PDA

View Full Version : Does a Spell End if the Caster Dies?

Blueiji
2013-03-04, 06:44 PM
Pretty much what the title says. Specifically, I'm wondering what happens if a spell that has not yet completed its duration has its caster die. Will the spell instantly dissipate? Will it carry on as normal?

Thanks for the help.

RelentlessImp
2013-03-04, 06:48 PM
If it's cast on the caster, it ends, unless it also affects objects.

If it's cast on an area or is an Effect: spell, it continues until duration expires.

Chilingsworth
2013-03-04, 06:49 PM
Don't know the RAW on this, but the way my group has always played it:

Spells last for their duration, unless the target (if applicable) dies. This provision doesn't apply to spells that can affect objects, since the rationale is that most buff spells specfically target creatures, and a corpse is no longer a creature.

So, to answer your question, to my knowledge, no the spell continues after the caster's death just fine. In fact, even better in one way: a dead caster can't dismiss their spells.

Deophaun
2013-03-04, 06:57 PM
Regarding spells ending when their targets die: As I recall, the target is only checked when the spell is cast. What happens to the target after is of no concern to the spell. So, the spell continues past target death. I could be wrong, and if someone could cite RAW on the matter, it would be most appreciated, because I do so want to be wrong here.

MesiDoomstalker
2013-03-04, 07:05 PM
Regarding spells ending when their targets die: As I recall, the target is only checked when the spell is cast. What happens to the target after is of no concern to the spell. So, the spell continues past target death. I could be wrong, and if someone could cite RAW on the matter, it would be most appreciated, because I do so want to be wrong here.

In most cases, it doesn't really matter. Most spells won't do anything to a corpse or its former allies. Only a few spells can do stuff to the still living allies of the now-corpse if they persist after the target has fallen.

Blueiji
2013-03-04, 07:10 PM
Thank you all for the help, but I guess I should have specified the kinds of spells I was referring to.

Specifically, would a summoned creature remain for it's duration after the death of it's summoner?

Chilingsworth
2013-03-04, 07:32 PM
Thank you all for the help, but I guess I should have specified the kinds of spells I was referring to.

Specifically, would a summoned creature remain for it's duration after the death of it's summoner?

Oh, in that case (assuming my understanding is correct) Yes, it would stick around. The caster couldn't give it new orders, though so it would be limmited to attacking its summoner's apparent foes.

Blueiji
2013-03-04, 07:39 PM
Oh, in that case (assuming my understanding is correct) Yes, it would stick around. The caster couldn't give it new orders, though so it would be limmited to attacking its summoner's apparent foes.

Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

RedDragons
2013-03-04, 07:53 PM
two theories that you can use to describe your world and decide yourself....

does a spell get energy forever from the caster while it is happening

or does the caster give the energy it needs once and it does its thing until finished.

KillianHawkeye
2013-03-04, 07:55 PM
The only spells than end when the caster dies are those with a duration of "Concentration."