PDA

View Full Version : how much space to give a grey gaurd

RedDragons
2013-03-04, 11:57 AM
How much latitude should a grey gaurd have over a normal paladin

Venger
2013-03-04, 12:17 PM
the book is, as usual when it comes to RP, not very specific.

what it does say is that if he breaks his code of conduct (ask your player what his personal credo is) while advancing his cause (ask your player what his cause is) then if he needs an atonement, it costs no xp. if he breaks it just because, it costs xp as normal.

KoboldCleric
2013-03-04, 12:34 PM
Assuming he's a grey guard of one of the "good" gods like Heironious or Pelor I'd say anything goes so long as he's helping his Werewolf buddy spread the worship of Gruumsh. If he's doing anything else he needs to ask himself why he doesn't have a Werewolf buddy with whom he can spread the Church of Gruumsh and go from there.

RedDragons
2013-03-04, 01:15 PM
is the werewolf a inside joke?

limejuicepowder
2013-03-04, 01:37 PM
I would open it up pretty far, honestly. If a player in my campaign wanted to play a grey guard, I would allow them to do pretty much anything that could be justified from a utilitarian, ends-justify-the-means perspective. And I would not just allow a free atone, I would make them not lose their powers.

This is a pretty liberal interpretation, but I think being mechanically controlled by things that should be role-played anyways is mostly stupid.

Venger
2013-03-04, 03:09 PM
I would open it up pretty far, honestly. If a player in my campaign wanted to play a grey guard, I would allow them to do pretty much anything that could be justified from a utilitarian, ends-justify-the-means perspective. And I would not just allow a free atone, I would make them not lose their powers.

This is a pretty liberal interpretation, but I think being mechanically controlled by things that should be role-played anyways is mostly stupid.

I agree. gray guard is a pretty dumb class anyway. in order to avoid losing your paladin class features, you... give up your paladin class features. :/

I'd let them go as jack bauer as they wanted to, honestly, if they're going to devote levels and skill points to that concept

RedDragons
2013-03-04, 09:14 PM
Would you suggest other prc to full the spot

Venger
2013-03-04, 09:54 PM
Would you suggest other prc to full the spot

I'd be more than happy to. what sort of abilities does your player want?

navar100
2013-03-04, 10:02 PM
I agree. gray guard is a pretty dumb class anyway. in order to avoid losing your paladin class features, you... give up your paladin class features. :/

I'd let them go as jack bauer as they wanted to, honestly, if they're going to devote levels and skill points to that concept

I like to think of John Reese in Person Of Interest as a good Grey Guard character concept.

RedDragons
2013-03-04, 10:10 PM
Well not as much abilties, as just being able to stretch paliden farther then the base class allowes.