PDA

View Full Version : Concentration Metamagic [3.x E6]

Altair_the_Vexed
2013-03-05, 04:00 PM
In CRPGs and media, spells are often be maintained by force of will, rather than by some pre-set duration. This metamagic feat for my E6 game aims to provide that experience - but I worry that there's some loop hole I haven't thought of...

Concentration Spell [Metamagic]
You concentrate on your spell, sustaining it as long as you focus your attention.

Benefit: The spell's duration changes to concentration. If the spell allows a saving throw, affected creatures may attempt a save each round.
This metamagic feat may be applied to any spell with duration other than instantaneous or permanent.
A Concentration spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.

So - can you see any obvious way to exploit this metamagic?

EDITED: adding a save each round

Draz74
2013-03-05, 04:16 PM
Illusory Pit? (Stuns for 1 round. This metamagic could turn it into a stun-lock.)

JoshuaZ
2013-03-05, 04:24 PM
Illusory Pit? (Stuns for 1 round. This metamagic could turn it into a stun-lock.)

Maybe specify that if the spell allows a save they get a save every turn to end it?

Altair_the_Vexed
2013-03-05, 04:25 PM
Maybe specify that if the spell allows a save they get a save every turn to end it?

That seems like a reasonable fix - I'll add that.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-03-05, 04:46 PM
So, why would a spellcaster actually use this metamagic, barring some rare exceptions and unusual situations?

1) Concentration means "While this spell is active I can't cast spells or take standard/full round actions. If I do, it immediately ends."
2) Concentration means "other people don't need to dispel this magic - it immediately ends as soon as they deal sufficient damage, hit me with a strong ability of any type or otherwise distract me".

The only spells that would benefit from something like that would be the Vigor line of spells, some duration-limited divinations and spells that are already concentration but also have limited durations (i.e. cast an Implosion that is concentration, limited to 1 round/5 levels to render it concentration, indefinite)

Altair_the_Vexed
2013-03-05, 05:03 PM
So, why would a spellcaster actually use this metamagic, barring some rare exceptions and unusual situations?

Your examples focus on drawbacks in combat, whereas this feat is intended to be a utility meta - letting spells be extended for as long as the caster can concentrate, which can be nearly indefinitely.
In an E6 game there aren't many ways to get long durations for utility spells.

...can you see any obvious way to exploit this metamagic?

I'm really just looking to see whether this is exploitable, not whether it's valuable.

bobthe6th
2013-03-05, 09:01 PM
I'm really just looking to see whether this is exploitable

It is either very weak, or used for pure cheese. Like using vigor for endless HP refresh out of combat, or endless ropetrick to get out of a harry situation.

Kazyan
2013-03-05, 09:32 PM
Sonorous Hum, in conjuction with this feat, could extend the shorter low-level buffs to 1 min/level. I'm not sure how much that can break in E6, though.