Belial_the_Leveler
2013-03-05, 05:59 PM
Greater Succubus CR 14

http://www.succubus.net/wiki/images/5/58/Dnd4e.jpg

Medium Outsider (chaotic, evil, demon)
Init +8; Senses darkvision 60ft, detect good, Perception +33
Aura aura of evil
DEFENSE
AC 35, t 18, ff 27 (+6 armor, +8 Dex, +11 natural)
hp 248 (16d10+160) Fort +17, Ref +18, Will +18
DR 10/cold iron and good, Resist Acid/Cold 10, Fire/Electricity/Poison Immune, Spell Resistance 24

OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft., fly 50 ft.
Melee 2 claws +26 (1d6+10)
Special Attacks energy drain, profane gift
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 15th)
Constant—detect good, tongues
At will—charm monster (DC 27), detect thoughts (DC 25), ethereal jaunt (self plus 50 lbs. of objects only), euphoric tranquility (DC 31), fireball (DC 26), greater dispel magic, greater teleport (self plus 50 lbs. of objects only), mirror image, vampiric touch
6/day—quickened greater teleport (self plus 50 lbs. of objects only)
1/day—dominate person (DC 28), summon (level 5, CR 10 or less demon 70%)
STATISTICS
Str 20, Dex 26, Con 28, Int 26, Wis 22, Cha 36
Base Atk +16; CMB +24 (+26 grab); CMD 39
Feats Agile Maneuvers, Weapon Finesse, Iron Will, Great Fortitude, Improved Grab, Toughness, Quicken Spell-Like Ability: Greater Teleport 2x
Skills Bluff +40, Diplomacy +32, Disguise +27, Escape Artist +27, Fly +24, Intimidate +32, Knowledge (local/arcana/planes) +27, Perception +33, Profession (courtesan) +32, Sense Motive +25, Stealth +27; Spellcraft +27; Racial Modifiers +8 Bluff, +8 Perception
Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Infernal, Ignan, Elven, Dwarven; tongues, telepathy 100 ft
SQ Change Shape (alter self, Small or Medium humanoid)
Equipment: Mithral Chain Shirt +2, Amulet of Mighty Fists +2

Energy Drain (Su)
A greater succubus drains energy from a mortal she lures into an act of passion, such as a kiss. An unwilling victim must be grappled before the greater succubus can use this ability. The greater succubus's kiss bestows one negative level. The kiss also causes madness; this works as the Insanity spell except instead of the normal confusion effect, the victim irrationally believes the greater succubus is its one true love. How this belief causes the victim to act depends on the victim and varies wildly from complete infatuation, to worship, to irrational jealousy, even to attempts to kidnap and/or force oneself on the greater succubus. Attempts at what the victim believes is a stable, healthy relationship are not unheard of and rather hilarious (for the greater succubus). The victim must succeed on a DC 31 Will save to negate the Insanity. The DC is 31 for the Fortitude save to remove a negative level. These save DCs are Charisma-based.

Profane Gift (Su)
As a full-round action, a succubus may grant a profane gift to a willing humanoid creature by touching it for 1 full round. The target gains a profane bonus to an ability score of his choice. A single creature may have no more than one profane gift from a succubus at a time. As long as the profane gift persists, the succubus can communicate telepathically with the target across any distance (and may use her charm monster spell-like ability through it). A profane gift is removed by dispel evil or dispel chaos. The succubus can remove it as well as a free action (causing 2d6 Charisma drain to the victim, no save).
Unlike lesser succubae, a greater succubus can either bestow up to six +2 bonuses per day (to different creatures) or a single +6 profane bonus to one creature.

Maquise
2013-03-05, 08:37 PM
It looks like a fairly decent monster, all and all. The extra SLAs make thematic sense. As far as the number goes, it doesn't seem terribly out of place, but don't take my word for that.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-03-06, 03:23 AM
Thanks.

I fixed her saves now (they were way too high) and changed her feats a bit so she relied a bit more on her SLAs than physical combat. To build her I followed this procedure;

1) Take standard succubus
2) Add 8 racial HD, raising the CR by 4.
3) Add the Advanced template twice, raising CR by 2.
4) Add 2 SLAs to fit higher-level play and raise the CR by 1.
4b) Exchange the old Suggestion SLA for fireball.
5) Recalculate her stats for her higher level and ability scores.
6) Add a chain shirt +2

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-03-07, 04:22 AM
. . . Bump?

Frathe
2013-03-07, 09:22 PM
I got here from the PEACH Exchange thread.

Greater Succubus CR 14

http://www.succubus.net/wiki/images/5/58/Dnd4e.jpg

Medium Outsider (chaotic, evil, demon)
The online PFSRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/demon/succubus) has this format: CE Medium outsider (chaotic, demon, evil, extraplanar)
Init +8; Senses darkvision 60ft, detect good, Perception +33
Aura aura of evil
DEFENSE
AC 35, t 18, ff 27 (+6 armor, +8 Dex, +11 natural)
Never seen this shorthand before. It took me a few seconds to figure out what "t" and "ff" were short for.
hp 256 (16d10+160) Fort +21, Ref +18, Will +18
I calculate 248 HP. Average (16*5.5) for the dice + (16*9) for the Con modifier + (3+13) for the Toughness.
I see you gave them all good saves, another improvement from the original succubus. Unusual for an outsider; they usually only have good Reflex and Will.
DR 10/cold iron+good, Resist Acid/Cold 10, Fire/Electricity/Poison Immune, Spell Resistance 24
It's minor, but the SRD puts "Immune: before the list of damage types. Also, just checking, does the "+" for the DR mean "and" (it does, right, not "or")?

OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft., fly 50 ft.
Melee 2 claws +26 (1d6+10/19–20)
You might want to go up a die size, or have 2d6, instead of adding such a large number to the damage (unless I'm missing some reason to do what you're doing). Also, is there any reason for the increased critical range? Normal succubus claws only crit on a 20. Is it just to make it better, and to go with the general logic of larger critical ranges for sharper weapons?
Special Attacks energy drain, profane gift
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 15th)
Constant—detect good, tongues
At will—charm monster (DC 27), detect thoughts (DC 25), ethereal jaunt (self plus 50 lbs. of objects only), euphoric tranquility (DC 31), fireball (DC 26), greater dispel magic, greater teleport (self plus 50 lbs. of objects only), mirror image, vampiric touch
6/day—quickened greater teleport (self plus 50 lbs. of objects only)
1/day—dominate person (DC 28), summon (level 5, CR 10 or less demon 70%)
STATISTICS
Str 20, Dex 26, Con 28, Int 26, Wis 22, Cha 36
This has rather high natural scores, but it's appropriate for a tough enemy. Just out of curiousity, how well could you duplicate this by leveling a normal succubus? Could you, or is this too much better in some ways while not enough in others (ability scores higher, not enough added class-like features).
Base Atk +16; CMB +24 (+26 grab); CMD 39
Feats Agile Maneuvers, Weapon Finesse, Iron Will, Great Fortitude, Improved Grab, Toughness, Quicken Spell-Like Ability: Greater Teleport 2x
Do you need the "2x"?
Skills Bluff +40, Diplomacy +32, Disguise +27, Escape Artist +27, Fly +24, Intimidate +32, Knowledge (local/arcana/planes) +27, Perception +33, Profession (courtesan) +32, Sense Motive +25, Stealth +27; Spellcraft +27;
I don't want to have to count up all the skill point and check if you got the right number. I'll just trust you on this one.
Racial Modifiers +8 Bluff, +8 Perception
Did you consider any racial bonus to Diplomacy? Just wondering; there are (I think) some obvious reasons (you know, seducing people, although if you just want this as a kill-people-y enemy that won't be necessary).
Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Infernal, Ignan, Elven, Dwarven; tongues, telepathy 100 ft
You could probably take out Infernal (they're demons, not devils) and Ignan, and I'm guessing Elven and Dwarven are mostly there for usefulness. It's not necessary that you do so; it's just that that's an awfully long language list.
SQ Change Shape (alter self, Small or Medium humanoid)
Equipment: Mithral Chain Shirt +2, Amulet of Mighty Fists +2
Out of curiosity, where's the other +4 armor coming from in the AC ("armor", not natural armor)?

Energy Drain (Su)
A greater succubus drains energy from a mortal she lures into an act of passion, such as a kiss. An unwilling victim must be grappled before the greater succubus can use this ability. The greater succubus's kiss bestows one negative level. The kiss also causes madness; this works as the Insanity spell except instead of the normal confusion effect, the victim irrationally believes the greater succubus is its one true love. How this belief causes the victim to act depends on the victim and varies wildly from complete infatuation, to worship, to irrational jealousy, even to attempts to kidnap and/or force oneself on the greater succubus. Attempts at what the victim believes is a stable, healthy relationship are not unheard of and rather hilarious (for the greater succubus). The victim must succeed on a DC 31 Will save to negate the Insanity. The DC is 31 for the Fortitude save to remove a negative level. These save DCs are Charisma-based.

Profane Gift (Su)
As a full-round action, a succubus may grant a profane gift to a willing humanoid creature by touching it for 1 full round. The target gains a profane bonus to an ability score of his choice. A single creature may have no more than one profane gift from a succubus at a time. As long as the profane gift persists, the succubus can communicate telepathically with the target across any distance (and may use her charm monster spell-like ability through it). A profane gift is removed by dispel evil or dispel chaos. The succubus can remove it as well as a free action (causing 2d6 Charisma drain to the victim, no save).
Unlike lesser succubae, a greater succubus can either bestow up to six +2 bonuses per day (to different creatures) or a single +6 profane bonus to one creature.

The plural of succubus is succubi. Just so you know.

Overall this is a pretty nice creature, though perhaps not entirely original in concept. I'd add some information on ecology (Environment; Organization; Treasure, and a description.)

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-03-08, 05:45 AM
Name: "succubi" is a modernism. Then again, so is "succubus".

Claws: My mistake on the threat range - seems most natural attacks only critical on a 20 despite being slashing or piercing. On the dice size, succubus claws already do nonstandard damage (medium claws should be doing 1d4) so I kept it as it. On the bonus damage, that's the amount of damage her strength and enhancement bonus give.

Defenses: The HP is a mistake and fixed. The saving throws are also a holdover from 3.5 when outsiders had all good saves and will also be fixed.

Ability Scores: Those are pretty standard scores for a succubus who has been advanced twice then gets 2 ability increases from extra HD.

Feats/Skills: She has Quicken SLA twice so she can teleport as a swift action six times per day for those quick getaways or for the times she needs to drop in the middle of a group and give an insanity-kiss or tranquilizing touch on the most dangerous PC (usually the wizard). Succubi don't have a diplomacy bonus so she doesn't either. It's not as if she needs it - against most people she'll employ charm monster or her insanity-kiss when she wants something.

Languages: I didn't know what extra languages to give her for her increased intelligence so I gave those that seemed to fit most. It's not as if she really needs them; she has "tongues" always on.

Equipment: The mithral chain shirt +2 gives 6 armor bonus to her AC (4 base plus 2 enhancement).

The Succubus
2013-03-08, 05:48 AM
I like the idea behind the Insanity Kiss - it not only makes for very effective play but is wonderfully fitting thematically as well.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-03-08, 06:05 AM
The standard succubus could channel suggestions through her kisses - a 3rd level mental whammy appropriate for a CR 7 creature. A CR 14 creature would have a 7th level spell as appropriate instead - thus insanity. (or a major curse, which is the same thing)
I also fiddled with the exact effects of the spell to be thematically closer. After all, there's this whole "mad with love" idea that really fits.

Frathe
2013-03-08, 01:25 PM
Name: "succubi" is a modernism. Then again, so is "succubus"....So it is, now that I look it up. It's just that I've seen "succubi" every place I've ever seen it pluralized and the spellchecker backed me up (I guess we English speakers confused our Latin declensions, huh? :smallbiggrin:)

It seems a little weird to me to keep the modernized singular but use the correct-in-Latin old plural--you're going to confuse people, and it's inconsistent. Here's an idea--you could call this monster the Succuba, to distinguish it from the SRD succubus (unless you think that's too similar).