PDA

View Full Version : Something I've noticed about Vampires...

Getsugaru
2013-03-05, 04:41 PM
Ever since the realization that Malack was, indeed, a vampire, I've been looking over the information about vampires in both the MM and the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm). Recently, I made a startling discovery: nowhere in the rules, flavor text, etc. for the vampire does it say that they have to drink blood. It says that they can under the ability but not that they must.

Proof:
Blood Drain (Ex)
A vampire can suck blood from a living victim with its fangs by making a successful grapple check. If it pins the foe, it drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained. On each such successful attack, the vampire gains 5 temporary hit points.
Bolding/Underlining by me. Nowhere in the text for the vampire, whether the MM or the SRD, does it say that they are required to do it, only that they can.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-05, 04:45 PM
Undead were classified by diet dependent, inescapable craving, etc, in Libris Mortis, IIRC. I think vamps were filed under inescapable craving, which I believe translated to an escalating save DC or give in to the craving. Worth looking into; Libris Mortis has tons of info and ideas about using undead and rules (variant zombies...it's Christmas!).

Alaris
2013-03-05, 04:50 PM
Closest thing is in ANOTHER sourcebook. Vampires, as per the Monster Manual do not NEED to drink blood.

Naturally, I house-ruled this for my own campaign... and the way it seems, so did The Giant (Rich Burlew).

mattie_p
2013-03-05, 04:50 PM
Inescapable craving and diet dependant, both. Libris mortis. It is unclear if the Giant is using those rules.

Psyren
2013-03-05, 06:26 PM
Even without LM it's pretty clear he's using some of the "folklore" aspects to vampirism as well. Such as Malack's voice/eyes changing when he "vamps out."

Zanthy1
2013-03-05, 08:48 PM
Malak does "need" to drink blood. He says that he just drinks it from the prisoners/sacrifices of the kingdom that Tarquinn and him rule.

Silva Stormrage
2013-03-05, 08:55 PM
Yes, in Libris Mortis it is stated that Vampires need blood to survive and that they have an inescapable hunger for it. It also states that they need life energy from their energy drain as well.

Yogibear41
2013-03-05, 11:37 PM
In Libris Mortis under half-vampires it says they have to drink blood, but they never die from a lack of blood they only take extreme penalties as their hunger increases.

I personally would say that vampires are similar, and can go forever without blood( or maybe just a reallly really long time) but start to take penalties pretty quickly without it.

Perhaps I have just been watching Being human on TV too much and it has rubbed off on me though :smallsmile:

jedipilot24
2013-03-05, 11:55 PM
There's also the Elder Scrolls approach to Vampirism: Vampires get more powerful the longer they go without feeding, but they also lose the ability to exist in normal society and become increasingly vulnerable to the sun.

Yogibear41
2013-03-06, 12:22 AM
Thats also kinda how they are in the movie Daybreakers, they basically devolve into more bat like creatures, gaining speed, strength, etc. but losing all intelligent thought.