PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler threads, deductible title

Ronan
2013-03-05, 09:57 PM
I've been thinking of an option for the bigger surprises in the comic: Often, there's the thread with a spoiler, and the text is in its place, spolier'ed. But there isn't an option for the title. Sadly, I got one about last comic: the vampire thing. You sometimes don't need to read a thread(by misclick for example). You can deduct it from the title.

So instead of a problem, I'll give a solution:

A checkbox for readers of the forum(Spoiler Titles/threads: ON/OFF)
if the check box is on, then the creator of a thread has a similar checkbox for writing:

The first option(read) off nothing changes
The first option(read) on if flagged, spoiler threads can be hidden
The second option(write) off doesn't flag the spoiler threads
The second option(write) on flags the spoilerish threads

If a thread has spoilers and the read option is on, the title can instead of hid, appear just "spoiler". The text can be white, for curious people :smallbiggrin:.

So all the writer has to do is mark his threads from now on. If he sees he's writing spoiler, just mark the checkbox to make the thread be like [spoiler] (text=white) Belkar is a ranger (/white)

Then, the reader does the same to avoid reading spoilers. The threads don't appear at all. Non spoilerish threads won't be marked and the text will be normal.

It's quite a simple thing to code, I believe.

Reader that doesn't care about it, just turn your option off.
Writer that doesn't care about it, think about those who do :smallwink:

Thanks!

Procyonpi
2013-03-05, 10:00 PM
1. Shouldn't this be in the board issues subforum or whatever?
2. Considering the forum doesn't currently have a functioning search feature...

Ronan
2013-03-05, 10:21 PM
1. I guess so, but I don't know how to move it. Do I just copy/paste and delete this one?

2. Actually, the first option is a formality. The second one(for who writes threads) is the important one.

jere7my
2013-03-05, 10:31 PM
Wouldn't it be easier just to avoid the forum until you've read the comic? Go to http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript to see if a comic has been posted, then navigate to the forum from there.

KillianHawkeye
2013-03-05, 10:32 PM
This is highly unlikely to happen.

If you want to avoid new comic spoilers, read the new comic before coming into the comic discussion forum.

Savannah
2013-03-05, 10:33 PM
1. I guess so, but I don't know how to move it. Do I just copy/paste and delete this one?

Report the first post and say you put it in the wrong subforum and where you'd like it moved to. Then the first mod who comes along can move it.

NerdyKris
2013-03-05, 10:42 PM
You can always just check the number of the comic in the sticky thread at the top of the forum before reading further, which is what I've been doing this week.

How long would you suggest such a spoiler time frame last? A day? Two days? Weeks? Really, what you're suggesting vs simply exercising a little bit of caution is a bit much.

It's quite a simple thing to code, I believe.

Any time you find yourself saying that, unless you are actually physically in the code right now, looking at it, then you're wrong. No matter what. What makes you believe this is simple? It's a massive change in forum functionality. That is anything but "simple".

The Giant
2013-03-06, 01:01 AM
If the thread starter had the courtesy to click the "spoiler title" thread box, they would also have the courtesy to not put spoilers in their title in the first place. If we went through the trouble to implement such a feature (and it would be a lot of trouble), we'd be spending all of our time chasing people who didn't know about it and put an unmarked spoiler in their title anyway. So, no real benefit for a not-negligible amount of work.

Plus, there are a lot of things we would rather spend our time fixing around here. Sorry.

Thread locked.