PDA

View Full Version : Power Attack Fuel.

Metahuman1
2013-03-05, 12:33 AM
Pretty much what the title says. I'm building a Melee character and looking for options to fuel power attack.

Would prefer inexpensive gear to actual feats, as I don't have the skill ranks for Knowledge Devotion, the spell slots for Arcane Strike, or the feat slots for either of those or other options like Shock Trooper.

Game is starting at 6th lvl, and I've got about 6K GP to spend on this part of the character, having already bought my basics stat booster, my armor, my weaponry, and a minimal adventuring basics. I'm looking for a starting +6 to hit that I can use to pay for power attack and an additional +4 or so that will scale with level so that I can keep paying for it as the game goes on.

If there's no real gold left over, that's ok. If there is, that's ok too, I can think of things to do with it once I've met this need.

So, does anyone have any neat gear tricks that won't break my budget?

ArcturusV
2013-03-05, 12:40 AM
Well, for the price of a +2 enchantment, which is just inside your budget, you can get a "Fleshgrinding" weapon. The way the ability is written you can Power Attack away for max damage on a hit. Then command it to "Grind" so it continually damages at the same max damage for up to 5 rounds while you grab your other weapon to keep Power Attacking.

Randomguy
2013-03-05, 12:40 AM
What class are you? Duskblade 6 would let you quick cast True Strike for +20 to hit.

If you aren't a caster, then a rod of Sure Striking (4k, MIC) would let you get +5 to hit 3 times a day. It takes a standard action to activate, though.

Metahuman1
2013-03-05, 12:49 AM
I'm running a Warblade 4/ Spirit Lion Wolf Totem Barbarian 2.

I'm Using Goliath as my race, and I've bought off the LA.

What book is Fleshgrinder property in? If it's not setting specific and it says I can wait till I've already got a hit to kick in power attack that could be a winner.

Aliek
2013-03-05, 12:51 AM
Lances deal double damage on a charge, there's an item called the Halberd of Vaulting, which grants +30 jump and 2x damage on a charge, and it is usually taken that you can take its attributes and insert into a lance, for a custom item. Then you just add the Valorous enchantment for an extra x2.

In total, 4x damage on a charge, which is pretty respectable.

ArcturusV
2013-03-05, 12:52 AM
It's Book of Vile Darkness.

It is:

If you hit with an attack, as a free action you can tell your weapon to "Grind" into the target. Every turn for 5 turns it "Grinds" into the target dealing damage. The target can do a DC 20 Strength check as a standard action to remove the weapon, if he does, he's armed with the Fleshgrinder weapon (If they had a free hand). You can retrieve the Fleshgrinder weapon as a standard action at any time. It takes no concentration or actions to keep "Grinding" into the target.

So it can be something like a Charge attack, GRIND. Next turn draw you back up weapon and smack away while it keeps grinding in.

Edit: The key phrase is the "Grind" ability says "Deals damage as if the character who had been wielding it dealt a successful hit". So it does your strength bonus, power attack bonuses, etc. Not just pure Weapon/Magic bonuses.

HunterOfJello
2013-03-05, 12:57 AM
Armbands of Might from the MiC are pretty good. They give a +2 to strength checks & strength based skill checks. It also gives a +2 to damage whenever you do a Power Attack with at least a -2 attack penalty.

Fleshgrinder can also be found in the MiC. However, the version in the MiC specifically notes that Power Attack does not increase the damage the weapon does over time.

ArcturusV
2013-03-05, 01:04 AM
Ah... reprint screw.

Still good though for any particular weapon based warrior. And will instead of doubling your damage at low level (Or +25 at 20), will only be marginally less effective. Funny that the reprint calls out Power Attack and Feats only. But buff spells on the character and such would still work.

Metahuman1
2013-03-05, 01:09 AM
That's nice and all, but I need something that will give me bonus too hit to pay for power attack.

ArcturusV
2013-03-05, 01:14 AM
As for accuracy pumping itself? Nothing really jumps out to me beyond the usual Strength Boosters throughout the ages like Girdle of Giant Strength, Gauntlets of Ogre Might, etc. Then again I'm not the best person for having all the magic abilities on speed dial in my mind.

LTwerewolf
2013-03-05, 01:18 AM
Pay for it with strength, not with straight attack, because strength gives you damage as well. Str enhancements, enlarge person (or expansion, take a dip in psychic warrior), rage, etc.

navar100
2013-03-05, 01:22 AM
Teamwork.

Suppose your BAB is 10 and your total attack bonus 16, 18 ST, +2 Strength item for ST 20, Greatsword +1, you deal 2d6 + 8 damage before power attacking.

Rogue wants to flank with you to get sneak attack damage. Use the +2 to hit for flanking for Power Attack. You are at +16 to hit for 2d6 + 12 damage.

Cleric casts Bless. Power Attack some more for +16 to hit and 2d6 + 14 damage.

Bard Inspires Courage at +2. Power Attack some more for +16 to hit and 2d6 + 18 damage.

Wizard casts Haste. Power Attack some more for +16 to hit and 2d6 + 20 damage.

avr
2013-03-05, 01:34 AM
If you can get any sort of minion, aid another, flanking, throwing tanglefoot bags, dropping marbles on the ground, etc can all aid your attack bonus or penalise their AC. Minions don't necessarily have to be a class feature; you might be able to straight hire someone.

Any means of turning invisible aids you likewise.

Riding a mount usually gives you the +1 to hit for higher ground.

The martial scripts (name?) in ToB might give you access to higher level maneuvers than you currently use. Even if you can't get above 3rd level, you could get more than the 1-2 3rd level attacks you'd presently have.

Aegis013
2013-03-05, 01:52 AM
Buy the party caster an eternal wand of Wraithstrike on the condition that he'll cast it for you in combat if you can UMD it. 4420gp for getting to wail on the opponent's touch AC for 1 round, 2/day. That'll let you power attack for more fairly safely.

Andezzar
2013-03-05, 02:38 AM
I assume, you already have Shock trooper? If so I'd recommend some form of concealment. Hitting at +2 AB (but -(BAB+2) AC) with full Power Attack damage should be enough fuel. Should have read the OP more thoroughly.

Lances only double the damage on a mounted charge.

Wraithstrike is personal range, so you would need to cast or UMD it yourself.

Aegis013
2013-03-05, 03:02 AM
Wraithstrike is personal range, so you would need to cast or UMD it yourself.

So it is. Thanks for the correction.

nedz
2013-03-05, 05:15 AM
If you hit with an attack, as a free action you can tell your weapon to "Grind" into the target. Every turn for 5 turns it "Grinds" into the target dealing damage. The target can do a DC 20 Strength check as a standard action to remove the weapon, if he does, he's armed with the Fleshgrinder weapon (If they had a free hand). You can retrieve the Fleshgrinder weapon as a standard action at any time. It takes no concentration or actions to keep "Grinding" into the target.

So it can be something like a Charge attack, GRIND. Next turn draw you back up weapon and smack away while it keeps grinding in.

Now I'm known for running 30 round combats on occasion, but even in this sort of situation I'd view Grind as being somewhat marginal. In many games encounters never last long enough for this to be of value. There are better things to spend your cash on.

Gwendol
2013-03-05, 07:00 AM
Leadership feat and get a bard cohort. Or pay for a bard retainer. Once combat starts he/she starts performing. IC bonuses will pay off handily.

ahenobarbi
2013-03-05, 08:12 AM
Armbans of Might (from Magic Item Compendium, 4100gp) give you +2 to-hit bonus if you power attack for 2 or more (and +2 to Str checks and Str-based skill checks all the time).

Krazzman
2013-03-05, 09:23 AM
Pick up the Maneuver Emerald Razor. You can basically pump everything into Power Attack then because hitting touch ac is... easy.

The Discipline Weapons can add a few nice things to your Weapon to-hit and dmg. Can't explain them directly.

At least for Pathfinder there is the "furious" enchantment, basically gives +2 to-hit and +2 damage whilst in rage.

Person_Man
2013-03-05, 09:50 AM
Optimizing Power Attack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7165087) and Pounce and Free Movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358) and Adding Extra Attacks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066595).

Should provide you with all the damage you need.

Darrin
2013-03-05, 09:52 AM
Armbands of Might (from Magic Item Compendium, 4100gp) give you +2 to-hit bonus if you power attack for 2 or more (and +2 to Str checks and Str-based skill checks all the time).

This, and one or the other of these:

Brute Gauntlets (500 GP, MIC). 3 charges, swift action to get a +2/+3/+4 morale bonus on melee damage.

Torc of the Titans (3300 GP, MIC). 3/day, swift action for a +5 morale bonus on melee damage, good for cranking out Power Attack multipliers.

While the Torc gets a higher bonus, you can buy half-a-dozen Brute Gauntlets for the same price and just put on a new pair whenever your current pair runs out of charges.

andromax
2013-03-05, 10:22 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned Heart Seeking amulet.. goes well to supplement Emerald Razor. 3/day touch attack.

Metahuman1
2013-03-05, 10:23 AM
Ok, here's what I'm thinking.

I'll ask the DM if I can have a custom item, maybe a ring or a clock, that gives me swift action at will persist blade spell form the spell compendium. It's basically a floating dagger made of force that attacks once every round for force damage. The neat part is it automatically flanks if the person who cast the spell (Or in my case used the spell trigger item.) engages in Melee.

That's a +2

Then I'll grab a pair of Armbands of Might for another +2.

Though this does make me wish I could just get like 5 Animated objects and have them hit with a Shrink Item spell so that I can get the aid another actions off them for my boost.

I'd probably spring for the leadership idea but the DM has explicitly banned it and variants of it.

Xerxus
2013-03-05, 12:24 PM
Frenzied Berserker.

Andezzar
2013-03-05, 12:25 PM
Frenzied Berserker.
Ooh yeah, TPK waiting to happen.

Pickford
2013-03-05, 12:40 PM
Pretty much what the title says. I'm building a Melee character and looking for options to fuel power attack.

Would prefer inexpensive gear to actual feats, as I don't have the skill ranks for Knowledge Devotion, the spell slots for Arcane Strike, or the feat slots for either of those or other options like Shock Trooper.

Game is starting at 6th lvl, and I've got about 6K GP to spend on this part of the character, having already bought my basics stat booster, my armor, my weaponry, and a minimal adventuring basics. I'm looking for a starting +6 to hit that I can use to pay for power attack and an additional +4 or so that will scale with level so that I can keep paying for it as the game goes on.

If there's no real gold left over, that's ok. If there is, that's ok too, I can think of things to do with it once I've met this need.

So, does anyone have any neat gear tricks that won't break my budget?

Power Attack can't grant more damage than your BAB (i.e. your class level if you're pure Fighter or only have the good BAB progression for classes)

So the only way to add +6 to hit as you mention is to take 6 levels in classes that grant +1 BAB per level. Any additional +to hit from attack rolls could not be used for power attack damage.

Andezzar
2013-03-05, 12:50 PM
Power Attack can't grant more damage than your BAB (i.e. your class level if you're pure Fighter or only have the good BAB progression for classes)This is wrong. You cannot subtract more than your BAB from the attack roll. How much damage that adds, depends on several factors, among them whether the used weapon is light (0 extra damage), one-handed (up to BAB extra damage) or two-handed (up to 2*BAB extra damage). So while you cannot subtract more than 6 at ECL 6, you can get the extra damage to 12.

Just to make it clear, two-handed weapons (and one-handed weapons wielded in two hands) do not double the extra damage, they use a different conversion rate. This is important for other abilities.

Xerxus
2013-03-05, 12:57 PM
Ooh yeah, TPK waiting to happen.

But... But -1 to hit -> +3 damage!

Pickford
2013-03-05, 12:59 PM
This is wrong. You cannot subtract more than your BAB from the attack roll. How much damage that adds, depends on several factors, among them whether the used weapon is light (0 extra damage), one-handed (up to BAB extra damage) or two-handed (up to 2*BAB extra damage). So while you cannot subtract more than 6 at ECL 6, you can get the extra damage to 12.

Just to make it clear, two-handed weapons (and one-handed weapons wielded in two hands) do not double the extra damage, they use a different conversion rate. This is important for other abilities.

You're right, I should have said that you can't subtract more than your BAB. Point still holds that you can't use any attack roll bonus, only the BAB from class levels. (ECL is irrelevant)

Andezzar
2013-03-05, 01:02 PM
ECL is relevant in that you cannot have more than 6 BAB at ECL 6, but yes the feat limits it to BAB.

But... But -1 to hit -> +3 damage!Yeah, on the team mates, without serious optimization.

Vaz
2013-03-05, 01:49 PM
Yep.

However, you need the attack bonus to hit, which is where True Strike comes in.

+40 to hit becomes +20 to hit.

With a Duskblade, (my favowit) and Shocktrooper, you can subtract that 20 from your AC instead and then no need for True Strike. Squeeze in Abjurant Champion, and you're cooking with gas from then on. Arcane Boost a 5th level spell to gain +10 AC on top of your Greater Magic Armour'd Full Plate. Then with the rest of the power attack boosts.

Now your Keen Kaorti Resin Mercurial Greatsword is suddenly Full Attacking with +80 Damage on each hit. Throw on the Poison Spell (Slime Domain Arcane Disciple), and you're looking at 1d10 Con damage on each attack. For free.

Deophaun
2013-03-05, 03:16 PM
The Discipline Weapons can add a few nice things to your Weapon to-hit and dmg. Can't explain them directly.
Discipline weapons are actually amazing, because they give you flat bonuses to hit, instead of a bonus to hit when making an attack with that weapon. Put them on gauntlets or armor spikes, and now if you're in the right stance, you get an extra +3 to hit with your greatsword/halberd/spiked chain/whatever. Also good for TWF.

Metahuman1
2013-03-05, 10:18 PM
I know I can only PA up to my total BAB. To start with I need a minimum +6 to hit form other sources to off set spending my whole BAB on PA. I also need some extra boosts so that as I gain levels with this character, I can keep dropping my entire BAB into PA and still be able to consistently hit my target.

Thanks for the turn onto Martial Discipline Weapons Property. That could turn out sexy as hell once I get a bit more money under my belt.

Now, here's a question. Is there a ranged weapon that accepts a type of ammo (such as a sling accepts bullets, a crossbow bolts or a regular bow arrows.) that one can be wielding, if one has only two hands and both are occupied using a melee weapon? (Note: I don't care if I take a massive penalty when I attempt to shoot the weapon, just as long as I'm considered to be wielding it. )

I have a reason to ask this, but I need the answer first before I know if it'll work.

ArcturusV
2013-03-05, 10:24 PM
If I remember you kind of have the backwards option for it with the Greatbow. You can melee with it and it is a ranged weapon shooting arrows.

There used to be, and I'm not sure if they ever updated it to 3rd edition the various "_____ Pistols", yes things like Axe Pistols and dagger pistols, etc. Thing is I can't ever remember seeing firearms in a 3rd edition source book so they probably didn't get updated. Maybe in Pathfinder since they use Gunnery?

Metahuman1
2013-03-05, 10:29 PM
I know 3.5 has rules for early firearms, but that's not what I'm looking for.

My characters primary weapon is gonna be a spiked chain, and since my characters hands are gonna be full using it I'm looking for a ranged weapon I can have equipped while I'm doing this. Maybe like a slingshot or a cross bow that mounts on my forearm or something similar to that, if anyone knows anything that fits the profile.

Miriad
2013-03-05, 10:45 PM
Lances deal double damage on a charge, there's an item called the Halberd of Vaulting, which grants +30 jump and 2x damage on a charge, and it is usually taken that you can take its attributes and insert into a lance, for a custom item. Then you just add the Valorous enchantment for an extra x2.

In total, 4x damage on a charge, which is pretty respectable.

Actually that would be x3. Damage multipliers are used additevly (+100%).

Gazzien
2013-03-05, 10:50 PM
Actually that would be x3. Damage multipliers are used additevly (+100%).

Lance (x2) * Unique (x2) * Valorous (x2) = 2 + (2-1) + (2-1) = 2+1+1 = x4

ArcturusV
2013-03-05, 10:51 PM
Well, an old school, and kinda far out there idea?

Get a horn of blasting and fashion yourself an armless set up for it. Use someone with "Craft: Blacksmithing" or something to make you a little device to wrap around your neck/shoulders and hold it up near your lips (like a harmonica setup). It sounds crazy... but hell, it's out there. It's easy enough to do. The magic item in question is a standard item.

And I have done that before in a game. >.>

Metahuman1
2013-03-05, 10:56 PM
Well, an old school, and kinda far out there idea?

Get a horn of blasting and fashion yourself an armless set up for it. Use someone with "Craft: Blacksmithing" or something to make you a little device to wrap around your neck/shoulders and hold it up near your lips (like a harmonica setup). It sounds crazy... but hell, it's out there. It's easy enough to do. The magic item in question is a standard item.

And I have done that before in a game. >.>

Flavorful, I'll keep it in mind.

Vaz
2013-03-05, 11:04 PM
Custom Item with Girallon's Blessing.

Have a look at the item creation guide to reduce costing from around 30K to around 1K instead.

With ever 5 CL gives you 2 additional arms you can use, for example, to dual wielding a Spiked Chain, although having new arms attack this way require a low DC (15) Will Save to pass. A CL 20 Item grants you 4 additional pairs of arms, for 10 in total.

You now have two choices; a Fuse Arms item; which grants you, +16 Strength, IIRC, or take a level in Rogue, 8 Arms worth of daggers, and throw them, at the enemy.

Get something to flank the opponent, or deny them Dex (use one of your arms to Tanglefoot bag them), then launch 7-8 daggers doing (Dex*1.5)+1d2+20+1d6 damage each.

Metahuman1
2013-03-05, 11:20 PM
Ok,

What I was actually going for was something kinda like this.

I have a rather petite crossbow on my arm. It has a bolt in it. I have enhanced the bolt with the Martial Discipline Property, at 1/50th the cost of a normal +2 weapon. Thus making it significantly more affordable. And in doing so, I now have a flat +3 to hit, which let's me have a +3 toward fueling Power Attack.

ArcturusV
2013-03-05, 11:31 PM
Yeah. Like Poison Ivy's set up. I get ya. The wrist Crossbow thing.

I mean if really all you are looking for is sources of Pluses for your Spiked Chain anyway you can continue with the Spike Motif, Spiked Gauntlets, Spiked Armor, etc.

Otherwise I'm not sure something like that really exists, particularly in the "ranged" category. Not unless your DM lets the local Gnome Guild tinker up some crazy clockwork sort of contraption.

... but those tend to blow up rather than actually work.

Metahuman1
2013-03-05, 11:37 PM
Her's or that guy one guy form the vampire hunter family in Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

And much as I like the spiked Mofit Idea, I just don't have the cash for it at this stage. At this point I'm just trying to land a solid, reliable +6 to start with, that I can scale over the course of 6 more levels to a +12, so that I can spend the entire game taking out a full power attack as a matter of course every time I attack and not having to worry about it. After all, I've got Pounce, Reach + Adjacent, multiple attacks of opportunity a round, Knock down and Improved Trip, Powerful Build and Martial Maneuvers, that's just enough options to make Melee interesting with out making it a pain in the butt.

Vaz
2013-03-05, 11:43 PM
1; don't bother
2; either take a Wand of Truestrike and UMD it in a wandchamber - 750gp for 50 attacks of +20power attack
3; get a custom munchkinned item of continuous true strike. It's 2000GP IIRC for a 1st level CL1 spell item spell. You can munchkin it even further to reduce its cost to about 6% (without crafting it yourself); so 120GP for permanent +20
4; take Shock Trooper

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-05, 11:58 PM
Here's a thread for you:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12842.msg434540#msg434540

That's how to get over 6000 damage on a charge, though... but you can take some of the ideas if you want.

I generally prefer a +1 Baatorian Greensteel (or equivalent... just a really good quality steel) Gloryborn (again, or equivalent) Valorous Greatsword.

Also, the True Strike thing actually had an article written on it...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050118a

It actually costs 400,000 gp. ;)

Metahuman1
2013-03-06, 12:02 AM

That.......might be a bit higher then this games optimization level.

I'm pretty sure if I have Martial Maneuvers and a proper to the game level weapon and can just full PA with my weapon, I'll be fine on damage output. Particularly since I get a free trip attempt every time I hit for 10 or more damage, and I get a free attack every time I make the trip.

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-06, 12:26 AM
This is a level 9 power attack / leap attack build / example thingy I use for such threads...

Human, Spirit Lion Totem, Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 9

Feats:
1. Power Attack
Hu: Battle Jump
3: Improved Bull Rush
6: Shock Trooper
9: Leap Attack

Items of note: A +1 Baatorian Greensteel Gloryborn Valorous Greatsword (a +2-equivalent weapon).
A +2 Enhancement item of strength.

Assumptions: He starts with an 18 strength and he puts his level 4 and 8 bonus to strength, and he maxxes Jump.

Here is his attack routine on a Whirling Frenzy-enabled Heedless Charge, jumping at the enemy to enable Battle Jump, with Leap Attack, with full power attack, at level 9:

Attack 1:
26 str (+8)
-2 to hit from whirling frenzy
+9 bab to hit
+1 enhancement to hit
+2 charge

Damage: 2d6
+1 enhancement
+12 strength (8 +4)
+1 Gloryborn
+27 with a Leap Attack Power Attack (9*3, via leap attack, rather than 9*1.5)
+1 from Greensteel

Multiplier x3 = Battle Jump (x2) + Valorous (x2)

(So a 2d6 changes into 6d6 after the x3 multiplier)

Damage on first attack is 6d6+126

So +18/6d6+126
or an average of 147 damage.

Attack 2:
26 str (+8)
+9 bab to hit
+1 enhancement to hit
+2 charge

This is the same as the first attack, so +18/6d6+126
again, an average of 147 damage.

Attack 3:
28 str (+8)
+4 bab to hit
+1 enhancement to hit
+2 Charge

+13 to hit

Damage:
Damage: 2d6
+1 enhancement
+12 strength (8 +4)
+1 Gloryborn
+27 with a Leap Attack Power Attack (9*3, via leap attack, rather than 9*1.5)
+1 from Greensteel

So this is +13/6d6+126
again, an average of 147damage.

So 441 damage at level 9, while relatively under-equipped (you should have higher strength and better gear).

Saito Takuji
2013-03-06, 12:39 AM
It's Book of Vile Darkness.

It is:

Edit: The key phrase is the "Grind" ability says "Deals damage as if the character who had been wielding it dealt a successful hit". So it does your strength bonus, power attack bonuses, etc. Not just pure Weapon/Magic bonuses.

now if only there was a way to be able to draw a weapon as part of a full attack, and gather, a huge ammount of these, and just keep on pouring on the pain. not sure what the highest number of attacks possible is, but after the fifth round, of slapping these things onto a target, one for each attack.... well i would love to see that happen

ArcturusV
2013-03-06, 12:47 AM
Quick Draw? It makes drawing a free action, and last I saw, you can take free actions while taking other actions. For example, talking while taking a full round action.

Andezzar
2013-03-06, 01:11 AM
I know I can only PA up to my total BAB. To start with I need a minimum +6 to hit form other sources to off set spending my whole BAB on PA. I also need some extra boosts so that as I gain levels with this character, I can keep dropping my entire BAB into PA and still be able to consistently hit my target. AB increases faster than AC (especially monster AC) so you wouldn't need to compensate for all of the AB loss at high levels.

Now, here's a question. Is there a ranged weapon that accepts a type of ammo (such as a sling accepts bullets, a crossbow bolts or a regular bow arrows.) that one can be wielding, if one has only two hands and both are occupied using a melee weapon? (Note: I don't care if I take a massive penalty when I attempt to shoot the weapon, just as long as I'm considered to be wielding it. )

I have a reason to ask this, but I need the answer first before I know if it'll work.Without knowing the reason, I would say, don't bother. Just get a Least Crystal of Return (MIC) for your spiked chain and any ranged weapon. Fire the ranged weapon, drop it (Free Action), and draw the chain (also a free action due to the crystal).

3; get a custom munchkinned item of continuous true strike. It's 2000GP IIRC for a 1st level CL1 spell item spell. You can munchkin it even further to reduce its cost to about 6% (without crafting it yourself); so 120GP for permanent +20A continuous item of True Strike won't work as you intend. True Strike only boosts the next attack if made before the next round. So while the spell will be active continuously, only the first attack will be boosted. Also I don't think any DM would give out that item for 2000 GP if it worked like you intended.

Feats:
1. Power Attack
Hu: Battle Jump
3: Improved Bull Rush
6: Shock Trooper
9: Leap AttackLeap attack cannot be combined with Battle Jump. the former requires a horizontal movement of at least 10 ft. and the latter requires you to drop vertically.

Items of note: A +1 Baatorian Greensteel Gloryborn Valorous Greatsword (a +2-equivalent weapon).Good luck getting that.

+27 with a Leap Attack Power Attack (9*3, via leap attack, rather than 9*1.5)It is *4, because the extra damage from a two-handed weapon is not a doubling of the extra damage of a one-handed weapon. It uses a different conversion rate. Leap attack adds 100% of that extra damage:

If you attack with a two-handed weapon, or with a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands, instead add twice the number subtracted from your attack rolls.

Vaz
2013-03-06, 06:03 AM
Whoops, Use Activated, not Continuous. No change in price.

Deophaun
2013-03-06, 10:39 AM
Custom Item with Girallon's Blessing....

With ever 5 CL gives you 2 additional arms you can use, for example, to dual wielding a Spiked Chain, although having new arms attack this way require a low DC (15) Will Save to pass. A CL 20 Item grants you 4 additional pairs of arms, for 10 in total.
Girallon's blessing was republished in the Spell Compendium. It no longer functions that way. You get one additional pair of arms, that's it.

Vaz
2013-03-06, 10:56 AM
Well that's less good then. Still half relevant, and 2Handed Power attack Full Attack, 5ft step and throw 2 Craven daggers is nice. If you have Brutal Throw as well, all the better. Bloodstorm Blade levels or Power Throw for the shiggles.

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-06, 11:23 AM
Leap attack cannot be combined with Battle Jump. the former requires a horizontal movement of at least 10 ft. and the latter requires you to drop vertically.

Good thing the jump is also high enough that it falls 10'! Yay! As for as the item, Greensteel is also plausible stats for anything that is really good, high quality steel that can hold an edge really well. And you could always make it out of Hizagkur instead...

Andezzar
2013-03-06, 11:31 AM
Good thing the jump is also high enough that it falls 10'! Yay!A long jump needs to be at least 40 ft. long to get to a height of 10 ft. Additionally:
You can execute a charge by simply dropping from a height of at least 5 feet above your opponent. For example, a ledge 10 feet above the floor of a cavern would suffice for jumping on a Medium-sized creature, while a ledge 15 feet high is required for a jumping on a Large creature. You can't jump from more than 30 feet above your opponent, nor can you effectively battle jump while under the influence of a fly or levitate spell or effect, as you have to hurl yourself down on your foe.No horizontal movement is allowed in Battle Jump.

Vaz
2013-03-06, 11:39 AM
Nothing there stopping Horizontal Movement.

Deophaun
2013-03-06, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I'm not seeing what disallows horizontal movement in the section you quoted, or anything you underlined.

Andezzar
2013-03-06, 12:38 PM
You have to be above the target, not above and a distance to the side. You have to jump down, not down and to the side.

With a long jump (required by Leap Attack) you are not jumping down.

Deophaun
2013-03-06, 01:39 PM
You have to be above the target,
This is true.

not above and a distance to the side.
Right, you do not have to be above and a distance to the side. Above is sufficient.

You have to jump down, not down and to the side.
Right, nothing says that you have to jump to the side. But you will need to provide something that says you cannot jump to the side.

With a long jump (required by Leap Attack) you are not jumping down.
True. But, if you jump high enough, you are falling from 5 feet above, so you satisfy the requirement. Of course, if you jump so high you're 30 ft above, you fail.

Andezzar
2013-03-06, 01:55 PM
True. But, if you jump high enough, you are falling from 5 feet above, so you satisfy the requirement. Of course, if you jump so high you're 30 ft above, you fail.Exactly, you are falling. You are not "hurl(ing) yourself down on your foe". A long jump only gives you forward and upward movement, the arc is caused by gravity (and friction). Battle jump however requires a downward acceleration.

Metahuman1
2013-03-10, 09:11 AM
Alright, here's a question then. I've had it suggested to me to just pump my str mod to pay for it. How much do I need at a given level to make that work? How high does my Str Mod have to be at each level to have enough to off set power attack and have enough bonus left over to adiquitly boost my too-hit enough for me to hit consistently?

Is there a formula for this, or something similar?

Andezzar
2013-03-10, 09:32 AM
You do not necessarily need a very high STR mod (though it would help), you need an Attack Bonus that is high enough to still hit consistently. There are many other things that will add to your AB besides STR. Just a few situational things:
- Charging gives you +2 AB. So you can take a penalty of -2 without being any worse off than not using charge and power attack
- being invisible gives you +2 to attack and makes the target flat-footed. That's at least another "free" -2
- Flanking gives you another source of "free" extra damage if you use power attack.
-there are plenty spells/potions/scrolls that boost your AB (and possibly damage). Their bonus can be converted into extra damage

Most likely you will not get much more than +11 to STR (+6 from a STR boosting item, +5 from a manual or wishes). All those will raise your AB by 5.

Given that the opponents' AC varies widely there isn't really a formula for that. And besides you can change the amount of Power Attack each round.

Metahuman1
2013-03-10, 09:54 AM
Yes, but more damage is better generally.

I should mention that I'm now actually looking at a character to start applying some of this too, so it's moved from general research too specific character help.

The game in question starts between lvls 4th and 6th (DM is still weighing his final choice but has assured a concrete answer by Monday.), and is a Tristalt.

Presently, what I'm gonna attempt, pending being able to find/make a good homebrew for the racial progression, is

Titan Monster Progression 20// Crusader 20// Mix of other things to give me a couple of useful tricks like Pounce, help Tripping, some additional movement and maybe feats, and possibly some of one of the other two Martial Initiator classes to give me some additional options.