PDA

View Full Version : Bardic music and weapons

Devronq
2013-03-05, 04:53 PM
Two quick questions, is there a way to reduce the action it takes to use bardic music to make it a free action or something else?

And second i briefly remember seeing a weapon that was an instrument as well? can you attack and play music at the same time with it? this is really only for style reasons as i know you could just sing :P thanks in advance

Gwendol
2013-03-05, 05:18 PM
Yes. The feat Song of the White Raven allows the bard/crusader to start inspire courage as a swift action while in a White Raven stance.
I'm sure the are instruments you can use as weapons, and if not you can perhaps design one?
Note that there is a weapon enhancement that makes your weapon keep up the song for you (allowing you to cast a spell, or sing another song).

CaladanMoonblad
2013-03-05, 05:21 PM
I've always had a houserule that Kazoos require no hands. I require any player to use an actual kazoo in play if their bard is taking advantage of this house rule.

Talk to your GM- see if s/he will adopt it : )

Starbuck_II
2013-03-05, 05:27 PM
Two quick questions, is there a way to reduce the action it takes to use bardic music to make it a free action or something else?

And second i briefly remember seeing a weapon that was an instrument as well? can you attack and play music at the same time with it? this is really only for style reasons as i know you could just sing :P thanks in advance

If you mean maintain performance while attacking, you can do that naturally if inspiring courage, but not if facinating as that requires concentration.

Devronq
2013-03-05, 05:32 PM
If you mean maintain performance while attacking, you can do that naturally if inspiring courage, but not if facinating as that requires concentration.

well i meant more like physically attacking with the instrument and playing it as at the same time, is it allowed ot does anything allow it?

and thanks so far any other ways to make it a free action?

gorfnab
2013-03-05, 06:06 PM
Crystal Echoblade (MIC)
Harmonizing weapon enhancement (MIC)

dwlc2000
2013-03-05, 06:24 PM
Dude, just put ranks in perform (sing) and use that instead. You can sing for a bardic song and have your hands full of weapons. If you want a more combat focused bard, check out savage bard in UA

Chilingsworth
2013-03-05, 07:03 PM
Yeah Act, Comedy, Dance, Oratory, Sing... none of them require you to hold anything in your hands. I'm kinda surprised the instrument-based skills see any use for bardic music at all.

Then again, my dm doesn't allow the alternate rules for masterwork instruments.

Oh, and take the Melodic Casting feat and you can cast spells, and use command word or spell trigger magic items while engaging in bardic music.

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-05, 07:09 PM
Perform (Sing) and Perform (Oratory) to the rescue!

Darrin
2013-03-05, 07:37 PM
Steel flute in Secrets of Sarlona.

Complete Scoundrel has a blade that can be mounted on an instrument. I forget what it's called.

And there's a Cityscape web enhancement that has the almighty Lutebow.

RedDragons
2013-03-06, 12:50 AM
non cannon , but forgotten realms had a book of a ranger bard that would use a hallowed out greatclub to do war crys that had bard benfits and then swing it around.