PDA

View Full Version : Malack's Staff

Olinser
2013-03-04, 02:32 PM
I just reread OOTS 877 http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0877.html

I notice, in the second panel, it very clearly shows Malack's staff leaning up against the wall in the corner, and his staff hadn't appeared since his fight with Durkon began. Is this a foreshadowing of something about to happen?

On a secondary note, unless it is a totally nonmagical stick, why would Malack just discard it?

Rougn
2013-03-04, 02:38 PM
It looks like the only reason he cast it aside was because he needed both hands to pick up Belkar for the bite.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0870.html

Olinser
2013-03-04, 02:44 PM
It looks like the only reason he cast it aside was because he needed both hands to pick up Belkar for the bite.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0870.html

Right, I guess I didn't phrase that very well - I'm more wondering why, after Durkon showed up and they stood there talking, Malack didn't take the opportunity to step back and grab his staff - unless it's just a walking stick.

Segrain
2013-03-04, 02:51 PM
It's not a nonmagical stick - Malack used it to animate mummies (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0858.html). It, however, may be out of charges now or simply have no useful abilities for direct combat.

Rougn
2013-03-04, 03:12 PM
Right, I guess I didn't phrase that very well - I'm more wondering why, after Durkon showed up and they stood there talking, Malack didn't take the opportunity to step back and grab his staff - unless it's just a walking stick.

Well as Segrain pointed out its not a ordinary stick but from my guess is that he planned on turning Durkon since he refused to back away. And clearly from his feats and advice he took from Tarquin he is a grappler. Plus he was doing touch attacks not swinging.

Ron Miel
2013-03-04, 03:58 PM
My guess -

Belkar will manage to resist the domination, then use the staff as a vampire-slaying stake

Somebody on another forum referred to it as "Chekhov's 's staff." I like that phrase.

Rorrik
2013-03-04, 04:02 PM
It's not a nonmagical stick - Malack used it to animate mummies (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0858.html). It, however, may be out of charges now or simply have no useful abilities for direct combat.

Good catch! It is probably only good for raising dead. But on another note, does Sabine have 2 tails in the 7th panel?

I honestly think the presence of the staff is just attention to detail. There are other places where it might be missing, but I don't see any foreshadowing in the staff's position.

Cavenskull
2013-03-04, 04:10 PM
My guess -

Belkar will manage to resist the domination, then use the staff as a vampire-slaying stake

Somebody on another forum referred to it as "Chekhov's 's staff." I like that phrase.

The problem with that theory is that it won't work unless you have some means of driving it into the chest. Now, if only Belkar could find a hammer somewhere... :smallwink:

Geezlewark
2013-03-04, 04:27 PM
I saw that too, a couple comics ago, but I thought that Malack was going to use it to turn around the battle (when it looked like Durkon was about to defeat him).

Perhaps there is still some foreshadowing value to it... Who knows?

The way things are going though, I expect The Giant to play out most of the tragedy straight. There have been plenty of instances where "Evil Wins" has been a legitimate way to end an arc (like the Azure City Resistance, V's Fall, or even Roy's death).

luc258
2013-03-04, 04:31 PM
Malack is having Belkar in view.
Belkar only gets to roll against his domination if Malack orders him to do something that is against his nature, just standing there should not qualify for this.
Malack should know that the "hold person" expires soon.

I don't see how Belkar could get off a surprise impaling under these circumstances.

Dr. Gamera
2013-03-04, 04:39 PM

Thank you, thank you.

Mike Havran
2013-03-04, 04:51 PM
Sometimes, a staff leaning against a wall is just staff leaning against a wall.

Cavenskull
2013-03-04, 05:23 PM
And sometimes a robe that conceals legs is just a robe that conceals legs...

That's not to say that it's particularly likely the staff will be of importance, but the simplest explanation hasn't always been the correct one.

Rui
2013-03-04, 05:24 PM
We saw he can cast spells without the staff. It's nothing, I think... he doesn't need it all the time with him.

Agnostik
2013-03-04, 05:26 PM
Durkon will be Malack's staff soon!

Terrible pun-joke. Couldn't resist. Sorry.

/scuttles back into darkness

gorocz
2013-03-04, 05:37 PM
I was thinking... If, say, V was to emerge, take the staff and reanimate Durkon as a mummy, would that prevent him from becoming a vampire later?

Rui
2013-03-04, 05:38 PM
Can V use the divine power of the staff?

TheWolfe
2013-03-04, 05:43 PM
While it would be cool to have Malack impaled by his own staff, I'd think Malack would have made sure his staff isn't sharp enough/has some sort of spell on it. It's a wooden stick that's always in the vicinity of himself, a vampire. I think Malack would have considered that enemies could disarm him or something, then use the staff to destroy him, so I'd think he'd have some precautions against that.

LasVegasLawyer
2013-03-04, 05:45 PM

Are we still talking about how Belkar will handle Malak's staff? 'cause that should probably be taken to the fanfic sites...

gorocz
2013-03-04, 05:49 PM
Can V use the divine power of the staff?

Animate Dead is both on Cleric and Wizard spell list, so I'd say V should be able to use it. (Spell trigger items just need you to have the spell on spell list, the question is if it needs you to have it on your actual spell list (i.e. if V has scribed it to her spellbook) or if it is enough to have it on class spell list).

Rui
2013-03-04, 05:52 PM
I think V blocked the necromancy and the transmutation schools.

Toy Killer
2013-03-04, 06:08 PM

No, Conjuration and Transmutation. it's pretty well nit-picked that he banned two of the most useful schools of magic.

Honestly, if Malak or Durkon get staked, I imagine it's going to be with the stick that The Order of the Stick is named after, carried by Elan.

gorocz
2013-03-04, 06:10 PM

Oh, necromancy and conjuration (can't teleport in 3.5, could while Teleport was in Transmutation school), but good point. School specialization specifies that you can't use scrolls or wands of those spells, and wands use spell trigger mechanics as staffs, so this wouldn't be possible...

So, only Haley with her UMD would be able to use it, from the order (apart from Durkon himself, ironically).

No, Conjuration and Transmutation. it's pretty well nit-picked that he banned two of the most useful schools of magic.

V uses Transmutation quite often. Her staple Disintegrate or all those Bugsby's Somethingdoing Hands are transmutation (some paraphrase of Magic Hand probably). S/He's using a Transmutation spell at this very point in story actually (Passwall) :smallwink:

KillianHawkeye
2013-03-04, 07:37 PM
Staking doesn't kill vampires in D&D, it merely renders them immobile until the stake is removed.

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-04, 07:59 PM
Oh, necromancy and conjuration (can't teleport in 3.5, could while Teleport was in Transmutation school), but good point. School specialization specifies that you can't use scrolls or wands of those spells, and wands use spell trigger mechanics as staffs, so this wouldn't be possible...

So, only Haley with her UMD would be able to use it, from the order (apart from Durkon himself, ironically).

V uses Transmutation quite often. Her staple Disintegrate or all those Bugsby's Somethingdoing Hands are transmutation (some paraphrase of Magic Hand probably). S/He's using a Transmutation spell at this very point in story actually (Passwall) :smallwink:

More (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11686399&postcount=36) proof that it is necromancy and conjuration.

Clericzilla
2013-03-04, 08:10 PM
Malack's staff brings all the adventurers to the yard and they're like it's better than yours, damn right it's better than yours, I would teach you but I have to charge...

Yeah this is the first thing that came to mind.. Never cared for the song really but now it makes me shiver haha

Rorrik
2013-03-04, 09:46 PM
Actually, I think it will have a spell that lets him turn Durkon into a vampire instantly instead of waiting 3 days. :smallwink:

OP totally called it. The staff really was on ominous display to be used for a future purpose.

The_Tentacle
2013-03-04, 09:47 PM
I wonder what other obscure spells he has on there? Something bad for the Order, I'd guess.

Segrain
2013-03-04, 10:15 PM
I wonder what other obscure spells he has on there? Something bad for the Order, I'd guess.

Protection from Daylight, for example? If both vampires would leave the pyramid today, they'll need it, and Malack probably doesn't have one more memorised since he only casts his own every morning.

Alchemist_Fire
2013-03-04, 10:35 PM
Well, it appears this thread has been sorted out.

BUT HOW MANY MORE SPELLS DOES IT HAVE?

At least Malack had the foresight (Wisdom) to have extra charges for the D.

ti'esar
2013-03-04, 10:38 PM
Like I said in the main thread, I think the staff is basically a plot device to let Malack avoid some of the more drama-hampering rules for creating undead. So while we might see it again if Belkar also gets vamped (for instance), I doubt he'll be using it in battle.

Alias
2013-03-04, 10:43 PM
V uses Transmutation quite often. Her staple Disintegrate

Disintegrate was Evocation in 2e and in 3e. I think the switch occured in 3.5. I still house rule it an Evocation - there are too many spells in Transmutation anyway and any excuse to put a spell in another school is good enough.

or all those Bugsby's Somethingdoing Hands are transmutation (some paraphrase of Magic Hand probably).

No, those are evocations. Further, Bigby was an Evoker the last time he was officially stated out in 2e Greyhawk.

S/He's using a Transmutation spell at this very point in story actually (Passwall) :smallwink:

Indeed.

Anyway, V's barred schools are Necromancy and Conjuration.

Olinser
2013-03-04, 10:49 PM
Actually, I think it will have a spell that lets him turn Durkon into a vampire instantly instead of waiting 3 days. :smallwink:

OP totally called it. The staff really was on ominous display to be used for a future purpose.

Sweet, I knew it couldn't be featured prominently without a reason :belkar: