PDA

View Full Version : Best feats for low level full casters?

Seer_of_Heart
2013-03-05, 10:25 PM
I am building several level 5 full casters and I was wondering what the best feats are out there. I'm not going to need any prerequisite feats for prestige classes because the class progression is planned out. I am pretty unsure what are good feats because without DMM metamagic is almost impossible at level 5.

Ellrin
2013-03-05, 10:37 PM
It really depends on what kind of role you're going for, and what particular class you're talking about. I mean, if you want a summoning battlefield controller, spell focus (conjuration) -> augment summoning is a solid choice, if somewhat dull. Spell Penetration is always a solid choice for any full caster if you have a feat slot you don't know what else to do with. Arcane Mastery is pretty good for arcane casters, especially in conjunction with spell penetration.

The list of good feats goes on, depending on what you want to do with your caster.

Coidzor
2013-03-05, 10:38 PM
Precocious Apprentice is always nice, especially when paired with the Fiery Burst feat so that the low level caster has a reliable form of attack

Elric VIII
2013-03-05, 10:39 PM
Improved Initiative can be a caster's best friend. At very low and very high levels you can often find yourself playing rocket tag.

Extend Spell is always good, even at level 5.

Metamagic Feats in general have no level-based prerequisites (and you don't even need to be a csater to take them), so if you find yourself in the position of having lots of early feats and not enough high-level feats, don't be afraid to grab that Quicken or Extend/Persist at level 1. I find it helps my builds flow better. Also, the level at which you want to use said feats may not always align with the levels at which you can pick feats, so I prefer to get them early.

Reserve Feats can be a godsend during early levels, although for most of them you'll have to grab them as your 6th level feat (however I think the Wizard Bonus feat can be used for some).

If you gave us an idea of which characters you're making and what other stuff they want to do, it would allow us to be more specific.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-03-05, 10:47 PM
If you gave us an idea of which characters you're making and what other stuff they want to do, it would allow us to be more specific.

I'm not really building towards anything in particular. I'm just building skeleton builds that they can use as a base for new players in a game I'm DMing. The only 3 builds that I know can pick feats for is a summoning focused druid, a DMM cleric, and a Melee cleric. I was unsure of what feats would be good for a wizard or a sorcerer for example in general since PRC requirements usually suck up my feats for normal builds and there are no PRCs that have feat requirements that will be taken.

Elric VIII
2013-03-05, 11:11 PM
I'm not really building towards anything in particular. I'm just building skeleton builds that they can use as a base for new players in a game I'm DMing. The only 3 builds that I know can pick feats for is a summoning focused druid, a DMM cleric, and a Melee cleric. I was unsure of what feats would be good for a wizard or a sorcerer for example in general since PRC requirements usually suck up my feats for normal builds and there are no PRCs that have feat requirements that will be taken.

Well, if it's for the purpose of getting new players acquanted with the game, don't underestimate the basic feats like Spell Focus. Although not high-op, it is a solid feat (basically +5% chance that the enemy will fail his save). Or even things like Precise Shot for a ray-based caster can help ease them into the tactics behind proper targetting.

But, my advice in this case would be to go for reserve feats. Resource management can be an issue for newbies and these feats give them something to do every turn without having to burn through their whole allotment of spells or plink with a crossbow.

These feats are accessible to a 5th level Wizard (all from Complete Mage):

Acidic Splatter
Aquatic Breath
Blade of Froce
Clap of Thunder
Clutch of Earth
Dimensional Reach
Face-Changer
Fiery Burst
Hurricane Breath
Invisible Needle
Magic Disruption
Magic Sensitive
Shadow Veil
Sickening Grasp
Storm Bolt
Sunlight Eyes
Touch of Distraction
Wind-Guided Arrows
Winter's Blast

It's harder for Sorcerers to get them because they can't cast 2nd level spells at level 3 and don't get a bonus feat at 5.

Story
2013-03-05, 11:30 PM
spell focus (conjuration) -> augment summoning

You can get Augment Summoning without SF (Conjuration) via Planar Touchstone at level 5, assuming you have some way to get a general feat at level 5.

Unfortunately, Human Paragon is the only way I know of to do so, and that costs you a level.

Eldariel
2013-03-06, 08:28 AM
Usually:
- Awesome stuff like Uncanny Forethought, Arcane Thesis or Cloudy Conjuration
- Prepicking Metamagic you'll need down the line
- Easy Metamagic
- Craft Feats
- Obtain Familiar (if you traded it away for e.g. Abrupt Jaunt)
- Prerequisites

HalfQuart
2013-03-06, 10:07 AM
Spell Penetration is always a solid choice for any full caster if you have a feat slot you don't know what else to do with.
In my experience Spell Penetration isn't particularly useful until significantly later than 5th level. So I'd say hold off on it a bit, unless you REALLY can't find anything else to fill that slot (or you already have plans for all the higher level feat slots and still want to fit it in somewhere).

Eldariel
2013-03-06, 10:09 AM
In my experience Spell Penetration isn't particularly useful until significantly later than 5th level. So I'd say hold off on it a bit, unless you REALLY can't find anything else to fill that slot (or you already have plans for all the higher level feat slots and still want to fit it in somewhere).

Depends on the campaign too. Lots of drow, aberrations and outsiders for example? Get it early. Humanoids, animals, etc.? Don't bother. Tho Assay Resistance does fulfill its job admirably later on.

Devmaar
2013-03-06, 11:30 AM
Invisible Spell is awesome forever