Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. "
Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken

This last month has been hell. You have been tested, run ragged, and tested some more -- your entire life has led up to this point, and it is only now that it is over that you can look back and breathe a sigh of relief.

You have not just succeeded, but you have done so masterfully.

A day of refined wizardly revels lies behind you, and you find yourselves in Ignaceious's office. This large, mahogany-paneled room is cool and professional, and suits its owner well. He sits across from you, spectacles perched on his nose, and dark brown eyes studying you each in turn for a long moment.

"A Cabal is like a family," the ancient wizard begins, his voice deep and cadence slow. "You four will live together, travel together, eat together and sleep together. You will Journey together.

"Know that it is the Journey, not the destination that matters. Aid the people of Malgoyne; learn from farmers and peasants just as you would from your teachers here. The world is a dangerous place, but you are equipped to face it."

Headmaster Ignaceious gestures to a table to your right, and a light springs up upon it illuminating several neatly arranged items.

"May I suggest you take the long road south, to Argent. It is the traditional path of a Journeying Cabal, and the tombs and tors of the Wastes still hold some secrets for enterprising young wizards such as yourselves. Now, I bid you farewell. You are always welcome back at the Ensorcelled Spire, but may your time away be even more enlightening to you."

Standing up, you are able to gather several useful items from the table and make your way to the grand hall of the Spire. You look at the great adamantine doors, intricately carved, (http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/rodin/gates-hell.jpg) and realize that they are the same doors that brought you into this world of arcane study. It is through these doors that your destiny lies.

Archmage1
2013-03-05, 07:47 AM
As she stands and waits in Ignaceious's office, Starrae can't help but to pause and reflect over the past few months. While her skill in enchantment could not be denied, the only reason she was able to pass was the use of a pair of gloves.

That was perhaps the most difficult few months I have ever had. But, it is over, and I succeeded, courtesy of those gloves providing the power I needed to cast many of my spells. Now, after 16 years of training and education, I will be able to see the world. I have read about it, but I don't remember it, although I must have came from somewhere.

"Thank you, Ignaceious, it is kind of you to say so. I hope we will be able to meet again."

She looks to the others, perhaps a bit impatiently
"Shall we begin our journey? There is so much we could go and see, so much we could do."

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-05, 01:16 PM
Yurrid, after making a formal bow to Ignaceious, takes one of the sets of bracers, apparently knowing them to be bracers of armor, as well as a potion of healing, before exiting the office.

"Aye lass, just a moment" he responds, running his fingers over the stone of the great hall, remembering how the work of half his life thus far was to maintain it.

"All right then, who's up for that road to Argent?"

8wGremlin
2013-03-05, 02:38 PM
Thorgrim salutes Ignaceious, by slamming his fist over his heart.
I thank you for these gifts, and for the trust you put in my people.

Thorgrim reaches up with a dagger, and cuts a single braid from his plaited silver hair. Placing it on the table. he picks up the remaining set of braces, clamps them on.

He looks over his companions, before picking up the rest of the money and inks, and carefully stows them in his backpack

He looks up at Aidan, and passes him the potion of healing.
If one of us falls in battle, then do what you can, It will do me no good If I am laid out. perhaps you should take the cloak

Thorgrim turns and smiles at the tall horned girl
Will you do me the honour of taking the bandages?

He turns to look at Ignaceious, dips his head, and strides out the door, not turning back.

once outside you see him take a deep cleansing breath..

¤¤ Today is a very sunny day ¤¤ he sniggers

Failed Phantasm
2013-03-05, 03:30 PM
As Aidan had been waiting in Ignaceious's office for a short time before the others arrived, he was sorting through the jumble of emotions he was feeling: nervousness, anxiety, excitement, fear, pride. Homesickness. Lakeshire was so far away, seven and a half years and who knows how many leagues on foot or by wagon, but still he wanted to go see it again. And now that he'd become a Journeyman, he might get that chance one day.

Once everyone had gathered, he listened attentively to the headmaster and quietly pondered his words. They were two dwarves, one elf, and one human, and Aidan knew none of them particularly well. He was the youngest of the group and the tallest. 'We are going to make one very strange Cabal,' he thought bemusedly.

One of the dwarves - Thorgrim, Aidan believed his name was - passed him a cloak and potion. He accepted both with a slight nod, not wanting to think too long on what kind of danger they would find themselves in that one of them would need the potion. He carefully wrapped the potion in his bedroll before returning it to his pack, then assessed the cloak. As he ran his fingers over the fine material, he could feel the warm, tingling thrill of magic beneath his fingertips. With a fluid movement, he threw it over his shoulders and fastened it just below his neck. With one last deferential bow to headmaster Ignaceious, Aidan followed the other three out of the Spire.

"Onward to Argent," he whispered.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-05, 05:01 PM
The the immense doors of the Spire open onto an idyllic day for travel. The breeze is cool and steady, and the sky cloudless. As you walk through the grounds one last time, a group of students give you differential looks and waves. Clearly, they are excited for you, and look forward to their own future.

As you leave the safety of the Spire, do you take any precautions?

8wGremlin
2013-03-05, 05:28 PM
Thorgrim's caresses the the fine intricately carved leather of the braces, you notice that tiny blue sparks jolt betwixt his fingers..

So are we all ready?
and do any of you know of Argent?
He looks elated at the weather, and smiles warmly at his companions...

I have lightning gauntlets shaped

Archmage1
2013-03-05, 05:52 PM
As the dwarf in the brown cloak prompts her to take the band-aid, Starrae smiles down at him, before cheerfully replying "Of Course.". She places the item into one of her pockets. After doing so, she strips off her red gloves, pocketing them, and places the arcanist's gloves on her own hands. If you have good eyes, you could notice that her nails are solidly black.

After the departure
"I am as ready as I am ever going to be, and all I know is what I have read in some of the books. I was too young when I arrived to remember anything of the outside world."

As the others move out, she assumes the third position. Not in front, and not last in the group.

Actions:

take 10 on know: geography
No preparations, sadly.

Failed Phantasm
2013-03-05, 07:55 PM
"Would you mind giving me a few minutes before we set out, please?" Aidan asked the group. "I'll see if I can remember anything about the road south to Argent."

Aidan tilted his head slightly, looked up at the sky, and took a deep breath. His father had taught him a few tricks to help predict the weather and he had tried not to let himself fall out of practice. The direction of the wind, the smell of the air, the shape of the clouds in the sky, the season: all of these things could tell someone much about what the weather would be like for the next few days.

As he was doing this, he also wracked his brain for anything he might have read or heard about the road to Argent. Wagons with supplies and new apprentices came up the road from the south and sometimes he would, just to be friendly, chat with the merchants and Journeymen or Masters who were coming back to the Spire.

---------
Actions taken:

Aidan will take position two in the marching order - ahead of Starrae, but behind whoever takes the lead.
Take 10 (if possible, otherwise rolling: [roll0]) on a Knowledge (geography) check to learn about the path to Argent.
Take 20 (if possible, otherwise rolling: [roll1]) on a Survival check to predict the weather for the next 24 hours.

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-05, 08:04 PM
Yurrid seems near half-asleep in appearance during the day, though the ground never trips him up and he is fully attentive to any conversation (nightsighted, eyes half closed in direct sunlight as a result, but has a tremorsense-like feat). He assumes a position at the front of the party, and breathes in deeply as he feels the earth solidly beneath him.

Actions:
Assuming we are traveling at walking speed, and talking is a free actions, and taking constant move actions at a rate of 2 per round does not carry the same penalties as constant hustling for overland movement if the actions are not both actually movement actions, my character makes use of his earth sense feat to effectively have tremorsense 20ft, for detecting ambushes. If not, he merely uses such when there appears something interesting and/or dangerous.
EDIT: My interpretation of the earth sense feat is a minor enough effect that I hope it shall not be an issue; there are, after all, there are no "moving one's speed on a road" checks to fail.
Also, I carry my quarterstaff.

8wGremlin
2013-03-05, 09:30 PM
So I'll be bringing up the rear will I then...

Thorgrim unstraps his walking staff from his back, adjusts his pack and walks behind Starrae

So Ms Farwalker, time to live up to your name...

Does anyone even know how far it is...?

a little time later

lovely view from back here

actions:

Wields staff, moves to the rear of the party
squinting due to bright light: -1 spot in bright light

Archmage1
2013-03-05, 09:33 PM
"We will get there when we get there. I think we will be lucky if we can even get to the right continent."

@Thorgrims comment: Starrae pretends she did not hear it.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-06, 01:18 AM
The Geographically minded:
Argent is a three day journey to the south, at a fair pace on foot. Along the way, the Tor Badlands are dotted with tombs, caves, and tors, but vegetation and water is scarce. Because Journeymen travel the route frequently, there are several "safe spots" to stay the night -- these places have been explored before and contain fresh water or are otherwise ideal campsites. There are also "danger spots" or course

Yurrid feels confident he will be able to sense any vibrations caused by stalking predators.

Aidan
The wind is blowing swiftly and the air pressure suggests that despite the apparent pleasant weather, a storm will be here in two days at the latest.

The Cabal travels the well-worn path south to Argent. Once outside the Spire's walls, you are able to see quite far into the Tor Badlands. Small, rocky hills and shrubs dot the landscape for miles, but in the distance you can see some more sizable landforms. Far, far to the west lie the Arkhosian Mountains, a barely visible purple haze at this distance.

For the entirety of your day's travel, you encounter not a soul. Some sparse, dark clouds have begun to muster at the horizon, and it is about an hour until the sun sets.

Aidan recalls a "safe spot" tomb about twenty minutes travel southwest down a side trail. He is also aware of a "danger spot" two hours to the southeast along a different trail.

Failed Phantasm
2013-03-06, 01:47 AM
Aidan took a moment to scan the clouds at the horizon, tinted orange and red by the setting sun. If the wind didn't die down overnight, they could wake up to a deeply overcast sky. If they were lucky. At worst, there'd be a storm and they might have to lose time camping until it passed. With a frown, he murmured softly to himself, "I don't know if we can make it from one shelter to another in the rain. If there's a thunderstorm, we might lose the path in the darkness..." He turned to the rest of his cabal and said, "If those clouds gather any faster, I think we'll be facing a storm tomorrow. Depending on how bad it is, our only option might be to wait it out."

With a final glance at the setting sun to get his bearings, he picked out a somewhat worn path that led southwest. "There's a shelter down this path that the merchant caravans and other Journeymen use on their way to or from the Spire," he announced. "It should be safe for us to spend the night there, and it's not far. We can make it before sunset." Aidan checked his pack quickly, taking stock of his rations. If he ate tonight, there would be four days' worth left. Foraging might be an option if there were no storm tomorrow, but it was still about two days to Argent.

He slung his pack back over his shoulder and re-adjusted it. Aidan hoped to make it to the shelter as soon as possible, because he did not look forward to trying to navigate by moon- or starlight. Unlike the rest of his Cabal, he could not see nearly as well in dim light or darkness, but he had no idea how well the other three knew the roads and side trails or how well they could get along in the wilderness.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-06, 03:52 AM
Is everyone in agreement and following Aidan's lead down the southwest path?

8wGremlin
2013-03-06, 04:06 AM
Thorgrim's eyes light up as he looks at the approaching storm...

Aye, best head that way then... led on Aidan, we'll follow after

The sparks around Thorgrim's hand grow more energetic, as he stares off in to the darkening sky...

Yeah, fine by me. SW it is.

Archmage1
2013-03-06, 07:32 AM
"Aidan, a bit of rain never really hurt anyone. I suppose however, that getting soaked with no way to dry off would be somewhat unpleasant, however."

Starrae, knowing that her lack of geography courses was coming back to haunt her now, nods and agrees with Aiden's suggested course
"That seems like a reasonable enough plan to me. After all, spending the night with no shelter of any kind would be a bad idea."

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-06, 01:48 PM
"Aye, lead on."
Yurrid allows Aiden to move to the front to lead; if this option is not taken, he remains at the front.
"I wonder what sort of shelter this might be."

Actions:
Continues to use the earth sense feat.

8wGremlin
2013-03-06, 05:20 PM
I wonder if we shouldn't ha taken the other road...

I mean everyone travels this way, but what about the other way, where does that lead too?

Why have a path there?

Who lives down there, and why is it considered dangerous?

I think if we come this way again, we should go that way, it's not as if we've been given any directive by our head master, he just said go to Argent , and its not the destination but the journey, and take the long way round.

why must people always travel the safe well trodden path

Thorgrim looks abashed at his rant, looking down at his feet. One foot makes circles the dirt

Sorry... must be the storm... but it is a valid point... what are we doing here?
what's the point of going to Argent, are we not to travel the world, and see what needs to be done, adventures to be had? If we always travel the safe path, then we will never help the most needy, for they lay outside the safe places... what do you think?

Archmage1
2013-03-06, 05:28 PM
"It may have been a good idea to take the other path, perhaps, but taking this path is a better one. It is known that that area is dangerous. Thus, if you choose to live there, then you feel you are able to handle it. It is danger in the unexpected places that is truly dangerous."
She smiles, looking around once more
"Besides, if we get there quickly, we can go wherever we want to afterwards. I do this out of respect for the headmaster. What happens afterwards, happens."

8wGremlin
2013-03-06, 05:29 PM
but what of the people that don't choose to life there, what of them?

Archmage1
2013-03-06, 05:30 PM
"If they don't choose to live there,then why are they there? Choices are both action, and inaction. Choosing to not move away is still a choice."

8wGremlin
2013-03-06, 05:39 PM
Not unless they are being forced to life there, or can't afford to live in a safe place. We at the spire are a priviledged few, we had our food prepared and cooked for us. there are others who have to work for their living. The blacksmiths, and bookbinders, and ink makers - the people who make your cloths, books and rare inks... they have to have a skill to get paid so they can feed themselves....if you took your heads out of your spellbooks once in a while you'd see that magic isn't always an option. Some arn't so lucky they have to beg, hunt wild animals, sell their labour, anything to earn enough to feed themselves, or have a roof over their heads, or cloths on their backs...
hell if we get wet, we can prestidigitation our cloths dry. Others might have to wear wet cloths all the time.

You see the sparks of Thorgrim's hands grow more fierce, his silver eyes gleam in the setting suns orange light, as it casts dark shadows over his face, like a brooding god of the storm...then like a cloud passing across the sun, it is gone...

How far now...

Archmage1
2013-03-06, 05:40 PM
"Perhaps, but where there is a will there is a way."

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-06, 05:50 PM
Well, the safe path is the safe path for a reason. It'd be well designed, constructed, 'tleast maintained. 'Tis the advantage of society and order. Best way to get to our destination.
Yurrid thinks a moment.
But Ignaceious did say that the journey was of import.

8wGremlin
2013-03-06, 06:51 PM
"We could sleep at this place and then come back this way in the daytime?
Am I allowed to even suggest that, is it ok, if I do? I don't want to offend anyone..."

Archmage1
2013-03-06, 06:53 PM
"It is a wasted 40 minutes for us, but if you feel that strongly about it, I suppose I could do so..."

8wGremlin
2013-03-06, 07:01 PM
"40 minutes out of our whole lives, tis nothing.
We strive onwards seek out new experiences, new people to meet, new challenges... oh I'm quite excited by this..."

Thorgrim seems quite animated and lively, it brings a present moment against the darkening sky...

"So are we there yet?"
"Do we need to set watches and stuff, who's going to cook, and who's on watch and and other stuff"

Archmage1
2013-03-06, 07:20 PM
As Thorgrim continues acting like a child, Starrae turns back, and looks him in the eye
"We will get there when we get there. There is no use complaining about it. I imagine you could run, and get there faster, if you really wanted to. As for watches, I think we should take turns, each taking 2.hours, 45 minutes on watch, and sleeping the remaining time. As for cooking... What do we have to cook?"

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-06, 07:52 PM
At the mention of food, Yurrid looks up from thought a moment, then rests his hand upon the throwing dagger on his belt.
"I'm sure we can find something to eat."

Actions:
Yurrid now attempts to sense small, vulnerable, tasty creatures to kill as well as potential ambushes. Such is likely in vain, as I don't want to slow the party by moving at half speed as is requisite for the survival check to forage, but if it is sufficient to locate a meal...

NotScaryBats
2013-03-06, 11:00 PM
As Yurrid extends his senses to feel for more discreet vibrations, he notices something off the path, feeling like a weakened animal.

When he and the Cabal investigate, an unexpected scene is discovered. You see a human man, perhaps 30 years old, lying face down in the scrubby underbrush lining the road. Two darts are sticking in his neck, with bright blue plumage on their ends. He is very weakly trying to move, but making no progress at all.

The man is wearing simple traveler's clothing -- sturdy brown pants and a brown shirt. His hat lies a few feet away, and is filled with feces. All around the scene you see small, clawed footprints.

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-07, 12:32 AM
"Ach! What's this?"
Yurrid walks towards the injured man, though careful to avoid stepping into a trap. There he examines the man, setting aside his staff to look at what has happened.

Yurrik continues to use his earth sense while approaching the man, then attempts a heal check to tend to the man, relying on other party members to do the talking. Heal:[roll0]

NotScaryBats
2013-03-07, 12:54 AM
You can tell that the man isn't dying, and hypothesize that he is suffering from some sort of poison, likely delivered through the darts.

He is suffering from strength damage from a poison.

8wGremlin
2013-03-07, 01:24 AM
Thorgrim scans the horizon in the direction the small footprints led, but the setting sun is making him squint

spot:[roll0]

"Do you know what those things were?"

Thorgrim crouches down to get a better look at the small footprints

knowledge(Nature):[roll1] (untrained)

"could they be kobolds?"

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-07, 02:25 AM
Yurrik removes the darts from the man's neck and turns him over.
"Can you speak? What is your name?"

NotScaryBats
2013-03-07, 02:36 AM
"G-Grace..." the man whispers painfully, "they took my Grace..." He doesn't seem to be in any shape to answer questions.

Thorgrim thinks about it, but can't really think of anything to differentiate kobold tracks from other tracks.

Archmage1
2013-03-07, 07:25 AM
"If they took someone from him, then we should try and track whatever did this down, and recover it. However, leaving him here, like this, is just asking for trouble. Perhaps we should take him to the shelter, before we set out to track down these things."

After all, if the creatures did take someone from him, then they have probably taken other things as well. No harm in making a little gold on the side, is there...

8wGremlin
2013-03-07, 02:17 PM
Thorgrim stands up walks over to the **** filled hat, carefully picks it up and empties the contents on nth floor.

<<MUNDATIS>> he casts and sets about cleaning the hat and his hands.

Walking over to the man, "Can you stand?
If you rested a little, I would imagine you'd be wanting to get your Grace back"

Thorgrim removes his waterskiing an offers it to the man

"Tell us all you can remember, and would you permit me to clean you up?"

If the man makes any affirmative I'll use the prestidigitation to clean and mend the mans clothing

"I think that this man would like to rescue his Grace, who or what ever that is, as soon as possible. It will be dark soon so I think we should press on and see what we can do now, otherwise something might happen to Grace"

Failed Phantasm
2013-03-07, 03:22 PM
Aidan had stopped paying much attention to the others from the moment they had spotted the man along the side of the path. After seeing that Yurrik had gone to help him, Aidan immediately started to take mental note of all the tracks he could find, hoping that they could help answer important questions: Who did this? How many were there? Where did they come from? Was this a deliberate ambush or an unfortunate encounter? Where did they go afterwards? How quickly were they moving? He didn't have nearly enough time to make as thorough a search as he would have liked, and it would only become progressively harder every hour after sunset. And if it did rain, especially if it rained hard, the tracks could very easily be washed away.

Aidan snapped his head up to briefly remark, "I agree with Starrae: we can't leave him here like this. He needs to be taken to the shelter first. We're not far." He then looked back down and kept searching through the low brush. The blowdarts implied that whoever did this was trying to be stealthy, so he had to make as careful a search as he could with the time he had, looking for anything that might have betrayed movement - bent twigs, misplaced leaves or blades of grass, scraps of cloth that may have caught on the brush.

----------
Actions taken:

Make a Search check to make note of as many tracks as can be found in the immediately surrounding area. [roll0]
Make a Survival check to determine the origin, number, and direction of the tracks. [roll1]
If applicable, make a Knowledge (nature) check to determine what kind of creature made the tracks. [roll2]

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-07, 03:57 PM
"Ah dinnae think he can speak more, Thorgrim. But he'd probably appreciate the cleaning when he wakes. If ye' could hand me your quarterstaff, I'll see about carrying him."

Yurrid takes out some rope and begins tying knots around the quarterstaves.

Yurrid attempts to rig a stretcher from the quarterstaves and rope to better carry the injured man. Taking 10 on this craft check; if this task seems complex enough to take more than 20 minutes, he abandons the effort, as it seems it would be easier to simply carry the man with his arms on the shoulders of 2 party members.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-07, 04:25 PM
Yurrid swiftly fashions a simple stretcher while Thorgrim cleans the poor man off. He isn't quite able to respond to your queries, moaning something unintelligible about his Grace. Aidan, quite skilled in wilderness survival discovers several things.

First, there were likely four kobolds who tracked this man and another medium sized humanoid (wearing boots) and laid in ambush for them. The other humanoid left with three kobolds, going to the east. One kobold split off icontinuing to the southwest, along the trail.

Failed Phantasm
2013-03-07, 11:59 PM
Aidan made one final check of the tracks before standing up from his crouch and addressing his Cabal. "As far as I can tell, there were at least four kobolds lying in ambush on both sides of the path," he stated, pointing to a patch where the blades of grass had been flattened by the rough shape of a small humanoid. With a small shake of his head, he continued, "There might have been more, but the tracks aren't different enough for me to tell." He then took a few steps east and used his quarterstaff to point to boot-shaped footprints that led away to the east. "Three kobolds and another person, probably this "Grace," headed east. The kobolds might have a camp or lair somewhere nearby."

Aidan then stepped back over to the main path, and pointed out one final set of tracks that were alongside the road. "The last one went southwest, maybe towards the shelter. I can only find one set of tracks, but I find it strange there would be a lone kobold traveling alone." Finally, he moved over to help the dwarves load the man onto the stretcher. "We should be very careful," he said softly. "Even if there's only one, we don't have anything with us to treat whatever is on those blowdarts. We still have the coming storm to consider, and Argent is at least two days away at a good pace."

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-08, 12:27 AM
Yurrid, with Thorgrim's and Aidan's help, carefully rolls the man onto the stretcher, then takes position at the front of the stretcher.

"Let's hope he can tell us something once he's rested enough to recover," Yurrid ponders, "and that such is enough for us to do something after the delay."

Actions:
Resumes using the earth sense feat.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-08, 03:01 AM
The two dwarves are able to easily carry the injured man between them on the makeshift stretcher. It isn't long before the "safe spot" comes into view -- it is a tomb built into a medium sized tor. The terrain is full of cairns and rocky outcroppings; cover and places to hide are everywhere. The path is packed dirt.

You can hear before you see it, but a kobold is pacing around outside the tomb's opening. It is grumbling and coughing in the crude, grating dialect of draconic that kobolds speak.

Draconic
"Kek, kek, Mistress for the Dragon... *cough, snort* Find Mistress for the Dragon! Mistress! Come! Come out! *hack, yiff* Mistress for the Dragon..."

The creature is wearing dusty leather armor, and has glossy black scales flecked with gold. You see a long bone on its belt, about a foot and a half long. It doesn't seem to notice you approach, and continues its pacing and salivating. From inside the tomb, you can hear someone crying softly.

8wGremlin
2013-03-08, 03:40 AM
Thorgrim pauses and whistles loudly

<< Prae! Prae! come here! >>

Yurrid's tremor sense, flicks for a second

Then from out of the tall grass a small black winged cat appears and leaps up and lands on Thorgrim's shoulder

<< What!!! I was chasing a field mouse..., What is it...>>

The cat meows indignantly

<< Prae, this man is hurt and has been attacked by some small creatures, they took a humanoid with them, called Grace. Can you take to the air, and search around for ten minutes then catch up.. >>

<< what did your last slave die off eh! Well if it is to help, I'll do it, but you need to warm a nice stone when I find them so I can get some decent kip >>

The winged cat eyes the humming bird with gleaming lustful eyes...

<< NO Prae! never that one >>

The cat meow's loudly in a dismissive kind of way, then leaps to the air, disappearing in to the growing darkness.

Thorgrim sends his animal companion Prae, a tressym to scout out the area for ten minutes.

Prae hides: 1d20+18
Prae speaks Draconic which will be << DRACONIC>>

The tressym can fly 50' (good) has int 12, AC 14, 2hp, Dark vision 60', low light vision, and has good hide skills +18, scent and immunity to poison

It will scout out the area for ten minutes and come back and tell us what it saw... Prae i feel is a typical cat, but a bit more superior complex, but on the whole a good cat. Thorgrim and Prae are good friends, they may argue, but they would die for each other.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6351180/prae.png

Archmage1
2013-03-08, 07:49 AM
Cat shenanigans
As the familiar form of Prae comes out of the grass, the small hummingbird that has been following Starrae around for a very long time peers out from Starrae's hood. As the cat looks at her, the hummingbird pokes her tongue out at the cat, tauntingly.

As they approach the kobold, Starrae gestures to the others, wanting them to keep out of sight for now, while she speaks to the kobold.

(in Draconic)
"Bow before your Mistress, foolish creature, and I may spare your life!"

[roll0] bluff
[roll1] diplo

NotScaryBats
2013-03-08, 03:23 PM
The kobold looks surprised for a moment, then pleased.

"Yes! Yes! Mistress *kek, cough* for the Dragon. Come! Come!" it bobs its head and approaches Starrae. If she lets it get close enough, it reaches a clawed hand out and grasps her hand, intent to lead her away to her destiny.

Failed Phantasm
2013-03-08, 03:56 PM
Hunkered down some distance away behind a pair of bushes to avoid being seen, Aidan watched the scene between Starrae and the kobold unfold. Fortunately, everything was quiet enough that their voices carried and he could hear most of what they were saying. 'She cannot seriously be doing this,' he thought in disbelief. 'We still have an injured man to care for and someone or something else inside the tomb to investigate, and she's going off on her own?' How could she expect the group to follow her without making enough noise to give themselves away, or track them without using magical light? 'Light!' he exclaimed mentally, struck by sudden inspiration.

Quickly drawing a piece of dimly-glowing moss from his spell component pouch and a sizable pebble from the ground next to him, Aidan touched the two together and started to murmur the words to a spell. In a moment, the stone began to glow with such a bright light that Aidan had to cover the stone with his hands. Passing it to Thorgrim, he whispered, "Give this stone to your familiar and have it fly a little bit behind Starrae and the kobold so that it won't be noticed. The light is bright enough to stand out against the sky, so we can see which way they're going." The magical light would only last a few minutes, but it would help confirm whether or not the kobold and Starrae were going east like the other kobolds had earlier.

Uttering a noise that was halfway between a frustrated growl and a resigned sigh, Aidan shook his head slightly and whispered, "She'd better hope, for her sake, that this 'dragon' the kobold is talking about is a statue or something."

----------
Actions

Cast Light on a pebble (duration: 10 minutes).
Prepared spells remaining: Cantrips -- Detect Magic, Mending, Read Magic. 1st level -- Light of Lunia, Mage Armor, Nightshield.

8wGremlin
2013-03-08, 04:34 PM
Draconic:
Prae, would you be so kind as to follow the kobold and the woman, and see where they go. Aiden would like you to carry the pebble to guide his way, so we can follow you. Continue to follow them, as best you can I'll fire off sparks after twenty minutes so you can find us easier. be safe, drop the pebble and return if anything attacks you!

What! Not going to do it, I'd be SEEN.. I'm a silent stealthy hunter of the night, not some torch bearer...

Yes, Yes you are a silent stealthy hunter of the night, but the girl and the humming bird may be in trouble... who else is as skilled a silent hunter than you. none of us could do it.

And besides the humming bird might get eaten by a kobold...

Prae lets a meow of pride and annoyance

Draconic:
If I'm not allowed to eat it, no one is... I shall make it my duty to protect the pretty bird... until I'm allowed to eat it all to myself

The Tressym pads over to Aiden, meows something and waits for Aiden to tie the light pebble on to her collar.

It gives Thorgrim and soft growl and leaps in to the air...

Draconic:

Prae be safe, don't do anything foolish

Prae be safe...

So what are we going to do now... we have to follow Starrae now, but what about Mr Grace.. we'll have to bring him with us...

Let me carry him over my shoulder, and take my staff, it wont slow us down, and we'll be more ready for a fight if it should come to it.

Actions:

Prae will take the light pebble and follow Starrae and the kobold.

I'll take Mr Grace and sling him over my shoulder (puts me on medium load, no problem for a dwarf) and remove my staff from the stretcher, then set out after Prae. We'll follow the light, keeping in sight.

After twenty minutes, I'll use my still active prestidigitation, to fire small flares in to the air, and wait for Prae to return and report.

Archmage1
2013-03-08, 05:40 PM
Considering that this might be a bad idea, but knowing that she has allies nearby, Starrae allows herself to follow behind the kobold, as her new found friend leads her.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-08, 05:55 PM
Draconic:

"Yes! Good! Yes, good, yes, good!" The kobold's hand is warm and dry, its supple scaly hand grasping your finger and leading you down the path the way you came -- to the east.

"More Mistresses for *cough, snort* for the Dragon. Dragon demand beautiful, fleshy, plump *drool, slurp* Mistress! Mistress make strong hatchling for the Dragon!"

The kobold is utterly engrossed in its attempts to woo Starrae, and doesn't notice for an instant the flying light trailing it.

Now that you are close, you can tell that this kobold is wearing black lacquer on its scales, and the parts where it is rubbed off show the golden color of its true scales. The bone on its waist is likely the weapon that delivered the blowdarts to "Mr. Grace's" neck, and you see a pouch on its other hip, with some bright blue plumage poking out.

Though you expected the nasty little creature to stink or be dirty, it is remarkably clean, and the only smell is the coming rain on the wind.

If you allow it to, the kobold will lead you for twenty minutes all the way back to the main road, then even further. How long are you traveling with it?

Once the kobold leads Starrae out of sight, is the Cabal doing anything? Moving into the tomb to investigate? Undoing "Mr. Grace's" stretcher to prepare for battle? Following Starrae quietly?

Archmage1
2013-03-08, 05:58 PM
Now, I wonder what this dragon is. Hopefully, not a true dragon. That would be... bad. At least I should be able to get near any other captives, which will make things simpler. At worst, I think I can escape, and the others should be following me

Starrae follows the kobold(the full way, unless the others arrange an ambush)

Along the way(in Draconic)
"Could you describe the Dragon?"

NotScaryBats
2013-03-08, 06:04 PM
"Dragon son of Dragon. Very strong, *hack, cough* very handsome," the kobold looks up at you with a sidelong glance, its beady reptilian eyes inscrutable, "make good hatchling with Mistress.

"Dragon kill father and steal book, very strong, very smart. *kek, kek* Rule Arkhosian Mountain with iron fist. *cough* Control weather, control She Devil. Look for fleshy Mistress lay hatchlings."

Archmage1
2013-03-08, 06:14 PM
So, a half dragon, possibly a wizard. This should be interesting.

Starrae returns to silence, looking around as they move.

Failed Phantasm
2013-03-08, 07:12 PM
The moment Starrae and the kobold started back down the road, Aidan was hurriedly and quietly whispering a strategy to the dwarves. "We don't have much time to argue, so here's the plan: two of us need to follow Starrae, and one of us needs to stay here and get the wounded man into the tomb." He glanced up quickly to get a fix on Thorgrim's familiar before turning to Yurrid and continuing, "Yurrid, you and I are going to go after Starrae. I'll need you to guide me in the dark, in case that light goes out while we're following them."

Aidan looked up again - they weren't too far away yet - and then helped adjust the man on Thorgrim's shoulder before telling him emphatically, "There's no way we're taking an injured person into a potentially dangerous encounter with kobolds. See if whatever's making that sobbing sound in the tomb is friendly. If it is, see if he or she needs any help and whether or not it's safe to leave our injured friend there." Aidan then paused to think, his brow furrowed. After a moment, he continued, "If it's not, try to find a safe and hidden place in the tomb entryway to leave him. Keep him warm if you can. When your familiar returns, it should be able to lead you back to the rest of us." With one last nod to Thorgrim, he patted Yurrid on the shoulder to come and started down the path after the flying light.

They weren't too far behind - actually, if he had to guess, they were at a good distance. Close enough to still see them, far enough to not give themselves away by making noise. Even better, the flying light idea was as helpful as he'd hoped it would be. On the other hand, Aidan was not particularly happy with having the Cabal be split up like this, or about what little could be done now for the poor fellow who'd lost "Grace". 'Gods help us if it starts raining. Starrae, you had better know what you're doing.'

8wGremlin
2013-03-08, 07:51 PM
Then.. good luck... Thorgrim turns and starts walking back in the direction of the tomb.

Upon approaching the tomb, Thorgrim gently lowers 'Mr Grace' in to some undergrowth hidden from the path. Stay here and be quiet, I'll go and see what in the tomb, and come back and get you if it's safe

Picking up his staff, he carefully tries to sneak up in the dark relying upon his darkvision (70') to see with. as he approaches, Thorgrim stops and listens carefully to see if he can spot or hear anything in the tomb. He'll approach

Hide:[roll0]
Move Silently:[roll1]
Listen: [roll2]
Spot:[roll3]

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-08, 08:57 PM
"Goodbye, old friend." Yurrid says quietly to Thorgrim. "Hope we both survive this."

Though he followed Aidan swiftly, Yurrid seemed much more concerned and alert after Starrae left, especially in keeping an eye towards the sky.

Yurrid has, based on my presumption of what 4 ranks knowledge (arcana) entails, concluded that any dragon which has reached sexual maturity is old enough to swallow him whole before he can even hit it.
Actions:
Follows Aidan. Continues to use earth sense feat, in case of mooks

NotScaryBats
2013-03-09, 11:24 PM
Thorgrim approaches the tomb entrance cautiously. The heavy stone door is built open and engraved:

"O man, whoever thou art, from wheresoever thou cometh, for I know you shall come, I am Cyrus, who built this land and called it Malgoyne.
Grudge me not, therefore, this little earth that covers my body."

The inside of the tomb is lit by a flickering torch, and seems warmer than the outside. You see an inlaid silver line cutting across the entranceway, with arcane runes on it. All of these things add up in your head and you realize that this is the Tomb of Cyrus, the First Wizard, who taught magic to the people of Malgoyne. He allegedly loved the people so much that he created a sanctuary out of his tomb; it is said that no harm will come to any who stay here.

You can see a human woman inside the twenty by twenty foot room, dressed in earth tone traveling clothes.

"g-go away... when my husband comes back, he'll... he'll..." she seems to be moaning as much to herself as to you.

The Cabal continues to follow Starrae and the kobold to the east, and the kobold continues in the same vein as before, reiterating that the Dragon is powerful and Starrae is plump and fleshy enough to please it.

8wGremlin
2013-03-10, 12:20 AM
"'ear lady.... " Thorgrim calls softly.

"I'm a dwarven wizard, I mean you no harm" Thorgrim steps out so he can be easily seen from the tomb.

"I seek shelter for me and a wounded man. He appears to have been attacked by Kobolds, He seems to have been travelling with some one called Grace"

Thorgrim pauses for a moment, listening intently for any sounds of impending combat Listen [roll]1d20+0

"my friends have gone to rescue her, whilst I seek shelter for me and the man"

Thorgrim waits for an answer...

Thorgrim will wait for the woman's answer

If she is ok, I'll get Mr Grace and take him in to the tomb, and seek shelter there.

I'll warm up the tome by using the last of my prestidigitation to heat up a large rock.

If not I'm sure you'll tell me

Archmage1
2013-03-10, 12:26 AM
Starrae, feeling a bit nervous now, but still wanting to find the dragon, continues to follow her "friend"

NotScaryBats
2013-03-10, 12:41 AM
"G-Grace? And Anson!? Attacked by kobolds!?" The woman rushes to her feet and helps you get the man in and settled with a cool rag on his head. She seems to know a bit about first aid, and starts to tend him.

About five minutes pass, and you learn that this woman's name is Tasha, her husband is Anson, and their daughter is Grace. The family was traveling from town to town along the road (Tasha is a medicine woman of sorts) and they were staying the night here in the tomb. Anson and Grace left to gather some food and never returned, while that kobold harassed Tasha for about an hour.

As for the tomb, it is quite comfortable, and undoubtedly enchanted; the temperature is warm but not stifling, a continual light spell illuminates it with gentle torchlight, and a basin of clean, fresh water bubbles up in a corner. There is a great, locked door that ostensibly leads deeper inside, but the general consensus is to heed Cyrus's last wishes and not disturb the inner sepulcher.

You feel the woman and her husband are safe in here (the kobold was apparently denied entry, even though it continually tried to get in) and think you could catch up to your companions if you chose to.

8wGremlin
2013-03-10, 01:43 PM
Ms Tasha, I have left a couple of days rations for you here, I will seek out my friends and return where have your daughter. Wait here three days if you can, and then travel to the spire, ask to see High Mage Ignacious, tell hoof your plight and the spire will look after you. Well make sure you and your daughter are united again.

I must try and catch up with my companions... I, I hope to return soon.
Farewell Tasha, fair well Anson.

Leave 4 days worth of trail rations with them.

Then leave and head in the direction I last saw the party head.
When I get to the place where I left them become more cautions and scan the skies for Prae or my companions...

Search [roll0]

NotScaryBats
2013-03-11, 06:40 PM
Tasha gratefully accepts the food, since her husband wasn't able to forage any. She wishes you well and returns to her ministrations.

It isn't long before Thorgrim is able to catch up with the Cabal -- the kobold leading them is eager, but has short legs and walking and talking is difficult for it.

After about two hours of shadowing the creature, the group arrives at a large tor with an unusual building built on top of it. It looks like it was built as the beginnings of a Mage Tower that never got finished; the tower section is far to thin to hold any real floors, and the several-room base was likely tacked on afterwards (the stones are of different type).

The kobold ignores the front door and tries to lead Starrae around a side. As you get close, you see dark blue runes painted on the large stone door. Starrae recognizes the mark as an Arcane Lock spell.

Spellcraft (20)
I rolled OOC for you. Arcane Locks are primarily used by wizards of the Spire to keep uninitiated folk out, and have a way to bypass them built in. You scored high enough to decode the method of bypassing this lock -- casting the cantrip Light on the door will unlock it.

The kobold is still oblivious to the rest of the Cabal, who are about thirty feet away, and see it trying to lead Starrae around the side of the building. It is saying, "Door no good -- no open. *kek, cough* use rope on side. Call others..."

Archmage1
2013-03-11, 06:49 PM
Alas, Starrae can't cast light.

Starrae continues to follow the kobold, leaving the decision as to what to do in the hands of the others.

"Do you have rope, or is that why you are calling the others?"

NotScaryBats
2013-03-11, 07:11 PM
"Call others -- drop rope."

Archmage1
2013-03-11, 07:14 PM
"Ah. Understood"

Starrae tries to form gestures, visible to the others, mimicking the arcane lock spell, and the light spell in succession. Specifically, not seen by the Kobold.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-11, 09:56 PM
Starrae looks over her shoulder at the rest of the Cabal and makes some gestures, indicating the door -- they feel pretty confident they understand what she's saying.

Archmage1
2013-03-11, 09:57 PM
"Then call away. This should be interesting"

NotScaryBats
2013-03-12, 12:28 AM
The kobold nods, and calls up to the tower, "Hey! Mistress for the Dragon!"

There is no response for a minute, and then a rope ladder is thrown down. The tower is about 30 feet up, and the kobold turns to Starrae and says, "Mistress climb rope -- meet Dragon!"

8wGremlin
2013-03-12, 05:59 PM
quietly "Phew, managed to catch up with you, whats been going on?" Thorgrim whispers.

Thorgrim scans the area paying particular attention to the doorway.

"Prae, I'm glad your safe... I was worried about you"

"Prae, can you fly high and see what's up there on the tower?"

"make sure your not seen"

Thorgrim removes the old light pebble from Prae's collar

Should we go through the door, or follow Starrae, I could probably get Prae to drop the rope down to us...

I wish we could message Starrae, and then we'd know for sure what's going on...

Prae hides: [roll0]
Prae flies moves silently: [roll1]

Archmage1
2013-03-12, 06:00 PM
Starrae starts climbing the rope.

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-13, 12:52 AM
"Well, she seemed to be indicating the arcane lock and light spells with those gestures," Yurrid whispers.
"Does anyone ha' a light spell prepared?"

NotScaryBats
2013-03-13, 02:18 AM
Starrae climbs up the rope. Its a bit of a tough climb for the weak tiefling, but she manages. Once atop the tower, she sees two more kobolds eagerly and -- hungrily? -- gazing at her. "Mistress meet Dragon now,"the kobold that 'captured' you says with authority. Another damn rope leads down a chimney-like hole into the tomb. One kobold, also wearing black lacquer that is slightly chipped, makes its way down the rope.

The Cabal reaches the door and may interact with it as they please. After a quick Spellcraft session, Aidan confirms that this is an Arcane Lock built to open if Light is cast upon the door. Does anyone have any *bright* ideas?

Archmage1
2013-03-13, 06:25 AM
Panting, Starrae leans up against a wall.
"Do you mind waiting a few minutes? That was not an easy climb"

I would have her cast sleep now, but would I get a surprise round against the three kobolds?

Failed Phantasm
2013-03-13, 12:54 PM
Aidan rubbed his eyes before examining the door one more time. The sun must have set at least an hour ago, and he was worried about other kobolds stumbling across them while they were trying to open the door. "I already cast the only Light spell I prepared today," he wearily replied to Yurrid. "Unless one of you can do it or have some way of breaking this thing down, I'm not sure we'll be getting inside tonight." He added hastily, "But the noise of breaking it down would bring every kobold in the area running to investigate, so let's try to avoid that." Aidan thought briefly about doing exactly that, just to draw a number of the kobolds off, but he just as quickly dismissed the idea. Too unpredictable.

"Although," he murmured thoughtfully, "if Starrae can somehow trick, incapacitate, or charm the kobolds, we might be able to join up with her."

NotScaryBats
2013-03-13, 04:44 PM
Starrae feels confident she could get the drop on the scaly creatures if she suddenly cast a spell on them.

Aidan also feels like his Light of Lunia could work on the door in a pinch.

Prae hides successfully and is now observing the scene with Starrae and the kobolds atop the tower.

Archmage1
2013-03-13, 04:46 PM
Starrae tries quietly casting sleep on the three kobolds near her, hoping that none of them would resist her magic. And hoping that she would not be in the area of her spell

(Dc 16 sleep)(cl 2)

8wGremlin
2013-03-13, 04:49 PM
I didn't prepare that spell either, and I don't have anything else. Soes the lock require a light spell or a spell of the Light aspect?
Try it and see, but be careful, if they see a sudden flash they might notice! Thorgrim looks up at the tower, and at the door ahead.
I hope she knows what's doing.... I hope that she's alright... I do so worry about her... he says quietly...

Action:
Thorgrim waits to see what the others do.

Prae waits to see what Starrae does, if she gets in trouble, Prae will lend some assistance but flee if she is hurt or in more danger than Starrae

NotScaryBats
2013-03-13, 05:00 PM
Kobold on rope: [roll0]
Kobold that lead you here: [roll1]
Third Kobold [roll2]

The area up here is cramped, but you manage to shape your 10 ft burst to not include yourself in the spell.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-13, 05:07 PM
Prae sees Starrae cast a spell.

Starrae sees one kobold succumb, he was standing next to you and is now on the floor. The kobold who led you here looks very surprised. "Mistress go to Dragon beat up and sleepin!" it squawks angrily at you.

Initiative:
Drake, who led you here [roll0]
K1, who is on the rope [roll1]
Starrae [roll2]
Prae [roll3] I dunno what her mod is, but let me know

Archmage1
2013-03-13, 05:09 PM
"There comes a time where going to someone to be raped is a bad idea. Then again, that is always a bad idea."

Once more, Starrae casts sleep, hoping to have a bit better luck this time, as it is her last one.

actions

cast sleep(dc 16)

NotScaryBats
2013-03-13, 05:38 PM
Once again, Starrae weaves her enchanting magic.

The kobold in the chimney makes his way back up the rope to combat the tiefling wizard.

[roll0] climb check DC 5 to get up the rope
draw weapon as free action as part of movement
fire blowdart at Starrae [roll1]
on hit, 1 dmg

Prae is able to act before Drake.

8wGremlin
2013-03-13, 05:47 PM
Prae darts in between Starrae and Drake, trying to block its line of sight, and attacks Drake, clawing at it's eyes...

Charges: attack: [roll0] damage [roll1] (min: 1)
Note: +2 to attack for charge, -2ac Start of next turn (SoNT)

Prae knows that she will be caught in the ensuing burst of sleep.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-13, 06:33 PM
The brave tressym puts itself in harm's way to protect Starrae. Drake yelps as his face is clawed, and opts to return the favor, distracted by his anger.

claw [roll0] on hit [roll1]
claw [roll2] on hit [roll3]
bite [roll4] on hit [roll5]

After his attack routine, Starrae releases her magic yet again
[roll6] drake save
[roll7] k1 save

It is Starrae's turn.

Archmage1
2013-03-13, 06:46 PM
Starrae tries firing her crossbow, hoping for some luck against this unusually resilient kobold

[roll0] [roll1]
Reload it

NotScaryBats
2013-03-13, 06:52 PM
Starrae's crossbow bolt bites into Drake's chest, drawing more blood and further chipping its black lacquer. "Why? Dragon strongest one there is *kek, cough* make Mistress happy!"

The kobold steps over the Tressym's sleeping form and ignores his incapacitated companions. His bloody claws tear at the tiefling's body -- it looks like it no longer is interested in taking you prisoner.

You hit and bloody Drake.
Claw [roll0] on hit [roll1]
Claw [roll2] on hit [roll3]

It is Starrae's turn.

8wGremlin
2013-03-13, 06:52 PM
Prey trying to disengage turns and feels the magical tendrils of the sleep spell grip her mind and slowly he eyelids get heavy, and she succumbs to the enchantment...

Archmage1
2013-03-13, 06:56 PM
Starrae deftly evades the claws, allowing them to catch nothing but air.
"Strength alone is not enough to make one desirable. Some sort of personality is often nice as well. Kidnapping women to serve as breeders... is not a good thing."

Starrae steps back 5 feet(if possible), before fireing and re-loading her crossbow once more.

[roll0] [roll1]

NotScaryBats
2013-03-13, 07:05 PM
The fight up above has intensified sufficiently for those below to hear the action. You hear the twang of a crossbow, the hiss of a kobold, and two voices arguing in Draconic (you can hear what was said in the last round)

The foolish kobolds haven't quite raised the first rope yet, and you can make it around to it easily. It is a 30 foot climb with a wall to brace yourself against, base DC 5

"Missed!" Drake hisses angrily, pursuing Starrae again. He is now close enough to utilize his bite as well.

Claw [roll0] on hit [roll1]
Bite [roll4] on hit [roll5]

Archmage1
2013-03-13, 07:12 PM
Starrae manages to avoid the second claw, but her dodge takes her straight into Drake's bite. Cut deeply on the left arm, she once more tries fireing her crossbow, then reloading, having no where left to step to.

Drake got a critical with his bite.
[roll0] [roll1]

8wGremlin
2013-03-13, 07:15 PM
"She's in trouble...." Thorgrim runs for the rope, slings his quaterstaff across his back and climbs [roll0]
"Prae!, Prae's in trouble...oh and Starrae too!"

NotScaryBats
2013-03-13, 07:24 PM
Are the Cabal wizards climbing at 1/4 speed, or 1/2 speed with +5 to the DC?

Thorgrim moves 10 feet up the rope -- he is 1/3 of the way to the top.

The others are able to do their actions.

Drake easily dodges the crossbow bolt, having spent its life learning to fight and not studying books in the Spire.

Attack of Opportunity [roll0] on hit [roll1]

Full attack on its turn

Claw [roll4] on hit [roll5]

Bite [roll6] on hit [roll7]

I believe this puts you at -2 hp, correct?

This starts a new round, after the other two Cabal members take their actions.

Initiative:
Starrae <-- Active
the Cabal
Drake

Archmage1
2013-03-13, 07:27 PM
Deeply cut and bleeding from the injuries inflicted by the kobold, Starrae collapses, the crossbow dropping from her hands.

Attempt to stabilize(on a 10)[roll0]
She is at -1

8wGremlin
2013-03-13, 07:59 PM
Thorgrim hearing the combat dying down, decides to risk it all, and starts to climb fast, desperation grips him as has to get to Starrae and Prae!

Action:

Move action: Climb at 1/2 speed (DC 10) [roll0]

Move action: Climb at 1/2 speed (DC 10) [roll1]

NotScaryBats
2013-03-14, 01:07 AM
Thorgrim rapidly climbs up ten feet. Aidan casts Mage Armor on Yurric, who passes his Armlets to the human wizard.

The kobold does something.

Torgrim continues to climb, but his footing slips and the dwarf falls down the side of the tower roughly.

[roll0] fall damage.

The fall hurt him badly, but he is able to get up and dust himself off. Up top, the kobold does something.

What do the others do in this second round?

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-14, 03:31 PM
Yurrid sets down his satchel, then gestures and mutters over himself.
"Take the potion from my bag if you need it; I'm going up after them."

Actions:
Drop satchel (A move action, I assume; if it is a free action, Yurrid begins climbing after he casts) to be unencumbered.
Cast expeditious retreat. (standard action)

8wGremlin
2013-03-14, 05:07 PM
Thorgrim picks up the bag and slings it across his shoulders. let me give you a hand and helps Yurrid
by giving a quick boost up, and holds the rope still

if I can Aid Other: Climb (dc 10) [roll0] Yurrid gets a +2 circumstance bonus on his climb.
I'm not climbing, i'm helping him climb...

otherwise wait...

NotScaryBats
2013-03-14, 05:23 PM
Alright yurrid, let's get your climb check. What dc re you doing? Thorgrim is helping you up.

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-14, 09:54 PM
I looked, and a knotted rope with a wall to brace is DC 0. A rope ladder (as was specified) is by definition knotted. But it was DC 5 base earlier.In any case, I shall go for DC 5, whether that means accelerated climbing or not, to minimize the risk of falling to my death.
Climb: [roll0] as a move action
Climb: [roll1] as a move action (I'd cast if I had a hand free)
If this reaches the top, Yurrid remains on the rope near the edge (I'd argue it a 5-ft step to climb up, if one is actually within 5ft of the target area, but I'd argue that mostly in my bias as a player trying to squeeze out an advantage, more than for believing it to work) in order to use a move action to detect any creatures at the top before making his presence known, if there is not indication it is yet.

Yurrid advises his comrades to ready themselves to prevent the kobold from taking any actions, then ascends the rope.

8wGremlin
2013-03-15, 12:59 AM
I looked, and a knotted rope with a wall to brace is DC 0. A rope ladder (as was specified) is by definition knotted. But it was DC 5 base earlier.In any case, I shall go for DC 5, whether that means accelerated climbing or not, to minimize the risk of falling to my death.
Climb: [roll0] as a move action
Climb: [roll1] as a move action (I'd cast if I had a hand free)
If this reaches the top, Yurrid remains on the rope near the edge (I'd argue it a 5-ft step to climb up, if one is actually within 5ft of the target area, but I'd argue that mostly in my bias as a player trying to squeeze out an advantage, more than for believing it to work) in order to use a move action to detect any creatures at the top before making his presence known, if there is not indication it is yet.

Yurrid advises his comrades to ready themselves to prevent the kobold from taking any actions, then ascends the rope.

With my +2 on the first roll, Yurrid makes it!
so 5' > 10' first move, > 15' second. only another 3 rolls to go!

NotScaryBats
2013-03-15, 02:32 PM
With the aid of the Expedious Retreat spell, Yurrid makes amazing headway in no time at all, getting fully halfway up the ladder. Unfortunately, the kobold up top has been working on the ladder for awhile now, and it slowly comes off its tethers.

Yurrid thinks quickly: he can grab for the rough stone wall of the tower or let himself fall the 15 feet back to the ground.

You can make a dc 15 climb check to climb the rough stone wall with handholds and footholds, not losing any progress if you succeed. Or, you can take the fall and think of something else.

The kobold has spent two rounds undoing the ladder.

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-15, 02:48 PM
Yurrid attempts to grab onto the wall, then set his feet onto the stone and sense through it.
Yurrid attempts to hold on to the wall (Not an action, as it isn't moving yet). Climb:
He then uses his earth sense feat, whether or not he has fallen, as long as he is conscious. (move action) (we established that structures in contact with the ground are considered the ground)
EDIT: If he senses the kobold is alone (to the degree that he can sense with his feat), he intends to risk the climb going up (Climb: [roll]1d20)
If he senses anyone else up there, he attempts to climb down and regroup with the others (Might as well use that same roll)

NotScaryBats
2013-03-15, 04:04 PM
Yurrid grabs onto the cold, rough stone of the wall with his calloused hands. For a moment, his contact with the stone sends him all the information he needs through arcane vibrations through the solid material.

Atop the stone tower is one kobold, standing, and two, laying down. Starrae is up there, laying down, and so is Prae.

The dwarf's momentum and that of the falling ladder catch up to him, and he loses his grip and falls back to the ground.

[roll0] fall damage

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-15, 05:07 PM
Yurrid lands hard on his legs, with little to cushion his fall.
The curses he begins spouting off in dwarven are unintelligible through his clenched teeth, though he moves yet swiftly under the effect of his spell to steady himself against the tower, next to the door.
Move action to move. Free action to curse through clenched teeth. (staggered, so no further actions). Next round he might ask for a healing potion, drink it, inform the party of the situation atop the tower, and sense what's on the other side of the door. I may not be able to post for a day or so, so others are free to direct him to do any of the things listed.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-15, 05:34 PM
Extending his senses through the door, the dwarf is perhaps a bit surprised to feel nothing moving in a large, wide room. His 20 feet senses can't reach the far side of the room, but there is nothing but empty flagstones that he can feel.

Failed Phantasm
2013-03-15, 09:08 PM
Aidan rushed over to Yurrid after the dwarf fell from the tower, and carefully extracted the healing potion he'd been given from his bedroll. "That was a nasty fall," he said with a look of concern. It was meaningless, but he had no idea what else to say. Starrae was trapped up on the tower, and Aidan had no way of knowing whether she was alive or dead. He handed the potion over to the dwarf without saying anything more, and then moved over to the tower to sit down, leaning back on the cold stone. He ran a hand through his hair and took a deep breath. 'Stay calm, Aidan,' he told himself, 'There's got to be something we can think of to fix this mess we're in.'

As he thought, he sorted through his feelings. One day after leaving the Spire - just one day - and already they had lost a member of their Cabal. Perhaps permanently. Starrae had been overconfident, perhaps even reckless - 'Not a mistake we can afford to make.' - but without knowing what exactly she was thinking, he knew it wasn't right of him to cast blame. They all had a responsibility to each other, and their best efforts hadn't been enough. Thorgrim's familiar had not, for whatever reason, returned from the top of the tower. Thorgrim himself and Yurrid were both nursing injuries from their falls. They didn't have many options left.

'As much as I hate leaving Starrae behind, we need to rest and regroup,' he decided, 'but it's almost a two-and-a-half hour trek back to the tomb.' He glanced over in the direction of the magically locked door. 'Can we risk staying here?'

8wGremlin
2013-03-15, 09:33 PM
Thorgrim gets up and dusts himself off, he looks tired and shaken." I don't know what to do, they never taught us how to deal with this..." glancing at the tower, a single tear glistens in the moon light. "such a simple task, climb a rope, I was over confident, I thought my strength and toughness would see me through" "but to day I am a shadow, the loss I feel, the helplessness..." He looks to Aidan and Yurrid, His eyes the colour of the approaching storm. "We need to end this, we need to rescue Grace and return her to her family, we need to get Starrae back, and Prae too" his eyes flash "but we need to rest, and hold up." he looks pointedly at Aidan "Can you get us through that door? if you can then perhaps we should stay there, I can trap one entrance enough to deter them getting in, and by the look of things they can't open the door."

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-15, 09:37 PM
Yurrid drinks the potion carefully, knowing how vital each drop may be to the continued survival of himself and the rest of the party.
I believe it was [roll0] points of damage healed, standard action to imbibe
"Ah feel much better nae." Yurrid says calmly, still having the wind knocked out of him by the fall (though somehow he found the breath to swear with)
"But they *gasp* Starrae and Prae *gasp* are knocked out. And 2 more of the kobolds with them. Friends of the ropecutter I'd guess."

NotScaryBats
2013-03-15, 09:55 PM
Yes, 6 points healed, and more than enough to bring you back up to your feet.

Failed Phantasm
2013-03-17, 07:05 PM
Aidan looked back at Yurrid. 'Knocked out? She's not dead, then.' He quickly stood up and brushed the dust from his pants and then said to the dwarves, "Without that rope ladder, I don't think there's anything else we can do tonight. Right now, we need shelter, so I'm going to try opening the magically-locked door." He began to whisper in Celestial, very softly at first but slowly and persistently rising in volume. With every word he spoke, a faint silvery light began to gather around him, shining brighter and brighter. With a final utterance that was almost a shout, Aidan was surrounded by a brilliant, coruscating silver radiance that shone like moonlight.

"Stay alert," he warned them. "I'm not very fond of showy displays. Someone's bound to have noticed that." Aidan strode over to the door and whispered under his breath, "I hope this works..." Raising his index finger, some of the cloudy nimbus of light surrounding him coalesced into a silver ray that shot towards the door.

--------
Actions taken:

Cast Light of Lunia.
After 1 turn, expend 1 use to make a ranged touch attack against the arcane locked door. Illumination extends to 15 feet, with dim light for an additional 15 feet.
See OOC for attack and damage rolls.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-17, 09:21 PM
As the opalescent radiance strikes the sealed door, you all feel the magical discharge like a vibration in your chest. Though not the most powerful of magic, Arcane Locks are currently beyond you to create, and you may appreciate the complexity of the spell.

The door slides open on magical hinges, making not a sound. Though releasing half of his power has dimmed the radiance Aidan is shedding, it has not entirely diminished it, and the room is revealed in magical light.

The stone chamber beyond the entrance measures at least ten paces square. Peeling paint and broken scrollwork suggest that it was once decorated with some care, but now only dust remains. Three massive stone doors—one each to the left and right, and one directly across from the entrance—lead deeper into the tor.

The door to the south is carved with a large treasure chest spilling over with gold and gems.

The door to the east is carved with a skull over a book.

The door to the north is carved with man in supplication before a winged skull and a throne.

After pacing the periphery and extending his earth sense to its limit, Yurrid realizes three things:

The door to the south opens into a large room. Quite irregular footsteps can be felt inside. The footsteps maybe belong to tiny quadrapeds, but there are so many of them moving into and out of your perception, you cannot get any more accurate than that.

The door to the north opens into a large room that appears empty.

The door to the east leads down a narrow, deserted hallway.

8wGremlin
2013-03-18, 02:33 PM
"Wait, check the ground for tracks, I want to know if any of the kobold bastards have been here" Thorgrim checks around for tracks. Thorgrim pays particular attention to the iconography on the doors; he pauses and ponders at each one, "which door? Or should we stay here in this room? I'm not keen on having so many enterances. It makes it hard to defend"

Check to tracks, Survival: [roll0]

Tries to remember if the images on the doors have any religious, arcane or historic relevance
Know(religion) [roll1]
Know(arcane) [roll2]
Know(history) [roll3]

NotScaryBats
2013-03-18, 07:40 PM
From the looks of it, nothing has entered this room in decades. You cannot recall any specific mention of any of the three symbols on the doors, but there have been so many Mage Kings that have risen and fallen over the years, it is entirely possible their coats of arms have been forgotten.

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-18, 08:22 PM
Yurrid relays the contents of the other rooms as he detects them to the party.
"I'd say we should go east to the hallway. Always been fond of corridors."

8wGremlin
2013-03-18, 08:46 PM
"Agreed East through the most appropriate door I feel. But keep your eyes and ears open, we're looking for Starrae, Grace and Prae" advances to the door, checks around the door just to make sure nothing easily seen will stab him and then with a purposeful move he opens the door.

Action:

Search for traps on the door: traps up to DC 20 [roll0]
Listen:[roll1]
Spot:[roll2]

NotScaryBats
2013-03-18, 09:11 PM
You feel confident there are no traps on the eastern door -- the one marked with a skull and book. If you try the door, you find it unlocked and ready to open.

8wGremlin
2013-03-18, 09:36 PM
Thorgrim opens he door,and peers in...

Action

Open door
Peer in with darkvision 70'

NotScaryBats
2013-03-19, 11:16 PM
The hallway is long, unlit, and ten feet wide. Your 70 feet Darkvision does not manage to reach the end of the hallway, but it does reveal the intricate carvings and inscriptions which adorn the walls of the hallway.

They are written in an old tongue that you don't recognize -- perhaps a dialect of Elvish? -- and would require a DC 15 Decipher Script check to decipher.

Of course, you can ignore them and proceed down the long, long, hallway.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-20, 01:59 AM
Aidan does his best to work with what he has -- he knows Sylvan and recognizes a few of the symbols engraved in the walls.

Combined with the pictures, the first 70 feet of the hallway appear to depict the rise of a Mage King with power over the Nine Hells.

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-20, 06:12 PM
Yurrid pulls out his spellbook, flips it to one of the back pages, and begins a soft chant while gesturing towards the various symbols.

"We can take these to someone who understands them later. Let us explore further."

Casting amanuesis, it copies up to 2500 words over 10 minutes, no concentration needed (although I may not want to leave my spellbook behind).
EDIT: Technically, it works on an object within 25 feet. I submit that A) The wall's nearest section is within 25 feet, thus the wall is an object within the range and/or B) If we move while the duration continues, the individual words on the wall will all be within range, thus the spell should be allowed to get all of them. Even if it doesn't, as a first level wizard who only likely used the spell for note taking, Yurrid is perfectly likely to have taken the action anyway, believing it would. It would simply be a (largely) wasted action.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-21, 02:17 AM
Yurrid successfully casts his spell, and the process of transcription begins. As the group moves further down the hall, Aidan loses the translation. Between horned men and women, highly stylized flames, and groups of spiders, rats and vermin, the story meanders and the runes don't make much sense to you.

At the end of the hallway, the final few images involve circles surrounding bat-winged humanoids and a human in a robe standing over them all.

Aside from the walls, this hallway ends in a small chamber whose wooden door lies on the floor. The smell of dust pervades the air, and the sound of muted thunder can be heard -- it seems the storm has finally begun. Numerous body-shaped lumps are visible through the doorway, each wrapped carefully in layers of grey thread like woven mummies. Another door is visible on the other side of the small room, but this one is closed.

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-21, 03:20 AM
Yurrid readies his quarterstaff and carefully approaches the doorway, seeing if he can sense the nature of these grey lumps without entering the room.
He also looks up and into the room, knowing that he can sense the ground well enough that he need not focus his sight on it. Spot: [roll0]

NotScaryBats
2013-03-21, 06:07 PM
Anyone else making spot checks? What is the marching order? The hall cab hold two abreast.

8wGremlin
2013-03-21, 06:52 PM
Thorgrim looks around nervously, "spiders?" he whispers?
He readies his quaterstaff, and prepares to cast a spell

Actions

Spot: [roll0]
ready action: to cast Shillelagh if I see an "enemy"
I will be next to Yurrid, with Aiden behind us?

Failed Phantasm
2013-03-21, 07:28 PM
Aidan gently ran his fingers over the old stonework, feeling the grooves of the inscriptions. He immediately recognized the alphabet, but the letters combined to make combinations of sounds that didn't exist in Sylvan, and the grammar was utterly bizarre. 'Obviously not Sylvan, then,' he concluded, 'but maybe an old kind - or peculiar dialect - of Elven.' The silvery light cast by his magic made it seem as if the inscriptions were dancing along the walls. He could only understand certain parts of the text but only then because the words were shared, either because the Elves borrowed the words from the fey, or vice versa. Mages. Kings. Power. Fire. Vermin. The Hells. He was not sure that he could trust his own loose translation, so he said nothing about it to the others.

As he followed the dwarves down the long hallway, they stopped just short of the doorway that led into a new chamber. Even in the dim light, Aidan could make out the shapes of the webs and the cocooned lumps that lay all over the floor. "Spiders," Aidan sighed, "just what we needed." He strained his eyes to see further, in case there were any dangers still scurrying about in the darkness.

---
Actions taken:

Make a Spot check: [roll0]

NotScaryBats
2013-03-22, 11:40 PM
As the Cabal stands in the doorway to the strange, web-wrapped room, searching for a hidden spider swarm, Aidan notices movement in the ten feet or so above the other door. There is webbing strung about the rafters like streamers for some Drow birthday party, and he has difficulty seeing exactly what it is, but some dark shape, about five feet wide moves, and eight glowing red eyes snap open simultaneously.

A sinister chittering comes from the darkness along with a sticky, pale gray net!

This is the surprise round, so only Aidan gets to go.
Initiative:
Throgrim 23
Yurrid 11
??? 7
Aidan 6 <--- ACTIVE

Web thrown as net at Yurrid
[roll0] vs Touch AC
on hit, the target is
entangled. An entangled creature takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls
and a –4 penalty on Dexterity, can move at only half speed, and
cannot charge or run. If you control the trailing rope by succeeding
on an opposed Strength check while holding it, the entangled
creature can move only within the limits that the rope allows. If the
entangled creature attempts to cast a spell, it must make a DC 15
Concentration check or be unable to cast the spell.
An entangled creature can escape with a DC 20 Escape Artist
check (a full-round action). The net has 5 hit points and can be burst
with a DC 25 Strength check (also a full-round action).

The creature is about 20 feet away, on the wall opposite you, and about 10 feet up. It is in Dim illumination cast by Aidan's active spell.

Yurrid and Thorgrim may, of course, post their actions, and they will be resolved after Aidan's.

8wGremlin
2013-03-24, 01:56 PM
BY THE SEVEN HALLS SPIDERS!, why didn't anyone tell me! Thorgrim quickly drops in to a combat stance and finishes the words of power, gesturing over his staff. The staff seems to writhe under his grasps as tiny vines and leaves coil round the staff, and a faint green glow shimmers in your arcane senses.

Action:

Casts Shillelagh (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shillelagh.htm) (CL=2 lasts for 2 minutes, +1 to hit, and 2d6 damage)

Failed Phantasm
2013-03-26, 11:06 PM
"Next time we rest before we go poking around derelict old buildings!" Aidan yelled, half-exasperated and half-furious. Yurrid had been caught in the monstrous spider's web, and Thorgrim probably hadn't recovered entirely from his fall. They were already off to a very bad start. Aidan had no spells left that would help them fight the arachnid off, but his light spell would not last forever. He had to discharge the spell now, even if it meant he wouldn't be able to see afterwards unless he used one of his valuable sunrods.

"'I'm going to use the last charge of my spell," he announced to the dwarves. "You'll have to fight this thing in the darkness." Aidan raised his finger and fired a silvery ray at the spider, and the cloudy nimbus of light surrounding him diminished slowly until it faded into total darkness.

-----
Actions taken:

Expend one charge of Light of Lunia to make a ranged touch attack against the spider.
Attack: [roll0]
(Critical confirmation, if necessary: [roll1])
Damage: [roll2]

NotScaryBats
2013-03-27, 01:00 AM
The agile spider manages to dodge the deadly beam of light Aidan fires at it. As the light explodes against the wall, the creature is fully illuminated -- if only for a second. You see an enormous black and red spider, five feet wide, and with huge, dripping chelicerae. Eight red eyes glare balefully at you with intent. Tiny spikes and barbs on its legs and abdomen speak to its extraplanar nature.

Aidan
You succeed on a Knowledge (Nature) check and realize that this is not a normal Monstrous Spider, but is indeed a Fiendish Monstrous Spider.

Thorgrim casts Shillelagh on his quarterstaff, imbuing the weapon with temporary magic. Yurrid struggles against his webs. Then, the spider charges forth to deal with that prey which is not entangled. It crawls with remarkable alacrity along the rafters and lands in front of Thorgrim, biting at the dwarf with venom-soaked fangs.

move in front of Thorgrim
bite [roll0] on hit [roll1] plus poison

NotScaryBats
2013-03-27, 01:02 AM
The spider's fangs sink into the dwarf's shoulder, and inject him with poison.

Take 1 dmg (2-1DR) and make a DC 12 Fort save or take [roll0] str damage

8wGremlin
2013-03-27, 02:35 AM
staggering Thorgrim raises his staff attempting to stave the foul spiders head in as the poison courses through this veins. Potion, Potion, for **** sake this thing is a ***** *** ***** **! He yells
slight panic in his eyes, as he seeks anything that could kill this monstrous thing in front of him

Actions:

Current status:
HP: 1 (I don't have DR)

Actions on my turn
Save vs Poison: [roll0] vs DC 12
Attack: [roll1] (-1 if failed save)
Confirmed Crit if needed: [roll2] (-1 if failed save)
Damage: [roll3]

Take 5' step back

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-27, 02:39 AM
"Happen to like the darkness quite well, just this sticky mass of-," Yurrid grumbles, before seeing the spider land next to him, attacking Thorgrim.
Seeing the more pressing matter at hand, Yurrid moves in between it and Thorgrim and begins hitting it with his quaterstaff.
Attack [roll0], on hit [roll1]

NotScaryBats
2013-03-27, 02:58 AM
Thorgrim gives as good as he gets, bringing his enchanted quarterstaff down on the monstrous, fiendish arachnid with such might that the beast is instantly slain. Chunks of exoskeleton and spurts of ichor rain down in a five foot radius.

The creature gives one last chitter, then collapses.

It takes the group a few minutes to clear the sticky, resilient webbing from Yurrid, and the Cabal discovers the remains of more than a few rats and dessicated humanoids in the room. Amongst it all is a leather bag. Worn with age, the bag creaks open and reveals an iridescent black pearl and 75 gold pieces.

The door to the next room is unlocked -- do you go through, make any preparations or what?

8wGremlin
2013-03-27, 03:06 AM
Screw that, I'm for resting and does anyone mind If I chug a potion, or does...
Thorgrims eyes go a bit hazy or does Starrae have it? he continues I think no self respecting kobolds gonna come in here, but i can set up a mean trap by one of the doors if ye like but don't go near it... what do ya say...

NotScaryBats
2013-03-27, 03:34 PM
Is the Cabal resting in the spider's room with the soft cushions made of silk and the subtle stink of dessicated bodies, or are they returning to the first stone room? Are they camping in the hall between them?

What is your watch routine, how long are you resting, and where is Thorgrim placing his trap?

NotScaryBats
2013-03-28, 01:29 AM
As the Cabal is discussing their arrangements, Thorgrim feels a weary sort of jubilation or relief through his empathic bond -- Prae just woke up.

8wGremlin
2013-03-28, 02:35 PM
She's alive! Prae is alive, although I don't feel that she is scared, just relieved... the relief floods from him. In the light of the sun rod, you're sure you can see tears glistening in the glow...
We have to get her, I'll go to the tomb door and get her, then set the trap, when we're all in.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-28, 03:13 PM
The door beyond the spider's room opens, and Starrae carefully enters. She is carefully carrying Prae in her arms, with her pack on her back. The Tiefling looks wounded.

Starrae sees the large corpse of the fiendish spider dead in the middle of the room, and she can see the glow of the sun rod down the hallway.

Archmage1
2013-03-28, 04:37 PM
A dead fiendish spider? Hopefully, the work of the Cabal, not some other group. And the sunrod... perhaps they are just over there. I hope so, since I am not going to survive another fight.

Carefully skirting the corpse of the spider, Starrae slowly approaches the glow of the sunrod, doing her best to keep out of sight along the way, as it may not be the cabal.
[roll0] hide
[roll1] move silently

NotScaryBats
2013-03-29, 05:01 AM
As Starrae stealthily makes her way around the spider remains to investigate the people in the Sunrod's glow, she steps on a dead rat, crunching it loudly beneath her boot. Still, the wizards do not notice her. She moves a bit closer and Prae perks up, feeling her master is close.

The Tressym leaps out from Starrae's arms and runs giddily to Thorgrim. It is now clear that Starrae is at the mouth of the hallway and the rest of the Cabal is setting up camp. Luckily, no trap has been set up yet.

Archmage1
2013-03-29, 11:50 AM
As she sees the Cabal, Starrae feels a massive weight leave her. She managed to get away from the kobolds, get Grace, save Prae, and get out alive. What more could she have asked for?

"Grace? Come on, these are my friends. You should be safe with them."

Starrae comes fully into the light, staggering a bit, and looking rather the worse for wear.
"Thank you for being here. I am not sure how much longer I could have kept on going. That... That was not pleasant."

As she speaks, she approaches the group, and slumps to the ground near one of the walls.

8wGremlin
2013-03-30, 05:01 PM
Thorgrim eyes Starrae suspiciously "So what happened... tell us in your own words" he opens his pack, and passes food & drink to Grace "Here Grace. I've seen your Mother and Father nearby and when the storm has passed I'll take you too them. Why not tell us what happened to you as well"

Actions:

Sense Motive on Starrae [roll0]
Sense Motive on Grace[roll1]

Archmage1
2013-03-30, 05:27 PM
Those were some amazing rolls.
On the bright side, they were not needed...

Starrae speaks confidently, for one who is lying on the ground, looking like she has been through quite the ordeal.

"After I was captured, I woke up in a bed, with my items removed, and my hands tied behind me, with a dragonwrought kobold straddling me. She was tending to my wounds. Once she noticed that I was awake, she seemed quite worried, but I was able to reassure her that I was not a threat, and even convinced her to trust me enough to ask me for help in eliminating their leader. Seeing my chance, I agreed. A few minutes later, I changed into attire more appropriate to convincing the leader, a spellscale as I would later find out, that I was no thread. So I was lead to the leaders room. There, there was a skeleton, and the spellscale, sleeping. However, I was unable to reach him before he woke up, and he ordered his skeleton to try and kill me. I ran behind a table, and charmed him. I managed to convince him to not kill me, and leave the tribe, going to the spire, as he wanted to be a wizard. He also agreed to free Grace from the enchantment she was under. The second in command, pleased with my performance, gave me this necklace, and led her tribe back to their homes, instead of this tower. After they left, I was able to find Prae, and you."

NotScaryBats
2013-03-30, 06:02 PM
Grace accepts the food dumbly and begins to nibble it. The poor girl is dressed in a dirty traveler's outfit, with worn leather boots, long socks, a thick skirt, a tunic and a jacket. She nods along with Starrae's story, and says to Thorgrim, "Starrae said she'd take me to someone who would lead me home. Is that you, Mister?"

When you ask her to tell you what happened to her, she thinks for a moment. "I can't remember anything. I think I was asleep the whole time...?"

Archmage1
2013-03-31, 08:39 PM
Starrae simply looks to Thorgrim, wondering what he was going to say, as she pulls out a ration and starts nibbling on it.

Stannum (IV)
2013-03-31, 08:58 PM
Yurrid listens to the earth, oblivious to what is happening with the rest of the party as he checks the previous areas to see (so to speak), among other things, if those quadrupeds sleep.

Failed Phantasm
2013-04-01, 02:06 AM
Aidan busied himself with setting up camp so that he wouldn't have to speak to Starrae. He was happy that she was alive and had come back, but going off on her own had been recklessly dangerous - and Thorgrim and Yurrid had been hurt trying to climb the tower to rescue her, to say nothing of the injury Thorgrim sustained fighting that spider. He was exhausted, in more ways than one, by the day's events and sleep was all Aidan wanted to concern himself with at that moment. He'd sort out his feelings in the morning.

He unfurled his bedroll and lay it out beneath one of the less ominous-looking stretches of text that ran along the wall of the hallway, and slung his pack down next to it. He rubbed his eyes and tried to think about the next day. There would be no way of telling when morning came - Aidan couldn't even tell what time it was now without being able to see the sky - and the storm might still be raging strong when they were all awake tomorrow. 'Even so,' he thought as he glanced down the hallway back towards the spider's lair, 'I don't really like the idea of exploring this place any further. I just want to reunite Grace with her family and then get on our way to Argent.' He breathed a heavy sigh and began to murmur, in Celestial, the words to one of the last spells he had ready for the day.

As he spoke the last few words, Aidan felt a distinct tingling in the back of his head. Though he was a short distance away from where Grace, Thorgrim, and Starrae were sitting and talking, he was still within the light of the sunrod. "I'm going to sleep now," he called to the others, "and my spell will wake me when Thorgrim's sunrod burns out. I'll wake one of the dwarves after that, so one of you can take watch." He flopped face-down on his bedroll, finding the floor a bit uncomfortable, and closed his eyes. Tomorrow was probably going to be another long day.

-----
Actions taken:

Cast Vigilant Slumber with a termination condition of "when Thorgrim's sunrod burns out".

8wGremlin
2013-04-01, 03:22 AM
Aye Lass, I will take you to your parents, but in the morning, there is a storm outside, and they are well protected. Prae here could do with a cuddle and some affection, she's been through a raw deal, much like yourself, are you wounded, did they hurt you in anyway?
Thorgrim becomes quite matronly, which seems odd for such a brash dwarf, he looks over Grace

<<PRAE I'VE MISSED YOU, ARE YOU ALL RIGHT, YOU MUST HAVE BEEN THROUGH HELL, I'M HERE IF YOU WANT TO TALK, PERHAPS CUDDLING WITH GRACE MIGHT DO HER SOME GOOD, WHAT DO YOU THINK>>

<<I'LL DO THAT BUT CAN'T TELL YOU MUCH WAS UNCONSCIOUS MOST OF THE TIME, IF I REMEMBER ANYTHING I'M SURE I'LL TELL YOU>>

Prae slinks between Thorgrim's legs before padding on and flumping on Graces legs. Prae needs the floor, before settling down perhaps to sleep

Now before you all sleep, be careful, I'll trap the other end of the corridor, be warned, it is a lethal trap, and it will kill you if you set foot on it. it will last all the night, so I'll set it by the door that Starrae came through, and I'll block the door as well, just so no one comes through. We can always leave the way we came. Now to sleep

Heal check Grace if allowed [roll0]

Block the door as best I can, and then cast create trap (Scything Blade Trap) so that if anyone enters it goes off, note it is automatic reset!

Scything Blade Trap
CR 1; mechanical; location trigger; automatic reset; Atk +8 melee (1d8/×3); Search DC 21; Disable Device DC 20.

Then Sleep

Archmage1
2013-04-01, 06:35 AM
Seeing the others settling down to rest, and that Thorgrim was done questioning her, and that Grace was all right, Starrae settles down to sleep after her ordeal, and a hummingbird occasionally peeks out from her hood.

Stannum (IV)
2013-04-01, 11:07 AM
Yurrid arrives back just in time to avoid the door being blocked and the trap being set. Despite interesting things having happened, everyone (including him) seems tired, so he goes to sleep.

NotScaryBats
2013-04-02, 02:50 AM
The group is able to rest the night through without incident. Aidan's spell goes off without a hitch, and after everyone's had their turn at watch, the Cabal is able to prepare their spells for the day over a quick breakfast of trail rations. The magical trap has not caught anything, and a quick tremorsense of the perimeter reveals that the quadrapeds in the southern wing are early risers -- there is plenty of activity down there.

The north wing is still and silent, and Starrae said the east was cleared out of everything useful.

Grace seems a bit more chipper this morning, and after breakfast and your quiet time reading books and working preparatory incantations, she says, "so, what's the plan, then? It doesn't really sound too stormy outside. And indeed it doesn't. Though the sound of falling rain can be heard, no thunder rumbles through the air.

Archmage1
2013-04-02, 06:55 AM
As she gets ready in the morning for another day on the road, Starrae tries not to scratch the insect bites, or to dwell too much on the lack of a bath, or the ability to put on clean clothing. Such things are, after all, the hallmark of the traveler.
Seeing that Grace is apparently in a bit better state this morning, Starrae smiles, before standing, and stretching.
"I am glad that you are a bit more yourself this morning. I was worried that you would never recover after what was done to you. As for plans, well, I would rather not go anywhere in the rain, and there is this door to explore, after all. Perhaps we could see what is there instead?"

NotScaryBats
2013-04-02, 01:00 PM
Grace looks confused. "Do-Done to me? What do you mean?"

Archmage1
2013-04-02, 06:42 PM
"You don't remember, do you? Probably for the best. You were enchanted, and, well, no more needs be said."

After a few moments, Starrae continues, in a somewhat subdued voice.

"When we have a fire, I will make a tansy tincture for you, which should deal with any consequences of your stay."

NotScaryBats
2013-04-02, 08:15 PM
Grace seems Confused, the innocent girl apparently unsure what you are implying. Still, she mods and thanks you.

Where is the Cabal headed now?

8wGremlin
2013-04-02, 08:36 PM
"I think we should return Grace to her parents. Taking a girl further in to a tomb does not seem like a clever thing to do." Thorgrim's tone seems forceful. "We can return after, the tomb will still be here, the rats aren't going anywhere, and we can prepare for them." he looks at each of his Cohort in turn "If you don't want to brave the rain, then I'll take her myself and make sure she gets back to her rightful place before returning" he turns to Grace looking in to her eyes, "if thats alright with you Miss"

Archmage1
2013-04-02, 08:41 PM
As Thorgrim expresses his opinion, Starrae looks down on him, and sighs.

"I suppose you are probably right, although walking in the rain is really not a lot of fun. But what rats?"

8wGremlin
2013-04-02, 08:44 PM
"Ah sorry Star" Thorgrim points to the door to the Rat's room. "We think there is a swarm of rats or something like it in that room. We'd need some serious damage to drive them off if they wanted to attack. And Id hate to rescue Grace to see her have to face that."

Archmage1
2013-04-02, 08:50 PM
"I never really liked rats much, really. The spells never seemed to be able to keep them out of the dining room, and they always seemed to be there, for some reason. Still, a swarm could be quite dangerous. I think fire would work though, if we can find enough stuff to burn, anyway. I was thinking of having Grace wait here, if we went in, not taking her with us. Arkesh could keep an eye on her for me. We could explore the kobold lair, and see if they left anything flammable for us to use."

Stannum (IV)
2013-04-02, 11:45 PM
"Well, spider silk and that wooden door are flammable, but most of the silk's round the corpses, and it does not seem right to use them in such a way," Yurrid pipes in.
"We should give them a proper funera' as well. Could nigh ha' been us in there. Least burn em outside. Could well take enough time that Grace could be ta'en back to her parents."

Archmage1
2013-04-03, 06:19 AM
"True enough, but it is probably best if I go with Grace, for the time being, which would leave you alone here, which is probably not a good idea. Perhaps we should all go to her parents, and then come back here."

Starrae will use prestidigitation to heat water in a cup, making a tansy tea for Grace(fairly high concentration, to work as an abortifacient). Once she is done, she will hand it to Grace

"Here, you should probably drink this. It will help prevent some long term problems, but it will induce your cycle. I trust you are prepared?"

NotScaryBats
2013-04-03, 03:00 PM
"I... Okay, I trust you," Grace says, looking a bit embarrassed to be discussing her cycle in front of the men.

Before too much longer, the Cabal and their charge leave the tor and step out into the rain. Taking some brief precautions against the wet weather, you all are able to make the two hour journey to the Tomb of Cyrus in relative comfort.

As you approach the tomb, Grace's mother, Tasha, rushes out and hugs Grace, ushering her into the protective warmth and light of the tomb.

You are all waiting in the rain, do you enter the tomb and talk to Tasha and see how the family is doing, or are you heading immediately back to the tor? Do you do something else?

Archmage1
2013-04-03, 04:23 PM
I was picturing that as more of a private, side conversation than anything else.
Probably should have said that

Starrae will follow them in, hoping that the rain will at least slow down a bit while she is inside, drying off.

8wGremlin
2013-04-03, 04:43 PM
"Best get in out of the rain, and re assess our objectives"

Thorgrim walks in to the Tomb of Cyrus, he nods to the occupants.

"Your daughter safe and sound. Would you mind if we rest with you for a while and dry ourselves and take stock of our injuries and equipment?" He ask

"Perhaps we should first get ourselves dry" and with that he casts Prestidigitation, and starts to dry the cloths of all around him.

He sits with a heavy thump, and rubs his shoulder as the steam raises from his cloths. His cloak looks ripped and blood stained, his eyes are grey, and his skin pale. I could do with some more rest, and with that, he leans back and closes his eyes.

Actions:

Cast prestidigitation, to warm clothes and dry equipment.
then rest some more, and listen to the others.

Stannum (IV)
2013-04-03, 06:55 PM
"Interesting."

Yurrid enters the tomb and begins examining the construction of the tomb, hoping to learn a bit more than what he was told previously.

Automatic dwarven search on any peculiar stonework: [roll0]
Also, detect magic. Examining anything interesting. No need for the result of this to be reported unless there is something more unusual than the effect of the already noted ward that protects the tomb. Naturally, he would not disturb the contents of the tomb, nor would he aim the detection of magic towards the interred body itself, respecting the instructions not to grudge him that earth. But this would be a fascinating place twice over for a stonemason/wizard to examine.

NotScaryBats
2013-04-04, 10:41 PM
The majority of the Cabal enters the Tomb of Cyrus. Starrae finds that she cannot cross the threshold of the tomb; there is a line of silver inlaid in the floor, scribed with runes that she finds it impossible to cross.

The Tomb of Cyrus is a remarkable piece of magical architecture, with a basin full of running water, a warm, inviting atmosphere, and expertly crafted stonework. A continual light spell fills the place with gentle torchlight.

Grace is being fussed over by her mother on one side of the room, while her father continues to rest nearby. A great, locked stone door dominates one of the walls.

Unlike the other tomb, this one is not covered in ostentatious carvings of its owner's magnificence, but shows temperance in its decorations.

Failed Phantasm
2013-04-05, 12:44 AM
Aidan, wringing rainwater out of his clothes, gratefully entered the warm chamber. Ordinarily, Aidan loved the rain - he loved the pitter-patter of raindrops hitting the leaves of the Lakewood, and of running around and splashing about in puddles instead of staying inside, and how the air smelled so clean when the rain finally passed. This time was not so care-free or innocent, however. Returning here filled him with a deep sense of relief: Starrae was alive and back with the Cabal, Grace had been reunited with her parents, and they were all finally finished with that blasted tower. 'If I never see the inside of a dungeon again, it would be too soon,' he thought, recalling the anxiety of facing the fiendish spider and of fumbling helplessly around in the dark. He knew, however, that was hopelessly wishful thinking.

With a soft, wistful sigh, Aidan sat himself down and leaned back against one of the walls. 'What are we to do now?' He mulled over the thought in his mind. The headmaster's instructions still stood. Argent was a two-day journey from the tomb they were resting in, and the storm was relenting. Perhaps it would pass by late afternoon. Grace's father still did not seem well enough to travel, so it seemed likely they would be parting ways once the Cabal was ready to leave. Aidan closed his eyes and thought of home. There was no denying his homesickness - the Spire had never felt like home to him, and Lakeshire had always been half a continent away. 'But, if this last episode has taught me anything,' he mused, 'it's that these three crave adventure far more than I do.'

Archmage1
2013-04-05, 06:43 AM
I can't enter? But why? My ancestry, perhaps? And I was looking forwards to coming in, out of the rain as well...

As Starrae discovers that she can't enter, she tries experimentally prodding at the barrier with a finger, before she kneels down, and examines the runes, trying to figure out why.

[roll1] know: arcana
[roll0] know: planes

I suppose it could also prevent neutrals from entering, but outsiders probably makes more sense, possibly even demonic outsiders...

NotScaryBats
2013-04-06, 12:05 AM
Starrae
you feel it very likely that the enchantment here repels Outsiders. It didn't damage you or banish you, so it is most likely to be a casual 'you are not welcome here' and protection for those inside.

Tasha finishes fussing over Grace, and turns now to the rest of the Cabal. "I cannot thank you brave Journeymen enough for returning my family to me safely! But, you look injured -- allow me to tend your wounds for a while to speed your recovery?" The healer has her kit out and would take the majority of the remaining daylight to see to your injuries.

Tasha will double your hp recovery rate if you want her too, tending you and allowing everyone to recover 2 hp instead of 1 today, but it wll take 8 hours.

Archmage1
2013-04-06, 12:11 AM
Starrae, after her realization considers, for a moment, bringing down the protection so that she could enter, but swiftly dismisses the thought, as it would weaken the protections around the place. She simply sits down against the wall, feeling alone and dejected.

8wGremlin
2013-04-07, 02:45 PM
Thorgrim opens his eyes and looks at Grace's mother, "Thank you for the offer, I appreciate it."

He looks quizzically over to what Starrae is doing, "you ok Starrae?" He askes as he ponderously gets to his feet. You can see him concentrate and a small shield forms around Starrae, shielding her from the wind and the rain.

"It looks as if we will have to journey back to the tor, sooner than later.
Starrae will not get much rest whilst out there in the rain. And I for one don't want to leave that tor unexplored, so other creatures can claim it as a base of operations, and harass the food folk. Imagine what it would have been like if it hadn't been a randy goat of a spellscale."

He hefts up his pack, and slings it over his shoulder. Walking out of the tomb to stand next to the tall 'human'.

"I understand if you are reluctant to come, but I feel that it is our purpose in this journey, to travel the paths less travelled, and bring all the benefits of our training and the knowledge of the spire to those less fortunate than ourselves"

he looks around the assembled group, the rain splashing of the rain shield that wraps Starrae and him.

Archmage1
2013-04-07, 02:57 PM
As Thorgrim comes over to investigate, Starrae looks at him mournfully
"I... I can't come in. Does that mean that I am some sort of threat to you? But how? From what I can see, the ward blocks all those of extraplanar origin, but..."
At that moment, Thorgrim casts his shielding spell
"Thank you for your kindness, Thorgrim. I was never much good at such simple magics, sadly."

"We may as well go to the tor, since resting here is not going to be very enjoyable. Thank you for your kind offer, Tasha, but I think we will pass."

As for all the fun, well, you guys got a giant spider, and some doors.
Starrae got a dragonwrought, a skeleton, and a spellscale.

NotScaryBats
2013-04-08, 02:28 PM
The Cabal turns down Tasha's offer for now, feeling that with Starrae waiting outside getting sick and Aidan not needing the healing attention, it would be an unnecessary waste of time. The woman nods, understanding, and says, "Here, at least let me give you this for your efforts. My husband is a painter, and because of you, he will live to create more works like this."

She hands over two rolled up, weatherproofed canvases to Aidan.

After saying their goodbyes, the Cabal makes their way back to the tor. The going is difficult, as the rocky terrain collects large pools of water and the rain is coming down moderately hard. Still, after about two and a half hours, the four wet mages reach the tomb once again. The door is as you left it, and you enter to find the main antechamber undisturbed in your absence.

You could go to the south to the room with the treasure chest on the door and brave the scuttling quadrupeds (they are still there, moving around), go north to the apparently barren room with a winged skull on a throne, or go east, down the hallway.

Or, you could do something else.

Archmage1
2013-04-08, 04:56 PM
"Thank you for your kindness. Please, take care of Grace. I think she will be a bit fragile for a time. What she went through in there... no one should need to go through."

After a long, soggy, miserable walk, spent productively considering how awkward her inability to enter the safe areas will be, Starrae finally reaches the shelter, and looks to the others.
"I don't suppose that any of you have prestidigitation prepared, do you? I used mine earlier, and I think adventuring while dry is vastly preferable to adventuring while wet."

After she is dried, Starrae breathes a sigh of relief, folding up her cloak, and placing it into her pack, before continuing.
"I think we may want to explore the rooms the kobolds were occupying. We might find something there, and it should be safe enough."

8wGremlin
2013-04-09, 05:38 PM
As Thorgrim finishes drying off the group with his second prestidigitation of the day he turns to Starrae, "Alright Lass, You know the way better than us. But do you think we have given the kobolds enough time to get out? And do you think they would really leave anything valuable in there? Cus I think that our friend the spider may have stopped them in their tracks from going further."

He looks around at the others, "Back to the kobolds, or tackle the many legs? cus it might not be a swarm of rats, it might be a giant centipede!"

Actions

Cast Prestidigitation (2 used of 2) Dry cloths and equipment.
Put cloak in pack, unsling staff and hold it ready

Archmage1
2013-04-09, 05:43 PM
"Thank you, Thorgrim. That is much more pleasant. As for the kobolds, well, I would be very surprised if they had not left, given that they have had around 12 hours in which to do so. If they have not, I think that they won't harm us not anyway. As for leaving valuables, well, they might have, or they might not have, but either way, there is no risk to us to examine what is left behind. Besides, they may have left something flammable that we could use to light a fire. After that, we should probably see what else is around here. This tower was built by a powerful wizard, so there should be something left, so long as we can deal with any traps that he left."

Starrae starts heading towards the rooms where the kobolds were, intending to investigate them in more detail than she did before.

Failed Phantasm
2013-04-09, 10:38 PM
Aidan kicked as much of the mud from his boots as he could while Thorgrim's cantrip dried the group's clothes. 'Let's get this over with, then.' he thought, breathing a soft sigh tinged with a deep sense of resignation. He took a moment to check the canvases in his pack before loosening the loop of rope holding his quarterstaff on his pack and wielding it in his right hand. As he did so, he also listened to Starrae's assessment of the rooms of the tower she had already explored, and while he had no idea whether or not the kobolds had left, he doubted that they would have left anything of value behind if they had. 'Still, this is probably the safest option we have right now.'

He followed after Starrae back down the hallway, reading the strange glyphs on the wall one more time. "Did you ever get a chance to read these walls while we were here last night, Starrae?" he asked as they walked. "We're fairly sure these inscriptions are Elven, but I could only get a very rough translation based on words and concepts that are shared with Sylvan." He rubbed his chin thoughtfully before adding, "Something about a mage-king, the hells, and a lot of vermin, but I couldn't make much sense of it."

Stannum (IV)
2013-04-10, 12:06 AM
"Couldna' be a centipede, too much movement for a single creature. But it was irregular, and I cannae say much beyond that there were many of them and they were moving all over."
Yurrid, having clarified his senses, follows the rest of the party silently, cautious of any possible change since they left.

Actions: Use earth sense feat. Wield quarterstaff. Watch Aidan to make sure he doesn't stumble in the dark. Well, what I presume is the dark due to the lack of described windows.

Archmage1
2013-04-10, 06:24 AM
As the group gets ready to follow her, Starrae smiles, pleased that she is able to get her way, even as she heads into the corridor, intending on searching the areas that the kobolds had occupied to see if anything of use was left behind. As they walk, she discusses with Aidan.

"I did not really look at the walls in any detail last night, unfortunately. I should be able to read it when we go back through, so long as it is not in some obscure dialect or something. That tale actually makes sense, based on what the spellscale told me. Apparently this tower was raised by someone called Rex, who was a powerful summoner, apparently trained by the spire, although he turned away from their teachings, and chose to rule over some kobolds instead."

NotScaryBats
2013-04-11, 07:36 PM
The Cabal moves through the eastern door and down the long hallway carved with the story of the builder of this tomb. Starrae spends some time studying the carvings and reading the elven inscriptions.

Starrae:

Long, long ago (the dialect is at least 1000 years old (5 elven generations)), the archmage Ancev rose to power. Ancev was a powerful elven wizard, who specialized in the conjuration, necromancy, and transmutation schools.

Ancev raised the dead, compacted with fiends, and experimented with the creation of new life. He did not care to rule over men, (this is why you haven't heard of him in your history classes) and retreated to this small haven to study and work.

At the end of his life, Ancev transcended to another plane, leaving his body and the trappings of his life as a mortal behind with a simple quote,

"What is a man, when the soul is gone
naught but bone and dust
What is this land we call Prime Material
naught but ash and stone
What is it that crawls this land
naught but blood and flesh
Study ye the secrets I've left behind
Join us in the Great Beyond."

After she is finished, the group moves on, through the Fiendish Spider's web-wrapped room, and into a large, square room.

This is a stone chamber furnished only with cracked, moldering tables on which lie rusted implements of iron. Rain falls into the middle of the room from a shaft in the ceiling that must run all the way to the top of the tor. A drain in the center of the floor allows the water to escape, but old, dark stains suggest that it was used to carry away other fluids long ago.

The kobolds were as meticulous and fastidious as they are rumored to be, and did not leave many marks of their occupation behind.

There are the smashed remains of a small cage in one corner. Prae sends negative emotions directed at this room to her wizard through her empathic bond; she doesn't like it here.

To the east is a short hallway.

Going down the short hallway, you see a large, impressive door in front of you and a small, wooden door to the south. The one door is ornate in the extreme, carved intricately with a skull over an open book. Beasts, devils and demons cavort around the book in various states of infernal revelry. The door opens in the middle, grandly sliding inward on greased hinges.

The room to the south is fairly unimpressive -- perhaps it used to be a storage room or something. It now contains nothing but clean, bare stone in a 15 x 30 foot room.

Are you going to explore the ornate door, backtrack, or discuss your findings thus far? Something else?

Archmage1
2013-04-11, 07:47 PM
A message from a long dead mage. Wonder if his transcendence was all he thought it would be. Probably not, but still, his power must have been impressive.

As Starrae finishes reading the runes, her fingers cease traceing the runes as she reads them, she turns to the others, and begins relaying what she read.
"The runes speak of a long dead archmage, Ancev, an elven specalist in conjuration, necromancy, and transmutation. He was generally a nasty fellow, experimenting with life, dealing with fiends, and raising the dead. The runes claim that he did not die, but instead, transcended, leaving his body behind. Seems rather like death to me, but still. There was also either a message, or a riddle. It would seem that this was his tower. Perhaps we will be able to learn more later on."

She takes a breath, as that was rather a lot of talking for her.
"The message is somewhat complicated, but we might be able to decipher it, and learn something useful out of it."
She then repeats the riddle
"What is a man, when the soul is gone
naught but bone and dust
What is this land we call Prime Material
naught but ash and stone
What is it that crawls this land
naught but blood and flesh
Study ye the secrets I've left behind
Join us in the Great Beyond."

Archmage1
2013-04-11, 07:55 PM
As for the adventure
As they wander through the areas that Starrae visited, she describes what she encountered in each place.
In the first chamber:
"I found Prae here, in a cage, and there were a few kobolds. They let me past, as they were preparing to leave. We might be able to use the tables and such as fuel to keep the rats at bay though. Perhaps use the spider silk to get the fire started?"
In the hallway:
"The kobold second in command led me down here, into that room, for a conversation with the spellscale leader. There was an animate skeleton there, as well as the leader, and a podium. There was some silver on the ground, but I do not know what that was."
In the storage room:
"I woke up here, and it was a fairly luxurious bedroom. The second in command, Cestranza, was straddling me, trying to heal me."

At the door
"Do you want to see what is here? There might be something about the riddle here. I remember that spellscale talking about writing in the sarcophagus."

Stannum (IV)
2013-04-12, 11:59 PM
Yurrid patrols the edges of the room, murming softly.

"Yes, we should set up here..."

His face flashes interest briefly as he passes close to the drain; he approaches it to investigate. After concentrating for a moment over the drain, he turns to address the rest of the party.

"There is a level below here. Possibly more than one. I can feel the water dropping; a simple drain would otherwise shift it to the side."

Yurrid then follows Starrae down the hall, running his hand along the door as Starrae conveys what the spellscale told her.

"It's empty, far as I can tell, but it's a large room. Could be anything in there."

Having taken a look at all the areas that do not entail a risk to explore, Yurrid deposits his satchel under the ceiling in the chimneyed room and goes to gather up the bodies that we taken by the spider, planning to deposit each in a similarly sheltered area to keep them from losing flammability.

"Those creatures deserve at least a simple funeral. Call for me if I'm needed."

Archmage1
2013-04-13, 12:06 AM
"Do you think it is wide enough for Arkesh to fit? She could probably get a look at what is there in reasonable safety."
(Arkesh is the hummingbird, you would have seen him occasionally)

As Yurrid goes to gather the bodies, Starrae looks at him, somewhat surprised by his actions
"We can gather them later, if you wish. For now, though, staying together is probably a good idea. I don't think we will find any surprises here, but I could be wrong."

Stannum (IV)
2013-04-13, 01:40 AM
Yurrid grumbles softly to himself, but cedes his position without apparent resistance beyond that. He does investigate the drain further.

"She might fit, but I'd have to wonder how well she could fly in an active drain system. Probably best not to send her down until this storm lets up. Not to mention that it doesn't seem a place pleasant to squeeze through, if those stains are any indication."

Yurrid then attempts to peer down the drain pipe.

If the drain has a grating over it, Yurrid attempts to pry it off, taking 10 and, if that fails, subsequently taking 20 on any strength check to do so (using a dagger for whatever tool is relevant if it would function for such a tool).

Oh, and if it's needed/possible: Spot [roll0]

Archmage1
2013-04-13, 11:11 AM
"You have a point there. If she goes in now, she might get caught by a flood of water or something, which would be terrible. She is small enough to fit, without touching the edges, however, so it is doable. We might as well see what was left in the Spellscale's room. If there is still a ring of silver on the ground, perhaps you will have better luck at identifying it then I did."

After Yurrid tries prying up the grate, Starrae leads the Cabal over to the Ornate Door, where she opens it, confident that there is nothing harmful inside it, except, perhaps, for a skeleton.

NotScaryBats
2013-04-13, 07:08 PM
It takes some doing, but the burly dwarf loosens, then pries the drain cover up. The smell of mold down there is impressive.

What is revealed is a thick pipe running down into another room. From your vantage, you can see the stream of water falling freely into some sort of collection basin, perhaps.

The pipe gives you tunnel vision, and the water down there is murky. It is about fifteen feet of a drop, with five of that being the one foot diameter pipe.

Starrae flings open the ornate door and reveals a large room, dominated by an elaborate coffin. The sepulcher also contains a skeleton, standing beside the coffin, and holding a very well made sword in one hand. Two tiny embers of light burn in the skeleton's eyes.

Archmage1
2013-04-13, 07:20 PM
"The skeleton. I think it will ignore us, since it should not have any orders to attack us, I think. And the sword does look fancy. Does anyone think they can take the skeleton out with one hit?"

8wGremlin
2013-04-13, 08:14 PM
"BY THE ANCESTORS!" Thorgrim takes a step back when looking at the skeleton. He advances and stops just short of actually entering the room... looks like a Skeleton, but i dont like his beady eyes

Action

Knowledge (Religion)(trained!) [roll0] to identify the type of undead
Knowledge (History)(trained!) [roll1] identify any significance of the runes
Knowledge (Arcana)(trained!) [roll2] identify any arcane significance to the runes

Archmage1
2013-04-13, 08:40 PM
"If we want the sword, why don't we surround it? Then, I take the sword. If it resists, you bash it into a pile of bone shards"

NotScaryBats
2013-04-15, 06:43 PM
Which runes is thorgrim investigating?

The skeleton appears to be one created by the animate dead spell. It's burning eyes suggest that it is not under any control. It will probably attack you if you enter it's room.

8wGremlin
2013-04-15, 09:05 PM
Thorgrim moves directly behind the skeleton, raises his quaterstaff above his head. "I'll start casting the moment one of you says ready then break this bone head inta bits, if its all the same to you"

Actions

Move behind Skeleton
Ready action to cast Shillelagh when some one says ready

NotScaryBats
2013-04-16, 12:43 AM
As you predicted, entering the room makes the skeleton wrap both bony hands around its sword. It charges you with remarkable alacrity.

Initiative

No surprise round, post your actions in any order
The Cabal <-- ACTIVE
Skeleton

The creature is 20 feet from the doorway, which is large enough for two abreast. I assume Starrae and Thorgrim are in front, but I'm not picky on that since we didn't discuss it.

8wGremlin
2013-04-16, 01:18 AM
"Oh Crap!" Thorgrim realises his stupidity the moment his foot touches the floor, he whirls his staff round and casts the spell.
Prae leaps from his shoulders and slinks off far away from combat..."<Stupid DWARF>" she murmurs before leaping in to the air and finding some place high to watch...

Thorgrim yells, "I think that potion would have come in handy!"

Actions:

Init: [roll0]
Cast Shillelagh
prepare to fight...

Archmage1
2013-04-16, 05:56 AM
Seeing the skeleton rush them, Starrae frowns, as she was hoping that it would not be aggressive.
"Not good. It will be immune to my magic as well."
Starrae falls back through the group, since she has nothing that would affect the skeleton.

Stannum (IV)
2013-04-16, 03:11 PM
Yurrid moves to the front of the party and sets his feet squarely upon the ground, his quarterstaff in one hand while he makes basic motions with the other.

"Wait for it to close, I'll take the first few hits."

Move action to move to be in front of party members (such that it either attacks Yurrid or provokes an attack of opportunity running past). Standard action to cast shield. AC 15, 7/8hp and DR 1/adamantine. Let's see the skeleton chop through that. Well, it can't do it too quickly anyway. Well, it might not be able to.

NotScaryBats
2013-04-18, 03:02 PM
Starrae moves to the back of the group, passing the two stout dwarves who make up the front line. Yurrid takes point and abjures himself with shield. Thorgrim prepares his staff and readies himself to bash the skeleton. Aidan weaves a quick cantrip he had prepared for just this occasion and a beam of white light streaks towards the skeleton.

I hope you don't mind Failed Phantasm, but Im going to roll for you.

[roll0] touch attack
on hit [roll1] dmg

NotScaryBats
2013-04-18, 03:08 PM
The skeleton effortlessly dodges the beam of positive energy and rushes towards the dwarf in the lead of the party. Fortunately for Yurrid, his abjuration pays dividends, and the gleaming blade is deflected to the side, where it clatters off the stone of the floor, sending sparks flying. Now that the undead creature looms over you, you realize that you've never fought anything like this before -- sure you've read about them. Seeing the thing up close gives you more horrific detail.

Something about the animated bones, covered in tiny, blood red runes and the macabre grin on its fleshless face unsettles the Cabal. The large sword that it casually swings around is also inscribed in these tiny runes, about a quarter inch in size.

Charge attack missed, -2 to AC
the Cabal may now act.

8wGremlin
2013-04-18, 04:00 PM
"By The Gods" Thorgrim staggers as the Skeleton rushes towards them, his eyes wide in fear. Swinging wildly he tries to step to the side a little, trying to manoeuvre round the skeleton, and get in a better position to deliver a smashing blow. With a purposeful cutting swip Thorgrim attacks the Skeleton

5' step to move in to a flanking position, if able, or to allow someone to manoeuvre after me to get it

Attack with Shillelagh
To Hit: [roll0]
Confirm Crit: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Note: haven't taken the AC of the Skeleton in to consideration, these are my base rolls.

NotScaryBats
2013-04-18, 04:16 PM
Undead are immune to critical hits, so you don't need to bother confirming

Unsettled by the undead creature bearing down on him, Thorgrim's swipe is parried by the ccreature's swift blade.

8wGremlin
2013-04-18, 04:42 PM
Quick someone smash it, throw rocks do anything... Thorgrim drops to a more defensive stance and concentrates on the things movements, looking for an opening...

No action, just extending the narrative...

Archmage1
2013-04-18, 05:22 PM
Considering her unloaded crossbow, as well as the skeletal state of the enemy, Starrae sees if she can't follow Thorgrim's advice, and find a rock to throw, even if her accuracy and force would leave much to be desired.

[roll0] know arcana on the runes
[roll1] spellcraft, same target

NotScaryBats
2013-04-18, 05:44 PM
Starrae
It is extremely rare, but the art of necromancy to bring the dead back to life is a possibility for wizards. As such, it is taught at the Ensorcelled Spire (though even the necromancy teacher focuses on the negative energy and utility aspects of it -- not the creation of undead).

You have heard, however, that some particularly gifted necromancers can create undead much more powerful than the norm. These "corpsecrafters" inscribe runes on their undead that give them special abilities, increased hardiness, and in some rare cases, even magical abilities of their own.

The runes on the skeleton say "Retribution" and "Strength"

The runes on the blade say "Rime" and "Hypothermia"

Archmage1
2013-04-18, 05:47 PM
"The runes... This skeleton was made by a skilled necromancer. Strength, and retribution were inscribed into him, just as cold was placed into his sword. This is not going to be easy."

Stannum (IV)
2013-04-18, 07:13 PM
Yurrid, somewhat confident in his abjuration's defensive ability, begins hitting the skeleton with his staff.

"Smash the damned thing and we can examine it after!"

5ft step to move to flank if such is possible without exposing
Attack:[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Damned is used literally (well, close to literally) in this context.
Yurrid's response reflects someone under attack and does not reflect his player's views on the usefulness of knowledge checks in combat.

NotScaryBats
2013-04-18, 07:25 PM
Yurrid connects with his blow, and the two dwarves now flank the skeleton. It barely seems to notice his attack, and remains focused on the first target it chose.

NotScaryBats
2013-04-20, 04:07 AM
Aidan casts Light of Lunia, still keeping his distance and eying the skeletal humanoid nervously. Once the energies coalesce, he is prepared to fire upon the creature momentarily.

With a quick swipe, the runed sword cuts through Yurrid's shield and slashes his shoulder. The blade is cold as ice, and the wound quickly numbs.

Yurrid takes 4 damage, reduced to 3 by his DR.
The skeleton's AC penalty ends, but you two are now flanking it.

It is now the Cabal's turn.

Archmage1
2013-04-20, 10:29 AM
Starrae continues to demonstrate the amazing power that someone with all illusion/enchantment spells without a bludgeoning weapon holds over the undead, looking on at the battle nervously, but unable to accomplish anything, beyond risking her life for nothing.

Stannum (IV)
2013-04-20, 01:17 PM
Yurrid bites his lip, holding back pain and attempting to concentrate on the earth beneath him. He then continues in his attack, attempting to drive it off.

Standard action: Attack [roll0] (including flanking)
Move action to concentrate on the earth, per earth sense feat, though that's just to calm himself really.

NotScaryBats
2013-04-20, 03:05 PM
Another solid hit cracks the skeleton's skull. It staggers sideways, but remains animate.

you bloody the skeleton

Archmage1
2013-04-20, 03:09 PM
As the cracks in the skeleton's bones seem to spread, Starrae feels a flare of hope that the cabal can indeed defeat this legendary monster.

8wGremlin
2013-04-20, 03:36 PM
Thorgrim, pushes his advantage flanking the skeleton with Yurrid, with a more determined look "Lets send this thing back from whence it came" he brings down his staff. It's green living energy leaping towards the unliving.

If need: 5' step to keep up flanking
Attack Shillelagh : [roll0] (+2 if flanking)

NotScaryBats
2013-04-20, 10:41 PM
Thorgrim is able to take advantage of the opening his ally granted him, and his enchanted staff finishes the job Yurrid started. As the glowing green quarterstaff smashes the skeleton's skull, the runes for retribution glow menacingly. The two dwarves have only a moment to react before the undead creature explodes in a burst of necrotic energy.

10 foot spread of negative energy damage, 2 damage, dc 15 Reflex save for half.

Let me know if in the future you want me to make your saves here? I feel like you'd rather roll them yourselves for some reason.

Starrae and Aidan are far enough away to be clear of the effects.

After a moment, silence once again falls upon the tomb. All that remains of the skeleton are the runed sword, complete and intact, a humerus bone, and a small pile of dust.

8wGremlin
2013-04-20, 10:50 PM
As the runes on the skeleton reach a crescendo, Thorgrim turns and dives, trying to shield the others from the blast...

Reflex save: [roll0]
If I fail, then I'm knocked to zero HP

Archmage1
2013-04-20, 10:52 PM
As Thorgrim's strike triggers the retribution spell, Starrae winces, guessing at what is to come. Once the dust settles, and it is clear that the dwarves are alive, she approaches the fallen skeleton, careful to avoid stepping in the dust. Once she gets there, she kneels down, and carefully removes the sword, and the remaining bone, trying to not get bone dust or blood on her red gloved hands.
"I am sorry that was needed. I was hoping that the uncontrolled skeleton would not fight us, but it did. On the bright side, we are now the owners of a rather useless magical sword, and a bone, which may or may not be magical."

After picking them up, she moves over to the sarcophagus, examining them to see what she can learn
[roll0] arcana
[roll1] spellcraft

NotScaryBats
2013-04-20, 11:32 PM
The heavy sword is fully six pounds, and is cold to the touch. The bone seems ordinary enough; its runes have faded. The dust does not look malignant, but Starrae is able to avoid getting any of it on her.

Now, the Cabal is able to get a better look at the room. A grand, metal coffin dominates the room, easily seven feet tall and ten feet long. To one side, you see a very complex circular diagram drawn in chalk, with one edge smudged. A metal stand sits just outside the circle, but isn't holding anything.

Inside the empty coffin, you see a velvety red cushioned lining, and an inscription above a luxurious pillow where the head would rest that says "Take this offering of bone and dust"

It is curious that there is not date, name, or details about the interred (which you may assume was the skeleton you just slew).

Archmage1
2013-04-20, 11:44 PM
Starrae moves to place the magical sword into her bag, before hesitating, and turning to the others
"That circle is what I was talking about earlier. I know I should recognize it, but, well, I don't. Can any of you do so? We might learn what this room was used for by whomever was in the tomb. Also, can anyone else carry the sword? It is rather heavy."

Noting that the bone is not magical, Starrae calmly drops it back into the coffin, before trying to see if she can find something else in the coffin.
[roll0]

I am going to go out on a limb here, and assume that Starrae can't retry the failed spellcraft check

Stannum (IV)
2013-04-21, 01:05 AM
Yurrid too dives away from the blast, though he displays all of the grace that dwarves are known for.

Once the apparent energy release has passed, Yurrid rises, dusts himself off, and pokes the dusty remains of the skeleton a few times with his quarterstaff cautiously. Having assured himself that the dust is not immediate threat, he begins examining the cut the sword left in his shoulder. Having worked on the exterior of the tower's stonework a number of times with varying degrees of recklessness, Yurrid had managed to learn that bleeding was best stopped by time and lack of motion. Thus he sat and attempted to do so, at least until the wound seemed to have stopped up as well as it would. Shortly though, Yurrid rises to join the party in examining the area and the weapon.

"Starrae, pass that here please."

Taking the sword into his hands, Yurrid examines the blade closely. Surely, if this was the magical blade the runes would have implied, there was something to be learned from its craftsmanship.

Remembering finally that there may yet be threats in this room other than small piles of ash, Yurrid paces the area, extending his senses through the stonework to identify any such potential threats.

Reflex save: [roll0] (+2 if it is considered a spell or SLA)
Spellcraft: [roll1]
Knowledge (arcana): [roll2]
Appraise (on the sword, see if it's at least masterwork, and hence if it could be magical): [roll3]
Earth sense throughout the room.

Archmage1
2013-04-21, 01:08 AM
Starrae is quite willing to pass him the sword, watching what he does with it.

NotScaryBats
2013-04-21, 04:12 AM
It is certainly a masterwork bastard sword, and the continued chill all along its blade makes you moderately certain that it carries an enchantment of modest power.

Your earthsense tells you that there is not a hidden room underneath this one -- unlike the last room.

Starrae hasn't really learned anything new about magic since she last examined the circle, and therefore has no new insights on it.

After searching the insides of the coffin for a moment, Starrae notices some lumps in the velvet lining. It looks like something may be hidden beneath the lining.

Archmage1
2013-04-21, 09:42 AM
Seeing the lumps in the lining, Starrae pulls out a crossbow bolt, and uses that to cut her way through, trying to locate the concealed something.

NotScaryBats
2013-04-21, 04:40 PM
Beneath the lining, Starrae finds about a dozen pebble-sized black gems. Under the pillow, there is a dark blue gem about the size of a fist.

Archmage1
2013-04-21, 04:50 PM
Starrae places the gems into her bag, making no effort to conceal them, before stepping out of the coffin.

"There was a hidden compartment in there, with some gems, but it seems to be empty beyond that, unless you want a nice pillow some guy has been dead on. Can any of you remember what the circle is? I know we were shown one at the school, but I just can't remember. If not, we might want to search that throne room, deal with the fallen, and gather wood to see if we can't use it to distract the rats beyond the door."

Starrae moves over near the exit, waiting for the others to finish in the room.

NotScaryBats
2013-04-21, 05:08 PM
Was anyone doing anything else in this room?

Archmage1
2013-04-21, 05:10 PM
Trying to ID the probable magic circle, I believe. If no one does, then I think we are done in the room.

Always sad when you have a pretty good idea what something is OOC, and are unable to know what it is IC

8wGremlin
2013-04-21, 08:33 PM
Prae wanders around the circle sniffing it for a while and then pads off and sits next to Starrae. The Tressym looks up at the tiefling, their eyes meet for just a moment, and Starrae looks into the darkly intelligent yellow eyes, Prae winks and then slinks off to sit in the next room, you swear the cat looks smug about something.

Archmage1
2013-04-21, 08:52 PM
At Prae's odd behavior, Starrae simply shrugs. After all, one can never get anything from a cat that she does not want to give.

"Prae seems to think it is time to go. Shall we?"

As she speaks, Starrae ceases leaning up against the wall, and heads into the other room, intending on going to the room with the throne, and seeing if there is anything of note there.

[roll0] search