PDA

View Full Version : Creating Magic Items

Panzerbjorn
2013-03-05, 08:22 PM
Is there a way to create a magic item, i.e. ring/rod/wand, for create water (lvl 0 spell) to be cast at say a 15 caster lvl or so?

Goal here is to make a pit (create pit spell) under the mobs, they fall in, add water, add all sorts of fun spells to kill them. The setting is just an avarage underground castleish dungeon. There are no lakes/rivers nearby. we are currently lvl 11-13 and have an old PC that no one is playing anymore stay back at the fort makin us whatever we need.

If anyone can think of any better ways to fill the pit faster than say a Decanter of endless water (35 gallons/ round) or any fun spells to use on said mobs in the pit of water your assistance is much appreciated :D Spells im currently thinking of are summon sharks/ pirannah, and spells from the Stromwrack domain Blackwater.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-03-05, 08:25 PM
The equation is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm);

so (1/2)(15)(2000) for a continuous use magic item = 15,000 gp

If you're using water, I'd suggest a Summon Monster for an electric eel. Or maybe to have the bottom of the pit be laced with a solid version of your favorite acid.

Panzerbjorn
2013-03-06, 05:36 AM
Sweet, that link is exactly what I was lookin for :D Thank you.

Do electric attacks do double damage to targets in/touching/submerged in water?

TuggyNE
2013-03-06, 08:49 AM

Not that I know of.

Vaz
2013-03-06, 09:57 AM
Sweet, that link is exactly what I was lookin for :D Thank you.

I believe there are rules for being submerged in acid; perhaps use similar rules when an electric shock goes off.

HalfQuart
2013-03-06, 12:10 PM
As I quoted in another thread earlier today, from the DMG:

Each of the magic items presented here was examined and modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point.
So you definitely need to run any custom items by your DM before you say, "But that's what the formula said it would cost!"

HalfQuart
2013-03-06, 12:23 PM
RAW, I don't think so. In the campaign I'm playing currently, lightning bolt in water behaves like fireball normally, but I'm pretty sure that's a carry-over from 1st/2nd edition rules, or just an outright house rule. Unless the spell/effect says it behaves differently, it doesn't... Page 93 of the DMG has a section on Underwater Combat, and after a quick skim it has exceptions for fire-based attacks, but not other types. Just imagine it's magical electricity, not physical electricity, and doesn't conduct in the same way.

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-06, 12:24 PM
My handbook, while not specifically talking about this, does mention pretty much most/all of the ways to get magic items that cast spells which don't run out.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aG4P3dU6WP3pq8mW9l1qztFeNfqQHyI22oJe09i8KWw/edit

Panzerbjorn
2013-03-06, 07:17 PM
After showing my DM that chart he is helping me make a rod that is basically a supercharged Decanter of endless water.

Thanks for all the feedback yall :)