PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Putting a cleric on par

Shaynythyryas
2013-03-04, 09:26 AM
So, our current campaign has put most of our group in a situation of "could almost fight a god" at only level 16, with (far too much) powerful dm-homebrewed buffs and authorization to almost every single rule that allow us to just buy insane stuff combined with other insane stuffs, with almost unlimited wealth as one of us is now count of a vast country.

The problem is, our newest, young low-experienced player, arrived when everyone was almost overstuffed and tried to go on par with us, with a good starting money and the DM's help. He opted for a cleric of Tempus, wanting to play an agressive dwarf kinda war priest, but as for now is only level 14 and already died at least two times (maybe three, i lost count) after having put very little fight.

I'm trying to find him a good prestige class, one that would allow him to keep a good spell progression while being able to be a decent threat in hand to hand battle.

Any ideas ?

EDIT : Ur-Priest, while really powerful, would not be a good idea at all considering our really gods-oriented campaign setting.

Krazzman
2013-03-04, 09:48 AM
Ordained Champion is mentioned quite often in combination with Holy Warrior (Reserve Feat for the WAR Domain).

Else Ruby Knight Vindicator with a 1 level Crusader Dip at level 5 net's some awesome stuff to break action economy.

The other "good" prestige classes don't seem to complement his dwarven side that much. The important question: what sort of Dwarf is he? Shield or Gold or another?

Did he go for AC instead of other defensive measures, has he a good buff list? Did he go for Persistance? Overall what is his build and what is he allowed to change?

Shaynythyryas
2013-03-04, 09:56 AM
I believe he's a shield dwarf. As for his current build, he went full AC and has no buff at all (we had a bard to buff the party, which has left only a session ago).
If he had something to change, our DM is open-minded enough and well aware of him being a bit behind everyone else, so I believed he could have some feat retraining, even maybe one or two cleric-level retraining.

(other than that, I'm afraid i don't know much about his exact build.)

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-03-04, 10:03 AM
It sounds like the best answer would be get him tons of DM-homebrew like everyone else. Honestly we have no clue how strong your homebrew is.

Sight unseen though, I'd say Divine Metamagic Persist with about a hundred nightsticks and just start stacking every buff that stacks. Make sure to start the day with Karma Bead and maybe Persistent Greater Consumptive Field + a bag of rats to boost his cl.

Krazzman
2013-03-04, 10:15 AM
It sounds like the best answer would be get him tons of DM-homebrew like everyone else. Honestly we have no clue how strong your homebrew is.

Sight unseen though, I'd say Divine Metamagic Persist with about a hundred nightsticks and just start stacking every buff that stacks. Make sure to start the day with Karma Bead and maybe Persistent Greater Consumptive Field + a bag of rats to boost his cl.

This + pointing him to the Cleric Handbook. It is quite good written and helps in showing what are good/strong options and what is more or less... meh.

Only problem it has is: it's incomplete. Leaving things like Eldritch Disciple completly out of this. Cleric 4/ Warlock 1/Eldritch Disciple 10/Fullcasting PRC rest is quite good. He actually has a fitting God for this... But if he goes DMM:Persist and get's himself to use some buffs before the fights (some tactical explaining/preparation stuff) then this will probably change, give him a hint about pure AC isn't that great and he should buy that CLoak of Displacement and other stuff. Help him a bit get to your level of expertise. Also as a Persistance Cleric he should probably switch to Gold Dwarf to get a hit to Dex instead of Cha.

Shaynythyryas
2013-03-04, 10:17 AM
Thanks !
I didnt think at all about DMM Persist, and I think this can be a very good starting point to make him improve himself.

Flickerdart
2013-03-04, 10:22 AM
Maybe part of the problem is that he's two levels below the rest of the party?

Gnaeus
2013-03-04, 01:16 PM
Maybe part of the problem is that he's two levels below the rest of the party?

Given that, and the power disparity, you could always have him make a new character, and have the cleric be the cohort of the new character.