cover or being more than 60ft away.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-04, 07:16 PM
I think there are a couple spells that are designed to stop turning from functioning. Divine interdiction (Spell Compendium?) ? Don't know if you can stretch that to make it cover the demons or w/e, but it seems to me that it was a spell to block the class feature, not a protective buff for the turnee.

Shalist
2013-03-04, 07:29 PM
Lifeward (cleric 4, SC 131) shuts down positive energy (ie, 'turn undead') for min/lvl (or a...+4? armor enhancement)
LIFE WARD
A creature warded by this spell gains protection from the effects of positive energy, including magical healing. The spell can be cast upon undead to offer additional protection against the turning abilities of clerics. The subject is immune to all positive energy effects, including conjuration (healing) spells, channeled positive energy such as from the turn undead ability, or other effects that derive their power from positive energy.

edit: Turn Anathema in the spoiler
Turn Anathema:
For instance, if you cast turn anathema as a good spell, you could attempt to turn creatures of the evil subtype, such as demons.
You could not, however, turn a red dragon, because although it is an evil creature, it lacks the evil subtype.
This spell allows only turning, not rebuking or destroying, even if you normally rebuke rather than turn

So as you said, 'evil subtype' (ie, outsiders) only; and you don't have to worry about them being destroyed. If the BBEG has enough HD, and has mostly non-outsider (or low CR/high HD minions)...*shrug*

If its not cheesy to gear specifically for his ability (ie, he's been using it for a while), this could help put your important npc's over his HD limit:

Cloak of Turn Resistance (11,000g; MIC pg 89) +4 turn resistance

---

Additionally, turn undead requires 'line of effect,' and the target can't have total cover...so using a tower shield for total cover could conceivably shut your cleric down without being the least bit cheesy; also, Wall of ---- / dispelling screen / etc / etc would do wonders (bonus points if such obstacles have been made invisible).

edit 2: Forgot to mention...'desecrate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/desecrate.htm)' imposes a -3 profane penalty to the turn charisma check (-6 in thematically appropriate locations), and 'unhallow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/unhallow.htm)' imposes a -4 unnamed penalty to all turn checks. The Darkskull (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#darkskull) (SRD, 60k) is a portable unhallow, and half-fiends (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfFiend.htm) with 3+ HD get desecrate as a SLA, so it's not even a stretch flavor- or crunch-wise for your baddies to have access to both.