PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Countering Critical Fumbles with [Luck]?

Krazzman
2013-03-04, 12:56 PM
Hello again playground,

I have thought about what feats to take with an Cleric-based Eldritch Disciple and so far think between [Travel Devotion] + unsure feat + [Improved Armored Casting] (to get Warlock casting in Medium Armor) and well... maybe going for LUCK feats from Complete Scoundrel to subvert a bit of the Critical Fumbles that will be apparent in game. So far nothing happened but the DM has some list full of them and since I don't know how severe they will be I want to have a few other options to play against them than a single reroll the luck domain grants me. I think [Unbelievable Luck] (getting 2 more Luck rerolls and +2 to my worst save as long as I have at least one reroll left) would be a good feat and on sixth level [Better Lucky Than Good] (make a 1 to a 20 in trade for a "Luck-reroll").

Now the question is: should I try to go for Light Armor instead of Medium and get [Unbelievable Luck] on third and [BLTG] after taking a Luck feat with my unsure feat? Or do you know some better options I could take?
The reason behind Fumbles and seemingly better crits is that the Weave of Magic in Faerun got damaged by a Big Ass Meteroid. As a Cleric of Tymora I don't have that much clues about what the Church of Mystra and Mystra herself are doing right now. Magic get's a bit more instable which could similar go the route of the Time of Sorrow.

Charstats:
Sembian(took it for the 300 GP since I didn't find anything better that fast) Human CG Cleric of Mystra, Travel and Luck Domain, 16 Str, 14 Dex, 16 Con, 14 Int, 16 Wis, 15 Cha (or similar)

Allowed Sources: Completes (all), Core + PHB 2, ToB, Dungeonscape, Faerun Stuff, Races of Stone, Wild, Destiny.

I hope you can help me with this, if you need more information I will try to answer as fast as I can.

HalfQuart
2013-03-06, 09:26 AM
I haven't actually played with critical fumbles since the AD&D days... I don't think the point, generally, is that they should be so bad or so frequent that you need to spend a lot of resources mitigating against them... But rather that they add a bit of spice and humor occasionally.

It seems to me that higher level characters should fumble less often than lower level characters, but the reverse is generally true since higher level characters get more attacks. The variant rule in the DMG for critical fumbles has a DC10 Dexterity check to "catch" yourself after rolling a 1, but flat Dexterity checks don't scale very well. Maybe make that a DC10 Reflex check at the very least.

I'd suggest talking about it with your DM ahead of time. Say something like, "I'm willing to try your critical fumble rules, but I'm afraid it might end up getting in the way of our fun, rather than adding excitement. So can we try it out for a few sessions to see how it's working, and then maybe tweak things if needed?"

Story
2013-03-06, 09:43 AM
You can get a second reroll from Planar Touchstone via the Cat Domain. And another one from Fatespinner 4. And unlike the CS luck feats, nothing says these don't stack.

There's also the 2nd level spell Insight of Great Fortune. If you can persist it, you've effectively got another daily luck reroll, one that can be refreshed if necessary.