PDA

View Full Version : My Crazy Theory (That I Stand By)

XxXU2XxX
2013-03-04, 04:39 PM
Let me first start off by saying I'm not much for theories. Grasping at straws (which are admittedly fun to read sometimes) is not something I like to engage in, I'm definitely more of a "go along for the ride" kinda guy. However, as the title clearly identifies, there is one theory I have been an avid (self)believer in since #196 The Diary, where the Order of the Scribble is first introduced, specifically our topical illusionist Girard Draketooth. And that theory is this: Elan's last name is Draketooth and is in fact related to the aforementioned hero.

I admit with recent revelations, this is incredibly unlikely if not downright impossible, but I stand by my claim and plan to provide evidence as to why I feel this way.

1) No Last Name. All of our colorful protagonists have had defined last names since the comic began: Greenhilt, Starshine, etc. except for Vaarsuvius and Elan. Vaarsuvius I think we can excuse being an elf and all, but Elan's case is strange. While I admit this is some pretty weak evidence and doesn't necessarily mean anything, typically in stories where a major character's name isn't identified means something of a revelation later. Or unless he's saving it for an emergancy :smallwink:

2) Appearance. Again, artistic similarities don't mean much, but Girard shared some with Elan, Nale, and Tarquin in his youth. The hair antenna is the most obvious, but Girard also sported Nale's goatee. This can be written off as early character design, but Rich kept this design when the Heroes & Villains poster came out not too long ago. Speaking of the hair antenna, a back view of Girard's is visible in #694 which wouldn't be a big deal, but so much attention to Elan and Tarquin's backside has been emphasised this arc, comics #758, #759, #776, #783, #784, and #795 specifically and the hair is nigh indentical. Coincidence? (Probably)

3) Genetics. Children inherit more than just eye color, hair color, body structure, other physical appearances from their parents. DNA is a strange thing, so much so that things like speech patterns, phobias, and even nervous habits can be passed down. Two words come to mind here: Logic dictates. #694 and #762.

4) Name. Allow me to name the Draketooth family as listed in #842: Gina, Orrin, Sami, Kanta, Venna, Tiran, Dylan, and Liana. Now add Tarquin to that list. Does it seem out of place?

Now in that comic, it's quite clearly revealed the entire Draketooth family was killed in a single instance simultaneously, thus debunking this theory pretty much completely. However, Girard was avid opposer to facism and Tarquin is an avid supporter of facism. Could it be that Tarquin expressed these beliefs even in his youth and his father/relative, so digusted by it all, disowned him from the family? Disowned him in such a way magically that prevented spells like Familicide from effecting him? (Probably not)

So there you all have it. An unlikely if not impossible scenario that I have been a firm believer in since the seed first rooted in my brain. Given recent developments, this theory is very much not going to happen, but a kid can still dream.

MeanMrsMustard
2013-03-04, 04:43 PM
The only connection that Elan and family have to the Draketeeth is that Penelope, before she married Tarquin, had a daughter with Orrin.

Armaius
2013-03-04, 04:47 PM
Now in that comic, it's quite clearly revealed the entire Draketooth family was killed in a single instance simultaneously, thus debunking this theory pretty much completely. However, Girard was avid opposer to facism and Tarquin is an avid supporter of facism. Could it be that Tarquin expressed these beliefs even in his youth and his father/relative, so digusted by it all, disowned him from the family? Disowned him in such a way magically that prevented spells like Familicide from effecting him? (Probably not)

Definitely not. If Tarquin had been part of the Draketooths and had been disowned, he still would have been related to them by blood. Familicide is clearly stated in the comic to work by means of blood ties. Thus, he would have been dead, along with Elan and Nale if your theory was correct.

XxXU2XxX
2013-03-05, 11:52 AM
I understand even being disowned would still make you blood-related to someone, but my counterargument was that what if Girard was so So SO trustworthy of his family that he used a spell (epic?) that magically removed anyone from the bloodline that he was disgusted with.

Sure it's completely unlikely if not downright not even a thing, but as I said: it's my crazy theory. I don't believe it's true so much as I WANT it to be true.

Rorrik
2013-03-05, 12:02 PM
I understand even being disowned would still make you blood-related to someone, but my counterargument was that what if Girard was so So SO trustworthy of his family that he used a spell (epic?) that magically removed anyone from the bloodline that he was disgusted with.

Sure it's completely unlikely if not downright not even a thing, but as I said: it's my crazy theory. I don't believe it's true so much as I WANT it to be true.

Most of the evidence is circumstantial, so I wouldn't stand by this theory, but the truth is that I'm skeptical of most theories and generally support the ones I want as well.

I will say, though, that the concept of an epic spell capable of disowning a family member to the point of no longer being biologically related-no blood connection-is no more outlandish than familicide. So while the theory seems highly unlikely, it is not impossible. (However, I would add that it would have to also include some sort of memory loss spell for Tarquin to not remember and want the gate before now. Maybe he remembered fragments and married Penelope in an attempt to get back to the gate.)

Trixie
2013-03-05, 12:07 PM
Why would anyone waste Epic magic to sever connection no one but Haerta considered important? :smallconfused:

I mean, if they wanted to kick someone out, simple memory loss would suffice, are there even any canon spells working on bloodline to give the idea even a hint of plausibility/need?

Rorrik
2013-03-05, 12:15 PM
Why would anyone waste Epic magic to sever connection no one but Haerta considered important? :smallconfused:

I mean, if they wanted to kick someone out, simple memory loss would suffice, are there even any canon spells working on bloodline to give the idea even a hint of plausibility/need?

No, not that we know of, but Girard was a wacky conspiracy theorist himself. He could easily have suspected that if Soon got his hands on anyone from his family he could develop a spell to trace the bloodline back to the gate.

XxXU2XxX
2013-03-05, 02:20 PM
He would think that ESPECIALLY if he disowned a facist family member. Properly paranoid indeed...

ReaderAt2046
2013-03-05, 02:29 PM

It does make a certain degree of sense that Girard would invent a spell to sever bloodline connections (especially since those can be used for scrying, and his primary defences were based around concealment and misdirection. And if he ever threw out a family member, it is almsot certain that he'd erase their memories first.

Rorrik
2013-03-05, 05:28 PM
He would think that ESPECIALLY if he disowned a facist family member. Properly paranoid indeed...

Right, so I can totally see it, but really doubt that it is actually the case. If it WERE the case, then we can thank Girard for saving Elan and his mother's lives.

Morty
2013-03-05, 05:38 PM
Girard was an epic-level illusionist. Whatever school of magic severing bloodlines might fall under, illusion isn't it.

Rakoa
2013-03-05, 05:41 PM
Or maybe TARQUIN IS A VAMPIRE TOO! Malack made him a vampire a long time ago (or maybe he made Malack a vampire?) and so all the blood that he passed on wasn't his own but just that which he drained from mortals? That would explain why they were all spared from V's evil spell.

None of that was serious, by the way. Interesting theory though.

Syreniac
2013-03-05, 05:55 PM
Girard was an epic-level illusionist. Whatever school of magic severing bloodlines might fall under, illusion isn't it.

Concealing a blood tie would fall under Illusion though. Perhaps the concealment would be epic level and therefore work so strongly that spells like Familicide wouldn't be able to 'sense' it and therefore fail.

The_Tentacle
2013-03-05, 08:37 PM
But V was epic to when s/he had the soul splice. It pierced the epic cloister, so why wouldn't it pierce the epic bloodline hiding :smallconfused:.

KillianHawkeye
2013-03-05, 10:39 PM
I suppose this spell also changed his hair color? :smallsigh:

Trixie
2013-03-16, 08:11 PM
I suppose this spell also changed his hair color? :smallsigh:

No, that was clearly his vampire new looks, similar to Malack's white skin :smallcool:

See? It all fits! :E

Ornithologist
2013-03-16, 09:27 PM
So, your convinced that Girard used epic magic to thwart epic magic he had no idea about, being a simpler idea than Elan just not being related? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0546.html)

Gift Jeraff
2013-03-16, 09:45 PM
Too bad Girard being Haley and Elan's time traveling son was debunked. It made perfect sense.

Shred-Bot
2013-03-16, 10:54 PM
Too bad Girard being Haley and Elan's time traveling son was debunked. It made perfect sense.

But time traveling adopted son is still on the table!

And if we're going to go that far... how about this: Dorukan is really a time-traveling Durkon who was reincarnated as a human after his vampire form was destroyed, due to a lack of accessible clerics or diamonds. After seeing Thor's callous treatment of his loyal servants, he renounced divine magic and began training as a wizard instead, and changed his name to represent the changes within himself.

MoleMage
2013-03-16, 10:58 PM
So, your convinced that Girard used epic magic to thwart epic magic he had no idea about, being a simpler idea than Elan just not being related? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0546.html)

There are other reasons to sever blood ties. I don't think this is likely anyway, but here are a couple I came up with.

A: spells can be keyed to be ignored by people of certain characteristics. Those characteristics could theoretically include familial ties.
B: scrying as mentioned above
C: potential epic spells because he's paranoid

JustWantedToSay
2013-03-17, 04:48 AM
Surely it would have been Haerta herself who needed to develop a spell that magically severs blood-ties: to avoid killing herself through familicide. Or someone who witnessed her presumable rein of terror.

That is, I don't think it's unreasonable for the speculative spell to have been developed. On the other-hand Draketooth having access to it is a much bigger stretch. But for the sake of argument, possibly one of his long lived dragon ancestors would have witnessed Haerta, and the spell was passed down through the family.

gerryq
2013-03-21, 04:41 PM
Given that chunks of plot hinge on the surprise reveals of Nale's and Tarquin's relationship to Elan, surely a good reason for no last name being given is that a last name would just get in the way?

Conversely, Haley's family name was used as confirmation of her father's relationship to her in the prison.

Amphiox
2013-04-01, 05:38 PM
One way this could happen and get around the Familicide spell is if one of Girard Draketooth's siblings adopted a young Tarquin (because Girard would be most unlikely to be willing to adopt anyone), or, alternately, a young Elan's mother (in this scenario Elan would have taken his mother's family name after the divorce).

Girard may not have known about the adoption, and indeed, may have been responsible for kicking out the child (and wiping his/her memory) after he found out.

Zmeoaice
2013-04-01, 06:12 PM
That is, I don't think it's unreasonable for the speculative spell to have been developed. On the other-hand Draketooth having access to it is a much bigger stretch. But for the sake of argument, possibly one of his long lived dragon ancestors would have witnessed Haerta, and the spell was passed down through the family.

Well if the ancestor knew familicide existed, it would make sense for them to sever ties as well to avert this disaster. Plus,they could have saved the lives of the countless people they seduced.

JSSheridan
2013-04-02, 08:38 AM
I think that the Order will get to the heart of the ziggurat, and find an illusion of Girard saying, "Sorry suckers, the Gate is in a different zigurat. Hope you didn't lose too many party members on this dungeon. Have fun trying again."

Just because the Order found this one first doesn't mean there weren't more hidden. They just dove into the first thing the found without really searching the area.

Zmeoaice
2013-04-02, 08:48 PM
Going back (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0815.html), it doesn't seem likely. Draketooths also use pseudonyms.