PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Bard needs saving!

Keltaris
2013-03-05, 06:58 AM
We recently started a Dragonlance campaign and I decided to play a Rogue 1/Bard 2 so that I could have trapfinding and be of some support to the party in and out of combat.

Being the best optimizer of the party, I decided to restrain myself and chose Weapon Finesse, Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm and Lingering Song for my first 4 feats.

Needless to say, that was a bad choice. A player dropped out and this is now our party:

- Minotaur Lion Totem Barbarian 5 going into Frenzied Berserker
- Dwarf Cleric 5 going into RSoP (has 8 Str, mainly healbot)
- Human Druid 5 with riding dog
- Human Rogue 1/Bard 4 going into Lyric Thaumaturge

Now, retraining is not possible so I thought increasing spell slots might be a good way to gain effectiveness.

This are the spells I'd like to learn:

0: Prestidigitation, Read Magic,
Light, Summon Instrument, Detect Magic

1: Grease, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Insp. Boost,
Silent Image*

2: Glitterdust, Blindness/Deafness, Silence*,
Invisibility*, Suggestion*, Tongues*

3: Confusion, Haste*, Glibness*, Charm Monster*, Phantom Steed*

*: Don't have it yet.

These are the books I have to work with:

PHB, DMG, Completes

Am I missing something in my spell list? Would Lyric Thaumaturge be a good choice? Is there a way to save this character?

Socratov
2013-03-05, 07:24 AM
well, you could still go for (IIRC afb now and need to check more of it) rogue 1/bard 8/virtuoso 1/Sublime Chord 2/virtuoso 8

it basically gives you a wizard-light with trapfinding (if you can get there with feats). Not campaign breaking, damn useful.

Gwendol
2013-03-05, 07:28 AM
I suggest adding alter self to your spell list. It's a great utility spell. I'd rank it higher than silence. Silence you can always get a scroll of.

Keltaris
2013-03-05, 07:57 AM
I suggest adding alter self to your spell list. It's a great utility spell. I'd rank it higher than silence. Silence you can always get a scroll of.

I considered it, but I thought its versatility could be a little decreased with only the MM1 to choose forms from.

Still, I probably should rank it higher than Silence.

Virtuoso/Sublime Chord could be very hard to reach due to skill requirements and IIRC Virtuoso would lose me another CL. Besides, I don't think we'll go past 10th level, so...

Socratov
2013-03-05, 08:08 AM
take one less level of bard and a second of virtuoso before sublime chord. And 1 lvl is not that bad with the accelerated casting of SC... but, Yeah, look into those reqs. they might just still be achievable though...

Gwendol
2013-03-05, 08:25 AM
True, that is quite restricting, but you still get lizardfolk (+5 NA) and some underwater choices.