PDA

View Full Version : No Magical Vamp Coffin for Durkon?

Secris
2013-03-05, 12:26 AM
So, if Durkon hasn't been buried and allowed to rest in a coffin for three days or however it goes exactly, what will happen if he is forced into his vapor form? Can a vampire just use any old coffin? Does Durkon have a way to bind to or craft a coffin sort of like a lich does with his phylactery?

I imagine Rich is using a home-brew spell (I know very little about D&D, so that's just an assumption), so there may be no cut and dry answer. Regardless, I'd love to hear some educated speculation from those who know the setting and rules better than I.

Surfing HalfOrc
2013-03-05, 12:35 AM
Well, the rules and setting is Rich's in this case, so it is whatever Rich wants it to be.

That said, the entire pyramid could be seen as a tomb, meaning Durkon could just stay anywhere in the pyramid and be considered buried.

Or, a coffin could be procured within the three day window. Not eveyone knows they are about to become a vampire, so you need time to go shopping. :smallwink:

I always figured that a vampire upgrades his coffin as well as his home as he increases in power. New spawn are happy to have a box with a cover, but as you move up in the vampire world, your personal wealth increases to buy that fancy velvet lined box with the gargoyles on the corners you've had your eye on. I think it becomes YOUR coffin once it is filled with the earth you were buried in.

Finagle
2013-03-05, 12:59 AM
Yeah, the rules are out the window. If there's any further conflict with D&D rules Malack will just pull another homebrew rule out of his ass, just like he did with Protection from Daylight.

Giggling Ghast
2013-03-05, 01:00 AM
So, if Durkon hasn't been buried and allowed to rest in a coffin for three days or however it goes exactly, what will happen if he is forced into his vapor form? Can a vampire just use any old coffin? Does Durkon have a way to bind to or craft a coffin sort of like a lich does with his phylactery?

Maybe he just dies.

sockmonkey
2013-03-05, 01:47 AM
I always figured that a vampire upgrades his coffin as well as his home as he increases in power. New spawn are happy to have a box with a cover, but as you move up in the vampire world, your personal wealth increases to buy that fancy velvet lined box with the gargoyles on the corners you've had your eye on. I think it becomes YOUR coffin once it is filled with the earth you were buried in.I now have a vision of a pimped-out coffin with a shag carpet lining, flame paint job, hydraulic suspension, and surroundsound.

Surfing HalfOrc
2013-03-05, 02:19 AM
I now have a vision of a pimped-out coffin with a shag carpet lining, flame paint job, hydraulic suspension, and surroundsound.

It could be yours, IF the Price is Right! :smallbiggrin:

Secris
2013-03-05, 03:05 AM
I bid 2,347 gold pieces, three chickens and a vampire bunny.

As for my own speculation, I like the idea of this tomb being his coffin. Vaperous vamps can't use word of recall (that's what Redcloak used, right?), can they? If so, it seems like a vampire cleric would have no issues getting back to their coffin as long as they prepared it.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-03-05, 03:07 AM
Maybe he just dies.

Perhaps he becomes a charge on the staff.

Secris
2013-03-05, 03:15 AM
Perhaps he becomes a charge on the staff.

Recycling souls to prevent waste, how very green. Really, really dark green.

Monarch Dodora
2013-03-05, 05:34 AM
I bid 2,347 gold pieces, three chickens and a vampire bunny.

As for my own speculation, I like the idea of this tomb being his coffin. Vaperous vamps can't use word of recall (that's what Redcloak used, right?), can they? If so, it seems like a vampire cleric would have no issues getting back to their coffin as long as they prepared it.

Vaporous vamps can't cast spells with verbal, somatic, material, or focus components while in gaseous form. Word of Recall requires verbal components, but a pre-prepared Silenced Word of Recall would be fine. Although I'm not sure how well a silenced magical word would sit with the DM :P

The Succubus
2013-03-05, 05:41 AM
Yeah, the rules are out the window. If there's any further conflict with D&D rules Malack will just pull another homebrew rule out of his ass, just like he did with Protection from Daylight.

I'd rather see good story telling than rules minute. Besides, is there anything illogical about a 200 year old vampire wanting to research a spell that allows him to be useful during the day? 200 years is a long time to research something.

Poppy Appletree
2013-03-05, 05:44 AM
Recycling souls to prevent waste, how very green. Really, really dark green.

Soylent, perhaps?

Clericzilla
2013-03-05, 05:16 PM
I'd rather see good story telling than rules minute. Besides, is there anything illogical about a 200 year old vampire wanting to research a spell that allows him to be useful during the day? 200 years is a long time to research something.

+1

Also we have seen a very specific place of resting... Somewhat like a coffin.... Mr Draketooth was resting in it though so I'm not sure if Durkon can claim it.

KillingAScarab
2013-03-05, 07:53 PM
Hmm... if there were some other rules in play (nothing I think I have ever read, just speculating), perhaps the pyramid could become something of a "haunt" for Durkon. Perhaps he could become supernaturally familiar with its layout. Regardless of what rules are in play, it would be a pretty sweet deal if your vampire lair came with traps pre-installed. You just have to find enough gullibl- er, helpful people to find out what the traps do.

I now have a vision of a pimped-out coffin with a shag carpet lining, flame paint job, hydraulic suspension, and surroundsound.Your description sounds strangely familiar (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRAG-U-LA). Are you secretly Al Lewis?

Secris
2013-03-06, 12:15 AM
Well, it's not totally spelled out, but I'd say "he just dies" has it, based on 879.

lothos
2013-03-06, 01:38 AM
Soylent, perhaps?

WIN !!!!!
:-)