PDA

View Full Version : Strip 877: How Do You Think Belkar Will Feel About This?

Shatteredtower
2013-03-04, 12:22 PM
It may require for him to live through this a little longer, but how do you think Belkar will react to Durkon's death? Once upon a time he'd have just expressed contempt at the dwarf for letting himself get killed in such a lame fashion, but would that still be the case now? Would he just be upset because the dwarf failed to save him, or would he be surprised to find himself upset that the dwarf died because he'd tried to save him?

Would it have bothered him to hear Durkon say he should have known not to expect much of the halfling? Would it hurt more to hear it said that wasn't his fault? Could he possibly accept the former and reject the latter, knowing that his poor Will saves got Durkon killed?

Or would he just not get it again? I'm not so sure. He tends to be too bored to pay attention, but there really isn't anything else he can do in his current state.

Thoughts?

TopCheese
2013-03-04, 12:26 PM
My thoughts on what's to come..

The comics will be from Belkar's point of view and we will have to see the Durkon fight/death again but from the halfling perspective. Belkar will have an inner battle on why he cares that the dwarf is being killed (maybe a few jokes) and then when the dwarf finally dies.. Belkar will wig out and break the domination. Rage + Circumstantial Bonus (dying ally) will boost his will save sky high and Belkar will rage murder Malack. Just as he strikes the killing blow Malack will kill him as Roy shows up.

Roy will be stunned by Durkon's death as he watches the "evil little halfling" get revenge for Durkon's death.

After the battle (malack gets away due to being vampire) Belkar will tell Roy that it is his fault that Durkon died and appologize for it. This is where Roy freaks out haha.

From the official threat on 877

Edit: Some real character growth for the Sexy Shoeless God of War.

Rui
2013-03-04, 12:30 PM
I think he will be mad at Malack. Holding him AND killing a party member? THAT'S HIS JOB! I don't know if he will feel sad about Durkon, it's just not his way to express his feeling (his way is to stab and laugh. And sometimes he fingers! Sometimes he fingers!)

TopCheese
2013-03-04, 12:40 PM
I think he will be mad at Malack. Holding him AND killing a party member? THAT'S HIS JOB! I don't know if he will feel sad about Durkon, it's just not his way to express his feeling (his way is to stab and laugh. And sometimes he fingers! Sometimes he fingers!)

Well that is what character developement is all about, he has been faking it but now... It may just hit him.

Kinda hoping another trippy shojo dream comes along as Belkar does die though...

Gift Jeraff
2013-03-04, 12:45 PM
Malack told him to attack Durkon and then went and stole his kill? That's gotta tick Belkar off.

Oh sure, he'll rise as a vampire, but Belkar doesn't like fighting undead. Too much energy draining and not enough screaming.

Finagle
2013-03-04, 12:47 PM
:belkar: "Oh, man! That dwarf cleric got killed! Now how am I going to get another sucker to cast Restoration to restore all the levels I got drained by Malack? Life is so unfair!"

Silverionmox
2013-03-04, 01:00 PM
Belkar will, somehow, survive until the next climax... and then die in a heroic (albeit perhaps somewhat unintended, but Durkon didn't intend to get killed now either) self-sacrifice, completing his evolution towards chaotic neutral. He will thereafter specialize in mystery meat dishes for the cats of the CN afterlife.

Origomar
2013-03-04, 01:07 PM
i think either he will outright lose to malack and be turned into a vampire or the holding spell will wear off because durkon died(im not sure if this is actually in accordance to dnd rules or not, but it could just be coincidental timing also).

and then he get mad and fight smart(close his eyes and use scent, or just dont look at his eyes while hes fighting him).

I think belkar could kill him pretty easily if malack is low on spells for the day and he doesnt let himself become dominated again.

theinsulabot
2013-03-04, 04:06 PM
:belkar: no! Belkar needs to get his heal on, the few HP you get from sleeping just aren't going to cut it!

...oh and, beardy mc body odor died and I care about that because I am a good teammate.

Smolder
2013-03-04, 04:25 PM
From the official threat on 877

Edit: Some real character growth for the Sexy Shoeless God of War.

Except Belkar still doesn't stand a chance against Malack. His death ward is dismissable, he's still highly susceptible to domination and hold, and he has no anti-undead weapons or abilities.

Ellye
2013-03-04, 05:32 PM
I particularly really like the scene when Belkar noticed that "Elan" was Nale in disguise, back in Azure. He seemed really angry at Nale, and I'd expect a similar reaction here against Malack.

But, to be honest, I don't expect his domination to wear off before Malack gets away from the scene.

Minitroll
2013-03-04, 05:54 PM
I particularly really like the scene when Belkar noticed that "Elan" was Nale in disguise, back in Azure. He seemed really angry at Nale, and I'd expect a similar reaction here against Malack.

That might just be because we know Belkar 'liked' Elan the most due to most of the "Roy has boobies" jokes.

Thrax
2013-03-04, 05:56 PM
"Darn, the dwarf kicked the bucket! Who's gonna heal my wounds now?"
*angry vampire snake looms over him*
"Sh**"

Carl
2013-03-04, 06:01 PM
Depends. We've seen before that scruffy can influence him and he's clearly majorly upset right now. Is he going to go all "aww my dwarf mate died" on his own? Hell no. Could Mr Scruffy's influence and the terrible irony of :durkon:'s death push him though. Absolutely, and it would give him a circumstance bonus to his save. Remember his whole thing about "fighting for ones you care about", i think that could come back and bite Malak hard. Pun not intended.

Mike Havran
2013-03-04, 06:14 PM
:belkar: You smelly buffoon! Now the Queenhilt and the other two idiots will think it was ME who killed you! And my wonderful plan will just go up the mud creek! If you don't have the brains to bluff out the snake-moron at least have the decency to bite the dust when I can't be made responsible!!

Rui
2013-03-04, 06:25 PM
2323mike you just made my day :smallbiggrin:

This is so him!

WoLong
2013-03-04, 06:28 PM
It'd be interesting if he had some kind of moral revelation after Durkon dies, although that's probably neither likely or good for the story. However, it would be ironic if he died immediately after, and his newly gained morals might subside after becoming a vampire.

Incom
2013-03-04, 06:28 PM
Three words:

Short People Unity

Pichu999
2013-03-04, 06:44 PM
I originally thought that the vampire bite would work into the "last breath ever" shtick from the oracle. This may play a part in it, because mass death ward isn't in play here.

dps
2013-03-04, 10:30 PM
As of 878, I now expect that Belkar gets turned by Durkon, not Malack.

Stormlock
2013-03-04, 10:43 PM
That would make sense, since

Create Spawn (Su)

A humanoid or monstrous humanoid slain by a vampire’s energy drain rises as a vampire spawn 1d4 days after burial.

If the vampire instead drains the victim’s Constitution to 0 or lower, the victim returns as a spawn if it had 4 or less HD and as a vampire if it had 5 or more HD. In either case, the new vampire or spawn is under the command of the vampire that created it and remains enslaved until its master’s destruction. At any given time a vampire may have enslaved spawn totaling no more than twice its own Hit Dice; any spawn it creates that would exceed this limit are created as free-willed vampires or vampire spawn. A vampire that is enslaved may create and enslave spawn of its own, so a master vampire can control a number of lesser vampires in this fashion. A vampire may voluntarily free an enslaved spawn in order to enslave a new spawn, but once freed, a vampire or vampire spawn cannot be enslaved again.

Meaning Malack can't enslave Belkar as well as Durkon. If he were foolish enough to try we could see a free willed Belkar vampire. But if Durkon drains him, they could both be enslaved in hierarchy.

Alternately, Malack could free Durkon and enslave Belkar. Maybe he'd prefer Durkon to be his equal rather than his subordinate.