PDA

View Full Version : "A cloud? Really? Is that the best you ca-" *BOOOOOM* (3.5 Spell, PEACH)

Noctis Vigil
2013-03-05, 05:55 PM
Cloud Bomb
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Cloud spread in a 20 ft. radius, 20 feet high (see text)
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fort half, Ref negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: No

You summon a fog cloud effect into the area of effect. Unlike a normal fog cloud effect, this spell expands an additional 10 feet in radius every round it remains in effect.

This is no normal fog cloud, however. The fog is made up of a highly flammable substance. If a [fire] effect of any kind is used inside the cloud, the entire cloud ignites in a giant fireball, dealing 1d6 fire damage per caster level (maximum 20d6) to anything inside the cloud. A successful Fortitude save reduces this damage by half. Additionally, a Reflex save must be made by everyone inside the cloud when it is ignited; failure means you are lit on fire and take 2d6 fire damage a round until you spend a round to put the fire out, are doused in water or are hit with a [cold] effect.

Igniting the cloud ends the spell, otherwise it disperses harmlessly at the end of its duration.

Material Component: a pint of oil.

Doxkid
2013-03-05, 05:59 PM
Looks fine, though I would drop the spell level down to 5th.

Kane0
2013-03-05, 08:49 PM
Looks fine as is (except a fort save for half damage, shoudlnt that be ref?) but I'm tempted to suggest an alternative where you can opt to prematurely end the spell during its duration to ignite it and get rid of the catching on fire thing to balance it out.

bobthe6th
2013-03-05, 08:57 PM
Seems like a nice combo with fireball... can you say OMGWTFBBQ?

Frathe
2013-03-05, 09:05 PM
As super-deadly cloud spells go, just wondering if you remembered cloudkill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/cloudkill.htm). :smallbiggrin:

Noctis Vigil
2013-03-05, 09:47 PM
This was actually inspired by an amusing incident one of my games had, which started with a huge cloud of dust and a fireball spell, and ended with turning a ruined church into a cultist-firing cannon.

As for the save, I went with Fort because if you're in what is essentially a floating cloud of oil, it will stick to you so you can't dodge it.

About spell level: do you really think it needs to be lowered? With a few rounds wait, this is basically fireball cast on an army. Seriously here, at level 20 this thing does 20d6 fire damage to everything within a 220 foot radius, provided you wait 20 rounds to light it. Cast it twice and you can have them set each other off.

And yes, I do know cloudkill, it's great. I even used it to help get the spell data right on this one, in fact.

bobthe6th
2013-03-05, 11:05 PM
About spell level: do you really think it needs to be lowered? With a few rounds wait, this is basically fireball cast on an army. Seriously here, at level 20 this thing does 20d6 fire damage to everything within a 220 foot radius, provided you wait 20 rounds to light it. Cast it twice and you can have them set each other off.

you know most combats last at most 10 rounds(for really drawn out ones). At the level you are casting it, this maxes out as a 10d6 in a 100ft radius... put you have to have the target planed a minute ahead of time.

Not all that much better then fireball, but with enough of a niche benefit to be a level 4 spell.

mythmonster2
2013-03-05, 11:30 PM
As a note, I wasn't aware that time could be measured in feet (You put the range where the casting time should be and the casting time is missing entirely).

Noctis Vigil
2013-03-06, 02:34 AM
As a note, I wasn't aware that time could be measured in feet (You put the range where the casting time should be and the casting time is missing entirely).

...You see nothing. It was right all along. :smallredface:

Adjusted to 5th level.

nxwtypx
2013-03-06, 12:27 PM
Even 5th level might be too high for this one. This spell takes some serious planning and setup to work out. In light of of secondary effects of other damaging cloud spells (Cloudkill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/cloudkill.htm) being simply lethal, Acid Fog (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/acidFog.htm) slowing movement down in addition to the DoT effect, Incendiary Cloud (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/incendiaryCloud.htm) being a particularly hard-ticking DoT), the fact that this one is effectively a large fireball when a plan comes together, makes me want to put this spell at 4th, Hannibal.