PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Summon Monster by Hit Dice

Mr Tumnus
2013-03-04, 05:24 PM
List of the legal 3.5 summon monsters sorted by hit dice. I just got polymorph and was wondering what kind of crazy shenanigans I could get myself into and wanted a comprehensive list of all the hit dice available so I made one.

I can only do up to about SM IV-SM V right now, I'll get the rest of the list down when I can.

Summon Monster 1

Hit Dice
Creature Name
Source

Celestial Badger
SRD

Celestial Dog
SRD

Celestial Owl
SRD

Celestial Giant Fire Beetle
SRD

Celestial Monkey
SRD

Celestial Porpoise
SRD

Elysian Thrushx
PLH 118

Fiendish Dire Rat
SRD

>1
Fiendish Hawk
SRD

Fiendish Monstrous Centipede, Medium
SRD

Fiendish Monstrous Crab, Small
SW 141

Fiendish Monstrous Diving Spider, Small
SW 169

Fiendish Monstrous Scorpion, Small
SRD

Fiendish Monstrous Spider, Small
SRD

Fiendish Octopus
SRD

>1
Fiendish Raven
SRD

Fiendish Sea Snake, Small
SW 170

Fiendish Snake, Small Viper
SRD

Summon Monster 2

Hit Dice
Creature Name
Source

Celestial Bombardier Beetle
SRD

Celestial Eagle
SRD

Celestial Giant Bee
SRD

Celestial Riding Dog
SRD

Clockwork Mender
MMIV

Devil Lemure
SRD

Fetid Fungus
MMV 56

Fiendish Monstrous Centipede, Large
SRD

Fiendish Monstrous Crab, Medium
SW 141

Fiendish Monstrous Diving Spider, Medium
SW 169

Fiendish Monstrous Scorpion, Medium
SRD

Fiendish Monstrous Spider, Medium
SRD

Fiendish Sea Snake, Medium
SW 170

Fiendish Snake, Medium Viper
SRD

Fiendish Squid
SRD

Fiendish Wolf
SRD

Howler Wasp
MMIV 74

Kaorti
FF 108

Nerra, Varoot
FF 130

Summon Monster 3

Hit Dice
Creature Name
Source

Bacchae
FF 18

Bauriau
BoED 165

Celestial Black Bear
SRD

Celestial Bison
SRD

Celestial Dire Badger
SRD

Celestial Hippogriff
SRD

Demon, Dretch
SRD

Demon, Nashrou
MMIV 44

Eladrin, Coure
BoED 168

Elemental, Small
SRD

Fiendish Ape
SRD

Fiendish Boar
SRD

Fiendish Crocodile
SRD

Fiendish Dire Bat
SRD

Fiendish Dire Weasel
SRD

Fiendish Monstrous Centipede, Huge
SRD

Fiendish Sea Snake, Large
SW 170

Fiendish Snake, Constrictor
SRD

Fiendish Snake, Large Viper
SRD

Guardinal, Musteval
BoED 174

Hell Hound
SRD

Kalabon
FC2 120

Windrazor
FF 130

Summon Monster 4

Hit Dice
Creature Name
Source

Abishai, White
FC2 110

Aoa Droplet
FF 15

Arcadian Avenger
MMV 8

Archon, Lantern
SRD

Celestial Giant Eagle
SRD

Celestial Giant Owl
SRD

Celestial Lion
SRD

Demon, Carnage
MMV 22

Demon, Gadacro
MMV 26

Demon, Skulvyn
FF 55

Elemental Grue
CAr 153

Fiendish Dire Eel
SW 148

Fiendish Dire Wolf
SRD

Fiendish Giant Praying Mantis
SRD

Fiendish Giant Wasp
SRD

Fiendish Monstrous Diving Spider, Large
SW 169

Fiendish Monstrous Spider, Large
SRD

Fiendish Sea Snake, Huge
SW 170

Fiendish Shark, Large
SRD

Fiendish Snake, Huge Viper
SRD

Guardinal, Cervidal
MMII 42

Howler
SRD

Imp, Bloodbag
FF 98

Imp, Euphoric
FF 99

Imp, Filth
FF 100

Mephit
SRD

Mephit, Glass
Sa 75

Mephit, Sulfur
Sa 76

Nerra, Kalareem
FF 128

Nightmare, Lesser
PLH 127

Rhek
BoED 181

Spined Devil
FC2 136

Storm Elemental, Small
MMIII 48

Yeth Hound
SRD

Yugoloth, Skeroloth
FF 197

Yugoloth, Voor
MMIV 193

Wrackspawn
MMIV 182

Summon Monster 5

Hit Dice
Creature Name
Source

Abshai, Black
FC2 109

Achaierai
SRD

Archon, Hound
SRD

Celestial Brown Bear
SRD

Celestial Giant Stag Beetle
SRD

Celestial Griffon
SRD

Celestial Sea Cat
SRD

Devil, Bearded
SRD

Dwarf Ancestor
MMIV

Elemental, Medium
SRD

Energon, Any
PLH 119

Fiendish Deionychus
SRD

Fiendish Dire Ape
SRD

Fiendish Dire Barracuda
SW 147

Fiendish Dire Boar
SRD

Fiendish Dire Wolverine
SRD

Fiendish Giant Crocodile
SRD

Fiendish Monstrous Crab, Large
SW 141

Fiendish Monstrous Scorpion, Large
SRD

Fiendish Shark, Huge
SRD

Fiendish Tiger
SRD

Leskylor
BoED 177

Shadow Mastiff
SRD

HalfQuart
2013-03-05, 09:24 PM
Nice. There is some existing stuff out there already.. not sure if you're already aware. I recommend this page about Valgrim the Summoner (http://geek-related.com/session-summaries/rise-of-the-runelords/valgrim-the-summoner/). I especially like the link he's got to the Summonable Monster Stats Cheat Sheet (http://www.mindspring.com/~ernestm/summoning/Summonable%20Monsters.xls) -- it's an Excel file with lots of useful details split up with each Summon Monster version on a separate worksheet.

Flickerdart
2013-03-05, 09:27 PM
What does being able to cast polymorph have to do with summon monster spells?

Jack_Simth
2013-03-05, 09:35 PM
By any chance are you making use of Imbued Summoning? - Nevermind; that's limited to 3rd level or lower spells. Hmm.

What does being able to cast polymorph have to do with summon monster spells?
He's planning on casting Polymorph on his Summoned minions, to turn them into something more useful, obviously. That Feindish Giant Crocodile from Summon Monster V could be a seven-headed hydra, instead.

Flickerdart
2013-03-05, 09:36 PM
Two spell slots just to get a mediocre minion seems really inefficient to me.

Jack_Simth
2013-03-05, 09:38 PM
Just because something isn't optimal doesn't mean it's not cool. If he's got some way to do the Polymorph as the beast is appearing, he'll have people scratching their heads on how he's getting these beasties.

Mr Tumnus
2013-03-06, 09:05 PM
By any chance are you making use of Imbued Summoning? - Nevermind; that's limited to 3rd level or lower spells. Hmm.

He's planning on casting Polymorph on his Summoned minions, to turn them into something more useful, obviously. That Feindish Giant Crocodile from Summon Monster V could be a seven-headed hydra, instead.

That's exactly what I wanted to do.

Never said it was optimized, just having fun with some cheesy spells.

Deaxsa
2013-03-06, 09:15 PM
Player: I summon a fiendish dire shark!
DM: .... You're on land...
Player: I know!
DM: ...ok.... it's flopping around... 17 rounds til it dies...
*next round*
Player: 16 now! i cast polymorph! It's a 10-headed hydra now!
DM: ..... are you kidding me? *facepalm*

^ how it wold work

Mr Tumnus
2013-03-14, 03:01 PM
Player: I summon a fiendish dire shark!
DM: .... You're on land...
Player: I know!
DM: ...ok.... it's flopping around... 17 rounds til it dies...
*next round*
Player: 16 now! i cast polymorph! It's a 10-headed hydra now!
DM: ..... are you kidding me? *facepalm*

^ how it wold work

I know you're being sarcastic but what's wrong with playing around with magic? Also, you can't actually summon a creature into an environment that cannot support it. Fish onto dry land, rhino underwater, etc.

Fouredged Sword
2013-03-14, 03:11 PM
Actually the shark is able to be supported by the air environment for longer than the duration of it's summon until you hit level 17. That is a strong argument that it CAN be summoned onto land to flop around.

HalfQuart
2013-03-14, 03:18 PM
Actually the shark is able to be supported by the air environment for longer than the duration of it's summon until you hit level 17. That is a strong argument that it CAN be summoned onto land to flop around.
Actually, the note on the table for the aquatic summons is somewhat more specific than the text of the spell. It says:

May be summoned only into an aquatic or watery environment.
You might argue that the description trumps the table, but in this case I think the table is just providing additional detail to support the meaning of the description.

killem2
2013-03-14, 07:26 PM

I would take the crocs in this case, but it wouldbe fun to turn those left over sm1s, into humanoids and get aid another from them all :D

Lonely Tylenol
2013-03-15, 12:43 PM

Or, as I just learned five minutes ago, that Arcadian Avenger from Summon Monster IV could be an 8-headed hydra. :smallcool:

Pretty sure the end game here is to Incantatrix up these spells so that you're shooting out persisted Summon Monster eye beams so that you can have a Dragonite Oppa whatever the Hell you please for the day. But then, I'm privy to knowledge that you all aren't, here. :smalltongue: In any case, this list could also be useful for knowing which summons to use if you want to avoid the ill effects of HD-dependent spells and the like. For instance, I know that I want a Celestial Bison if I want something that can just eat through Color Spray and Sleep. For low-level summons, Hit Dice are also a valuable commodity, since spell-like abilities are precious and few, and so you're going to want the biggest, beefiest thing with the highest attack bonus for those spell slots, and Hit Dice offers all of those things.

nedz
2013-03-15, 12:57 PM
For low-level summons, Hit Dice are also a valuable commodity, since spell-like abilities are precious and few, and so you're going to want the biggest, beefiest thing with the highest attack bonus for those spell slots, and Hit Dice offers all of those things.

Not all HD are created equal, but it is an important consideration.

Quickened Summon Water
Greater Arcane Fusion (Summon Monster X, Polymorph) — summon shark
Augment and Imbue
Profit

Unusual Muse
2013-03-15, 01:06 PM

The main benefit I see here is that if the wizard turns into a hydra it still has wizard hit points, whereas if the wizard summons a beefy high-HP critter and turns it into a hydra, it's going to last longer.

Flickerdart
2013-03-15, 02:10 PM
The main benefit I see here is that if the wizard turns into a hydra it still has wizard hit points, whereas if the wizard summons a beefy high-HP critter and turns it into a hydra, it's going to last longer.
Yeah, but two rounds in (one to summon and one to buff) it's very rarely going to matter, since most encounters are almost over by then.

If you use an Imbued Summon Monster combined with Rapid Summoning and Sanctum Polymorph then it doesn't suck anymore, but anything that needs to cheese out Sanctum to work isn't really kosher in most games.

Lonely Tylenol
2013-03-15, 03:24 PM
Yeah, but two rounds in (one to summon and one to buff) it's very rarely going to matter, since most encounters are almost over by then.

If you use an Imbued Summon Monster combined with Rapid Summoning and Sanctum Polymorph then it doesn't suck anymore, but anything that needs to cheese out Sanctum to work isn't really kosher in most games.

Ocular Summon Monsters can be Persisted.

Fouredged Sword
2013-03-15, 03:25 PM
I shoot sharks out of my EYEESSSSS!!!!!!

Flickerdart
2013-03-15, 04:29 PM
Ocular Summon Monsters can be Persisted.
Summon Monster can't be made Ocular because "only ray spells and spells with a target other than personal can be cast as ocular spells" and Summon Monster is not a targeted spell.

Mr Tumnus
2013-03-15, 09:44 PM
Summon Monster can't be made Ocular because "only ray spells and spells with a target other than personal can be cast as ocular spells" and Summon Monster is not a targeted spell.

Summon Monster Isn't Personal

Flickerdart
2013-03-15, 09:46 PM
Summon Monster Isn't Personal
No part of my post suggested that it was. Summon Monster is not a spell with a target, therefore it does not qualify for the statement "spell with a target other than personal".

Lonely Tylenol
2013-03-15, 10:53 PM

I must have missed this. Why it is three sentences separate from the other qualifying language at the beginning of the feat, however, is beyond me.

Flickerdart
2013-03-16, 12:16 AM
I must have missed this. Why it is three sentences separate from the other qualifying language at the beginning of the feat, however, is beyond me.
Because WotC's policy towards editing is "lol, what's that?".

Jack_Simth
2013-03-16, 12:41 AM
More like "Must get it to press! We'll issue errata for the bad stuff if enough people complain."

Of course, then there's the infamous daWizard (http://everything2.com/title/DaWizard).

Lonely Tylenol
2013-03-16, 02:42 AM

You're right, of course. I don't know how this manages to still surprise me.

More like "Must get it to press! We'll issue errata for the bad stuff if enough people complain."

Of course, then there's the infamous daWizard (http://everything2.com/title/DaWizard).

Hey, don't laugh. "DaWizard" is something you hear a lot of among the local groups here in Hawai'i. :smallbiggrin:

Of course, now I'll wonder if they're talking about damage or Wizards... :smallconfused: