PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthropes

Immabozo
2013-03-04, 02:47 PM
Whats the best lycanthrope with bonuses weighed against LA + RHD?

Is Natural Lycanthrope worth the extra 1 LA?

Whats the funniest lycanthrope you can think of? I liked the were-penguins that someone on here came up with. I also liked the extra-planar, demonic, werecow that someone else came up with (although, I think cows are herbivores). I kinda liked my were-mosquito (they are, technically, carnivores)

Yogibear41
2013-03-04, 07:26 PM
it probably depends on what class you want to play as, anything that is a spell caster would want the fewest racial hit die possible in order to maximize their spells. While if your a fighter or something I see no reason not to go full on were-bear or something for +16 str sure you lose some BAB but the huge amount of str should make up for that easily.

I myself prefer natural so you don't have to make control shape checks, but I also have LA buy off in my game so eventually the LA will be gone anyway.

Also Kudos to you because I love lycanthropes :D

Amnestic
2013-03-04, 07:43 PM
I think there's a bird swarm creature that you can have lycanthropes of - think it's in Tome of Magic? I recall that being mentioned before. Seems like one of the funniest options available.

RedDragons
2013-03-04, 07:58 PM
enjoy

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870770/The_Handbook_of_Lycanthropes

Immabozo
2013-03-04, 09:53 PM
I cant decide if the crazy high powered DM I sometimes play with would be pissed about adding the paragon template, or proud and let it slide...

I agree on the natural, plus, DR 10 is a lot better than 5. Plus, the ability to give any of the other players the template at the opportune is kinda cool.

I love them too! I can't quite figure out how I have not played one yet

Zanthy1
2013-03-05, 12:24 AM
the ability to give any of the other players the template at the opportune is kinda cool.

I may be crazy, but I have a problem with being something like that. If I take a large LA penalty, but then I can just give out templates to my PC team? Like that puts the rest of the party a couple levels ahead of you.

However please correct me if I am wrong, like if there is something that would make it so you dont just give your party free +2-4 LA templates. I want to think that I misread something, or that I just do not understand a concept. Please inform me!

HunterOfJello
2013-03-05, 01:03 AM
Quasi-lycanthrope is good. All full lycanthrope types are horrifically bad.

It's one of the biggest wastes of LA and RHD that are possible.

Yogibear41
2013-03-05, 01:26 AM
What is quasi lycanthrope

RedDragons
2013-03-05, 01:32 AM
Honestly

I think Hygeknogin from oriental adventures are one of the best ways to roleplay were creatures.

LTwerewolf
2013-03-05, 01:37 AM
Phynxkin is a pretty good one to lycanthrope up if you plan to do so. Nice str, dex, and con, along with a pretty easy source of pounce. All that with only 1 RHD.

Immabozo
2013-03-05, 01:54 AM
I may be crazy, but I have a problem with being something like that. If I take a large LA penalty, but then I can just give out templates to my PC team? Like that puts the rest of the party a couple levels ahead of you.

However please correct me if I am wrong, like if there is something that would make it so you dont just give your party free +2-4 LA templates. I want to think that I misread something, or that I just do not understand a concept. Please inform me!

I do not mean for free. If a natural lycanthrope bites someone, they must save or become a lycanthrope. But then they can take the LA and RHD when it is good in their build, not right off the bat.

Phynxkin is a pretty good one to lycanthrope up if you plan to do so. Nice str, dex, and con, along with a pretty easy source of pounce. All that with only 1 RHD.

what book is this in? I'd like to read about them

chronomatophobe
2013-03-05, 01:57 AM
Always a fan of were-dire-toad or anything that grants Swallow Whole

TypoNinja
2013-03-05, 02:22 AM
Always loved the WereTiger.

Sure lots of HD, but screw it your a beatstick anyway, and you get pounce for a big fat 5 attacks, large size, and a DR that just about nothing will ever have the ability to bypass, improved grab.

Currently have a weretiger monk 1 (for saves and improved grapple) into warshaper, to tatooed monk. Sure I lack the ability to break the universe like a pure caster but in terms of hitting stuff and making lots of HP vanish, it works great.

LTwerewolf
2013-03-05, 02:29 AM
Phynxkin are in dragon magic.

Immabozo
2013-03-05, 02:55 AM
im not sure I'm so inpressed by pheonixkin for lycanthropes. Although it would be a perfect candidate to break with template that shouldn't work! Paragon and pseudonatural for only the 2 LA and 1 RHD, that works!

Zanthy1
2013-03-05, 09:24 AM
I do not mean for free. If a natural lycanthrope bites someone, they must save or become a lycanthrope. But then they can take the LA and RHD when it is good in their build, not right off the bat.

Oh alright thats what I didn't know, thanks. Makes a lot more sense lol

Dimers
2013-03-05, 10:26 AM
I like a were-[dire badger advanced to 4HD]. You take 4 RHD and gain Large size, +12 Str, +4 Dex, +12 Con, the usual +2 Wis, +5 natural armor, Track feat, and a burrow speed while in full-animal shape. Oh, and a claw/claw/bite or weapon/claw/bite attack progression without needing high BAB.

I would much prefer a 4-HD creature with stats like that over any 7th-level melee option in 3.X D&D. Better than warblade or psychic warrior hands-down, unless your party's level is in the upper teens.

Immabozo
2013-03-05, 10:43 AM
I like a were-[dire badger advanced to 4HD]. You take 4 RHD and gain Large size, +12 Str, +4 Dex, +12 Con, the usual +2 Wis, +5 natural armor, Track feat, and a burrow speed while in full-animal shape. Oh, and a claw/claw/bite or weapon/claw/bite attack progression without needing high BAB.

I would much prefer a 4-HD creature with stats like that over any 7th-level melee option in 3.X D&D. Better than warblade or psychic warrior hands-down, unless your party's level is in the upper teens.

why would you advance it another HD? Although the dire were badger looks like a REALLY good option

Dimers
2013-03-05, 11:12 AM
Oh, AND DR 10/silver, AND low-light vision, AND scent which means you can correctly target invisible enemies right next to you. :smallsmile:

why would you advance it another HD? Although the dire were badger looks like a REALLY good option

A 4HD dire badger is vastly more dangerous than a 3HD dire badger, and the same is true for the lycanthrope based off it. Advancing from 3HD to 4HD makes the "base animal" move up a size class, which adds 10' reach (very important for tanking), +8 Str, +4 Con, +2 natural armor. All of that makes a fine tradeoff for -1 to hit, -1 AC and -2 Dex.

Look at it this way: if you could take a one-level dip in a class that grants +8 Str, +4 Con, +2 AC and reach, would you take it? I know I would. :smallbiggrin:

Amnestic
2013-03-05, 11:36 AM
Honestly

I think Hygeknogin from oriental adventures are one of the best ways to roleplay were creatures.

"Hengeyokai" :smallsmile:

Immabozo
2013-03-05, 11:57 AM
A 4HD dire badger is vastly more dangerous than a 3HD dire badger, and the same is true for the lycanthrope based off it. Advancing from 3HD to 4HD makes the "base animal" move up a size class, which adds 10' reach (very important for tanking), +8 Str, +4 Con, +2 natural armor. All of that makes a fine tradeoff for -1 to hit, -1 AC and -2 Dex.

Look at it this way: if you could take a one-level dip in a class that grants +8 Str, +4 Con, +2 AC and reach, would you take it? I know I would. :smallbiggrin:

OH, wow, that is very true. I took a 1 level dip in bear warrior to make my whirling barbarian's rage to go up by +4 str, +2 Dex, +4 con, +2 nat armor, so yeah, when you put it that way, without a doubt!

lunar2
2013-03-05, 02:57 PM
and don't forget, dire badger has essentially at will rage (get a custom item that deals, and then heals, 1 point of damage to the wielder as a swift action to trigger your rage whenever you want).

Vaz
2013-03-05, 03:12 PM
Lupin from Dragon Compendium.

No stat bonuses, but Scent for Free and no Multiclass Penalties for Ranger for a dip to track by Scent. Awesome NPC's in an anti werewolf campaign.

Immabozo
2013-03-05, 04:19 PM
and don't forget, dire badger has essentially at will rage (get a custom item that deals, and then heals, 1 point of damage to the wielder as a swift action to trigger your rage whenever you want).

ooohh, that is very true! Pretty useful! I think Diehard, too

LTwerewolf
2013-03-05, 05:03 PM
The reason some people go for phynxkin is because it's a source of pounce along with +4 str, +2 dex, and +4 con for as few RHD as possible.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-03-05, 05:23 PM
The best Lycanthrope in my opinion is a Shifter having taken the un-errata'd weretouch master prestige class

Fates
2013-03-05, 05:29 PM
Were-dinosaurs are probably my favourite. I once played a were-T-Rex Barbarian in an epic level campaign. He totally sucked, but it was still amazing.

Immabozo
2013-03-05, 05:49 PM
Were-dinosaurs are probably my favourite. I once played a were-T-Rex Barbarian in an epic level campaign. He totally sucked, but it was still amazing.

I looked at the Dinosaurs. I agree, they seem to suck hardcore, but the FLAVOR!!! I am almost tempted to make a were-megaraptor because the sheer awesomeness of it!

Immabozo
2013-03-05, 05:54 PM
The reason some people go for phynxkin is because it's a source of pounce along with +4 str, +2 dex, and +4 con for as few RHD as possible.

Why would you do a 2 LA and 1 RHD, when i one level dip in Barbarian, using the Spirit lion totem, grants pounce?

Vaz
2013-03-05, 07:37 PM
Because Dragon-Lion-Animal Hybrid Form is awesome. You also gain the Natural Attacks, and a few other things if I'm thinking the same thing. You keep the 40ft Move Speed; so although you might be able to Pounce Harder, you can pounce from further away. The Wisdom and Charisma Penalties do hurt though for anything relying on them.

Are those things worth Barbarian 1/Anything 2? No. Are they more cool and original than Barbarian 1/Anything 2? Yes. If you want to be a Pouncing Grappler, then at ECL4 that's your way in. You have Improved Initiative as your first feat as well.

Especially with LA Buy Off (and why a DM shouldn't I don't know; LA is stupidly overdone).

Immabozo
2013-03-05, 07:49 PM
Because Dragon-Lion-Animal Hybrid Form is awesome

A regrettable oversight on my part. You are absolutely correct

LTwerewolf
2013-03-05, 08:59 PM
Why would you do a 2 LA and 1 RHD, when i one level dip in Barbarian, using the Spirit lion totem, grants pounce?

LA can be bought off, so it's 1RHD for damage reduction vs silver, pounce, str, con, and dex (basically rage, but with a dex boost and no armor penalty), natural armor, scent, LLV (if you didn't already have it) and +2 wis.

The Wisdom and Charisma Penalties do hurt though for anything relying on them.

Mental scores are not affected by lycanthropy other than gaining +2 wisdom.

Abilities: All lycanthropes gain +2 to Wisdom. In addition, when in animal form, a lycanthrope’s physical ability scores improve according to its kind, as set out in the table below. These adjustments are equal to the animal’s normal ability scores –10 or –11. A lycanthrope in hybrid form modifies its physical ability scores by the same amount.

Emphasis mine.

Immabozo
2013-03-05, 09:01 PM
LA can be bought off, so it's 1RHD for damage reduction vs silver, pounce, str, con, and dex (basically rage, but with a dex boost and no armor penalty), natural armor, scent, LLV (if you didn't already have it) and +2 wis.

In the long run, I guess you are right

Dimers
2013-03-05, 09:26 PM

Note that you only have auto-rage while in full animal form, not hybrid. Ideally you'd want to gain the rage and then change forms (since the animal form can't use weapons and doesn't get 10' reach), but many DMs would disallow something so un-KILLING THE ENEMY RIGHT NOW GRAARRR for someone angry enough to get bonuses for it.

Um. I think I've spent too long thinking about were-4HD-dire-badgers, if I'm bothering with that kind of detail. :smallredface:

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-05, 09:56 PM
I have no idea if I have been ninjaed...

but here are the two main Lycanthrope handbooks:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254888

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4398

123456789blaaa
2013-03-05, 10:01 PM
I have no idea if I have been ninjaed...

but here are the two main Lycanthrope handbooks:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254888

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4398

The second one you linked is the outdated version. Here's the updated one: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=607

Vaz
2013-03-05, 10:04 PM
If you want a Lycanthrope, look for the Savage Progressions.

Werewolf Lord = 6 Levels, 6 HD, +14 Strength, Large Size
Brown Bear = 6 Levels, 6HD, +16 Strength, Large Size

Want to be a chain tripper?

Orc Were-Brown Bear 6/War Hulk 10/Psychic Warrior 1/Orc Paragon 3

Gets you Large Size, and +32 Strength. Expansion makes you Huge, with +34 Strength.

If you have a Wu Jen in the party (or have one as a follower), consider dropping PsyWar for Wu Jen so you can auto-use scrolls of Giant Size (and Body Outside Body) to have fun with your +64 Strength Boost (and multiples thereof).

inuyasha
2013-03-05, 10:10 PM
Also has anyone seen monstrous lycanthrope in ronins advanced bestiary?

can be added to any humanoid creature (2 legs 2 arms 1 head) or humanoid or giant
alternate form can be ANYTHING! yes even treants stone golems and wights

lunar2
2013-03-06, 12:30 PM
Note that you only have auto-rage while in full animal form, not hybrid. Ideally you'd want to gain the rage and then change forms (since the animal form can't use weapons and doesn't get 10' reach), but many DMs would disallow something so un-KILLING THE ENEMY RIGHT NOW GRAARRR for someone angry enough to get bonuses for it.

Um. I think I've spent too long thinking about were-4HD-dire-badgers, if I'm bothering with that kind of detail. :smallredface:

mouthpick weapon. reach is DM fiat, since they are normally medium creatures. they don't have a tall/long designation, so they get whatever reach the dm lets them have. and since you can't even play one without dm fiat, we can assume a helpful dm here.

Savith9
2013-03-06, 01:14 PM
I can’t recall where I saw it but there is a race for lycanthrope that has undergone a permanent transformation and still retains some of its sentience the only problem would be walking into a town and probably scaring the crap out of everyone. If I’m not mistaken it removes 1 or 2 LA for the inability to take human form again.

Immabozo
2013-03-06, 09:38 PM
I can’t recall where I saw it but there is a race for lycanthrope that has undergone a permanent transformation and still retains some of its sentience the only problem would be walking into a town and probably scaring the crap out of everyone. If I’m not mistaken it removes 1 or 2 LA for the inability to take human form again.

I'd love to know more about this race and where I can find it. I know there is the Weremaster class, which is kinda cool.

LTwerewolf
2013-03-06, 11:06 PM
Shifter can go into weretouched master if that's what you guys were thinking of. No LA, but it's a 5 level class. At 5th you basically get the good parts of lycanthropy with no downsides.

Immabozo
2013-03-07, 12:04 AM
Shifter can go into weretouched master if that's what you guys were thinking of. No LA, but it's a 5 level class. At 5th you basically get the good parts of lycanthropy with no downsides.

Thats what I meant, thank you