PDA

View Full Version : Making a modifyable undead or construct?

Xarteros
2013-03-04, 07:54 PM
I know I've asked some dumb questions here, but does anyone know of a rule or supplement that has either an undead or construct that can be constantly modified after creation?

I'm looking for something with no limits, or as few as possible, so i can continue adding grafts/HD upgrades after the initial creation

The goal is to make a tower out of the bones and bodies of everything I kill, that can use these abilities as an independent creature. I need to be able to give it more HD with bone and muscle, and add grafted parts on as i go (like Beholder eyes for ray attacks, dragon breath glands etc)

I'd appreciate the help. i want to make this thing by the rules, so if i change campaigns, the new DM would be more likely to allow it

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-04, 08:02 PM
There are some immobile undead, I believe, and you should be able to graft stuff together....

Symbiotic creature is the only way that I can think of to combine two separate creatures, and it's a pretty complicated device. Also, not sure you can invoke this template with the kind of crafting that you are looking to do.

You really need to limit the scope of your project in order to stay within the rules, IMHO. Try animating something very large and hollowing it out is really the closest thing that I can think of (I think there is info out there about animating a siege beetle and then hollowing out the inside). You might be able to do something similar with some kind of giant whale zombie or such.

Very hard to avoid the emergence of custom effects that require DM ruling with the kind of project you are looking to undertake.

mistformsquirrl
2013-03-04, 08:09 PM
If you've got a DM who will allow Pathfinder material, you might be able to get away with using the Summoner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner) class. Eidolons, the summoner's pet, are highly modifiable and can be given the evolution "Undead Appearance".

It's not perfect mind, and you may still want to get some custom rulings from a DM to allow you some necromancy spells or something.

That's the simplest way I can think of to do it anyway.

Sception
2013-03-04, 08:14 PM
it's late game, but... Polymorph Any Object.

It can be argued that any pile of corpses is similar enough to one big corpse to allow for permanent duration PAO, so keep corpse piles in bag of holding or portable hole, when the piles get big enough kill your big pet, pile its corpse on top, PAO into even bigger corpse, animate that.

There's also chimeric creature template somewhere. While there aren't any rules for it (apart from PAO abuse as above), I once ha a DM who let me stitch multiple corpses together into a single templated chimeric creature corpse, then animate that. Potentially could set up something similar with other templates - combine corpses of giant and dragon into half-dragon giant corpse, animate that. It would all be homebrew, though.

Coidzor
2013-03-04, 08:15 PM
Haunt Shift allows you to make animated objects using your undead minions, so there's some fun you can have there with modifying what the resultant animated object would be (want a pope mobile? You can have a pope mobile), but it doesn't really scale once you've set it up.

Improved Homunculus from Magic of Eberron allows you to give additional abilities and HD to your homunculus after you've built them. This is pretty good but there's a limit to the amount of customization. Also, homunculii bite you in the butt if they get killed.

The Viscount
2013-03-04, 09:02 PM
The Cadaver Golem from Heroes of Horror is sort of what you are looking for. It can take on the body parts of humanoids to steal their abilites and skills.

Xarteros
2013-03-04, 09:32 PM
The Cadaver Golem from Heroes of Horror is sort of what you are looking for. It can take on the body parts of humanoids to steal their abilites and skills.

This is actually pretty cool, but it can only swap the parts out, it can't add extra ones on.

Coidzor
2013-03-05, 02:18 AM
This is actually pretty cool, but it can only swap the parts out, it can't add extra ones on.

Well, there's not really anything that can without homebrew or at least 3rd party material.

The Xenoalchemist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205119)homebrew might be of interest to you.

Xarteros
2013-03-06, 01:46 AM
Well, there's not really anything that can without homebrew or at least 3rd party material.

Well that's a shame. I thought there ought to be some rules for adding extra grafts and stuff on. surely there's a rule somewhere for adding additional limbs on?

The alternative is having one big creature for the body and just using a host of other creatures living inside to provide as many abilities as possible, or somehow amalgamating multiple creatures into the main body

NotScaryBats
2013-03-06, 04:21 AM
The Boneyard from Libris Mortis has a fluffy ability to subsume the bones of its victims, but iirc it gains nothing for using this power.

The Viscount
2013-03-06, 05:17 PM
Well, one could conceivably add maug grafts to a construct. For anything else, a sibriex can add grafts, but good luck convincing your DM to let you have one.