PDA

View Full Version : 40th level warfare campaign strategy help

dwlc2000
2013-03-06, 12:02 AM
Hi gitp. I am going to play in a campaign where each player is 40th level and they duke it out until there is one person standing. We get an army of mortals based on our leadership score. I was wondering if i could get some help on fortress building. And beating spell resistance. All my foes will have crazy spell resistance. And of course advice for beating 40th level players, some spellcasters. Thank you giant in the playground in advance.

Matticussama
2013-03-06, 12:13 AM
Stronghold Builder's Guide will give you all of the resources you need in order to build fortresses. Since you're going to be so absurdly high level, definitely spring for the feat Landlord; it gives you free gold every level from which to build strongholds, and if you invest additional wealth from your WBL it matches that. Absolutely necessary for any national leader.

Beating spell resistance: Assay Resistance from Complete Arcane gives you a +10 bonus to overcome an enemy's SR. This stacks with bonuses from Spell Penetration, etc.

Advice for beating 40th level players: Be a spellcaster. Take Leadership and have your Cohort also be a spellcaster. You cannot beat a 40th level spellcaster unless you are also a spellcaster. Other than that, there are plenty of guides on how to optimize based on the class you choose. I'm particularly fond of Clerics, but Wizard or Druid would be fine for these purposes too.

dwlc2000
2013-03-06, 12:16 AM
Im thinking a conjuror or transmuter. Maybe a caster cleric. I forgot to mention we are gods as well, using the rules from deitys and demigods

Matticussama
2013-03-06, 12:23 AM
In that case, go for the Create Artifact Divine Ability. You can't beat giving your top level leaders items that will out-class those of their opponents.

Divine Spellcasting is a must. This may/may not stack with the benefits of Improved Spell Capacity (Epic Level Handbook) depending upon your DM. Combine with the Create Object and Create Greater Object Divine Abilities to take care of all of your material component needs forever.

On that note, Epic Spellcasting. Use your access to hordes of followers to mitigate spell DCs until your heart is content.

dwlc2000
2013-03-06, 12:42 AM
Yeah i decided on a wizard. Any tips on that? My cohort will be a cleric.

Randomguy
2013-03-06, 12:52 AM
Have you considered some sort of bard/sublime chord/virtuoso build? You could use dragonfire inspiration as well as a Howling Helm (MM5) to give all your allies within a few miles a huge bonus to hit and damage. Throw in dragonfire inspiration, possibly 10 levels in War Chanter to give all your followers full BAB as well, and some sort of group combat technique like teamwork benefits from PHB2, and your minions will tear through the enemy. And you'd still have 9th level spells.

RedDragons
2013-03-06, 12:53 AM
at level 40 am pretty sure you can animate object a friggen castle....

dwlc2000
2013-03-06, 12:54 AM
That could be an option. What is a howling helm? Could you poat its stats?

Randomguy
2013-03-06, 05:41 PM
It's a CL 15 helmet slot item that costs 20 000 gp, and it's found in the Monster Manual 5.

Here's the text:

Whenever desired, the wearer can whisper a command word
to amplify his voice up to the level of twenty humans shouting,
which can be heard from six miles away in an otherwise quiet
area. A second whispered command, which is not amplified,
ends the effect. The wearer can utter a different command word
to use greater shout, as the spell, once per day.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-06, 06:02 PM
Straight wizards get epic wizard bonus feats in addition to the normal epic character feats. Over twenty epic levels, this stands to be a good number of feats. In particular, though, are the bonus feats from ~30th to 40th, which can qualify for even the highest requirement feats. You can hardly have enough Improved Metamagic, Improved Spell Capacity, Multispell, and so forth.

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-06, 06:23 PM
40th level D&D with the feat 'Epic Spellcasting' in play is a game of 'Let's Pretend!'

dwlc2000
2013-03-06, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the helm stats... that is a good build. I am currently deciding between the bard/sublime chord or a straight up, 40th level wizard. I'm thinking wizard.